Chapter Seven

Mangwondong Family: Times of Our Lives

 

Title: Mangwondong Family: The Time of Our Lives

Genre: School drama, Friendship, Romance

 

C H A P T E R  S E V E N

"We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents."

-Bob Ross

---

 

 

Bomi rushed to the girl restroom with her hands clutching her stomach as the pain grew unbearable. Pushing the door opened harshly, she hurried to the closest stall and bent down, vomiting. She held her hair as she kept gagging her empty stomach. She skipped breakfast earlier that day and paid the consequence right after lunch break. Wiping the end of with the back of her hand, Bomi headed to the sink to wash her face.

“Did you skip your breakfast again?”

A voice startled her and she saw Yookyung standing right behind her from the reflection wearing a serious expression. She thought she saw a glint of concern in her former best friend’s eyes but after a second, the eyes were cold and boring into her face.

“Yookyung.” Bomi said, short.

“Typical Bomi.” Yookyung said with a hint of sarcasm, “Always put others before herself.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Bomi asked, her voice sounded hurt.

“Nothing. It means nothing.” Yookyung muttered under her breath and stepped forward, standing next to her, opened the tap water and rubbed her hands as Bomi watched her every move. Yookyung threw her a side glance before saying, “You should head to the nurse office or your gastric will act up again.”

Bomi narrowed her eyes, “And why do you care, Yookyung?”

“It will be a burden if I have to drag you out when you pass out. People can have a different perception of the scene.”

“That you’re truly care for me?”

“No.” She turned and faced Bomi, “That I somehow murder you.”

Bomi cracked a smile at her words, her heart swelled at her affection. She knew Yookyung actually cared for her despite the big fight they had last year and how they left things between them. They were friends since kindergarten and you can’t just erase people who have been in your life that long, no matter how mad you were.

The corner of Yookyung’s lips tilted up as she crossed her arms, “I see you’re still hanging out with it.”

“If by it you mean Dongwoo sunbae, then yes.” Bomi replied, a hint of annoyance in her voice.

“Always defending him, huh?” Yookyung raised an eyebrow.

“He’s a really nice guy.”

“And you’re wasting your time, Bomi. He’ll never notice your feelings.”

Bomi’s face hardened as she tried hard to control her anger, saying through gritted teeth, “And that’s my problem to worry about.”

“I see.” Yookyung said, turning her heels, headed to the door. As she was about to turn the door knob, Bomi’s voice echoed.

“You should worry about yourself, Yookyung. I heard you’re running for President and that Woohyun is in town.” Bomi warned, “You’re playing with fire.”

Taking a deep breath, Yookyung gathered her composure and chuckled. She knew Bomi was worried seeing as nobody in the school dared to challenge the queen and Yookyung herself sometimes had doubts on her ability to take on Chorong. But Woohyun believed in her and that was the only thing that matter.

“Sure I am.” Yookyung opened the door and stepped out in the gap before looking over her shoulder with a confidence look on her face, saying, “And I know how to handle the flames.”

 

----

 

The site was packed with families and couples as Naeun and Eunji struggled to the entrance after buying the tickets. They had planned on going to the two-days carnival in the town with Sungyeol insisted to tag along (it annoyed Eunji but she figured a day with his presence won’t be so bad). They bought four tickets seeing as how Sungyeol said he was bringing a friend.

Naeun adjusted her strap on her shoulder as she squinted her eyes to the main road in front of them, trying to find him. Crouching, Eunji began scrolling her phone out of boredom. She sighed, “Where’s Sungyeol? It’s been 10 minutes!”

“He said he’ll be here. Isn’t it supposed to be the guy waiting for us?”

Eunji nodded, “Well, Sungyeol is not your average guy.”

“You seem to know him very well, Eunji.” Naeun snickered, pulling a hair band from her jeans pocket to tie up her hair.

“This is me keeping my enemy closer, Naeun.” Eunji replied, her eyes were still on her phone.

Naeun rolled her eyes, laughing at her words. Her hands quickly went up, trying to tie her hair when someone stopped them. She looked to her right and widened as she met the very intriguing pair of eyes, his hand holding her right elbow with his face merely inches away from hers.

“Your look better with your hair down.” Myungsoo said as he lowered his hand before stuffing it into his pocket, his eyes never left hers.

Naeun’s breathing hitched as she became aware of the close proximity and that she could felt his breath fanning her face. The stare broke as Sungyeol who was standing next to Eunji clapped, a wide grin on his face, “Let’s go, guys!”

