80

Their Kingdom Panorama

 

/\_____/\
 
Victoria stopped by Kyuhyun’s that night. After dinner she made a trip up to the second floor. His mother was sitting propped up in bed like a doll looking through a magazine, which she noticed to be a bridal magazine. 
 
Making her way through the room toward her, Victoria sat pulled out the desk chair to the side of the bed, and sat down. 
 
“You’re here?” his mother questioned. 
 
Victoria nodded, “What are you looking at?” 
 
“Some dresses and designs for the wedding hall,” she explained, “you’ll look so beautiful in a laced dress. The hall would be full of flowery designs and bouquets would be placed on every table. You’d be walking on that white carpet dressed with flower petals. I’m sorry, my imagination is getting out of hand.” 
 
“Not at all,” Victoria smiled and reached out for the magazine, “can I look at it?” 
 
Cho Kyuhyun’s mother handed it to her gently. Victoria flipped through the pages observing the wedding dresses each model was advertising. They were beautiful and so well designed. Did she even deserve to be wearing one? 
 
She’d be walking down that white aisle, the bystanders would be watching anticipating with anxiety as her father handed her off to Cho Kyuhyun, then the priest would start the ceremony, they’d exchange vows, put on their wedding bands…
 
Why, though, wasn’t she feeling the slight bit of happiness? She’d ok’d it, she’d buried everything else inside her, so why couldn’t she bring herself to be happy at the thought of getting married? 
 
“And before I die, maybe holding a grandchild in my arms would be the most magical thing,” she said dreamily. 
 
Victoria reached for her hand and gripped it. 
 
“Don’t worry,” she told, “you’ll be sure to have one soon.” 
 
Closing the door to her bedroom Victoria started down the hallway depressed. Repressing her inner thoughts, she decided that getting some air would be best at the moment. When she took a step forward and glanced up she found Kyuhyun just reaching the top of the stairs. 
 
/\_____/\
 
He’d long lost his appetite, his head was spinning, and he was cold. Furrowing into his bed sheets he pulled the blanket over him and drew his knees up. Maybe he had really gotten sick. And perhaps he should have bought those medicine Victoria had advised him to. Who did he have to call to save him at the moment? 
 
Donghae could only think of Victoria, but the thought would have only mattered if he hadn’t pushed her away in the first place. She would probably be at Kyuhyun’s right now. He recalled her saying something about him at work. He felt so pitiful like a lost lamb. Victoria would be there for him, she always had no matter what. Where was she now? 
 
/\_____/\
 
“What did the two of you talk about?” Kyuhyun questioned curiously as they stepped outside. 
 
“Just…the wedding,” Victoria replied looking at him. 
 
He was silent before turning to look at her. By then they’d already stopped walking. 
 
“There’s still time to turn the clock around,” he said. 
 
Victoria turned away after a slight second of hesitation. 
 
“That’s a phrase that’s unbelievable,” she droned on, “what’s happened has happened. You were right, though, that I have to look out for everyone else as well. Anything foolish I do won’t just hurt me, but everyone else.” She turned around to look at him, “I thought about Lee Donghae for a long time and figured out that it was just infatuation on my part, because he never cared in the first place. Lets just get married, it’ll benefit our families, those around us, you, and me. I can, then, live an easy life.” 
 
He stared at the broken spirit in her eyes. Victoria made a reach for his hand and held onto it. 
 
“I’m trying, can’t you see?” she asked. 
 
His heart fluttered, but all he felt was a love-full sorrow for her. She was trying to hard, and at this point she wasn’t going to head for her own destination. The many things he’d said to her that night to hurt her, to persuade her to marry him made him feel much more guilty. How was he to spin back time and change his language? To tell Victoria that loving the man she loved wasn’t wrong? That he had only been greedy in spite of his too-kind appearance? 
 
How would he spend the rest of his life with a soul-less spirit? 
 
/\_____/\
 
Victoria awoke early the next morning, had her breakfast, and headed back up to her bedroom. Sitting down at her desk she wondered what she should do that day. Visit the three musketeers? She could perhaps check up on them and see if they were ok. But her legs didn’t move, her feet didn’t take the initiative to move toward the door. 
 
Why? 
 
She only remembered then that Donghae had been soaked that rainy night. Was he sick? He’d looked awfully pale and cold just yesterday. Maybe she should have checked on him better, but what if he misunderstood? What if she misunderstood herself? 
 
