Chapter Nine

Mangwondong Family: Times of Our Lives

 

Title: Mangwondong Family: The Time of Our Lives

Genre: School drama, Friendship, Romance

 

C H A P T E R  N I N E

"The first temptation upon meeting an old friend after many years, is always to - look the other way."

-Ugo Betti

---

 

 

Sungyeol tapped his foot against the marble floor, leaning his back on the white wall. He hummed along to the song he was listening through his headphones and peered on his watch. It was a few minutes past three and the person he waited for wasn’t in sight. He thought of barging into the classroom (something he’d normally do) but seeing as he was about to ask for a favour, that action might appear as rude.

The door slid opened and Sungyeol looked up, watching the girl stepped out of the room and turned to closed the door. As she spun around, he fastened his steps towards her, the headphones was dangling around his neck.

“Wait!” He called out, trying to chase her from behind. Yookyung peeked but didn’t stop. Being a natural runner (he was the basketball team captain after all), Sungyeol dashed to her front and blocked her way.

That very action caused her to stop and glared at him, “What?”

“That’s not how you treat your sunbae, Yookyung.” Sungyeol grunted, staring back into her eyes.

She sighed, crossing her arms, “Fine, can I help you, sunbaenim?”

Sungyeol smirked, “Your help is exactly what I need, Yookyung.”

“If this is about the Math tutoring, then I’m sorry, sunbaenim. I can’t help you.”

She stepped to the side but Sungyeol stopped her, “Oh, come on! I’ll pay you, just name your price.”

Yookyung fought the need to roll her eyes (which she never did because manners but Sungyeol’s idiocy was insufferable) and replied, “I don’t want your money, sunbaenim. Plus, I’m really busy right now. I don’t have time to tutor you.”

“That’s not how a candidate should behave, Yookyung.”

“What?”

“I thought a president is supposed to be compassionate and helpful. You’re sure don’t want to lose some votes, right?”

She narrowed her eyes, “Are you threatening me?”

“I’m offering a help.” Sungyeol smirked, one Yookyung wanted to slap off and raised his eyebrow, waiting for her response. She stood there, weighing on her options. Since her first day as freshman, she knew his reputation. The school jock and prankster who everyone loved (still a jerk nonetheless). Honestly, tutoring him wouldn’t be such a problem but it was Sungyeol.

Lee freaking Sungyeol.

Yookyung didn’t want to be involved with him, she had enough issues on her shoulders (Bomi, Woohyun and Chorong) but she couldn’t push away the nagging feeling at the back of her neck, suggesting to at least hear his bargain.

“What’re you offering?” She asked in monotone.

“I’ll help you with the votes and you help me with my grade. Simple, isn’t?”

And that is one interesting offer, she thought. Yookyung closed her eyes and took a deep breath, “You better not try to do anything weird on me, sunbaenim.”

“I’m not! I promise.” Sungyeol held his hands up defensively.

“Fine, it’s a deal.” Yookyung said finally as Sungyeol’s grin stretched wider. He held out his hand, “Let’s shake on it.”

The younger’s face turned in horror and disgusted at the idea of touching him and Sungyeol was too busy enjoying her torture to even felt hurt. He recited, “You need to shake on it for a deal to happen, Yookyung.”

And she did (unwillingly), praying a little inside that this was not a mistake.

But what she didn’t know wouldn’t hurt her. Not until it’s coming anyway.

 

----

 

The smell of freshly brewed coffee and waffle whiffed her as she sauntered down the stairs in her crimson red silk robe. Sunday was the best because her father was out for a brunch date with Sunggyu’s mother and there would be nobody to bother her or require her attention on something. She could hear the distinct laughter from the kitchen and as she reached there, she found Sunggyu was stood next to Jumma, their personal housekeeper who was stirring a pot.

Chorong greeted, “Good morning.”

The two turned, a smile plastered on the old lady and an even wider smile formed on her brother, “Chorong, you’re up early. That’s a first.”

