Chapter One

The Music of the Lucifer

Jessica Jung sat on the bench right outside the school. Her boyfriend of 2 months, Kim Jonghyun, had told her that he had something to tell her. Jessica, who had been experiencing relationship difficulties with Jonghyun, could only hope for the worst but since she was an optimistic person, she decided to look on the bright side of things. With her was her backpack which she hugged happily. Why was she happy? Because she and Jonghyun had an argument the previous day and they fixed everything earlier today.

Or so Jessica thought.

Here comes Jonghyun, said her brain excitedly. Jonghyun was making his way down the stairs and as soon as he saw Jessica, he moved closer to her and asked her if he could talk to her some place quiet. Not that the place wasn't quiet, he needed a place that was intensely serene. And underneath the peach tree was that.

"Can I talk to you in private?" asked Jonghyun. Jessica fluttered her eyelashes but her heart was beating so ing rapidly. She knew the worst was to come. Jessica stood from where she sat and followed Jonghyun all the way to the back of the school yard where the peach tree stood.

"Okay, so what is it that you want to tell me?" Jessica asked using her cute voice. The voice that used to attract Jonghyun. Jonghyun just looked at her, obviously not swayed by the tone of her honey voice. Jessica knew this was bad news.

"Jessica, I think we need to stop this relationship." Jonghyun said. Jessica, the ever so cold yet ever so fragile Jessica Jung Soo Yeon, broke down in front of him as she had so many times over and over again. She ran away from him and sat back on the bench. Luckily for the two fo them, there was nobody around to see and pester them about what was going on.

Jessica was in a world of confusion and hurt and pain. But Jonghyun, being the "good" boyfriend that he was, according to him and to other people that is, comforted Jessica his soon to be ex-girlfriend right on the spot. He put an arm around her shoulder and embraced her tightly.

"Jessica, please don't cry. I'm only doing this because I love you so much. I can't stand seeing you cry and hurt all the time." but deep down inside, Jessica knew and maybe somehow Jonghyun thought that he just didn't love her no more and he wasn't up for the challenges that two people must face in a relationship. That's when Jessica felt used and ed up. She cried and cried and cried and Jonghyun did all his best to comfort her, even meaning to walk her to the front gate. All the while, Jessica was sad. She had forgotten about her anger and continuously blamed herself for the ruin of their relationship. In short, she forgot all about her ing pride, took it out of her heart and threw it on the ground, stomped on it over and over again. What she'd give to be with Jonghyun again. Actually, during their talking, Jessica begged and begged and begged for a second chance but the ing user named Kim Jonghyun refused to give it to her.

Spoiler alert. ing user Kim Jonghyun.

Well the reason actually why the named Jonghyun broke up with Jessica was because he loved his close friend and classmate, Shin Se Kyung. Shin Se Kyung was this really white, really smart, and super friendly girl who had been in the school at around the same time as Jonghyun. They practically entered the school together and being new students in the same year and being classmates as well as Jonghyun being the darned flirt that he was, they grew closer and though not many suspected that they were in a relationship with each other, Jonghyun had feelings for Se Kyung and Jessica knew about their friendship, matter of fact, she was cool with it during their relationship. But it just so happens that Jessica had this fear all along that Jonghyun was just using her as a cover up. Something to show Se Kyung that he could get a girl and wasn't as nerdy and as pathetic as others thought he was.

Who was this Kim Jonghyun anyways? Well he was a guy who loved to show off things that he didn't have. Jonghyun was smart, that was a plus. He excelled in Math and Science, much like Se Kyung. Jessica never excelled in any of those subjects but she was the batch's best English speaker as she was from America. This however wasn't enough to please other people. Comparing Se Kyung and Jessica, it was no doubt that Se Kyung was the more popular choice. That's why Jessica dreaded this day so much because she knew that Jonghyun would hook up with Se Kyung. Anyways, who was this Jonghyun? So as previously mentioned, he was an excellent student academically speaking but Jonghyun had this tendency to hang out with the wrong crowd, forcing himself too much on them just to fit in. Jonghyun was one of the younger students, therefore making him very immature. Jonghyun looked very nerdy, extremely nerdy as a matter of fact but he never saw that. He thought of himself as handsome (God, somebody whack him in the face!) and dressed up like the cool guys in school, not realizing that he looked like an idiot, a trying hard idiot, absolutely ridiculuous in them. He played basketball but was never (would never be) on the same level as the varsity guys. He even joined the varsity but he was never recognized. Jonghyun was friendly, or so he thought. He liked to join in on other people's conversations, just butting in though they were never really talking to him. Nobody really saw him as a friend. They ridiculed him a lot and thought he was weird.

