Chapter Three

Mangwondong Family: Times of Our Lives

 

Title: Mangwondong Family: The Time of Our Lives

Genre: School drama, Friendship, Romance

 

C H A P  T E R  T H R E E

'You cannot change the people around you, but you can change the people you choose to be around.'

-Unknown

--

 

 

Sungjong loosened his tie and pushed the white gate. A black sedan was parked in the front porch and he groaned. He wasn’t ready to meet his father yet. It was the second week of school and he’d been avoiding his father and his maddening questions. He opened the front door, walking in the two storey house.

“Sungjong.”

Hearing his name being called, Sungjong halted and turned to his right. His father was sitting on the couch, reading the newspaper. He didn’t even spare a glance at his youngest son. Sungjong heard faint sound of guitar and saw his older brother strumming the acoustic guitar besides him.

“Hi, Dad.” Sungjong greeted, staring at the floor. “I was just- “

“Did you pass the school tryout?” Mr. Lee asked within second and Sungjong felt a tight knot in his stomach. They haven’t met for a week and the first thing he had to ask was the ‘football tryout’ which he had failed inadequately in front of everybody including his brother. Not a ‘how are you?’ or a simple ‘I miss you’. He should have known.

“Sungjong. I’m talking to you.” His father’s voice echoed in the living room and his eyes were still on the paper. 

“Yes, I hear you, Dad.” Sungjong faked a cheerful voice, “and the tryout. Of course I made it to the school team!”

Finally, his father looked up and smiled proudly, “Great. You’re following your brother’s steps. That’s great, Sungjong.”

Sungjong’s face fell at the mention of his brother but the sorrow didn’t stay long. He was used to it. Ever since he was little, his life was practically his brother’s. Every single thing his brother would do, Sungjong had to abide. It was hard for him. Having to deny his own feelings for the sake of his father’s wish.

That was why, today, Lee Sungjong chose to lie on his father’s face and ignored the shocked look on his brother’s. He mumbled a thank you and gone to his room upstairs.

“Liar.”

Sungjong sat on his single bed and ed his shirt, “What are you doing here, hyung?”

“Why did you lie to Dad?” Sungyeol rested his back on the wall. “You failed the tryout, Sungjong. If he asks about the games, what are you going to tell him?”

“I’ll just lie again.” Sungjong pulled his socks and threw them aside. “Now, get out of my room.”

Ignoring his angry look, Sungyeol sat on his desk, “There’s a basketball tryout on Wednesday evening. Try giving it a shot, Sungjong.”

“I did last year, remember? And I failed just like yesterday. Being humiliated in front of the school.” He whispered those last words and his face hurt.

“That was last year. I am the captain now. You’ll get in the team. Come on. Just give it a shot. You don’t even have to shoot baskets, Sungjong.” Sungyeol tried to convince him. This is one of his rare side. Sungyeol is always the goofy one, he never takes anything seriously but towards his brother, he felt a load of responsibility on his shoulder. He felt that he needed to watch Sungjong’s back.

Sungjong snorted at his statements, “Please, hyung. I don’t need you to watch over me. Besides, me joining the team will only bring shame on you. I remember clearly how you warned me not to tell anyone that we are associated.”

“Well, “ Sungyeol hesitated, “it’s not like I’m announcing to the school that my brother is in the team. I just want to help you, Sungjong.”

Sungjong let out an amused laugh and ruffled his hair. He crossed his arm and raised an eyebrow, “I don’t need your help, hyung. I have my own plan on how to manage my own life.”

“What is your plan? Stop doing useless thing, Sungjong.” Sungyeol replied with despair. His hand traced along the wooden desk and his eyes caught something. A flyer. An audition. The drama club. “You’re not planning to audition, right?”

Sungjong shrugged, causing Sungyeol to feel distress. With the flyer in his hand, he walked across the room back and forth, “Sungjong! The drama club is for freaks! You can’t join in.”

“Freaks? But, your best friend is one of those freaks.”

