Late and Early

Light and Darkness

 

Cold rain poured hard on his body as the boy crouch on an alley, hoping to warm him. He was thinking of his parents’ death. After a while, he noticed the royal carriage stop in front of him. He ducked his head lower, wondering why a royal notice a common beggar like him. Then he heard the carriage door opened and some footsteps coming closer.

“Are you alone?”

The boy then heard the sweetest and kindest voice he has ever heard. He looked up and saw the Planet’s Ruler and Queen, Bu Yong Mama, smiling at him.

“Y-yes… your h-highness…”

He stuttered from the cold.

“Where are your parents?”

“T-they are already dead, y-your highness…”

“Well then, would you like to come and live at the palace with me?”

She offered.

The boy hesitated. Why would the Queen want him to live with her?

“If I may ask, Mama, why would you ask a commoner like him? He doesn’t have any royal or noble blood in him.”

One of the “Proceres” complained.

“I’m sensing some potential from this child.”

She replied, still smiling at the boy.

“Mama! You’re thinking of making this child a guardian?? This is unacceptable!”

The Queen glared at him.

“A guardian is chosen not by blood, but by potential and talent, and I predict that this young boy will play an important role for this planet’s future.”

The boy didn’t know what she meant by those words and just continued to stare at the Queen. The Queen turned to the boy and asked him again if he wanted to live with him and held her hand. He then agreed.

“Ah, I haven’t asked you name yet child.”

The Queen questioned the boy.

“I-I don’t have a name your majesty…”

The boy replied. After his parents’ death he decided to forget his name.

“Then, would you like me to give you a name?”

His eyes suddenly sparkled after hearing the Queen’s proposal.

“If it’s okay your majesty...”

“Well then, by the power bestowed upon me, I shall hereby give you the name: Baek Hyun. Do you like it?”

“Ye-yes Mama!!”

Baekhyun beamed in delight. The Queen chuckled.

“I’m glad to hear that, and Baekhyun, from now on, I’m your mother and you’re my son.”

And from that moment on the boy, now called Baekhyun, gave his life and loyalty to his new “Mother” and served as a Guardian of the Queen. 

 

 

“Hey Baek! Bacon! Wake up!”

A boy with a deep voice tried to wake his roommate up. *Aish, this kid… he said he wanted me to wake him up early but again, he doesn’t… Aha!*

“Yah Baekhyun! Mama is asking for your audience!! Ppalli!”

“Ah! Why didn’t you tell me?!”

Baekhyun then stood up and quickly went to the bathroom to wash and change. Chanyeol, the other boy, was laughing hard. Baekhyun then shot him a glare.

“Hyungnim, I told you not to use the Queen to wake me up. You’re disrespecting Mama!”

“Aish, don’t get so worked up, it’s the only way to wake you up.” Chanyeol pouted.

“Still, you can use your fire to burn my blankets off.”

“And you’ll shoot me back with your “Sun Gun”, pabo.”

Chanyeol shot back. Baekhyun just rolled his eyes.

“Any improvements to Mama’s health?”

“Nothing, the healers said that it’s getting worse and it might affect Mama’s baby’s health too…”

Chanyeol stared at the window.

“Why does she have to bare that child of hers?”

Baekhyun said in anger. Ever since he overheard the healers discussed about the possibility of the baby’s strong “Manus” causing the Queen’s weakened state, Baekhyun started to dislike the baby.  

“Baekhyun, you don’t have to hate the baby, its Mama’s decision to carry her even if it costs her life.”

 Chanyeol sadly said. *Baekkie, the baby is our future Queen, we have to protect her.* Then they heard a soft knock at the door.

“Who is it?”

“It’s me Suho, Mama is asking for us.”

The leader of the soon-to-be guardians, EXO–K, called from behind the door.

“Okay, hyung, we’ll be there.”

Baek Hyun answered.

“Dongsaengs, make it fast. I’m afraid Mama doesn’t have any time left...”

Beakhyun and Chanyeol can almost feel the sadness from Suho’s voice.

 

At the Queen’s chambers, all of the 6 adopted boys of the Queen surrounded her bed. They were crying. The Queen tried to comfort her children.

“My children don’t cry. Soon, Mama will go to a more beautiful place, and when Mama does, I’ll watch over you all.”

 “But-*sniff* I want Mama to be here..Uwaah!”

Sehun, the youngest, wailed.

“Sehunnie, Mama can’t stay, I’m sorry.” The Queen said between coughs. She then tried to look serious.

“Children, I’m all going to ask you something. After 3 moons, I want you to fi-find my daughter, and protect her. P-please...”

She pleaded. All the boys nodded and agreed except Baekhyun.

“Su Ho, I wa-want you to take care of your brothers. You are their only hyung. Can I trust your brothers to you?”

“Ye, Mama… You can trust me.”

Suho answered.

“All of you, please take care of… yourselves. And Baekhyun, promise me you’ll never leave my daughter’s side.”

The Queen already knew of Baekhyun’s hatred over her daughter. Baekhyun agreed after a moment of hesitation.

“….Yes Mama.”

“Thank you… Well, that’s settled then, I’ll be g-going now. Farewell, my d-dearests…”

The Queen finally closed her eyes in peace.