Shaking her head she told herself, “But he has no one to take care of him. As a friend, you should look after him. Don’t think too much about the insights of it.” 
 
Nodding her head she reached for her phone. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Pulling a thick sweatshirt on he turned around when his phone rung. Running out of the kitchen leaving his almost ready noodles, he dashed for the bedroom through the hazy fog that filled his eyes. A smile jumped his face when he saw that it was Victoria. 
 
“Hello?” 
 
Victoria was silent then asked, “You’re sick, aren’t you?” 
 
“Huh? No, I’m not!” 
 
“You have a stuffy nose,” she pointed out, “are you ok? I told you to get some medicine yesterday.” 
 
Was she worrying? Or had she just been simply curious? 
 
“I’m fine, don’t worry about it. Maybe sleeping in some will do.” 
 
“Oh…ok…” 
 
They were quiet. He hoped that she would suggest something, but she didn’t. Honestly, his heart yearned for some of her affection. 
 
“Do you want to cook me something? I don’t have anything to eat,” he lied glancing back at the noodle cup sitting atop the counter waiting for him. 
 
“Ok, I’ll be there in a bit,” she replied before hanging up. 
 
A hopeful smile lifted his face up and he turned around to toss the noodles into the garbage bin. Spinning around he looked around the place and dashed into the living room picking up after the clothes and garbage he’d left lying around. 
 
/\_____/\
 
So Rae walked into the kitchen in search of a snack, but paused by the table when she saw Victoria rummaging through the fridge. She snorted at her wondering what she was up to so early in the morning. Then the noise of something buzzing caught her attention. She turned to see Victoria’s phone lying on the table blinking. Donghae’s name flashed and she turned to look at Victoria who seemed to be deeply immersed in her current mission. 
 
Picking up her phone So Rae snuck a peek at the text. 
 
“Bring me some rice too!” 
 
Were they meeting up? At his place, was it? Setting the phone down So Rae eyed Victoria before a smirk appeared on her face. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Victoria counted the ingredients she’d packed up into the bag and nodded in approval of her own work. Grabbing her phone from the table she hurried up the stairs for the card key she still had. On the way out she called for the chauffeur and as she restlessly waited for him to get ready she hoped that Donghae hadn’t gotten too sick. 
 
/\_____/\
 
So Rae stepped out of her car and glanced back to see the chauffeur stopping at the intersection. Victoria was right behind her. If she made sure her timing was right, she’d be able to toss Victoria down that morning. 
 
Turning back around she glanced up at the large hotel building. 
 
“You’re waiting for her, aren’t you?” she asked Donghae. 
 
Pressing her lips together she walked into the building and got into the elevator. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Donghae turned around when the doorbell rang. His heart raced excitedly. He couldn’t wait to eat a meal cooked by Victoria. Half running toward the door he unlocked. His smile faded quickly when he saw So Rae standing there. She stared back at him before smiling and stepping in pass him. 
 
“Why are you so quiet?” she asked walking in and stopping by the living room. 
 
Shock and surprise seeped through him. What would happen if Victoria saw that So Rae was there? She would misunderstand him…
 
He needed to get rid of her. Closing the door he turned and started toward her. 
 
“Are you going to ask why I’m here?” 
 
Donghae swallowed and told himself to keep calm, “Do you need me to take you somewhere?” 
 
So Rae crossed her arms, “So you’re unwell, I see.” 
 
Donghae stared back at her. 
 
“You don’t look happy to see me,” she stated, “were you waiting for someone?” 
 
He averted his gaze then smiled, “You could have called me if you wanted to go out or something…” 
 
So Rae indignantly took a step forward so that she was practically standing in front of him. A beep at the door sounded signaling that Victoria had unlocked the door. Donghae’s heart leaped in utmost fear and he tried to turn around, but So Rae grasped his arm and held him into a kiss. His mind stopped, his body froze. Ignorant shock and surprise stunned him. 
 
Victoria’s name chased itself in his head. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Pushing the door open Victoria had been prepared to call out his name. When she looked up, however, all thoughts disappeared from her mind. So Rae had locked her arms around Donghae…
 
Victoria couldn’t bear to look on and the bag she’d been holding dropped from her hand. The ingredients she’d so carefully packed splattered on the ground and she turned with her eyes widening in despair. All the things she’d worked hard to bury in one night crawled up to the surface. She threw a hand over to cover any scream that might come out as her eyes broke out into a fiery madness of tears. 
 