“Naeun’s another story. The others are all losers. You don’t want to be labeled as a loser, right?” He stopped and faced Sungjong, giving him a serious look. He knew how Sungjong always wanted to be in a play but joining the drama club isn’t bringing him anywhere. He’ll get bullied and trampled. Everyone in the school- no, scratch that, every sane one in the school knew only nerds and geeks were in the drama club.

“I’ve been a loser since I was born, hyung. I was a loser in middle school. There’s no different. Once a loser, always a loser, remember? You said them yourself. I heard it when you were talking to the Cheerios.”  Sungjong stared at him, “And I don’t care if joining the club will push me down the status ladder. As long as I’m happy, the trivial things don’t matter. But, why do you care anyway, hyung?”

“I promised Mom to take care of you. You’re my responsibility, Sungjong.” Sungyeol confessed firmly but it only brought annoyance to Sungjong.

He pulled his arms and shoved him out of his room, “Well, Mom was not around anymore so stop pestering me. Stay out of my life. Just don’t barging in my life and tell me that and whatnot. I hate you already, hyung. You make my life a living hell. Don’t make me hate you more.”

With that, Sungjong slammed the door on his brother’s face.

 

-----

 

Namjoo pressed the bell as she stood in front of the white door. She had been here for 15 minutes but nobody answered. She knew Mr. and Mrs. Oh weren’t home but where the hell was Hayoung? She called her but Hayoung didn’t pick up.

She bended down and waited for Hayoung to come home. Sometimes, she peered at her watch or played with her phone. After what seemed like half an hour, she heard a zooming sound from outside of the gate house. A white car halted in front and Namjoo saw Hayoung came out of it, all smiles. Her hands were full of shopping bags.

Hayoung slammed the car door and waved at whoever who was inside the car. It was when she swung open her gate that Hayoung noticed the sulky Namjoo waiting for her, “Namjoo? What are you doing here?”

“It’s our movie time, remember?” Namjo got up and crossed her arms. “Where have you been, Hayoung-ah? And why didn’t you answer my calls?”

Hayoung took out her keys and unlocked the front door. She stepped inside and headed to her bedroom with Namjoo trailing behind. Reaching her room, she threw her shopping bags on her bed and sat in front of the mirror, removing her make-up.

“Hayoung! You didn’t answer my questions! Why weren’t you picking up my calls?” Namjoo began feeling frustrated.

Sighing, Hayoung replied, “I was out shopping and I forgot about our date, Namjoo. My phone was on silent mode because Jiyoung didn’t want to be interrupted during the mani-pedi.”

“Jiyoung who? And what is mani-pedi?”

“My classmate, Kang Jiyoung. I told you about her before, Namjoo-ah.”

“That super rich kid in your class?” Namjoo asked and Hayoung simply nodded. “I didn’t know you guys are close.”

Hayoung chuckled as she wiped off her eyeliner. She admitted there was a truth behind Namjoo’s statement. When she first entered the class, Jiyoung caught her attention. At first sight, Hayoung knew Jiyoung was from a wealthy family. She gave that rich vibe everywhere she went. But, Jiyoung wasn’t exactly the high and mighty type. Sure she dressed to kill and only wore branded items but she was generous enough to offer Hayoung a ride home every day and even a trip to the mall.

“Well, I thought she was a proud Barbie but actually she’s not plastic at all. You can’t even compare her with the ‘Mean Girls’.” Hayoung faced to turn Namjoo, “So, how about you? Any new friends?”

“Hmm, let’s see.” Namjoo lied on the bed and hugged the pink plush toy. Immediately, she sat up straight and said, “Well, there’s this one girl in my class. She’s really pretty. And nice too. Her name is Jinri. We talked a few times in class. But after I told her about my Star Wars role-play, she didn’t come to me anymore. I think she doesn’t like Star Wars. What a weirdo!”

