Chapter Four

Mangwondong Family: Times of Our Lives

 

Title: Mangwondong Family: The Time of Our Lives

Genre: School drama, Friendship, Romance

 

C H A P T E R  F O U R

"Never trust someone further than you can throw them."

-Idiom

--

 

 

They sat in silent, busy scrolling their Blackberrys and looking out the windows. Chorong glanced to her right before sighing deeply. They were riding his car to school and he hadn’t said anything since he picked her up at her house.

She put her phone down and reached out for his hand, “Suho, talk to me.”

He scoffed but he didn’t remove his hand so Chorong took it as a good sign.  She scooted closer, her hand was still on his and asked, “Are you mad at me?”

“You think?” Suho turned to face her frowning, “I don’t like you talking to those guys.”

“I’m merely socializing, Suho. It’s for the company’s sake. If I have more connections, it will benefit us in the future. At least, that’s what my father always told me. You out of all people should know that.”

“Still.”

Chorong rolled her eyes, feeling her anger rise. She thought that Suho was being ridiculous and spoil –as always. 

“Just stop being all touchy with them.  Stop making me looked stupid.” He said as the driver pulled over in front of the school gate.

“Are you implying that I was being cheap?” Chorong grabbed his hand when he was about to get off the car. Suho looked over his shoulder and met her burning gaze. She tightened her grip, “Answer me, Suho.”

“They’re looking. Stop it.” Suho said before finally got off and walked around to open the door for his lady.

People were looking and they expected for a show. Being the good actors they were, Suho and Chorong gave them one. Holding hands, they entered the school gate, all smiles, putting their not-so heated argument off temporarily.

As they reached the Student Council’s room, Chorong was stopped by a rushing Han Seungyeon, the secretary. With a pile of papers in one hand, she frantically pushed up her big glasses and exclaimed, “Chorong-sshi! Why are you late? The vice principal is waiting for you in her room!”

Chorong raised her eyebrows, a little confused, “What are you saying? Why is she waiting for me?”

“I’m not sure.” Seungyeon shook her head vigorously, “but she did mention something about the annual cultural festival.”

“! I totally forgot about that!” Chorong rummaged through her Forever 21 backpack and reached for her planner. She ruffled the pages before stopped at a page with red sticky note wrote ‘finish the draft of cultural festival proposal by Thursday. The witch wants to see it’.  Muttering some incoherent words, she then turned to Suho, “Damn it, Suho! I was so occupied with your stupid little party last night that I missed this note. That witch is going to go ape all over me.”

Astonished at her quick accuse, Suho stood there, his eyes travelled from Chorong’s reddened face and Seungyeon’s awkward smile. Seungyeon was one of the persons who Chorong gave permission to see her temper and yet she still adored the omnipotent young woman for what she had achieved in her life so far. She did pity Suho but her fear for Chorong was in a whole different level.

Suho heaved a sigh and put his hand on her tensed shoulder, “Chorong, just apologize to her and ask her to extend the dateline.”

“Are you serious?” Chorong stared at him, “You expect me to bend down my head over that witch who can only afford to drive a second-hand car? There must be something wrong with your head, Suho.”

Lowering down his hand, Suho admitted defeat and stood there, watching her do as she pleased.

“Maybe you should stop cursing and start asking for help, Boss Girl.”

All eyes were on Woohyun who stood a few meters away, smirking. He had his back on the wall with one hand in his pocket and the other was holding blue file. Chorong narrowed her eyes, taking a good look at him before acknowledging him as the annoying guy from before. 

“You,” she muttered, “What are you doing here?”

Woohyun came forward and handed her the file, “Thought you might need some help, Boss Girl.”

“Is that..?”

“Yes, I finished the proposal for you. For the time being, you can use this to show to Madam Kim.”

“How did you know?” Chorong breathed, “I don’t trust you.”

Woohyun smirked and cocked his head to the side, “The clock is ticking and Madam Kim is waiting, Boss Girl.”

Chorong contemplated for a second before taking the file and looked up to Woohyun, “Don’t you dare trick me or I’ll make your life suffer, Woohyun-sshi.”

Chuckling, Woohyun just nodded and stepped out of the room. He knew that eventually she would give in to him. Everyone always does. He only needed to be enduring enough to melt her icy heart because beneath that pompous attitude, Chorong was after all, still a girl.

 

-----

 

The drama clubroom was lively with the presence of all of its members, preparing for the new member registration. The president of the club, the ever so dramatic Jo Kwon and his vice president, Hwang Kwanghee were busy giving orders while enjoying their tea at the back of the room.

Four rows of seat were set up in front of the small stage for the new members to showcase their hidden talents before being accepted into the club. A few seats had been taken by some nervous looking first year students. A girl with a ponytail was reading intently to the script of ‘Phantom of the Opera’.

