87

Their Kingdom Panorama

 

Kyuhyun glanced at him one more time before closing the door. Once the taxi diminished into the streets he turned back to head into the house. 
 
Victoria was talking with some of the elders when he returned outback. Pressing his lips together he walked toward her. When the elders caught sight of him they quickly walked away to give him space with Victoria. 
 
“I’m going to steal some food if you don’t mind,” Victoria told before turning around. 
 
“Victoria,” he called following her. 
 
She gazed at the ground as if guilty. 
 
“Lee Donghae drank a lot,” Kyuhyun told, “I think you should go check up on him.” 
 
He caught sight of Victoria’s head tilted toward the ground before she looked up then turned around. 
 
“I thought you were going to mention something else, but it’s just this?” she asked. 
 
“Victoria,” Kyuhyun called again. 
 
“I have to pack some food,” Victoria tried walking away but he grabbed her arm. 
 
“Can you stop being stubborn and listen to me?” he asked. “I have some things I want to say to you.” 
 
Victoria stared at him. 
 
“I know that kiss was completely unnecessary,” Kyuhyun said, “whatever is going on between you, So Rae, and Lee Donghae, please think twice about it. You’re not just hurting yourself but Lee Donghae as well. Victoria, this wedding isn’t necessary. This is why I’m asking you to leave anytime you want. I finally understand how you felt when you were suddenly pushed into this.”
 
“I know you understand,” Victoria told, “I’m beginning to understand your feelings a little bit more too. If we’re patient with each other, things will be fine.” 
 
“You’re not listening,” he pointed out. 
 
“Lets talk tomorrow. I’m in a hurry,” she told. 
 
With just that she turned away and Kyuhyun found himself speechless as well as confused. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Victoria left the house after offering some polite farewells to the elders. Her father and So Rae had left the house beforehand and took it as they assumed Kyuhyun would take her back home. However, she had different plans in mind. 
 
Grabbing a cab she got off nearby the intersection and crossed the street toward the shelter. The Three Musketeers were sitting around waiting for her. When they noticed her she held up the bag of food and shook it with a smile. 
 
“I heard there was a banquet today,” Yesung started as he busily chewed the drumstick he was holding. 
 
“Was it fun?” asked Ryeowook. 
 
Victoria scanned each of their faces without much feeling. Holding up her left hand she watched as their eyes widened when they landed on the silver ring she was wearing. 
 
“Wha…” their mouths dropped open. 
 
Victoria smiled, “I’m engaged.” 
 
They were silent. 
 
“What? Why aren’t you saying anything? Shouldn’t there be cheers and shouts of congratulations?” she questioned. 
 
“I don’t know how you can still smile,” Ryeowook’s comment took her off guard. 
 
She glanced at him. Suddenly, he placed down the food he had pinned to his fork and walked out of the shelter. 
 
“Ryeowook!” Yesung shouted after him then turned back to them concerned. “Where’s he going?”
 
Victoria downcast her eyes and without a word Yesung hurried off after his friend. 
 
“It’s ok,” Eunhyuk tried to comfort her, “Ryeowook likes Donghae a lot, so he’s going to sympathize with him.”
 
“I know,” Victoria looked at him, “I understand.” 
 
“So,” Eunhyuk started after silence started to fill in the gap between them, “how was it?” 
 
Victoria brought her memories back to the banquet but all that her mind’s eye laid its eye on was the empty table that Donghae had occupied. Unconsciously she ran her thumb over the surface of the simple ring. 
 
“I think I should go,” Victoria said. 
 
Eunhyuk raised his eyebrow. 
 
“I have somewhere to stop by before I go home.” 
 
With that she got up and walked out of the shelter the find that neither Yesung or Ryeowook were in sight. Was Ryeowook really that upset? She turned to look toward her left and right hoping that maybe if she saw them she’d be able to talk to them. In the end she headed down the street alone. 
 
The sky was now a gloomy gray. Apparently, the sky wasn’t as black as it’d usually be. Stopping by the streetlights she let her eyes gaze around the still busy roads. A lot of people were walking about, most were with friends or their special ones. Turning away from them she stared at the red light glaring through the dark. 
 
Just a few minutes later she found herself standing in front of the doorway that had first led her into bliss then into a world full of darkness. What would she say if she rung the bell? What would she do if the door opened? She didn’t know. She really didn’t know. She didn’t even know why she was there at that time of night, during that time of the hour. 
 