“Ha-ha. Morning jokes.” Chorong rolled her eyes as she sat on the stool, grabbing a box of strawberry milk on the kitchen counter. She craned her neck, her eyes squinting as she asked, “What are you making, Jumma?”

“I have a special request from your brother.”

At that, Chorong raised her eyebrows, giving Sunggyu a confused look to which he replied with a small grin, “It’s a secret.”

“Fine. Don’t tell me.”

Sunggyu chuckled and walked towards her, his grey T-shirt had ‘The Weekend’ doodle on the front, taking the seat next to Chorong. He nudged her, “Cheer up, Chorong. Next week, your campaign will be starting and I’m on my next move.”

“Now, that’s what I want to hear, brother.” Chorong stated, her eyes twinkled.

She knew his loyal brother would never disappoint her. Sure, he made bad decisions (his group of friends? Duh) but Chorong knew exactly which card to pull for him to never betray her.

“Glad I could brighten your day, Chorong.” He replied, putting his elbows on the white surface, “Say, how’s Little Rong?”

“Little Rong?” Chorong furrowed her forehead, turning to face him before a realization dawned upon her, “Oh. You mean, Hayoung? She’s ambitious but easily intimidated which is beneficial for me because I get to order her around without being too abusive.”

“She worships the ground you walk on.” Sunggyu recited dryly.

“I know.” Chorong smirked, “And that’s why I’m keeping her.”

He stared to his left, saw her face crinkled with delight, her white teeth in full display. Chorong had that kind of face only when she was with him. In this house, just the two of them. And he knew well that his sister valued him more than anyone. Even her father or her dead mother. In her eyes, Sunggyu was her only family.

It made him felt overprotective (though he was aware that she could take care of herself just fine) and lenient towards her. He shut himself up even when she was planning something crazy or damaging. Something like Jung Eunji.

At the thought of that name, Sunggyu’s heart clenched a little. He slouched forward, burying his face in his arms, taking a deep breath and pushed that little thought down deeply. Clearing his throat, he straightened up peeking at Chorong, asking, “How do you like your assistant? I haven’t meet him yet.”

She glanced, lips pursued into a thin line, “As annoying and infuriating he is, he does his job right. He kept bothering me about my personal life so I paid him extra and thankfully he kept that poor little mouth shut. It’s that simple, Sunggyu.

They’re all the same. They’re all after the money.”

“Do you trust him?”

Chorong looked into his eyes, trying to find any humor traces on his face but Sunggyu was gawking her with his black irises, none seemed to be showing any sign of jokes right now. She answered, her face was calm, “I trust him enough.”

“What does that mean?” Sunggyu creased his eyebrows.

“It means that he doesn’t matter, Sunggyu.” Chorong reached out to smooth down his eyebrows, “They don’t matter. None of them does. Only you and I matter. You. And. Me.”

“Cho-“

“When all of this is over, Sunggyu, when we leave school, after we graduate, we only have each other. You and I, we’re a team.”

Sunggyu looked down, staring at the shiny marble floor. He brought his arm over her shoulder, pulling her tucked in the space between his head and his neck, saying, “Yeah, we are a team, sister.”

 

----

 

As the clock strike 12, the boy sauntered towards a small stall selling spicy rice cakes next to his building and took a seat. He ordered two plate of them and waited. A few minutes after, another boy came, his snapback framing his good looking face.

Woohyun smiled and cocked to the seat next to him, “Here.”

“Thanks.” Myungsoo said as he sat down, his hand quickly grabbed the cider can on the table and gulped the drink down his throat.

“Old habit dies hard, huh?” Woohyun watched in amusement as his friend emptied the can and burped.

“Tell me about it.” Myungsoo replied, a faint smile was on his face, “How are you adjusting, hyung?”

“Fine, I guess.” Woohyun shrugged before asking back, “How are you adjusting, Myungsoo?”

Scoffing, he shook his head, “Crazy girls are after my every day that I can’t even eat in peace.”

“I will never understand your frustration over crazy chicks going after you.” Woohyun mused, a playful smile etched on his face. “Just enjoy the gift from God, Myungsoo.”

