96

Their Kingdom Panorama

 

/ / / / /
 
So Rae stepped out of the kitchen when the doorbell rung. 
 
“Ahjumma, I’ll get it,” So Rae offered leaving behind the pot of easy cake mix. 
 
Opening the front door she rushed down the stone steps toward the gate door. When she unlocked it she found herself staring back at Donghae. She hadn’t expected to see him and she assumed that he hadn’t expected to see her either. 
 
They were quiet without greeting. 
 
“Are you here to see Victoria?” So Rae guessed. 
 
“Yes.” 
 
So Rae stepped back to make way for him. He stepped in without a word and she closed the gate. 
 
When she turned around she found Donghae staring up the stone steps. 
 
“Victoria hasn’t spoken about you these days,” So Rae honestly said, “she’s been quiet, but she’s been going out every evening for some fresh air and returns late.”
 
There was nothing for him to say, really. 
 
“Lee Donghae,” So Rae called. 
 
He turned to look at her quietly. His face mixed with a million frustrations and expressions. 
 
“I’m sorry,” So Rae apologized. “I’ve ruined the happiness that could have been yours.” 
 
Donghae turned away from her again. 
 
“I don’t know if that really helps,” he quietly muttered. 
 
So Rae started toward the stairs, “Come on up, anyway. Victoria’s speaking to my father right now. I’ll ask her if she wants to see you or not.”
 
/ / / / /
 
When she walked out of her father’s study she found So Rae at the top of the stairs. 
 
“Lee Donghae wants to meet you, I didn’t know if you wanted to see him or not so I let him stay in the waiting room. I can tell him to leave if you don’t want to see him.” So Rae offered. 
 
She pondered the thought for a second. 
 
“No, I’ll go see him.” 
 
She found Donghae waiting patiently while staring at the floor. When he noticed her he got up immediately. 
 
“Are you ok? You’re not hurt too badly?” he worried. 
 
“Sit down,” she walked toward him. 
 
It’d be the first time the two of them would be having a conversation ever since he’d broken up with her. It was such a funny thought. 
 
“I was curious about how you were doing, but when I went to see you they told me you already checked out,” he started.
 
Victoria stared at him before he silenced. She took a seat beside him and held her hands together.  
 
She smiled, “It’s been forever, huh? You’ve gotten thin.” 
 
He stared at her quietly. His eyes softened at once and she could see the sadness flying through him as well as the happiness he was feeling with seeing her. But Victoria…couldn’t feel the happiness at all. 
 
Victoria reached into her pocket and pulled out the key to her grandmother’s place. 
 
Placing it into the palm of his hand she began, “You’ll take care of it, won’t you? And bring the Three Musketeers there with you, too.”
 
“W…why?” 
 
Victoria balanced out her thoughts and tried not to look at him for the sake of crying, “I’m tired and my heart is asking for some time alone. I can’t sort out my feelings if I continue to stay here and see you. My source of pain comes from you, do you know that?” 
 
He pressed his lips together, however still kept his gaze fixed on her. 
 
“I’m leaving and I won’t be back anytime soon,” she continued feeling her eyes glitter with tears, “so…if you have a change of heart and decide to move on, I can understand you.” 
 
They were quiet. 
 
“Eat more and take care of yourself,” she told before getting up to leave. 
 
Once out in the hallway she ran up the stairs dashing toward her bedroom. Closing the door behind her she clasped both hands around to silence the sobs that were attacking her. It had been so nice to see him…yet it had been so awful to see him. 
 
/\_____/\
 
That night when he returned to his place, he cried to sleep. 
 
He should have realized it at first when Victoria had confessed to him that he’d liked her too. The love that had built itself up inside his heart had become so strong. Now when Victoria wanted to get away, he didn’t want her to. He wanted to hold her back and beg her to stay with him. They’d run away together and start anew somewhere… Was it that hard to ask for? For a perfect beginning with her again? How long would he have to wait in order to be beside her again? 
 
He’d done something really bad…he’d hurt her so bad. If only he’d believed in them…if only he’d held onto her with much more dignity. 
 
/\_____/\
 
“Studying abroad?” Kyuhyun repeated. “That doesn’t sound too bad. You won’t be scared being all alone, will you?” 
 
“If you weren’t scared, I won’t be scared,” Victoria smiled. “I’m excited.” 
 
