74

Their Kingdom Panorama

 

So Rae was dominating the conversation. What could he say to help himself? He had no money, he was just a wanderer on the streets. 
 
“You know it as well as I do,” she stated, “that Victoria’s troublesome life will end only if she marries Cho Kyuhyun. You want the best for her, don’t you? If you really love her, let her go.”  
 
/\_____/\
 
“What?!”  Dae Jung screeched. 
 
His assistant stepped away from the desk and nodded. 
 
“The guards have driven them away. I’ve already put them on the watch for anyone who may want to get in,” his assistant explained. 
 
Dae Jung closed his eyes exasperated. “Call So Rae in.” 
 
The door opened a few minutes later and So Rae walked in casually. 
 
“Did you have something to talk to me about?” she questioned holding her hands in front of her. 
 
He tossed the binder in his hand down onto the desk creating a loud noise, which echoed throughout the room. So Rae calmly looked at her father. 
 
“It was you, wasn’t it?” he said. 
 
So Rae didn’t respond. 
 
“Answer me!” 
 
“Yes, I did it.” 
 
“What do you think you’re doing?! What are you going to gain by setting up your younger sister?! You’re her older sister, you’re supposed to look after her!” 
 
“I am looking after her,” So Rae said. 
 
“In what way?! In what way?! It looks your like you want to tarnish her image along with the company’s!” 
 
“Father,” So Rae called with the lowest tremble in her voice, “have you wondered why Victoria has been rejecting the wedding proposal?” 
 
Her father’s face changed immediately. Curiosity dominated, but his anger hadn’t yet subsided. 
 
“What are you talking about?” 
 
“Why don’t you ask Victoria about it?” 
 
/\_____/\
 
Victoria couldn’t concentrate. She couldn’t set her mind at peace. Kyuhyun’s words had really done her in and So Rae’s slap had left her heart burning with silent fury. She didn’t know how to take it anymore. 
 
So what if they wanted her to marry Kyuhyun? How would that help better her future when she’d practically be living in torture? She couldn’t stand to let her feelings become miserable. She couldn’t live with a lie like that. She wanted to become someone like her mother. A person who’d remained loyal to her lover until she died. Just like that she wanted to remain loyal to Donghae no matter how difficult things got. 
 
Then why…did it seem that it was so hard? 
 
Her phone vibrated and she took it out. 
 
“What are you thinking about?” it was Donghae’s text. 
 
“Work.” 
 
“Liar, I saw you staring into space.” 
 
“Nothing, I’m fine, really.” 
 
“Did the reporters scare you this morning?” 
 
“No, I think you’re the scariest person.” 
 
“^^”
 
Footsteps approached and Victoria slipped her phone into her pocket. So Rae smiled at her mischievously before walking pass. Victoria could only wonder what trouble was brewing next. 
 
/\_____/\
 
“Dig out Man Shik’s past.” So Rae ordered Mi Sun who was sitting on the couch. 
 
Mi Sun didn’t answer. 
 
“Did you hear me?” 
 
“Are you sure you want to go that far?” 
 
“They’re definitely hiding something from me.” So Rae said. “I’ll find out what it is for sure.”
 
“I just want you to be careful.” 
 
/\_____/\
 
Victoria had quietly packed up her things and was ready to call it a day. The office door behind her opened and she turned to see Mi Sun walking toward her. She didn’t know whether her first impression of the woman was right anymore. As more time passed bu, Mi Sun seemed more different. Or rather, she was too much of a loyal friend to So Rae that it was almost scary. 
 
“You’re just leaving?” Mi Sun asked. 
 
Victoria assumed that she’d been waiting for this chance when she was the only one left. 
 
“Do you want to talk with me about something?” Victoria said. 
 
Mi Sun smiled, “You read my mind.” 
 
They found themselves sitting inside a café. As usual, Mi Sun was having her full day’s worth of caffeine. Victoria wondered if the woman ever slept. 
 