The said boy snorted as he poked his rice cake with a fork, commenting, “Trust me, hyung. Nothing about this is normal let alone a gift.”

“Who could have thought, huh?” Woohyun grinned, his eyes reflected that of a playful look, “That quiet kid from Mirae Middle School is now a world known rock star.”

The younger glanced at him and formed a small smile. He hadn’t seen him for 5 years and Woohyun was still the same. The cocky-overly confident young boy who used to have Myungsoo’s back. Meanwhile, Myungsoo on the other hand had changed. He was no longer the easy bullying target. He was still quiet, yes but he had grown.

And he had stopped caring. He didn’t care what people think of him. He didn’t care how his family shut him out after he joined his band. He didn’t care that his bandmates hated his guts and glad that he was out. And he certainly didn’t care that last week, Suzy bumped into him and only offered him a smile.

Not a word, not a look of recognition. Just a smile.

He pretended that it didn’t hurt. But it did. Even a little, he was hurt because she was the only reason he stopped pursuing his career and went back to school. Myungsoo didn’t blame her though. He only had himself to blame for being such a coward; both by leaving her behind a few years ago and for not talking to her about him being back.

Sighing, he said, “I haven’t talk to Suzy yet.”

“Still?” Woohyun exclaimed with a disbelief look, “Damn, grow a pair of balls, Myungsoo. She’s not going to wait for you forever. Soon enough, hungry and hormones driven bastards are going to snatch her away.”

He snorted (yeah, Woohyun never change), “I will talk to her. I just need to wait for the right moment.”

Shaking his head, Woohyun said, “Well, just don’t come crying to me cause I’m sure as hell won’t hug and comfort you like I did then. Speaking of the old times, have you talk to Yookyung?”

“No, not really.” He shrugged.

“Why?” Woohyun raised his eyebrows, “She was your friend too.”

Myungsoo gave him a ‘are you kidding me’ look and answered, “She was not my friend. She was your girl, hyung.”

“But we were the four musketeers back then!” Woohyun pumped his fist, talking quiet loudly, ignoring Myungsoo’s reference of ‘your girl’. The younger rolled his eyes at Woohyun’s ridiculousness, saying, “We were only ten and eleven, hyung. Plus, Yookyung hated my guts and only talked to me because you said so.”

“No, she wasn’t.” Woohyun denied his words, almost too rush, “Yookyung is different than other girls. She knows what she wants and she certainly doesn’t need other people to tell her what to do.”

Amused at his quick defense, Myungsoo quirked his brow and grinned, “She fancies you, hyung. You’re the only one who’s not seeing it. And speaking of independent women, isn’t Chorong the same?”

“What’s your point?”

“My point is you have a bad taste in girls.”

It was lucky that Myungsoo dodged swift enough as Woohyun flung his arm.

 

----

 

“O’ Romeo! O’ Juliet!”

“O’ shut up!” Eunji rolled her eyes and couldn’t hide that small smile from forming at Hoya’s silly acting.

They were in the club after school hours as Hoya had been begging her for days to help him practicing for the audition which wasn’t an easy feat for Eunji because well- Hoya was never serious. He was playful (in an adorable way) and relaxed, not at all nervous that this was his first time trying to audition for a play. For Eunji had been in the area a little longer than him, she often found herself frustrated at his lack of interest to do everything accordingly.

He was supposed to play a role of a love struck teenage boy who fell head over heels over the main lead. Instead, Hoya was standing in a black cape and golden belt around his waist, reciting to Romeo and Juliet.

Which would had been funny if it wasn’t the third time that day.

“Sunbae!” Eunji exclaimed, shooting him a tired look, “You’re supposed to follow the lines in the script.”

He waved her off as he reached for the actual script book and opened to the page it was marked. Finally settling in, he said in a low tone, “Will we meet again?”

“Probably.” Eunji nodded, her eyes peeking at the book in her hand, “Will you come here again?”

With a small smile, he replied, “Probably.”