That was Jonghyun's personality. In all probability, he tried so hard to fit in and failed miserably.

If that's the case, why was Jessica crying? Jessica was never ridiculed. Sure, they could care less about her and she was a bit bullied last year but they never really made fun of her the way they'd make fun of Jonghyun. So technically, Jessica was better than Jonghyun. First of all, Jessica's father graduated from a prestigious university in America, Jessica had been to America so many times and other countries, too; Jessica had more money and had a bigger house; Jessica had everything she ever wanted and more; and each time Jessica would ask for something, she'd get it right away. She was a spoiled brat and her life was grander than his. If anything, Jessica wasn't ugly. She wasn't as pretty as Se Kyung but she wasn't ugly either. So why exactly was she crying? It's like crying over a cheap, rag doll that was made in the same factory that makes your socks when you have close to a hundred beautiful Barbie dolls in your room.

Simple. Because Jonghyun was Jessica's first boyfriend. Or so she thought. Jessica really loved Jonghyun. During their relationship, she'd do anything for him and was like a waitress, offering her services anytime. Jonghyun however, was a lazy son of a who had no initiative but told everyone that he loved Jessica so much. He never really showed it enough to her and it annoyed her to a certain extent that she became paranoid and started to think that Jonghyun didn't, never loved her and she was just for show just to prove to his classmates who ridiculed him often that he could get a girl like most of them and he wasn't just another glasses-wearing, braces-showing, acne face, voiced nerd.

As Jessica reached the doorstep of the house she shared with her friend Tiffany. She knocked on the door but nobody received her. Thinking that the doorbell was already working, she tried ringing it but discovered that it wasn't. Feeling really sad and annoyed, she knocked and called for Tiffany altogether but her voice was too faint for anyone to hear. Good thing the window in Tiffany's room was open and she saw her friend standing outside waiting to be let in. A pair of feet dashed down the wooden stairs, as Jessica heard and after a few minutes of waiting, the door opened and Tiffany was standing in the doorway.

"Oh My freaking!" Tiffany said with her deep voice. Jessica's eyes were swollen and her honey colored skin was reddish. "What the ?" asked Tiffany as she escorted her best friend into the house. As soon as Tiffany shut the door, Jessica let all her emotions out, crying and crying, yelling and yelling. Tiffany couldn't do anything to comfort Jessica, heck she didn't even know why Jessica Jung was crying.

"What the are you crying about?" asked Tiffany angrily. She handed Jessica a napkin to wipe her tears away.

"J-J-Jonghyun…" Jessica stammered.

"You two fought again?"

"We're ing done! He broke up with me, Tiff!" Jessica screamed and bolted back into crying. Tiffany-who had been single since she was born-rolled her eyes and thought, That's why it's better to stay single. Jessica explained everything to Tiffany. Tiffany who had no experience could offer no advice but to get over the .

"You've never had a boyfriend before that's why it's so easy for you to say that." Jessica answered back.

"Well he treated you like bull!" Tiffany feistily suggested.

"Know you're right!" Jessica wiped her nose with the napkin and sat up straight.

"Exactly! Besides, it's obvious that he loves Se Kyung." Tiffany grunted, sympathizing with her friend.

"That vanilla !" Jessica said between gritted teeth. "That boyfriend-stealing vanilla !" she pounded at the table hard.

"No need to get angry at Se Kyung." Tiffany calmed her down. Jessica couldn't stop pounding her fist on the table.