“It’s a good thing,” Kyuhyun told, “it’ll be a lot of fun too and you’ll have so much things to do that you won’t have anytime to worry about anything else. But…don’t forget to take care of yourself.” 
 
“Of course,” Victoria answered, “you’ll e-mail me a lot, won’t you? And you won’t mind if I have a lot of questions to ask you?” 
 
“Well…I don’t know about the last part.” he teased. 
 
A week later she departed for the airport. 
 
“Don’t forget to write,” Mi Sun reminded. 
 
“Ok, I know.” Victoria replied then turned to So Rae giving her a hug. “You and dad take care of yourselves.” 
 
“Don’t forget to do that too,” So Rae told. “Hurry up or else you’re going to miss your flight.” 
 
“Don’t get lost in the airports!” Mi Sun called after her. 
 
Stopping in front of the gate, Victoria turned around to wave at them. 
 
/\_____/\
 
2 years later…
 
Donghae raced out of his apartment, down the stairs, and fought for a taxi the next morning. He’d just been promoted from secretary to team leader in the office and he couldn’t afford to screw up just yet. The new management department head was so difficult to handle. 
 
When the taxi stopped in front of the company he rushed up the stairs and raced with the others toward his desk. 
 
“Hey! Watch it! No running!” someone shouted. 
 
Donghae raised a hand in reply as he sat down at his desk. Rubbing the computer screen he reached for the monitor and pressed the button to turn it on. Smiling and stretching he glanced at his calendar. The date had been circled with a red pen and he’d been counting down the days. His gaze lowered to the only picture he had of himself and Victoria. 
 
“Donghae! Lets go for some coffee!”
 
“Uh! I’ll be there!” jumping up from his desk he hurried down the hall. 
 
/\_____/\
 
“Has the meeting started?” Kyuhyun asked walking into the large meeting room. 
 
“Not yet, sir.” 
 
“Ok, good.” 
 
He sat down and turned to stare at the calendar hanging in the room with a smile. 
 
/\_____/\
 
“And this is some new buyer,” Mi Sun handed the papers over to So Rae. “Why are you late every morning?” 
 
“My new chauffeur kind of ,” So Rae replied. 
 
Mi Sun laughed, “Should have kept Lee Donghae.” 
 
“Perhaps I should have,” So Rae laughed, “but Victoria might get jealous.” 
 
Mi Sun joined her, “Is your father back home?” 
 
“Not until Saturday.” 
 
“So, you’re all alone? Want to go out for some drinks tonight?”
 
“I can’t, tomorrow’s the day.” 
 
“Ah…” Mi Sun remembered. “It is that day.” 
 
/\_____/\
 
Victoria closed her book and turned off the light above her. Setting it upon her lap she leaned back into the chair and glanced at all the other passengers, most were asleep and few were still up. 
 
Closing her eyes with a smile she drifted off into a light slumber before being awoken again. Walking through the gates she easily spotted Mi Sun and So Rae who were waving for her. She hurried toward them with a smile plastered on her face. 
 
“I missed you!” they told the other with hugs.
 
“Where’s father?” Victoria wondered looking around. 
 
“He’s currently in Busan, won’t be home till the weekend.”
 
“So, during this time we can party?” Victoria wondered. 
 
“Whoa! What have you been doing?” Mi Sun teased. 
 
After settling in at home and before dinner, Victoria headed out. She was anxious to see the Three Musketeers and how they’ve changed. They had certainly been on her mind a lot. 
 
“Victoria!” they shouted when they saw her. 
 
Victoria hugged them each excitedly. 
 
“You’re hair’s so long now! Why didn’t you cut it when Eunhyuk cut his?” she asked Yesung. 
 
“I look good this way!” he defended. “But how was your trip? Did you meet a lot of new people?” 
 
“Of course, I did! Do you think I stayed in all the time?” 
 
“Are you going to treat us to drinks tonight?” Eunhyuk cut in. 
 
“Not tonight, I have a feast waiting for me.” she smiled. 
 
“Then that means you’re coming back tomorrow evening?” Ryeowook questioned. 
 
Yesung elbowed him in the ribs. 
 
Victoria watched with a curious smile, “Why? Is something going on?” 
 
Eunhyuk turned to them with a face then returned to Victoria, “It’s nothing.” 
 
“Ok.” Victoria smiled. 
 