“I’ll get to the point,” Mi Sun told, “don’t let So Rae find out who Man Shik is.” 
 
Victoria wanted to sarcastically snort. Mi Sun wasn’t her sister, but her sister’s friend. How did that make her someone who could order her around…so much? 
 
“Why don’t you just tell her that she can’t?” 
 
“I’m her personal assistant. I have to say yes to everything she asks of me, it’s my job.” 
 
“I’ll be honest with you, I think you are just making this hard.” 
 
Mi Sun smiled, “I know, but that’s also why I’m going to take my time digging up his past. So while I try to buy some time, help me stop her.” 
 
Victoria wanted to roll her eyes so badly, “It’d be a miracle, if unnie decides to take my words into consideration.” 
 
“Because we’re the only ones who know. Who do you want me to spill this to? Cho Kyuhyun?” 
 
Victoria blankly stared at her. Her humor was really, really bad. Mi Sun’s retort was actually childish. 
 
“I’m telling you, I can’t promise anything.” 
 
What did they want to do to her? Push her into another corner? Victoria refused to be played like that. 
 
When she got home the ahjumma walked up to her. 
 
“Your father is waiting for you in his study.” she told then snickered, “I wonder what you did this time.” 
 
Ignoring her blatant attitude, Victoria started up the stairs. Just what else had So Rae leaked out? 
 
Her father was sitting erect in the same chair he always sat in when she opened the door. 
 
“Did you eat out?” he asked. 
 
“I was with Mi Sun,” Victoria replied. 
 
“Come in.” 
 
She walked in and sat down on the seat adjacent to his. 
 
“What is it? Is something wrong?” Victoria started. 
 
“Chairman Cho talked to me about your refusal to the wedding,” he said, “is there a reason why?” 
 
So, So Rae really hadn’t said anything? It was a little easier than she’d expected. 
 
“You’re not having troubles you’re not talking about?” 
 
“No.” 
 
“Or do you just not like Kyuhyun?” 
 
“No, that’s not it…”
 
“Is it something to do with your friend, Lee Donghae?”
 
The walls seemed to be moving inward. Victoria’s world silenced itself. 
 
“And Lee Donghae. If your father finds out, what’ll he do to him? Think about it. Lee Donghae would lose his job and the things he has in his life right now. Your father will make sure that he’ll never be able to stand again.”
 
Kyuhyun’s word petrified her almost immediately and all the worst scenarios she’d seen in the many dramas she’d watched became a horror in her mind. 
 
“No.” she was quick to answer. “Why would you ask? I already know, you won’t accept anyone who’s not Cho Kyuhyun.” 
 
Bang Dae Jung pursed his lips together and sighed with a nod. 
 
“But…father,” Victoria wondered, “what would you do…if the man I want to marry isn’t Cho Kyuhyun?” 
 
“That wouldn’t happen.” 
 
/\_____/\
 
Kyuhyun hung his head back and glanced at the dark stars above. For the first time in a long time, he had crept his way up to the open roof. He just wanted some air. 
 
Truthfully speaking, he wasn’t sure if it was right to go see Victoria after all that he’d said to her. If she would still turn to look at him, he would have to count himself lucky. But all he’d said was fact and Victoria needed to realize how much power her dad held, how much power she had as his daughter.  
 
Would Victoria be angry at him? Their wedding wasn’t just a simple wedding anymore, he realized. It was beginning to concern those around him as well. Their families, the people they loved, and their friends. It wouldn’t affect him as badly as Victoria, but he felt as if he could understand her. Her willingness to keep rebelling and pushing for own life…was admirable. He’d never had a life he wanted because he’d simply been introduced to only one path since he’d been born. 
 
Victoria was really lucky she’d had a life before all this. 
 
His fingers moved on instinct and he started creating the deep melody that had first introduced him to Victoria. He was beginning to love the song more and more. 
 
