Cold Welcome

Light and Darkness

 

“Guys, were home!” The four eldest members called.

“Kris Ge ge!!!” Henri and Tao came running towards Kris and hugged him.

“Ge ge! Did you buy me a bag?”

“Uhm… no, sorry Tao. Maybe next time.” Kris smiled at Tao. Tao pouted.

 “Ge ge! Did you buy some of those sweet stuff?” Henri said giddily.

“Sorry Henri, maybe next time.”

“Tsk!” Henri clicked her tongue in disappointment.

“I noticed Henri is kind of childish whenever she’s around Kris.” Kai commented while he watches Henri and Tao pester Kris to play with them, but Kris refused.

“I guess they’re just close. Kris has always been protective and he has cared Henri when she was little.” Chen said.

All gathered to the dining room to eat dinner. Henri shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Kris noticed it.

“Something wrong Henri? You haven’t touched your food.” Kris asked in concern. All eyes turned to her.

“Uh, nothing Ge ge…” Henri started to eat. *Why do I have to seat beside him? This .* She glanced at Baekhyun. She still remembers the look he gave her while ago.

“Oh, I have an announcement. Guys, we’re leaving tomorrow morning. We already earned enough money and we already paid the rent of the house. We’ll catch the morning train going North.” Suho announced.

“Ah, I almost forgot our quest! Uhm, where are we going exactly? What city?” Xiumin asked and continued to eat more food.

“The City of Ice: Niflhel. The map says we’ll meet Donghae-nim there.”

“E-eh? The Ice City?! We’ll literally freeze there to death!” Xiumin bursted. Food from his mouth started flying everywhere.

“Xiumin! Seriously! Don’t talk while eating!” Kris scolded. Xiumin apologized.

“But Xiumin is right. On top of that winter is almost near. I heard that the city is at its worst when its winter.” Lay said wiping rice from his face.

“Uhm, hyungs, why don’t we just use Chaneol’s fire to warm us up?” Sehun suggested.

“Good going there Se Hun. Besides, the city has enough houses for shelter. How do you suppose the inhabitants there survived?” Suho smiled at them. Everyone stayed silent. *Yeah, he has a point.* The other thought.

“I’ll take that as an agreement. Ok, we’ll leave before the sun shows itself. I’m afraid the Queen already knew we’re here.”  

 

At the palace, Sooyeon is patiently waiting for the spy she sent. The door opened and a figure went in. The figure kneeled in front of the Queen.

“Mama, your spy overheard that the past guardians are planning on going to Niflehel.”

The Queen smirked. “Of course, those brats really are going to look for those SJ guardians. Hmm, you’re dismissed.” She shot the spy dead. The guards carried the body outside.

*Urgh, I hate killing pawns... Heh, those brats think they can defeat me, a powerful red-force, with the crystals’ power? Not a chance.* The Queen started laughing to herself. 

 

“Man, it’s so cold!” Xiumin complained. After taking the train, they arrived at the entrance of Niflehel, the City of Ice.

“Says the guy whose Potentia is Ice…” Chen mocked. “Shut up!” Xiumin snapped.

The group went inside the city. The City is surrounded by large blocks of ice, acting as walls that protect the city. The roads are covered by ice, making it slippery and dangerous, and the houses are built from large boulders.

“I need to drink something hot as soon as possible…” Lay muttered as he leaned at the ice-cold wall.

“Ge ge, I’m cold.” Henri and Tao clung on both Kris’ arms. Luhan rolled his eyes. *These spoiled brats…*

Meanwhile, EXO-K went ahead to make sure the place is clear from the Queen’s soldiers… Suddenly, something caught Kai’s eyes.

“Guys, stop.”

“What is it Kai?”

Chanyeol approached Kai. Kai pointed to what looked like crystallized soldiers. Chanyeol’s face turned serious.

“This is bad… I’ll tell the others, you stand here and observe them. They're... new...”

“mm’kay.” 

Chanyeol ran back to the rest of EXO-K.

“Hyungs, Kai spotted some of the Queen’s soldiers patrolling the city.”

“They’re fast… we have to tell EXO-M! Let’s go back.” Suho and EXO-K went back to the entrance where EXO-M is.

“Oh, look! EXO-K is back. Heeyy!!!” Xiumin waved his hands. Suho didn’t waste time and immediately explained their situation.

“What? They’re here already? What’re supposed to do now?” Luhan asked.

“I say, we hide for a while. Let’s wait until sundown and sneak into the streets.”

“Good idea Chen. We’ll use the darkness for our advantage.” Kris patted Chen’s shoulder.

 

Night fell and the group went inside the city. A couple of soldiers we’re still patrolling the area.

“Okay, it’s harder than I thought. I never expected this many soldiers… Whatever they are.” Suho looked around for a hole where they can sneak past.

“No, Henri, that’s too dangerous!”

Suho turned around to see Kris scolding Henri. “But-”

“I said no! Remember when you almost lost control of it?” Kris’ voice became strict which made Henri flinch. Tao went to her side and put an arm around her.

“Lost control of what, hyung?” Sehun asked. Kris hesitated and Luhan answered.

“Well, Henri here has another Potencia. The Potencia of Darkness. But that Potencia is too powerful for her to control and she may burst. Leeteuk is the only one who can calm her powers once she loses control of it.”

Everyone felt silent. Then soldiers suddenly appeared before them. They surrounded the group.

“Kris, you should control your voice next time.” Lay chuckled. Kris glared at Lay.