She had to be dreaming. She wasn’t yet awake. Donghae would never kiss anybody else…Victoria couldn’t believe it. 
 
Foolishly, she turned to look at them once more. Why wasn’t he moving? Why wasn’t he pushing her off? Why…?
 
A small cry escaped her before she turned around rushing down the hallway toward the stairs. 
 
Her mind was in a blurry mess as she ran out through the doors. Where to go? Who to go to? Who would comfort her during such times? 
 
/\_____/\
 
So Rae stepped away from him and wiped her lips with her sleeve. Donghae turned to stare at her with widened eyes. 
 
She glanced at him coldly, “I know, you’re a good person, but you don’t quite attract me. If you’re hurt that I used you, I’m sorry. I only want to show Victoria because she hasn’t quite given up on you.” 
 
So Rae’s meaningless words rushed pass him and when the door closed behind him he spun around. The mess on the ground made his eyes shake. His heart quivered and his hands trembled as he got down on his knees to reach for the food Victoria had packed for him. His hands formed into a fist before he bent over hugging himself. 
 
What would Victoria think of him? In what kind of light would she see him? 
 
/\_____/\
 
“No! That’s not how you play it!” Eunhyuk loudly scolded. 
 
“You’re the one who doesn’t know!” Yesung shouted back. “Forget it! I’m not playing anymore!” 
 
“Hyung!” Ryeowook cried as he started off, but they quieted and the tension disappeared when they saw a lost Victoria staring at them. 
 
Her face was streaked with tears and she looked out of breath. Eunhyuk shifted away from the table and turned to get a better look at her. Before he could say anything she broke out into a loud sob running toward him. He took half a step back from the impact she brought with her as she collided into him. The loudest cry he’d ever heard from anyone broke out from her as she pressed her face into his shoulder and gripped her arms around him. 
 
Ryeowook and Yesung watched with worried expressions on their faces. Eunhyuk, on the other hand, as well as he was worried was feeling quite embarrassed for being the object Victoria had come to. 
 
/\_____/\
 
So much sadness seeped through her as more and more tears flushed through her. It was suddenly so hard to catch a hold of herself. Victoria had practically lost it. 
 
When she felt better she stepped back. 
 
Feeling horrible for having come to them so surprisingly she apologized, “I’m sorry.”
 
Another wave of sadness hurdled itself through her and more tears seeped through her eyes gushing down her face like a waterfall. She held up a hand to wipe her tears and cover her face. 
 
“I’m sorry…” she went on. 
 
With nothing to say and unsure of how to comfort her, Eunhyuk took a step forward putting his arms around her. Placing his hand on the back of her head he leaned her head against his shoulder. Victoria only cried more. 
 
It had been so hard. She had loved him so much. It had been so difficult to suppress all the anger and disappointment she’d felt toward everyone. There had been no way to express all of it and there had been no one to talk to. It had been so hard. 
 
Hours later Victoria found herself sitting against the wall with bitter tears still making their way out of her eyes. Sure, So Rae had done her in real good, but it didn’t change the fact that Victoria was beginning to hold a grudge as well. She was tired of listening to orders, obeying others when they pressured her, and giving in to everything that was supposedly her duty. Even Donghae now looked bitter in her eyes. He’d hurt her first, he’d lost faith in ‘them’ first. Victoria was through with being forgiving. 
 
“Are you ok?” Eunhyuk questioned. 
 
Victoria glanced at his soaked shirt, “It looks like you fell in a pool.” 
 
Ryeowook smiled, “At least you still have humor.” 
 
Yesung nudged him with an elbow, “So what happened?” 
 
Victoria wiped the rest of the tears on her face before sniffing back the congestion in her nose, “Nothing. They’re all meaningless things.” 
 
“Should we go out for drinks?” Yesung asked. 
 
“No,” Victoria told getting up, “not tonight.” 
 
Eunhyuk got up along with her. “Where are you going?” 
 
“I’m going to head back,” Victoria replied. 
 
“Like this?” Eunhyuk asked worried. “You look like a mess, how are you going to get back?” 
 
“I’m going to clear my head before going back.” she explained. 
 
“Don’t do anything foolish,” Eunhyuk said. 
 
“Yea, you can stay with us here for a while,” Ryeowook nodded. 
 
“Thank you,” Victoria looked them over with a smile, “you’re the only real friends I’ve got.” 
 
Turning around she walked out of the shelter. She wanted to change. She had to get used to this reality she wasn’t used to. She wanted to get back at those who’d hurt her. She wanted to see them hurt. 
 
