Chapter Eight

Mangwondong Family: Times of Our Lives
 

Title: Mangwondong Family: The Time of Our Lives

Genre: School drama, Friendship, Romance

 

 C H A P T E R  E I G H T

"You know what y? A real conversation."

-Unknown

---

 

 

“That jerk.”

Eunji sighed as she put her head on the table, closing her eyes trying to get rid of the memory from last week from etching inside her brain. Her fingers trailed on her lips, somehow the taste of his lips was still lingering there even after she brushed her teeth for like twenty times that day. She remembered how she pushed him away and the look of shocked and regret on his face as they stayed silence for the next five minutes before jumping off the cabin and went straight home.

Naeun texted her and it seemed like she was having a trouble with Myungsoo too. Eunji hadn’t seen her yet today. She didn’t walk with Naeun that morning because then she might bump into Sungyeol seeing as how the two best friends lived opposite to each other. The bell had rang an hour ago but Eunji can’t get herself on her feet so she sat there in the empty classroom, staring into space and contemplated on her situation.

“Eunji?”

A voice startled her and she jerked up, meeting the face of Hoya who was standing at the door, his hands were holding the straps of his backpack. She blinked and said, “Hoya sunbae.”

He smiled and slid the door wide, stepping inside the quiet room, his eyes were on everywhere but her. He sat on the table right in front of her, the smile was still formed and his eyes finally set on her. He asked, “What are you doing here? I thought Jo Kwon is having a meeting on our next school play.”

“Yeah.” Eunji bit her cheeks, “I’m not feeling it. I don’t think they would notice if I wasn’t there.”

“I think they would notice if the main actress is missing.”

“They haven’t decide on that yet, sunbae.” Eunji said as a matter of fact.

Hoya shrugged and tapped his fingers on his thigh as the stillness cloaking them. They weren’t always this awkward, they were actually close with each other. But of course back then, there was always Sunggyu in between. He knew Eunji was hurt and humiliated but Sunggyu was his best friend. And like Sungyeol always said, ‘It’s bros before hoes.”

Clearing his throat, Hoya tried to make a casual conversation, “So, I heard that your friend is quite close with Kim Myungsoo, our school celebrity.”

Eunji snorted, “I didn’t know you’re such a gossiper, sunbae.”

“Hey!” Hoya exclaimed, feigning an offended look, “Sometimes I feed on gossips, Eunji.”

She laughed, the kind of laugh that made her whole body shook and the kind of laugh Hoya decided he would love to hear it again. She said in between her laughter, “Please, you’re like the nicest man I’ve ever met. You don’t do gossips.”

“But seriously, Eunji. I’m a bit curious. How’s that Kim Myungsoo like?”

She gave him a pointed look, “You never talk to him?”

“I saw him during games but that was it.”

Eunji leaned back, brushing the bangs out of her eyes, “Well, honestly I’ve never really talk to him. Naeun is the only one talking to him. And I mean it. She’s the only one who does the talking.”

Hoya cracked a smile, “He seems a bit difficult to approach.”

“He was a famous person. Maybe he’d put up some walls. I’m sure he’s okay.”

 He nodded in return and peered at the watch on his left wrist. It was only 3 in the evening and the weather was sunny and warmth, a perfect feat for an ice cream treat. So he asked her and she politely said no. She thought it would be weird to hang with her ex-boyfriend’s best friend. Imagine all the talks tomorrow if the kids from school saw them together.

But as she began gathering her things (her pencil case was somehow thrown on the floor and she didn’t remember how it happened), there was rushed steps heard in the corridor before Sungyeol appeared at the front class.

He was in his black and yellow basketball uniform with a ball tucked under his arms. Panting, he looked straight at her, ignoring the presence of Hoya, “Eunji, I was looking for you.”

Her eyes widened for she knew the words coming out of his mouth next and she scrambled for her bag, ready to leave when Sungyeol was suddenly in front of her, “I’m sorry about the other day, I swear it meant nothing. I was just caught up in the moment. Heck, I don’t even like you! I was just-“

“You know what, sunbae?” She walked past the sweaty guy and stood next to Hoya, “I think I’ll take that offer.”