Naeun and Eunji were in charged on the enlistment of participants outside of the room. Quite a numerous of students signed up compared to last year. A few of them included the sophomore and even seniors which was rare because as the whole school knew, the drama club was the second least popular after the math club. Perhaps the successful play from last year was the factor to this surprising response.

“15 students have signed up and we’re not even started officially yet.” Eunji beamed as her eyes scanned through the paper.

“Jo Kwon sunbae and Kwanghee sunbae must be on cloud nine.” Naeun flashed a sweet smile, “This year may be our year, Eunji.”

Nodding, Eunji twirled the black ball pen, “Yes! I’m hoping for a lead female role for this year’s play. Which play will they choose? Swan Lake?”

“Maybe. And you are the perfect fit for ‘Odette’. Everyone was praising your great acting last year, Eunji. Besides, after Sooyoung sunbaenim has left for college, you are the only one who can take her place. But I will definitely fight for the lead female role if they pick ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’. That comedy play is a masterpiece. If Shakespeare is still alive by today, I think I’m going to marry him.”

Eunji cracked up at Naeun’s words, slapping her shoulder lightly, “Nonsense! He’ll be like a thousand years old. And what about Kim Myungsoo? Do you think he’s a romantic person?”

Tapping her finger on the table, Naeun shook her head, “That’s very unlikely of him but who knows? I’ll try to find out.”

“How are you going to do that, Naeun?”

“I’ll just –“

Naeun’s words were cut off by someone clearing his throat. The two girls looked up to see the most unexpected person standing before them with his pearly whites. Eunji abruptly stood and stared at him, muttering under her breath, “H-Hoya sunbae.”

“Hi, Eunji.” He greeted her and gave Naeun a polite smile which she didn’t return. “Are you that shock to see me?”

Of course she was shocked. She knew him well since they hung out together quite often when she was with Sunggyu. After that horrible breakup, never did she think she would see him again. Hoya had been nothing but nice to her and she kind of happy to catch sight of him. Recollecting her calm, she sat down, putting both of her hands on the table and asked, “What are you doing here, sunbae?”

“What else? I’m here for the audition.”

Both girls widened their eyes and Naeun blurted, “You’re joining the club? Are you planning something again?”

Hoya curved up his lips, “No. I just want some extra credits for my college application.”

Naeun looked at him suspiciously, still doubting his real intention of joining the club because she didn’t want the same thing happen to Eunji again. Hoya was the ace of the school judo team and a part of the notable dance crew so he should have enough credits to qualify to any of his preferred universities. She wanted to protest but Eunji beat her into it.

“That’s great, sunbae.” She wrote down his name on the registration paper and gave him a badge button as a token of his participation, “I hope you’ll pass.”

They watched as his back disappeared into the room.

 

“It’s 2.50 right now. Should we close the registration table?” Naeun peeked at her watch and organized the listing papers.

Inside, the audition had begun and they could hear ‘Sixteen Going on Seventeen’ from The Sound of Music playing. Eunji pondered before answering, “5 more minutes.”

Exactly 5 minutes after, two students running from different directions and almost bumped into each other when they reached the registration table. They both fell flat on their butts and Naeun and Eunji hurried to help them. Sungjong stood on his feet, glaring at the girl who made him fell and she gladly returned the stare.

Naeun chirped as she recognized him, “Sungjong! You’re here to audition? Where is Sungyeol oppa?”

He breathed, “I don’t know and I don’t care. Can I sign up now?”

“Wait! I came here first.” Namjoo snatched the pen and hastily wrote her name. Sungjong tried to take it back but Namjoo was faster. Finished writing her name, Sungjong quickly pushed her and wrote down his. He scanned her name and scoffed, “A freshman? How rude of you, Kim Namjoo.”

She wanted to rebut but held it in now that she knew he was a sophomore. Instead, she looked at Naeun and asked politely, “Has anyone named Oh Hayoung sign up for the audition?”

Though Hayoung and she weren’t on good terms, deep down she wished Hayoung would show up and join the drama club. It had been their thing ever since kindergarten. They would wear costumes – Hayoung was Cinderella and she was Snow White, and played ‘tea party’ together. They always talked about performing a play or starring in a movie. So when Naeun checked the list and shook her head, Namjoo’s face fell.

“Good luck.” Eunji handed her a token and smiled encouragingly. Sungjong had gone into the room and Namjoo trailed him, her head lowered down.

“She looked so sad. I wonder if this Hayoung girl is her friend.” Naeun said in a low tone as she saw the disappointed look on her face.

 “Who knows?” Shrugging, Eunji replied, “ Hold on! That Sungjong is from our Math class, right? That quiet kid who always sitting at the back. He is Sungyeol’s brother? How come I’m not aware of this?”