After taking the longest shower that night she walked out to find Mi Sun and So Rae whispering to each other. Running over to join them on the couch she found that the two suddenly turned surprised. 
 
“Why?” she asked. “What’s going on?” 
 
“Nothing.” Mi Sun smiled. “Lets watch some drama. You’ve missed quite a lot.” 
 
Sleep was blissful and she woke up late the next morning to discover that So Rae had already left for work. She walked around the house and went out when she received a call from Cho Kyuhyun. 
 
“Here,” he handed her an ice cream cone. “How was England? Did you like it? Do you know how to speak a little English?” 
 
“Staht the pahtee,” Victoria said. 
 
Kyuhyun frowned at her then laughed amused. 
 
“What? Isn’t that good?” Victoria asked .
 
“It’s good,” he lied trying to hide his laughter.
 
“How are your parents?” 
 
“My mother is more at peace than she has ever been before,” Kyuhyun explained, “we got her an electric wheelchair, so she’s always zooming in and out. Ah, and my father remodeled the stairs into a ramp. It’s tricky when you walk up and down.” 
 
Victoria laughed. 
 
“And you? Have you met anyone new?” 
 
“Not yet,” Victoria replied. “You?” 
 
He shook his head, “I’m more focused on work right now. My dad is being a real bummer about it.” 
 
Victoria laughed at his joke. 
 
He dropped her off at home and just before dinner Victoria exited the house. She’d decided to eat out with the Three Musketeers before going for drinks and perhaps they’d catch up with each other. A lot of thing should have happened during the 2 years she was gone. And…she also wanted to ask about Donghae. No one had spoke about him since she’d returned. She wondered why. Had he gotten married? Had he moved on? Or had he left Seoul? 
 
When Victoria turned around the corner she found it surprisingly quiet. Not even a homeless person was around. Did something happen? She looked around cautiously as she continued forward. Frowning she turned toward the shelter to find that it was quiet empty as well. Just where had everybody gone? 
 
Victoria turned toward the door and before she pushed it open guitar strings hit the air like magic. Her eyes went wide before fell an inch open. The person before her suddenly became visible and her insides filled with butterflies. She recognized this piece. Donghae had played it once for her that one night, but he hadn’t finished it. 
 
“Early one morning while you’re asleep, 
I woke up, saw you, and started to think,
I was searching for what I’ve already found, 
 
What we don’t know sometimes we fear, 
And what we don’t see sometimes it’s near, 
Now I realize I wanna settle down, 
 
Oh~ I wanna know what it’s like,
I wanna feel what it’s like, 
I wanna know what it’s like to be loved”
 
A smile grew onto her face as she turned away. Setting the guitar aside carefully, he started toward her with a smile full of bliss and confidence. The blue scarf she’d gotten him for his birthday had been tied neatly around his wrist.   
 
“Hi,” he greeted, “I’m Lee Donghae, you are?” 
 
A short laugh escaped her, “What’s this?” 
 
“I waited 2 years,” he went on, “although, I was swayed every now and then…” 
 
Victoria lightly punched him in the chest. 
 
“Are your feelings sorted out now?” he wondered. 
 
Victoria gazed into his perfect face. Without hesitation she drew herself forward and presented him with a long lasting kiss. 
 
“Where are the others? Have you kicked them out?” she asked. 
 
“I’ve sent them off on a mission,” he replied kissing her. 
 
“Where are they?” 
 
“I told you, they’re off on a mission,” he repeated. 
 
Victoria frowned at him and took a step back. 
 
“Should we go to my place?” he asked walking her out of the shelter. “I moved out and found an apartment. The guys are over at your grandmother’s house, but should we go do our own thing instead?” 
 
“And what is that?” 
 
“I don’t know. Since I’m still kind of terrified of your father, I’ll give you baby first. He’ll have no choice but to accept me that way.” 
 
“What!” 
 
“Well, we never really finished what we were doing last time,” he reminded, “turn off your cell phone this time. Don’t let So Rae or Mi Sun call you.” 
 
“Why!” 
 
“Cause tonight, I’m reserving you so we can have our own little angel.” 
 

***And so, this is the ending :D

***Thank you so much for sticking with me and reading every update. I really enjoyed this story and I hope you all did as well. Don't worry, this won't be the end of HaeToria just yet :D You guys are really the best!! I'll be looking to our next meetings!!!