And then she was gone, leaving the puzzled Hoya and troubled Sungyeol alone in the empty classroom.

 

----

 

The meeting had just ended at exactly 3.30 p.m. and the members of the drama club were chatting quite excitedly about their upcoming production. Jo Kwon had announced the play they would be doing; The Classic, a screen-to-stage adaption which was a first in the club’s history. They’d only been doing classical plays such as Phantom of the Opera and never perform a play based on movies.

It caused quite the stir among the members but they were ecstatic nonetheless. It was written by Junhyung, one of the senior members and the audition would be held a week away. Everyone pretty much expected Eunji to land the female lead role (but she wasn’t even attending the meeting) and wondered who would be the on stage Jo Insung.

“It so will be me.” Sungjong declared to nobody in particular.

Namjoo who was coincidentally (not really) seated beside him rolled her eyes at his bold statement, “You’re only starting this year, sunbae.”

“So? We’re newbies but we have to start somewhere.”

“I know.” Namjoo replied, “But from a newbie to a male lead? That seems impossible.”

Sungjong sighed (dramatically) and turned to face her, “Last year, Kyuhyun sunbae had been monopolizing the play and this year, he’s as good as gone. None of the seniors this year actually stand out. Plus, Jo Kwon sunbae and Kwanghee sunbae are directing this year’s play. So, this is when I come and impress everyone with my excellent acting skills.”

Shaking her head, Namjoo chuckled at his ambitious (not to mention, ridiculous) goal, “Well, I wish you the best.”

“Please, I don’t need wishes. I’ll make them come true.”

Namjoo rolled her eyes, commented nothing on his overly confidence. They got along quite well the past few weeks. As Namjoo was stuck with him for a whole two weeks as props partner, she got to know him better. She noticed a few things about Sungjong. He was a self-obsessed person, his words spouting certainty. He also liked to be left alone despite his life time dream of being an actor (someone who should had love all the attentions he could get).

But Sungjong didn’t, he sat during lunch alone, burying himself under those thick scripts and he came to the club room every day after school, without fail. Namjoo heard a rumour that Sungjong had a popular brother in his senior year but she never saw them together. And she only saw Sungjong talked to Son Naeun, a friendly sophomore occasionally.

So she thought, they were kind of the same; a bit on the awkward side and honest. She looked over the room as the members, one by one left, their mouths were still chatting about the meeting. She asked, “Aren’t you going to leave?”

“Nope.” He shook his head, the sound p popped out of his lips, “I need some meditation time here. You know, to absorb the spirit of drama God before I go home and practice on my part.”

Blinking, Namjoo asked again, “Have that ever work before?”

“Not once but one can still dream.”

She laughed at his absurd behavior but joined him nonetheless, copying his moves; sit crossed leg on the chair, her trunk was upright, closing her eyes with her hands on the lap, channeling her inner animal spirit.

 

----

 

Hayoung was sitting in front of the wooden desk, sighing heavily as she stared at the piles of papers scattered on the shiny surface. She glanced at the wall clock and it was a little past five. She was supposed to walk home with Namjoo but seeing as the two of them had their own matters, the appointment was cancelled. She’d been under the wings of Park Chorong for a few weeks now and it wasn’t how she expected it was.

First off, Chorong was one feisty young lady. Everything must be done in a proper manner, just the way she liked it and any small changes or mistakes; Hayoung would had to face her wrath and worked to her bones to satisfy her mentor. Second, Suho (her alleged boyfriend) was no help at all. That guy, in her opinion, was kind of a pushover. He was like her shadow, following her around all day, admiring her leadership skill.

Hayoung thought at first that they were the perfect couple but as she spent more times with them, they weren’t as perfect as they tried to portray in front of the school population. But, she didn’t want to quit because even she admitted, Park Chorong was everybody’s boss. Her words were rules and her actions were definite.