Taking a step back, Naeun looped her arm onto Eunji’s and basically dragged her to the gate, her heart racing like mad. She didn’t had to spare a glance at Eunji to know that a teasing smile was creeping her face. Naeun huffed as her face flushed, “Shut up, Eunji.”

“I never said anything.” Eunji giggled and bumped her shoulder.

Throwing a glare that shut her up, Naeun halted as she scanned through the rides and game booths around. She tried to focus on choosing which should she try first but the image of Myungsoo came floating around her head. If only she knew the friend Sungyeol meant was Myungsoo, Naeun would had been prepared. Maybe put on some make up or do her hair. She became conscious of her faded grey t-shirt and black jeans, cursing inwardly.

“Which one should we pick first?” Sungyeol asked with an excited look. He was standing next to her and Naeun saw Myungsoo lazily trailed them from behind.

Shrugging, she answered, “The most boring ride.”

 

----

 

Huffing, Eunji threw a dirty look as the boy in front of her was leaning lazily on the glass panel, his fingers were tapping the black iPhone, sometimes yawning, completely unaware of the annoyance she was showing since they first sat inside the cabin. Ten minutes had passed yet to her, it felt forever. And she wasn’t happy to be in a small space forever with her arch nemesis, Lee Sungyeol.

“Do you like what you see?”

Eunji snapped out of daze and realized Sungyeol was grinning, his eyebrows wiggled in a suggestive way which only aggravated her. She crossed her arms, “I wasn’t looking at you.”

“Sure you’re not.” Sungyeol leaned forward, “You were drooling at the sight of me.”

“Yeah, right. In your dream, Sungyeol.” Eunji spat and threw her gaze to her right, the image of the sun setting in came in view. It was breathtaking and Eunji was drawn to the majestic shimmer mixed in red and orange. She cracked a small smile which didn’t go unnoticed by Sungyeol. Peculiarly, he found himself smiling at the sight and immediately, Sungyeol widened his eyes and lowered down his gaze.

“I was failing math.” He uttered after a moment of uncomfortable silence.

Eunji gave her a sharp look, “And why are you telling me this?”

“I’m trying to make a conversation.” He shrugged before continuing, “Mr. Lee said I need a tutor.”

“And who did he suggest?” Eunji sighed, almost uninterested to talk about his petty problem.

“Hong Yoo Kyung.”

Hearing that name, Eunji snapped to his direction, furrowing her forehead trying to process the information she just got. Blinking, she erupted with laugh, throwing her head backward and clapping her hands. Sungyeol watched in confusion and was kind of irritated at her sudden outburst.

She stopped after a few seconds, taking a deep breath and said, “But everyone knows she hates your guts, Sungyeol.”

“Yeah, so?”

“So, good luck passing in Math because I am absolutely sure she won’t agree to tutor you no matter how much you offer to pay her.”

“Hey!” Sungyeol exclaimed before crossing his arms, “I don’t need to pay her. She’ll agree because no one can’t say no to my charms.”

Eunji rolled her eyes, “Please, there’s more to the world than being in your presence.”

“And yet here you are with me.” Sungyeol threw a smug look, his lips were stretched to his ears.

“I’m only here because you dragged me inside this cabin!” She hollered, her arms thrown in exasperation. Her first hunch was right, being around this guy tired her. One day she could get sent to the hospital because of her high blood pressure if she continued to entertain him.

With that grin still on his face, Sungyeol said, “You make it sound like it’s a crime. I’m trying to be a good friend. You know, playing cupid for my mate.”

“Naeun’s not your mate. She’s a girl, for god’s sake.” Eunji narrowed her eyes, “And you’re not a cupid, Sungyeol. You have the face of the devil.”

“Ugh, when will you stop calling me by my name, Eunji?” Sungyeol groaned, his head was thrown to the back.

Now it was her turn to cross her arms and smiled smugly, “When I feel like it, Sung-yeol.”

And then without warning, Sungyeol lurched himself forward and crashed his lips to hers.

 

----

 

“It’s beautiful.” Naeun mused, her eyes fixed on the view in front of her, admiring the beauty of nature. Myungsoo who was opposite of her glanced at the glass panel and shrugged, “Nothing I’d never seen.”

Snapping her head, Naeun asked, “Was there any more magnificent than this?”

“A shooting star in a Paris night.” He replied, a faint smile formed on his lips, “The deep ocean of Bora Bora Island. The first snow in NYC.”

“Your life sounds like an adventure.” There was a hint of admiration in her voice as Naeun stared at him.

Myungsoo scoffed, his eyes were looking down, “Believe me, it’s not.”