"That homewrecking !" Jessica said angrily. "I knew from the start that she was the one Jonghyun loved. He gave her more attention than me. Bull! I just want to rip the hair off her head and display her baldness to the world!"

"Jessica, enough with the rage. It's not gonna do you any good. 'Sides, Taeyeon and I are planning a getaway. Just us girls. Need some time to relax from school, Sica. Can't be stressing all the time."

"This is pride and dignity we're talking about, Tiffany."

"Pride and dignity? Jessica, it's over. Alright? When it's over, it's done. Don't dwell!"

"I think if Jonghyun had treated me right, I wouldn't feel bitter. See, he ing used me. And I'm a living person. I shouldn't be used. And to think that for 2 months I was a doll and I didn't know about it til now!"

"Well you guys were having a rough week!"

"! I need to get this anger out of my system!"

"Just go on a getaway! Have some time for yourself!"

" that." Jessica sniffed with a stoic stare. "I want to get even. I want to get revenge. I don't ing care how or where or when or involving who. I just want to get even. I want him to feel the pain I'm feeling now!"

"Jessica! Oh my God!" Tiffany grunted.

"Can grunt all you want, Hwannie, nothing you or that Se Kyung can say will stop me." Tiffany rolled her eyes and left Jessica in the living room. Taeyeon, their other housemate, was about to come home.

[THE NEXT DAY]

Jessica tried to get up for school upon Tiffany's persistent waking. Jessica eventually got to her feet and dragged herself to the shower. After a quick shower, Jessica dressed up and headed for school with nothing but anger, revenge, and a pinch of sadness in her mind and heart. All she wanted was some sort of sign for her to get even with Jonghyun.

At school, sure enough, she saw Jonghyun walking down the corridor with that Se Kyung girl and she hated to admit it but it broke her heart. Seeing him all smiles after breaking up with her-and with another girl, just made her blood boil.

Ah, so I'm that easy to replace, huh? Well, let's see who'll come begging for forgiveness when I get my revenge. Scenes from the movie "Carrie" began to flash in Jessica's brain and she imagined herself locking Jonghyun and Se Kyung in a room and punishing them, toasting them to death with her telekinesis.

"That would be so awesome." Jessica said out loud, unaware that she was making noise. She saw Jonghyun and Se Kyung and she knew that they saw her too but refused to mind her. Maybe it was because they were already getting started and he was courting her already. you s! I'mma push that Chemistry and Algebra straight up your , Jonghyun. And as for you, Shin Se , how's about stuffing those straight A's into your . Don't wanna get ed too early to ruin your dreams of becoming an engineer. -face!

Jessica sat in class with her other classmates and looked around, trying to see if Jonghyun or Se Kyung (or the two of them) would pass by. If they had looked her way earlier, Jessica thought, she would've given them the finger as she had given them the finger in her dreams several nights ago. She even had a dream about her giving Se Kyung the finger which was made of a knife. How she wished it was like that in real life.

If only I could have that knife for a finger, I'd stab Se Kyung in the brain. Jessica found herself becoming increasingly violent, as far as thinking was concerned. She thought of nothing but the revenge that she was plotting on the two. She could just imagine the look on their faces when they're sufferring. Jessica knew this and loved it. She couldn't wait.

But how? Reality snapped its fingers in front of her and said, Hey Jessica! Wake up! "Carrie" is just a story. You're a real person! How in 's name do you think you're gonna get powers like that? The best you can do is just accept the fact that the immature dumped you because you weren't hot enough! You were fat in his standards and too dark! That's right! He's just one of those s…those s who think they're real men because their preferences are girls who are whiter than milk and flirtier than Marilyn Monroe. Face it, you will never get him back. You will never get him. Revenge or what.

Shut up, said the other side of Jessica's brain which was Will. If I want to get revenge on him, I will because he deserves every single bit of that came to me. He deserves to suffer as much as he made me suffer. And I will get him. Even if I have to throw myself from a 50 foot building, I will get my revenge. those who are saying that we should be friends. He suggested that we should be friends but him! He treated me like a piece of chicken crap and he expects me to still be friends with him? God! Was he born in an asylum?