“Then, yes, Joon ha-shhi.” Eunji said softly, “We will meet again.”

With that, Hoya clapped gleefully and bowed, his eyes were on her, winking, “That’s great, Eunji. Five minute break!”

“Sunbae.” Eunji groaned as he took off his cape and belt and walked towards the chair and searching for his phone in his backpack. She then followed suit, taking a seat next to him. They had been doing this for a week and so far, there was no progression. Eunji was on the verge of giving up but Hoya always talked her out of it. He was good at that. Talking people up. If that even make sense.

Honestly, Eunji was glad that they were able to hang out properly without any awkwardness between them. Hoya hadn’t bring the S word and she was thankful because what kind of conversation will that be? Talking about your ex-boyfriend with his best friend.

Awkward.

Not to mention, suffocating.

“Oh, look!” Hoya suddenly said, his eyes were on his phone before turning to face her, “The dance club is going to the skate park.”

“Sounds cool.” Eunji nodded slightly before sighing, “I figure you want to go, huh?”

“Yeah. I can’t miss it.” He gave her a grin, an apologetic one.

She shrugged, “Then, go. It’s okay.”

“Same time tomorrow?”

“Sure.” She waved him goodbye as he disappeared from the room. But, a few seconds after, she heard a knock and his head popped at the door, “Sorry, Eunji. Are you sure you’re cool with this.”

“Yes. Just go.”

Another knock. “You’re sure?”

“Yup!”

Another knock. “Seriously?”

“As serious as a heartbeat.” Eunji rolled her eyes, starting to get annoyed, “Just go, sunbae!”

“Okay, see you tomorrow, Juliet!” He gave her a grin, this time a playful one and winked. Eunji shook her head as she stifled a laugh when she heard the knocking again. Frustrated, she cried, “Hoya subae!”

As she turned to look at the door, she gasped and froze in her place. Because there he was, in the school uniform, looking as dapper as ever, something flashed in his eyes as he spoke, “Sunggyu. It’s Sunggyu.”

Eunji felt a punch in her gut as he stood there, studying her face which was exactly what she was doing too. She was studying his face, his small eyes and his thin lips. She noticed he had dyed his hair from black into dark brown which actually suited him more. The small scar across his left eyebrow was no more there or perhaps it was concealed for it brought their memory alive.

Swallowing, Eunji croaked, “H-Hoya sunbae isn’t here. He just l-left.”

She hated that she was stuttering in front of him and her voice sounded pitched and high. He nodded, casually putting his hands in his pockets, “Okay, then.”

“Okay.”

With one last look (one she couldn’t depicher) Sunggyu turned his heels and walked away. As his steps were not audible, Eunji panted, taking a breath she didn’t realize she was holding.

 

--

 

A/N: Hi again after 3 months :D

I'm glad that Yookyung and Sungyeol have finally meet and that their story will unfold later. This should be interesting as you can see that Yookyung despise Sungyeol because he always doesn't seem to care what's happening around him while Yookyung is someone who's in control and has a routine. Their personalities differ significantly but love always has a trick of making way into someone's heart, right? ;p

It's been awhile since we seen the sister-brother action! I love writing these two because I feel like they have a strong bond despite their opinions. While Chorong might look like she was ruthless, she actually cared for Sunggyu and everything she had done was what she thought best for the two of them. And Sunggyu would always support her and I'm excited to see how he will try to step out of her shadow. Just wait!

I bet you didn't see that coming, huh? Nine chapters into this story, then only revealed Woohyun and Myungsoo were old friends. While Woohyun might not be as close as he was with Yookyung, he had been a good hyung to Myungsoo. And noticed how Myungsoo was kind of a relaxed person with Woohyun? The  way he talked and joked around, only Woohyun was able to bring that side out.

Another HoJi moment ;) Hoya has always been playful and of course he's going to stay that way- even with Eunji. I think this story has started to shift its focus towards her and with that unexpected brief meeting with Sunggyu, there will more light to their past relationship.

That's all. Enjoy, guys. Do comments or leave some feedback.