“Nobody is, Eunji.”

 

-----

 

The melody to the song ‘Dream’ echoed in the music room. Sitting alone by the piano, gracefully pressing the black and white keys was Yookyung. School hours had ended long ago but she stayed there, practicing and seeking some times to herself.  She always took a chance to go home late because home, it suffocated her. Being in the same house with her parents and pretending they were a happy family was tiring. It was a time like this she was fond of.

Well, until she heard a knocking at the door and a smiling boy appeared, holding a box of cupcakes from ‘Sweet Tooth’ café across the school. He put it gently in front of her and greeted, “Hi, Yookyung-sshi.”

“Sunbae-nim.” She replied short, recognizing him at instant. Of course she would know him. Every student knew him, Kim Sunggyu, the school heartthrob. “What are you doing here?”

“The same reason as yours. I’m enjoying the peaceful moment.” He took a seat not far from her, still beaming which she didn’t like even a bit.

“With all due respects, sunbae-nim but I don’t recall ever allowing you to enter the room.” She muttered, almost inaudible but firm.

Sunggyu chuckled for he had expected this kind of reaction from her. Yookyung was known for her distant personality and he was there to change it. He gazed upon her and said, “This is the school property so I have the same right as you to enter freely, Yookyung-sshi.”

She took a deep breath and flashed a forced smile, “Of course, sunbae-nim. But what brings you here when you specifically know I’m in here. As long as I can remember, we have never interacted before.”

“Well, why don’t we start now?”

‘Oh, how typical of Kim Sunggyu.  Always know the right thing to say.’

Though Yookyung was not a latest gossip follower she did know a thing or two. She heard how he dumped Eunji and how that break up went horribly wrong. Of course she never trusted rumours but seeing how dejected Eunji looked during the first day of school the news must have been true.

“Is that why you brought the cupcakes along as a friendly treat? Am I supposed to be touched cause I don’t think I’m feeling it, sunbae-nim.”

“You sure are cold, huh? I’m just trying to be a gentleman.” Sunggyu smirked, finally realized how difficult his mission could be. Hong Yookyung was not your average enemy. Underneath that poised appearance, there was a hard ice to break. ‘No wonder Chorong feels threatened’, he thought.

Yookyung closed her eyes briefly and gave him a deep stare, her lips pursued into a straight line, “I know what you are trying to pull off and it’s not going to work accordingly to your wish, sunbae-nim.”

With that smile still plastered on his face, Sunggyu shook his head slightly, “I have no idea what you’re saying, Yookyung-sshi.”

“Oh, please!” She exclaimed, her face hardened, “I know your intention barging here has something to do with your lovely step sister and I’m not buying anything you just said. And tell her, yes, I will still run for the president.”

His smile disappeared as he watched Yookyung packed her music books, standing and walking towards the door. Sunggyu turned to her, “Wait, how did you know?”

“People whisper and words spread.”  This time, it was her turn to smirk, “Here’s a lesson for you, sunbae-nim. Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.”

She stepped away from the room and the cupcakes were left untouched.

 

-----

 

Hayoung went down the stairs and rummaged through the fridge to find her favourite chocolate flavoured ice-cream. Leaning comfortably on the maroon sofa, she changed the TV channels. Nothing fascinated her until she stumbled upon the movie ‘Beat the World’ on one of the channels and suddenly remembered her failure the other day. She knew dancing was not her kind of thing but she never thought that she was actually bad in it.

Every time she practiced with Jiyoung, the pretty girl would always praise her, telling how talented she is and that she was to become the next BoA. And she believed it. Accepted into the dance club, the whole school acknowledged her and hanging out with Suzy. It was a perfect plan. But it was also the worst because now she admitted she had no talent whatsoever to join the cool people at school.

Taking a spoonful of dessert, she sniffed and Namjoo came into mind. Namjoo was right, she in dancing. She felt terrible for ditching Namjoo because of someone she just met. At first Jiyoung seemed like the perfect friend but she was wrong. Jiyoung was simply another rich brat who had nothing better to do than making fun of someone like her.

Her phone was at a hand reach but she was afraid to call Namjoo and make amends. They had countless stupid fights before and she knew Namjoo would forgive her if she said sorry. Mustering her guts, she dialed her number and felt her heart beating fast.

“Hello?” A voice greeted her a few seconds later.

“N-Namjoo?” She replied, swallowing her own voice.

 “Hayoung! Are you okay?”

Hearing the concerned tone, Hayoung broke into tears. Her nose went runny and she sobbed, mumbling incoherent words. Namjoo began panicking over the phone, “Hayoung, slow down! I-I can’t understand you. Why are you crying? Did something happen?”

She inhaled heavily and gathered her sense, “I-I’m upset and embarrassed of myself.”