Slightly closing her eyes she leaned her back against the door. 
 
/\_____/\
 
He didn’t know how he’d gotten back to his place. He had no idea who’d brought him back. He didn’t know what was going on and all of a sudden he’d forgotten where he was. Sitting against the door with knees drawn up closely to his chest he hugged himself tightly. Maybe he would be able to find some comfort this way. 
 
But it was impossible. Everything was pitch black dark, except for the heavy white glow flowing in through his windows from the moon. His heart was still racing in a flushed manner and he hurt. Tears were on the verge of falling even if his eyes were closed shut. 
 
It seemed like an unreasonable amount of pain that he didn’t deserve. Why was it happening? He thought he’d had everything one moment then he’d lost it the next. Donghae didn’t quite understand how the earth moved and why it did. 
 
After what seemed like hours he got up to his unsteady feet and stumbled through the door and down the hall. The streets were almost empty when he moved across the crosswalk. Every inch of every little thing looked blurry through his eyes. 
 
For once now, he wanted to go back to where he’d first started off. To rewind time to when he didn’t know anyone but the people from the shelter. He wanted to return to the time when he could still freely run about without having his heart ache every second. He wanted to return to the time where he didn’t have to live like a zombie. 
 
Pushing the fenced door open he gazed around with half closed eyes and spotted the trio sleeping by the corner. Tripping on his way in he found himself crawling toward them and struggled his way through the tiny space between the wall and Eunhyuk. When he finally squeezed his way through he found himself cuddling up against Eunhyuk’s back naturally and fell asleep. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Victoria seriously didn’t sleep that night. After she’d stalked Donghae from his apartment all the way to the shelter, he never left her mind. It was finally hard to erase him again. The sight of him lying on the ground was clearly vivid and still embedded into her memory. 
 
When the sun rose up to the sky, Victoria stared at the ring encrusted on her finger. Once again she had to remind herself that she had things she wanted to do, however. They’d hurt her and they’d left her to suffer alone. So Rae, Donghae, and Mi Sun had done it all. 
 
“Yes, don’t forget why you chose Cho Kyuhyun in the first place,” Victoria reminded herself. 
 
/\_____/\
 
He felt blinded by the brightness of the day and the chatter going on around him made it impossible to sleep any longer. As he slowly opened his eyes he wondered since when did the wall begin to feel so bumpy and soft. It was absurd…or was he still dreaming. 
 
Ryeowook and Yesung stared at him when he opened his eyes. Turning onto his back he raised an arm above his eyes. 
 
“What are you guys doing?” he questioned. 
 
“Eunhyuk,” Yesung started. “What’s going on?” 
 
A number of bizarre questions popped up into Eunhyuk’s mind. Did he do something while sleeping? Or had his hormones kicked in impulsively? But he usually didn’t think much about the magazines he’d seen in the stores. Eunhyuk cleared those doubts out of his mind and turned to his right. 
 
“Whoa!” Eunhyuk shouted when he spotted a sleeping Donghae beside him. 
 
Scrambling to his feet he stared down upon the strange animal that had appeared out of nowhere. 
 
“How long has he been here?” Eunhyuk questioned pointing at Donghae. 
 
“We found out just now,” Ryeowook chipped in. 
 
“Should we wake him?” Yesung wondered. 
 
Eunhyuk frowned wondering how Donghae had ended up there. Or had he come looking for Victoria in the middle of the night? He felt bad for Donghae knowing that now Victoria was someone else’s fiancée. Heaving a sigh he squatted down and poked Donghae with a finger. 
 
“Hey, wake up,” Eunhyuk called. 
 
“Eunhyuk, that’s mean,” Ryeowook commented, “do it gentler.” 
 
Eunhyuk turned to Ryeowook rolling his eyes. 
 
“Donghae, Lee Donghae,” Eunhyuk shook him a little more. “Wake up.” 
 
Donghae’s eyes fluttered open like a princess, then he glanced around swiftly before getting up abruptly. 
 
Eunhyuk snorted at his acting surprised. 
 
Donghae made a face as he pressed his hand up against his head. 
 
“Hyung, are you ok?” Ryeowook asked kneeling down. 
 
Donghae glanced from Ryeowook to Yesung then to Eunhyuk. 
 
“What am I doing here?” Donghae turned to look around to see he was back at the shelter. 
 
“Why are you asking us when we should be asking you?” Eunhyuk questioned. 
 
Donghae tried to come up with the answer, but he had none. 
 