This week, Hayoung was busy running back and forth, planning Chorong’s campaign ideas before the official election started next month. In between her busy times, she managed to fit a ‘Hoya watching’ activity together with Namjoo (of course the latter was forced to follow) and Hayoung was a little girl again.

She knew his schedules (which was creepy as Namjoo would say) and she followed him almost everywhere every time she had a free time. She enjoyed watching him from afar and she wasn’t planning on approaching him any sooner.

 The door was pushed opened, startling her out of her reverie and Hayoung met a familiar face. The boy was astonished at first before flashing her a smile, “Little Rong?”

“Huh?” Hayoung let out an unintelligent sound at the sight of this handsome upperclassman.

Sunggyu chuckled, stepping inside the room, “You’re Chorong’s apprentice, right?”

She nodded her head and Sunggyu exclaimed, “Thus, little Rong.”

“I’m sorry but who are you?”

Sunggyu blinked for a second before erupted into laughter. This was the first time someone in the school who didn’t recognize him (which was refreshing). He sat next to her and introduced himself, “I’m Kim Sunggyu.”

At that words, Hayoung gaped, “Chorong-nim’s brother?! Oh my god! I’m so sorry. I didn’t recognize your face. I’m sorry. That was so rude of me. I’m sorry, sunbae.”

“Chorong-nim?” Sunggyu raised his eyebrows at the title.

Hayoung nodded enthusiastically in return, “Yes, because she’s like you know, a Goddess.”

“That the first time someone addressed her that way.” He smiled faintly.

“Everyone should start calling her that.”

Sunggyu stared at her, amused at this freshman’s fascination towards his stepsister. Sunggyu who had known Chorong her whole life never thought of her that way; godly and ideal (to him she was more of twisted and manipulative). Leaning forward, Sunggyu said, “So, Little Rong. How’s it going working with my impeccable sister?”

“She’s great!” Hayoung answered, almost right away which sounded kind of fake. Sunggyu picked up on that and beamed, “Are you sure?”

She nodded vigorously, trying hard to prove her point, “It’s true. Your sister is the best, sunbae!”

He gave her a ‘come on’ look and she finally heaved, whispering, “She’s sturdy.”

“Sturdy?”

“There’s no saying no to her and it’s” Hayoung paused, trying to find the appropriate words, “durable.”

“You used a different kind of word choices.” Sunggyu commented.

“You’re not telling her, aren’t you sunbae?!” Hayoung suddenly panicked, her heart beat faster, “I didn’t say any bitter words and you were the one who asked questions and I was just nervous. That’s why I blurted words and  and –“

“Relax, Little Rong.” Sunggyu waved his hand, “I’m not fond of my sister’s way of punishing people. This conversation never happen.”

“Great! Now we’re just strangers who just met.”

“Well, I’m Kim Sunggyu, class 3-1.”

“And I’m Oh Hayoung, class 1-2.”

 

--

 

A/N: Hello my lovely pinkfinite shippers :)

So, this chapter featuring those characters who are still in the early phase of relationship with each other. Throw confetti people cause I've finally write some HoJi moment (sorry that Sungyeol kind of ruined their moment xD) It wasn't much but they'll have more moments (sweet ones of course) later on ;)

Namjoo and Sungjong, the naive and the outcast. They kind of became friends, I guess? I mean they have no one beside each other (with Hayoung being busy and all, Namjoo was kind of a loner sometimes) and they embraced each other's weirdness and I love the dynamic of their blossoming friendship hehe 

Yeayy they finally met! I know nobody actually anticipated their first meeting but I was excited to write on them nonetheless :D As you can see, they hit it off instantly despite their age and status different. Hayoung was kind of clumsy here and it was a good thing because I think she only showed that side to Sunggyu. She was diva like with Namjoo and proper with Chorong. I think they have the best chemistry compare to the others but well, there's still a long way to go before saying that haha

I'm excited for the coming chapters because the plot is finally unfolding a layer by layer and there's more drama to come weee~

For some light reading, check out my new MyungEun fanfic;

Letters from Mr. Stranger

That's all. Enjoy, guys. Do comments or leave some feedback.