“Is there any different?” She asked again but Myungsoo gave her a question look. Naeun clarified, “Being a celebrity and a normal person. What’s the difference?”

He heaved and ran his hand through his messy black hair, a sign of tiredness visible on his face. He then looked at her, his eyes were boring into her brown ones, “They’re pretty much the same to me. People will always think what they want to think. Anywhere you go, whatever you decide to do, you will never escape the society clichés. They judge you for pretending but they also judge you for being your true self. Yeah, life .”

The last line was uttered with a sad expression that Naeun had a sudden urge to wrap him in her arms. She never know this side of him. She only watched him in television, performing and looking as he was having the best time of his life. Naeun never even once thought that Myungsoo could be this way. Raw and sorrowful. Almost giving up on everything happening around him.

“That’s not true.” She said gently, her face softened, “Peaks and valleys. That’s what life is about. One day, you’re happy and the next day you’re going to be sad. One day, everything seems right and another day everything falls apart. And that’s okay. Because it makes you human. And you have your family and your friends and even strangers in the street to lean on. One terrible moment doesn’t define your whole life. You draw your own pictures and narrate your own stories.”

He quirked his eyebrow, “Are you planning on writing a book someday?”

With just that, the gloom atmosphere dissipated and Naeun laughed, shaking her head, “Yeah, I can be sentimental sometimes.”

Myungsoo gave her a small smile, so small that it was gone in a second. But that was enough to make Naeun’s heart swelled with joy and a wide grin formed on her face. A ride in the Ferris Wheel with the Kim Myungsoo. That was dream number three. And she had another eight on the list to cross off. Naeun studied his face carefully. He had that boyish look with an adorable pair of eyes. They were captivating, as if they held a secret and she was enthralled.

She didn’t know if what she felt was because of her admiration for the guy over a year (watching his videos every Friday night, listening to his songs in her bedroom and staring at his poster until she fell asleep) but it was overwhelming. In a good way. In a way she wanted to stay with him, even in silence and that was more than enough.

“Can I ask you something?”

His eyes shot up and he nodded slightly. Naeun bit her lower lips and played with the hem of her t-shirt before speaking up, “Was Suzy your girlfriend?”

Something flashed in his eyes and Naeun regretted every words she uttered, panicking, “I mean, you don’t have to answer that. I’m sorry. I’m being nosy. God, I’m a terrible person. I-“

Myungsoo raised his hand and as if magic was casted, Naeun shut . He in air, “It’s none of your business.”

Naeun felt a slap on her face, hurt at the cold tone of his voice. Looking down, she muttered, “Right. I’m sorry.”

“This conversation is over.” Myungsoo said, the friendly look on his face disappeared. Naeun cursed herself inwardly and fought the urge to cry.

 

--

 

A/N: Hi, I'm back :)

Sorry I've been gone for months. God, college is a pain in the lol. I'm on my semester break right now and I'll try to step up my game haha. Oh and happy ramadhan kareem to my fellow muslim readers 

Finally, Bomi and Yookyung met. They were best friends in case you haven't notice and something had happened between them with Dongwoo being one of the reasons. I won't pry more on this matter. Just that they had a rough start in this story and hopefully their relationship will mend in the future. Bomi kind of knew about Woohyun (him being Yookyung's childhood friend) but she didn't know the kind of bond the two have. More on that later of course. This is only the beginning of their friend break up. More drama to come for these two muahahha

This chapter focus on the four characters; Eunji, Naeun, Sungyeol and Myungsoo. I love writing about the trio and now with Myungsoo added up, it felt awesome. So, Myungsoo was friend (?) with Sungyeol because they were both in the basketball team. 

THAT KISS Hahahahahahaha I bet y'all didn't see that coming huh? Nope, not gonna comment anything on it. 

Myungeun, my precious babies. So Myungsoo had again opened up with Naeun but Naeun somehow crossed the line with the Suzy related question. I know it wasn't that big of a deal but Myungsoo was used to keep things to himself. He wasn't as expressive as Sungyeol so that kind of reaction was expected. Not that he hated her, in fact I think he started thinking of her as friend (a good start I must say) but he needs time to completely trust Naeun. I mean they haven't properly hang out as friends yet so here's to hope for more Myungeun yeay

 I know some of you are dreading for HoJi, next chapter I promise xD (hopefully)

Thanks for those who keep on reading even though I'd updated this fic for like twice a year. I wish to keep writing on this story for I'm starting to love every single character I created. And I'm glad that you like this fic as much as I am.

That's all. Enjoy, guys. Do comments or leave some feedback.