Mung Soo’s smile looked more like a sneer, “What a coincidence it is that you’re actually In Tak’s niece.” 
 
Victoria stared into his eyes. 
 
“I heard there was a necklace you received on site,” Mung Soo went on, “does your father have it?” 
 
“Why?” Victoria asked cautiously. 
 
“I’m just wondering if it’s in safe hands. It’s an expensive piece,” Mung Soo smiled before patting her arm. “Lets leave it at that for now.” 
 
His voice…there had been something about his voice that sounded familiar. Victoria stopped in the middle of the pavement and felt people shove past her. Her eyes grew wide suddenly recalling. She should have realized it sooner. 
 
She recognized her father’s voice, but it was the person he was talking to that she didn’t recognize. Their conversation was on another level that left her mentally shocked. 
 
“I think pulling So Rae out of the company’s investment team will help us save our reputation. You know that girl is reckless. When she gets upset, she’ll do anything.” 
 
“Who will head the team?” her father asked. “So Rae has only studied investment all her life because I told her to. If we suddenly pull her out, what will So Rae do?” 
 
“Let her go work somewhere else,” the other voice assured, “So Rae will get along just fine.” 
 
“But why So Rae? Leaving her here in the investment team isn’t a bad idea and I appointed her to the position not too long ago. What will the industry say about me if I pull her out? It’ll harm the company’s reputation.” 
 
“Don’t you see the bigger problem at hand, Dae Jung?” the man sounded frustrated. “If you want to protect the company, you have to remove So Rae no matter what.” 
 
Her father seemed hesitant as a note of silence escaped him. 
 
“So Rae will find ways to topple you down, us down if she finds out that Man Shik is her real father! Don’t you know how angry she’d be?! That over all these years, you, her father has been deceiving her?” the other man started to raise his voice. 
 
Victoria felt her heart beat quicken. Man Shik…was who?!
 
“So Rae is starting to get suspicious. She’s asking everyone, so before she eventually finds out we need to get rid of her…”
 
To get rid of So Rae…Victoria lacked the power for that kind of act, but Mung Soo was her father’s right hand man. Her father would have definitely given him some real extent to power. In fact, if Victoria wanted to no longer be a victim of So Rae’s foul play she only needed to do one thing. It was so simple. It had been so simple all along. 
 
It was fact that So Rae’s ill intentions were strong. If she was angry they’d become even stronger. If Man Shik was revealed to her, how would the girl react? Victoria could only amuse herself with the thought. But she wouldn’t let his identity become clear just yet. When she’d boosted her own position in the company and had So Rae on edge to get fired up, she’d tell her then. And when she did become grudgingly angry she wouldn’t be able to do anything. Mi Sun would be an item of surprise as well. 
 
Dinner Sunday night was utterly refreshing for Victoria. It was the first meal she’d had with the family since Saturday morning. 
 
“It was nice seeing you and Donghae make out,” Victoria commented. 
 
Her father looked up from beside her. 
 
“I didn’t know you were already going over to his place, how romantic,” Victoria sarcastically remarked. “Father, if I happen to go into Cho Kyuhyun’s room, wouldn’t it be embarrassing if we were to be found out? But I guess So Rae can do it freely. Since she is her mother’s only daughter.” 
 
 So Rae sent daggers toward her. 
 
Victoria smiled also content with the fact that her father seemed embarrassed about what she was saying. Victoria, however, did not feel the slight bit of guilt. 
 
“Well, then, I’m full. Father, you and So Rae eat up,” Victoria said before leaving the dining room. She muttered halfway down the hallway, “Pathetic.” 
 
Once she reached the top of the stairs So Rae came chasing her just as she’d expected. 
 
“What do you think you’re doing?!” So Rae screamed at the top of the stairs. 
 
Victoria exhaled the calmest sigh she’d ever sighed and turned around, “Yes? So Rae?” 
 
So Rae’s eyes narrowed. 
 
“I dropped the ‘unnie’ from your name, because you don’t even deserve to be called ‘unnie’,” Victoria explained, “from now on, I’m your ‘unnie’, got that?” 

***Victoria's severely hurt and now she's starting to hold grudges. Her utmost goal at the moment is to kick So Rae out of the company :))

***More of her transformation will be unveiled in the next chapter :D

***Vic's lost all respect for So Rae at this moment, so now So Rae will be referred to as only 'So Rae' with no unnie at the end