“Ge ges, are we going to fight?” Tao readied his Naginata.

“Like we have a choice.”

The group charged to the soldiers. Su Ho splashed water to the soldiers making Xiumin freeze them easily. Kyung Soo punched his fist on the ground and a small fissure formed, swallowing the enemies. Tao stopped time and used his Wushu skills. Se Hun threw wind-blades and Kai teleported around the enemies, confusing them. Kris made the enemies float and Chen shoot them with lightning bolts. Using his Potencia, Lu Han took the soldiers’ weapons and made it aim at their owners directly. Chan Yeol threw fire balls to his opponents. The battle raged on and the others are starting to get tired. The soldiers seem to pool endlessly.

“There is no end to this! At this rate. Baekhyun, take Henri somewhere safe!” Suho shouted to Baekhyun.

“What?! No! Why me?!” Baekhyun shouted when he dodged a spear.

“This is an order!” Suho commanded Baekhyun with his voice of authority. *Urgh, why me? ...But I can’t disobey an order* He looked around for Henri and found her fighting beside Luhan. Baekhyun was about to grab her arm when the nearby wall exploded and snow blocked the incoming soldiers.

“I-I’m alive… Woohoo!!” Chanyeol, who was almost got caught by the explosion, yelled happily. 

“Guardians, this way. Hurry before the dolls come back.”

“Dolls??” Henri asked.

A girl in a cloak called and went inside a secret passage beneath a house. The group followed. The passage led them to a cozy room.

“Please sit and rest. I'll go get my father.” The girl gestured at the couches beside the fireplace.

“Wait, how can we be sure that you’re not our enemy?” D.O. asked. *She seems nice but we can’t be too sure.*

“How can you say that hyung? She saved us right? Then that means she’s not an enemy.” Henri defended the girl. The girl smiled shyly.

“I’m sorry, I must have looked suspicious. I’m Lee Mae, daughter of Lee Donghae. My father is one of the SJ sages.” Mae bowed.

“E-ehh??”  EXO widened their eyes. *This girl is a daughter of Donghae-nim??*

“Uhm, Mae-sshi, just what are those ‘Dolls’?” Henri asked.

“My father told me that those Dolls are crystallized entities from the Dimension of Ruin, the world of nothingness. The Queen called for them, and made them her soldiers.” Mae informed them. Then the other door burst open and a young man came running straight to Mae and hugged her.

“Maeee!!! You’re back!! Umma and Appa we’re so worried!!” The young man cried.

“Heehee, appa is so childish. Oh, this is my father.”

EXO looked more flabbergasted. *That man is… Donghae-nim? He looks so young… And acts young.* Donghae grinned at the guardians and shook their hands one by one.

“Annyeong! Donghae-imnida! You must be the current guardians of the planet! Waahh, so young! Oh, and this is princess Henri!” Donghae ruffled Henri’s hair and she cringed at the word ‘Princess’.

“Yeobo! Don’t do that! You’re making them uncomfortable!! Look at how stoned they look.” A beautiful woman with long flowing hair appeared from the door and smacked Donghae’s head. “Honey…” Donghae wined. *Must be his wife…* EXO thought.

“I’m sorry for the behavior of my husband. He’s always like that. I’m Lee Gea, wife of this man.” The woman smiled. “You all must be exhausted. Come, I prepared food for all of you.” Then she left.

“Hehe, sorry ‘bout that.” Mae bowed and followed her mother. After his family left, Donghae’s face turned serious.

“Heechul hyung called me, and told me you’re searching for the crystals, right?” All of them nodded.

“Ah, but we’ll talk about those crystals later. Now, just relax and feel yourselves at home.” Donghae grinned.

 

“Mmm!! The food… *munch* is so delicious *munch* Mrs. Lee!!” Xiumin managed to say before choking. Lay who is beside him gave him water. Mrs. Lee giggled at the complement.

“Okay kids. Those who are done eating can go and wash up. Yeobo!” Mrs. Lee looked at the still eating Donghae. “You show them to their rooms.”

“B-bwo?! But chagi I’m st-” Donghae blurted. Mrs. Lee raised her brow. Donghae gulped and led the boys upstairs to their rooms. Gea looked at the two girls and smiled.

“Who wants a hot bath?”

The Lee residence is built under a frozen volcano near the city. And it’s no surprise that the Lees own a hot springs bath. Three women wrapped in towels stepped in the hot springs room.

“Uwwaahhh!! This bath is huge!!” Henri ran around the place and almost slipped. “Whoa!” The other two women giggled.

“Yah, Henri-ah, be careful!” Mae warned. Henri eventually stopped running around and dipped in the bath.

“Uhm, Gea-sshi, do you know anything about the crystals?” Hen Ri asked. Mrs. Lee looked up the ceiling before answering.

“Well, of course. My husband never failed to tell me anything he knows.” Mrs. Lee gushed.

“…Even things regarding his missions before. Y’know, there was a time when-“ Mrs. Lee stopped when Mae cleared .

“Oops, sorry, I got carried away. Uhm, about the crystals, my husband mentioned that those crystals have the power to change the Planet, and it’s not very easy to find them.”

“Oh, so how do you find them then?”

“Hmm… I think the crystals can be obtained if the guardians show their true desires or fight for what they believe in.” Mae spoke. Henri nodded in understanding. 

"Okay, enough talk! Henri-ah, let me wash your back~" Gea said.