The Ice Pillar

Light and Darkness

 

Donghae said to them that they might find a crystal at the Ice Cavern located at the farthest border of the city. The cavern was said to be the home of one of the first guardians. Mae volunteered to take EXO there despite the protests from her father. Now, they are almost at the end of the city.

"Atchoo!"

Henri immediately covered her nose. *Why do we have to go here today? It's freakin' cold and on top of that, there's a snow storm.* Luhan was about to give her his jacket when she ran off and clung on Kris. Tao followed.

“Ge! We’re cold!”

They said in unison. Luhan mentally cursed. *Really…*

"Okay, we're here."

Mae announced. The group followed Mae inside a cave. 

"Um... Wow!" 

Chanyeol said, amazed. Inside the cave are sparkling blue ices covering every surface. Below is a lake. EXO stood goggling at the scenery. 

"Hey! What's that thing?"

Sehun pointed at the glowing thing across them. 

"Let's find out then."

Kai used his potencia but he didn't move from his spot. *Huh?* He tried again but nothing happened. 

"Uh... I can't teleport there..." Kai looked at Suho for help. Suho tapped his chin. 

"Hmm... Must be one of the place's defense against teleporters like you." 

"Suho oppa is right, but you can use your Potencia anywhere here except to that pillar. Appa said it is made up of the manus of the first frost guardian."

Mae said. All eyes turned to Xiumin, who is admiring the ice-crystals. 

"What?"

Xiumin asked, tilting his head. Everyone sighed. 

"Let's just proceed, shall we?"

Luhan ushered. 

 

 

The group reached a bridge made of thin ice. It's so thin that it looked like a slight sound might break it. 

"Uhm... so how are we gonna cross this? If we fell into the lake, we might turn into Exonian icicles."

D.O. asked. Xiumin tried to use his Potencia to make the bridge thicker but it still wasn’t thick enough.

“Sorry guys, this is all I can do…” Xiumin hung his head low.

Kris scoffed. He concentrated for a while and used his Potencia. All of them floated towards the other side. Henri and Tao was about to praise Kris but Chen covered both of their mouths. Xiumin on the other hand, felt weak. *I understand why Leeteuk chose him to be the leader instead of me. I’m weak, helpless…”

"Don't. You'll only switch his mode on." Chen muttered to the two. Kris just rolled his eyes. 

"I know I'm awesome." 

 

 

"Guys, look!"

They reached the foot of the huge glowing ice pillar. Henri went near it and tried to touch it but Luhan grabbed her hand, preventing her. Luhan has a bad feeling about the huge iced pillar. Chanyeol approached and tried to touch it but as soon as his finger made contact, frost started to cover his finger.

"Whoa!"

He immediately pulled but the frost wouldn't stop spreading on his arm. *W-what is-?* Flames engulfed his arm and the frost melted. 

"You okay?"

Lay examined Chanyeol's arm. Then Lay’s eyebrows furrowed. He never encountered something like this. *Is this the power of a crystal?* He thought. *Even Xiumin is not powerful enough to create something like this.*

“Guys, let’s just leave the pillar alone for a while and explore the place further.”

Suho pointed.

“Follow me hyungs! I think I saw this passage a while back!”

Sehun proceeded at the other side of the pillar. The rest followed except Xiumin. He stared at the pillar. Xiumin can’t help but feel that there is something inside the pillar. Something whispering to him, but it is barely audible and he can’t make up the words it is saying.

“…bel-…-self.”

“Xiumin! What’re you staring at?”

Chen called out. Xiumin snapped out of his trance and just followed the others.

“Nothing.” He responded.

 

 

“Okay, who told Sehun to lead?!”

D.O. shouted to the others. Everyone looked at one another and shrugged. For a while the group, which was led by Sehun, has been walking in circles and D.O. finally realized that they are lost. Sehun raised his hand. Suho face-palmed. The group reached a room with 8 passages.

“Argh, we have no choice but to split up! Everyone pair up.” Everyone paired up with their partners like before. Mae was invited in Suho and D.O.’s team. Then Kris spoke.

“Alright, since we came from the South West passage…”

“Wait, Ge, how do you know what direction we came from?” Henri asked.

“Uh, never mind that. Anyway, me and Tao will take the South way. Suho, D.O. and Mae will take the West. Xiumin and Chen…”

“We’ll take the North way if it’s okay.” Xiumin asked Kris. *Because I could feel something is in there.* Xiumin thought.

“Sure. So Lay and Chanyeol, take the North West way. Sehun , Kai you take-“

“Ohh! Ohh! We’ll take the East passage! East passage!” Sehun cried out. Kris rubbed his chin.

“Hmm… yeah yeah… Finally, Luhan, Baekhyun and Henri take the North East. Okay, before we go. I have to remind you that when you find something or in trouble, use your Potencia to signal the others.”

Everyone nodded and then scattered and went to other directions. But Baekhyun just stood at his spot and didn’t go to his assigned team.

“Baekhyun-sshi! Why aren’t you moving? Let’s go!”

Henri called. Baekhyun ignored her and went to the South East passage. *That-! Aish!*  Henri stomped her foot in irritation. Unfortunately, she stomped on Luhan’s foot. Luhan cried in pain.

“Yah!”

“Duibuqi ge…”

Henri said, still glaring at where Baekhyun went. Luhan sensed that she is seriously pissed. He put a hand on her shoulder.

“Henri, let’s just go.”

“Ge, let’s go with him.”

 “Weisheme?!”

Luhan choked. Henri shrugged but her eyes are still fixated at Baekhyun’s back.

“Um, ‘cuz we’re teammates? And I don’t want to disappoint Kris ge.”

Henri whispered. Luhan’s eye twitched. *She and her complex…* But Luhan nodded and both of them went.

Baekhyun turned and saw Luhan and Henri catching up to him. He rolled his eyes and continued on his way. *Why are they following me? I purposely left them so that they won’t. Aish. What a pain...*

“Baekhyun-sshi!”

Luhan called. Baekhyun just ignored them. He doesn’t care what they might think. He just wants to get away from Henri. Luhan stared confusedly at Baekhyun.

“I think he’s ignoring us.”

Luhan said.

“Aish that-! Yah! Byun Baekhyun!”

Henri yelled. Baekhyun still ignored her. Pissed, Henri pulled out her gunblade and fired. It almost shot Baekhyun’s right ear. But despite that, Baekhyun continued to ignore them.

*Tsk* Henri was about to fire another one when Luhan pulled Henri’s arm. She looked at him, her irises almost in a dark shade of black.

“Henri! Stop it.” Luhan firmly said. *This is bad. She’s really pissed. At this rate, she might lose control* He softened when Henri lowered her gunblade and relaxed.

“Duibuqi ge. I almost lost control…”

“Naw, it’s okay. But I’ll tell Kris about this one. Be ready to be scolded.”

Luhan teased. Henri slapped Luhan’s arm. She knew he’s just teasing her. Baekhyun was standing at the edge of the passage when he spotted something moving below. He used his Potencia to bend the light around his eyes to see clearly. He saw that those things are Dolls. *This is bad. How did they find us?*

Baekhyun went to Luhan and Henri. *Uh, I have to apologize to him.* Henri thought and was about to apologize when Baekhyun cut her off.

“Don’t apologize. I don’t care anyway. C’mon, let’s go back.”

“What is it?” Luhan asked. Baekhyun pointed at the Dolls marching below. Henri and Luhan glanced at each other and nodded in understanding. They have to warn the others or else they will be ambushed.