“Why?”

“Haven’t you heard? I failed the audition and now the whole school thinks I’m a joke, Namjoo! And Jiyoung is such a bully! She told me I had a chance getting in but actually I can’t dance at all. They were laughing and booing me the whole time. I’m such a failure!”

“Hayoung.” Namjoo spoke softly, “That’s not true. You are not a failure. You just chose the wrong thing to do. Listen, I got accepted into the drama club and why don’t you join us? It will be just like middle school.”

Snuffling, she sighed, “I can’t! The registration had close. What am I going to do for my merit?”

“It’s okay, we’ll figure something out.”

“Can you come over?” Hayoung asked in a barely audible tone, pleading.

“Of course I will. I’ll bring you your favourite Slurpee.”

And right then Hayoung knew they were alright.

 

------

 

Bomi had always loves the cherry blossom tree that greeted her the moment she entered the school gate. It stood tall with the green bushy leaves and the beautiful pink petals. She would stop by to greet the tree before and after classes every day. People thought she was weird for talking to a tree but she felt at ease after pouring out all of her doubts and uncertainties.

That day after the dance practice had ended, Dongwoo walked her to the school gate. They were laughing at the funny incident happened to one of the new members when Bomi halted. Confused, Dongwoo asked, “Why are you stopping?”

“Look.” She pointed a finger towards the big tree. “The flowers are blossoming.”

Dongwoo grinned at the pleasurable view of the petals in full bloom. Next to him, Bomi was awestruck. Her eyes fell on the leaves dancing to the rhythm of the cool breeze, whispering, “It’s breathtaking.”

 “Come on.” Dongwoo held her wrist and dragged her to the tree, “We shall commemorate this moment.”

“What moment, sunbae?” Bomi tilted her head, a coy smile on her lips.

“Us. Here. Living the dream.” Dongwoo stated as a matter of fact while digging his backpack, looking for a pocketknife.

Bomi watched as he carved on the tree trunk carefully. They were standing at a close proximity that she could feel his heart beat. Her face was tinted pink and her smile grew wider. She rendered speechless as she read his carving.

‘Bomi n Dongwoo

Towards the dream’

Gently, she put her hand on the engraving and sighed blissfully. Turning to him, she beamed warmly, “Thank you, sunbae.”

“Why?”

“Just thank you.” She replied. For making me happy. 

 

--

 

A/N: I'm so touched by the number of subbies <3 Thanks guys!

Bringing your the latest chapter after quite some times gone away. Sorry, college is so hectic :/

So, it had been revealed before that Suho is Chorong's boyfriend and he has debut in this chapter. Clearely, you can see that their relationship is strictly bussiness. Both are the heir and heiress of big  companies and their fathers are bussiness partners. But you can see that Suho treated the relationship as more genuine compare to Chorong. Perhaps he had some feelings for being together with her but our dear Chorong, the cold hearted Chorong won't feel that way. And Woohyun is on the move! So exciting for those two :)

Hoya, Namjoo and Sungyeol are joining the drama club! And yes, they all passed hihi. Now, Hoya seemed suspicious as Naeun suspected. So, I wonder what is his real motive above all? We'll wait and see haha You can see Naeuns proctective side and that's sweet of her. But Eunji still trust him and she somehow believed he had no hidden agenda. Sungjong is making a great step to audition. After being pushed by his father and overshadowed by Sungyeol, he made his own decision and I couldn't be prouder! Hoping he will boost his self esteem cause he deserved to have one. 

Yeah my favourite part. As graceful as I would like to potray Yookyung, she is actually similar to Chorong. She's sharp and knows what she wants. And she said things directly, maybe putting the words less harsh. Here's a question, how did she know Sunggyu's real intention? And the 'beware of Greek bearing gifts' simply means to never trust your enemy and it was implied to two situations. Not gonna tell you haha :P Hayoung's part of the 'failure audition' was not shown for certain reasons. I'm trying to skip a few parts to fasten the flow of the story cause I think they progressed slowly. And as I said before, Namjoo and Hayoung were going to make up soon and they did! As best friends, they will have a lot of quarrels and make ups so don't be sad if they fight. 

Bomi and Dongwoo were kind of random. I think that they were the most stable so far and that they didn't relate much to other characters. But don't worry. They'll have their own problems as the story unfolds.

That's all. Enjoy, guys. Do comments or leave some feedback.

P.S: I heard of the news of the sunken ship and I'm saddened by the tragedy. SK must have been in deep grief and I understand that. During the MH370 tragedy, we were all terrified and still are in fact. So, my deepest condolences to the families of vicitms and the SK's netizens. May all the missing passengers found and return to their loved ones. Stay strong and may God help us get throught all these appalling tragedies.

#PrayFor SouthKorea