/\_____/\
 
The sight of So Rae pissed her off every time. And every time she saw So Rae she’d remember Man Shik. When she remembered Man Shik she recalled Mi Sun asking her to stop So Rae. Just how cruel could they all be? When would her life be her own life again? How many secrets had her parents hidden away? 
 
Victoria watched the sun go down and rise. When she arrived at work, Donghae wasn’t there.
 
/\_____/\
 
Donghae knocked on the large framed wooden door. He was quite nervous, actually, about why he’d been called in. Worries filled him one by one. Had he done something wrong? Did he do something that did not satisfy the company? Or had So Rae been up to something?
 
“Come in,” his voice called. 
 
Twisting the doorknob that would decide his fate, he was greeted by a large bookshelf opposite of him before he swerved to the left where President Bang Dae Jung sat behind his grand desk. Donghae offered a deep bow before facing him. 
 
“Good morning, President,” Donghae greeted. 
 
Dae Jung smiled, “Take a seat.” 
 
“No, sir, I’m fine where I am.” 
 
Dae Jung’s face remained expressionless and Donghae found that Victoria did that sometimes as well. Like father, like daughter, he supposed. 
 
“Then shall we get going about why I called you here?” 
 
Donghae felt his heart heave a heavy sigh. 
 
“Yes.” 
 
President Bang leaned somewhat back into his thick chair that looked good enough to sleep in. 
 
“You’re very good friends with Victoria, are you not?” 
 
Donghae wondered if this was a trick question. 
 
“We are friends.” 
 
“Do you two, by any chance, have a romantic relationship?” 
 
He froze in spot. Had they been discovered? What would happen if he already knew the truth? His heart started beating rapidly as the room shoved him into the center. 
 
“I also feel embarrassed asking, but I can’t talk to Victoria about this. You two seem pretty close from what I hear. I hope you understand.”
 
His words sounded kind, but Donghae had been swept into a tremble of cold sweat. President Bang’s first question was still the main center of attention. If he avoided it, he might be suspected. 
 
“No, sir, we are just friends.” Donghae lied, his heart sunk and he mentally wanted to punch himself. 
 
“That’s a relief,” he commented, “I’d wonder how it’d be like if my daughters were fighting over one man.” 
 
It wouldn’t happen. 
 
“But, you’re Victoria’s good friend,” he said, “can I ask of you to help me with one thing?” 
 
Donghae nodded. “Yes, sir.” 
 
“I hope Victoria will listen to your advice,” he told, “because I’m not sure if she will listen to me nor So Rae.”
 
“What is it? I’ll do my best to help you.” 
 
Yes, by being polite and offering help he could at least make a good impression on the President. 
 
“Could you try to persuade Victoria to agree with the wedding proposal?” her father asked. “I don’t know what’s on her mind recently, but Victoria has been rejecting it every time. She refuses to tell me anything, and I’m beginning to worry if she’s secretly seeing someone. I don’t feel right if I secretly have someone watch her.
 
“I’m only worried about her future. As a father, I only want the best for her and I know that the Cho family will do all that. You’ll be a father one day as well, and you’ll understand my intentions then. Please help me. Victoria needs the best. I don’t want her life to be filled with regret like her mother’s.” 
 
Donghae couldn’t move his eyes elsewhere. As much as he wanted to stare at the strange designs on the carpet, he couldn’t. President Bang held some overwhelming power. 
 
When he walked out, he still couldn’t breathe. It felt as if President Bang still had his eyes on him. As he stepped down the hallway, he wondered who those people were that had told the President about him and Victoria. Had there been people watching all along? 
 
Stopping in his steps he turned around and glanced from left to right. 
 
“Don’t be paranoid,” he told himself. 
 
But however much as he wanted to scold himself, he couldn’t get mad. He was beginning to feel more troubled, disappointed - sad. How would he and Victoria face each other now? 
 
Reality was really harsh, wasn’t it? He’d forgotten all the hardships it provided. Victoria had taken him away from reality and had given him a whole new world, a newfound one, their kingdom. How much longer would it last? 
 