“Did you crawl here in the middle of the night?” Eunhyuk wondered. 
 
“You look off,” Yesung jumped in, “have you been drinking?” 
 
“I think I have a hangover,” Donghae told. 
 
Eunhyuk sighed again and flopped down onto his to sit. 
 
“Does this have to do with the banquet yesterday?” Eunhyuk went straight to the point. 
 
He watched as Donghae turned away hurt at the mention of the banquet. Why did he always have to feel sorry for them?
 
/\_____/\
 
“Ahjumma,” Kyuhyun’s mother started, “Kyuhyun seemed a little down yesterday. Do you think something’s bothering him?” 
 
The ahjumma who had busied herself with rearranging the flowerpot in the room didn’t turn around. The conversation she’d with the trouble Kyuhyun two nights ago still resided within her consciousness. 
 
“He should have been happy when the banquet ended, but I didn’t see a smile on his face at all,” Madam Cho stated, “it looked like he and Victoria argued about something. Do you know if Kyuhyun’s alright? Or if there’s something bothering Victoria? I’m always cooped up in this room that I don’t even know what’s going on outside anymore. If you know something, do tell me.” 
 
The ahjumma stared at the bright flowers in the pot. 
 
“He’s a little depressed,” the ahjumma started after turning around. 
 
“Depressed?” Madam Cho seemed alarmed. “But why? The banquet was a happy occasion.” 
 
“I’m afraid it’s just not that,” the ahjumma got up to her feet and started toward Madam Cho who was sitting up in her bed, “Kyuhyun doesn’t think he and Victoria can marry.”
 
“Why? Has something happened?” 
 
The ahjumma felt guilty for saying all this to Kyuhyun’s mother. Her health wasn’t well and she was unable to move as her mind desired. And now she was missing out on her son’s life. The ahjumma felt afraid that she’d feel useless with the fact that she couldn’t be there to help her son. 
 
“I’m not sure, but it seems it has something to do with Victoria,” the ahjumma explained honestly, “perhaps, I’m thinking too much. Don’t listen to a thing I’m saying.” 
 
Cho Kyuhyun’s mother watched her get up from the bed. 
 
“Ahjumma, can you help me into my wheelchair?” 
 
/\_____/\
 
When Victoria walked out of her bedroom she coincidentally met with So Rae who’d just stepped out of hers. A sarcastic laugh and half a snort escaped her as she turned her face to the side. Turning back to glance at So Rae who was certainly glaring at her Victoria started forward and so did So Rae. They stopped when they came face to face. 
 
“Was that an act you put on last night?” So Rae started. 
 
“Were you jealous?” Victoria asked. 
 
So Rae smirked, “It’s just Cho Kyuhyun.”
 
“Exactly, so were you jealous?” 
 
So Rae’s smirk disappeared but she didn’t let the angry atmosphere shift. 
 
“But it looks like Cho Kyuhyun didn’t like it much,” So Rae said, “he didn’t look very cheerful afterward.” 
 
“So you’ve been observing my fiancé?”
 
So Rae’s smile disappeared and her eyes flashed into another glare. 
 
“Lets get to the point here, So Rae,” Victoria suggested, “are you angry I accepted the marriage proposal and because I’m dealing with all this coolly? And Cho Kyuhyun, on the other hand, wouldn’t turn away from my feelings and neither would Lee Donghae. You’re jealous because I can take two men and leave you with none?” 
 
So Rae clenched her teeth. 
 
“You’re amusing and one sore loser,” Victoria spat. “Do you know why I’m being like this?” 
 
She didn’t say anything. 
 
“Because I’ve started learning that hating one’s guts is easier than trying to endure,” Victoria told. “I’ve let you anger me and step over me too many times to let it pass this time. If you don’t start securing your position any time soon, I’m going to take it all away from you.” 
 
Victoria started to walk pass her, but So Rae gripped onto her arm pulling her around. 
 
“You what? You’re going to take what away?” So Rae asked angrily. 
 
“Why?” Victoria arched an eyebrow. “Are you going to hit me? Go ahead, let me call the reporters in first so they’ll know how Bang So Rae really is. Other than being leader of the investment team, she also abuses her power. Hit me, go ahead.” 
 
So Rae pushed her away and Victoria almost tumbled backward. She watched as So Rae escaped down the stairs and her lips curved into a snickering smile. 

***Mmmm...what to say about this chapter? It had a lot of emotions...