" yeah he was!" Jessica said. Her seatmate, Ji Hoon, bolted awake and looked at her with eyes that wondered 'Who the is she talking to?'.

The day ended with Jessica feeling even more down and even angrier. She needed to find a way to exact her revenge on them. On him, namely but since Se Kyung got in the way when their relationship was falling apart and the fact that Se Kyung didn't even consider her feelings, it made her part of the equation, too.

Taeyeon, Jessica, and Tiffany were housemates. Tiffany belonged to another level while Taeyeon studied at another school. Tiffany knew Jonghyun and had seen Se Kyung but never really got the chance to know them but based on what Jessica had bee telling Tiffany, it seemed as though Jonghyun wasn't a just man.

" you s! you with all the ing curses in the curse dictionary!" Jessica muttered under her breath. She could swear that some or even most if not all of her classmates think she was crazy. She had been caught off guard murmuring things to herself and saying things out loud. Jessica had been alone for the time being and this was proof enough to her classmates and friends that she had gone crazy after the breakup.

Let them think what they want to ing think. I don't care if they label me as the craziest in the batch! If there's anyone crazier than me, it's that dickhead Jonghyun and his of a girlfriend Se Kyung.

What Jessica didn't realize though was that Jonghyun and Se Kyung were just friends and it was no different from Jessica hanging out with Onew and Key. Jessica had other thoughts, though. She believed that Jonghyun had officially replaced her.

When I exact my revenge on you two motherers, you will crawl to me, beaten, bruised, bloodied and remorseful. Jonghyun, you will kiss my shoes and when that happens…

Jessica was thinking this thought while walking down the road back home. She had her books pressed on her chest, held by her arms. Once again, she had been thinking and she was unaware that she was close to thinking out loud.

"You will slobber on each and every single toe on my feet. And you, you Shin Se Kyung! Manstealer! You have a boyfriend back at home why with mine! You're the reason why we broke up! You deserve hell on-" Jessica had been thinking out loud way too much that she failed to see the Stitions R'Us store that was a short walk away from their house.

"Stitions R'Us? What kind of a ing name is that?" when you're fresh from a breakup, you're angry at everything. Curiousity made Jessica walk toward the mahogany colored store. It looked kind of old, especially with the things that it was selling. It had crystal balls, cards, incantations, spells, candles and whatever things that could make a fortune teller or a witch's boat float or in the witch's case, broom fly. Jessica peered through the window and was greeted by darkness.

Strange. Why are there no lights in here? They choose to operate in the dark? Jessica thought. An old lady suddenly appeared and opened the door, making Jessica shriek in fright.

"Don't be afraid, my dear. Come inside." invited the old lady. The old lady had curly hair and wore a red dress and a shawl around her shoulders. Jessica looked at the old lady oddly but with an expressionless face. She followed her all the way into the store and looked at all the items being sold with caution.

"Uhm. So this is supposed to be a supersitions store?" asked Jessica.

"Yes. It is a supersitions store. I have everything for the supersititious here. From crystall balls to incantations to spells-" Jessica heard the magic word. Spells.

"Did you just say spells?" Jessica cut her off, asking with enthusiasm. The old lady looked at her rather quick expression change. Earlier she looked so strained and bored but now, she had all the enthusiasm in the world.

"Yes. That's what I said. Spells."

"Do you have anything for revenge?" asked Jessica bluntly. The old lady rubbed her chin.

"Wait here. Sit on the couch first." Jessica's eyes widened with anticipation. That look on the lady's face and the gesture of letting her sit on the sofa was a sure sign that she had something for her. "Would you like some coffee while waiting?" asked the old lady. Jessica declined.

But if you bring me Jonghyun and Se Kyung right now I could use some of that coffee to burn their skin to peels. came her aggressive thought.