When he finally reached the 5th floor he found Victoria leaning against the wall. She looked up and smiled when she saw him. Had she been waiting for him? He stopped in front of her and almost reached out for her hand, but stopped midway and pulled back. Victoria’s gaze fell toward his hand then they glanced at each other. 
 
Had she been aware of it since the beginning?
 
“Lets go have lunch.” she suggested. 
 
How many people had been watching them? Their every interaction, their every conversation? What would happen to him? What would happen to Victoria? 
 
“What is it?” her voice broke through his thoughts. 
 
Donghae looked at her. He wanted to talk to her, but how would Victoria react? Would she worry too? Or would she become angry? 
 
“Lets watch a movie tonight or something.” he said. 
 
After the lights were out he reached for the remote, turned the TV off, and the room became dark. Victoria had fallen asleep halfway through. Maybe the movie had been boring or perhaps she was tired. On the other hand, his mind had trailed off during the movie. He couldn’t concentrate on it for a minute. 
 
Wrapping an arm around her he snuggled his face against the side of her cheek holding her close. Everything about her mesmerized him. As time went by he could only wonder why he hadn’t realized it at the beginning, how precious she was. Closing his eyes as he inhaled her scent, he couldn’t help but feel an uncertain fear about the present and the future. 
 
“Lee Donghae, give Victoria up. The two of you aren’t qualified for each other.” 
 
“You’re not one to tell me that.” 
 
“Aren’t you worried about Victoria’s future?” So Rae started. “Where else can a person like you find a job? By the time you quit the company you’ll be kicked out of your luxurious suite and all the money you’ve made will slowly dwindle down. With that, how will you support Victoria when my father disowns her? Are you willing to watch her toil laborious work day and night? The financial difficulties you will face in the future, have you slowly thought about it? Have you put Victoria before yourself?” 
 
She watched him purse his lips and smiled. She was finally getting to him. 
 
“On the other hand, Cho Kyuhyun can give her anything. She can live in a large household without having to lift a finger,” So Rae went on, “it’s time to give up, Lee Donghae. If you don’t leave her first, Victoria will never give up.” 
 
“Do you think I’ll let your words sway me?” 
 
“Oh really?” So Rae tried. “Then, it looks like I’ll have to show you two reality because certainly you two are still daydreaming.” 
 
So Rae’s words were so heavy. They were so burdening. It was dangerous, now, to interact with her even at work. How would he be able to help himself in the future if he didn’t have the job? Where else could he find a job as a homeless? Even if he found a new place to stay, there would be bills to pay, food to buy. What could he do for anyone if he couldn’t do anything for himself? 
 
He was such a failure. 
 
Look at Cho Kyuhyun. He was educated, he had a well paid job, he was focused, successful. All that…Donghae couldn’t be. Cho Kyuhyun could keep Victoria well dressed, well fed, and he could look after her in so many ways that he couldn’t. What Cho Kyuhyun could do for Victoria was everything Donghae couldn’t. 
 
What was going to happen now? Victoria couldn’t keep holding onto him. She had the perfect life waiting for her. She’d already suffered enough and if their future together would only cause her to suffer, then he wanted to stop now. Before they got deeper, before they could no longer be apart, before Victoria would get herself into a mess. Her wedding with Cho Kyuhyun couldn’t become a failure like their engagement ceremony. 
 
“I love you,” he whispered to the sleeping Victoria. 
 

***Awww...

***But more burdens now for them both and Donghae is too conciously aware of everything around him now and how much he lacks

***On the other hand, good news! I typed up the rest of this story last night. It was some 5-7 hrs of typing nonstop xDD well, i did pause to take breaks every once in a while xD but i'm done! I'll for sure be editing and revising :D it's a total of some 600 pages hehe!

***Oh yes, I officially posted up You Said Remember Me II so check it out when you have time :D i'm currently working around my schedule and hopefully i'll have chapter 1 up by this weekend :)

***Oh! I love you guys!