A few minutes later, the lady emerged with a music box, 4 candles, and a piece of paper as well as several bottles and spell books. They were all in a box but Jessica could see them clearly. Jessica looked puzzled and scooted to the left side of the couch to make room for the old lady. The old lady set the things down on her antique table and began to explain it to Jessica.

"Getting revenge on someone has a spell but of course it depends on the gravity of your you want to exact minor revenge, something that would cause temporary pain, then these potions are for you." the old lady took the potions out and showed them to Jessica. "If you want something that can cause pain for some time, longer than some, then use the spells in this incantations book." Jessica was still not convinced. Finally, she spoke up.

"I want something that will scar them til the day they die." Jessica said without changing the blank expression on her face.

"Then this one is for you." the old lady showed her the music box and the candles. The music box was old but beautiful. It was brown with intricate designs all over it and a wind up key on the left side. Jessica took it in her hands and studied it. Curiosity made her want to open it but the old lady snapped and snatched it away from her.

"Don't you dare open it without doing the ritual first!" she snarled. Jessica backed away, frightened. The old lady settled down and explained everything to her.

"This is perhaps the most dangerous revenge paraphernalia I have in my stockroom. The name of this music box is "Lucifer", yes, after the fallen angel. It works like this. At exactly 12 mn, shut the doors and windows in your room. Make sure you are alone for full concentration. Put the candles on the four corners of your bed and light them up. Wind the music box up but do not open it yet. There is a note underneath the box. That is the incantation that you must recite before the ritual begins. Once you have recited the spell, yell the names of the cursed ones three times, each time louder and louder. Lie down on the bed and sleep. The music will lull you to sleep. And in your dreams, you will exact the revenge you've always wanted…" The old lady explained.

"Woah." Jessica looked rather confused and dissatisfied. "What'll happen to them in real life?"

"They will not experience the pain they have experienced in your dream but they will suffer pain. Think of it as dream voodoo. They will get hurt physically and will get haunted." said the old lady.

"Sounds interesting. Not bad, actually." Jessica approved of it. "Just a question, will they die?"

"Eventually. This ritual must continue for seven nights. On the seventh night, that's when they will be taken." Jessica cocked her head to the side and smirked.

"That's exactly what I want!" Jessica smirked. "I'll take it. How much we talking?"

"Since you're my first customer, I'll give you a pretty discount. 160 won?" asked the lady.

"I don't care how much this thing is. If it costs a million or a billion won, I'd rob all the banks in here for it. I just want them to die!" Jessica said.

"Alright then. Pay up." Jessica was the kind of person who did crazy things when angry so out of intense frustration, she pulled out her wallet and handed it to the old lady. The old lady's eyes widened.

"Happy? There's your money! Just give me the music box."

"A word of warning, my dear." the old lady said with a scary voice. "That music box is very dangerous and it can eat your soul. When you do the ritual, you must wake up as soon as the song ends…"

"And what'll happen if I don't wake up?" Jessica asked.

"The devil will drag you to hell…" said the old lady. "Buy it at your own risk." Jessica wasted no time in getting the product and carrying it along with her books.

"My mind's all made up. I don't even need to think about this." Jessica dashed out of the shop and walked all the way home.

I don't care what ing happens to me. What I want is for them to die and simmer, boil, stew, fry, and steam in hell. If I die, it. What I want is for them to die. Ahead or after me, they must die.

Just then, Jessica's phone rang. She picked it up and answered blandly.

"Hello?"

"Jessica, it's Tiffany. You said you weren't coming with us on our getaway so we're leaving the house to you. Take care of it, okay. Taeyeon and I will be gone for a week." Tiffany said. Jessica felt her heart leap with joy. They would be gone for a week and she would have the house all to herself. Perfect, she thought, she could execute the routine without anyone knocking on her door asking if everything was okay because they thought they heard her experiencing convulsions.

"Okay. I got it." Jessica answered and just when Tiffany was about to warn her about not letting strangers in, she hung up. No need to tell me to not let strangers in. I think I'm old enough to know that.

Upon reaching home, the first thing Jessica did was study the music box.

I can't ing wait. I hope you two are excited, too.