Hayoung snorted, “Namjoo, you’re the weirdo! Nobody role-play Star Wars anymore. Only you and your annoying brother thought it is cool. I’d only put up with your wacky activity because you’re my best friend. But, seriously, Namjoo. The cosplay and sword fighting need to stop.”

Namjoo pouted and hurled the plush toy towards Hayoung. It hit her on the forehead, quite hard. Namjoo might seem childish but she was rather brutal. Hayoung got up, her hands on her forehead, irritated, “Namjoo! Stop throwing things at me or I’ll kick your flat !”

Laughing hard, Namjoo held her stomach, “So, Hayoung, you’re going to the arcade with me this Thursday, right?”

Puckering her lips, Hayoung pondered for a moment before she remembered her plan with Jiyoung, “Oh, I almost forgot! I’m sorry. Jiyoung and I are going to audition for the dance club. Maybe next time, Nammie.”

Namjoo raised a brow, “Dance club? Hayoung, I thought we agreed to join the drama club!”

“No, we didn’t.”

“Yes, we did.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“Whatever. I’m still going.”

“But, Hayoung- “

Hayoung rolled her eyes, beginning to feel frustrated at her immature attitude, “Stop whining, okay? I never promise to join the drama club with you, Namjoo-ah. Jiyoung said drama club is full of geeks and the cool kids are in the dance club. So, I’m going to join the dance club this year.”

“Don’t make me laugh.” Namjoo scoffed, a bit hurt hearing her words, “You and the word dance could never be put in the same sentence, Hayoung.  Remember middle school? You destroyed the props while dancing to Sound of Music. So much of a lead female role, huh?”

“You’re just jealous!” Hayoung finally stood up on her feet and accused a finger towards Namjoo.

“No, I’m not! You’re in dancing!”

Hayoung grabbed one of her shopping bag and smacked Namjoo,“That’s it, Namjoo! Get out! I hate you, you flat !”

“Fine! Go try your luck in dancing. Don’t come running to me when you fail!” Namjoo yelled back before stormed out the bed room and left the house, furious.

 

-----

 

He snapped his sore neck and glanced around. When only silence greeted him, he heaved and sat down on the stairs. He saw her today and his heart jumped. She looked beautiful as she always was back when they were still acquaintances. Sorrow loomed his face as he cursed himself for being such a coward. The first week of school and he had every opportunity to talk to her. But he let them passed. Just like a ship sailing across the ocean. Drifting and never come back.

Startled by a cold sensation on his left cheek, Myungsoo turned to his back and saw a girl standing behind him, holding a can of Nescafe. His gaze pierced her skull as he was a bit annoyed by the presence of uninvited fan. Peculiarly, the girl didn’t budge.

Instead, she said, “You look so hot I thought this might cool you down.”

Unimpressed by her pick up line, Myungsoo replied coldly, “What do you want?”

“Oh!” she exclaimed, “Okay, that didn’t go well. Actually, a friend of mine taught me that line. He said it’s useful when you want to pick up a girl. Clearly, he’s wrong, right?”

She shoved the drink in his hand before he could even say anything and said, “Here, take this. It’s for you. I know you like caffeine drink.”

“Thanks.” Myungsoo mumbled, loud enough for her to hear and curved up her lips.

“How about a proper introduction? I’m Son Naeun.” She held out her hand. “We have three classes together.”

He shook her hand and sat still, pondering on his lost thoughts. He wished Naeun would go away after seeing his cold response but apparently he was wrong. She took a seat beside him and took a good look at her favourite idol. Naeun never had this kind of admiration to anyone. Until last year, when Myungsoo’s band debuted she fell in love at the first sight. It’s kind of cliché for the fans to pick the vocalist as their favourite member but to Naeun, it was the cool guitarist that caught her eyes and her heart.

It broke her heart when she found out Myungsoo was leaving the band after only a year debuted. But her heartache was healed as Myungsoo enrolled into this school.

“I wonder how on earth you will survive high school, Myungsoo oppa.” Naeun spoke, catching him off guard.

Instead of answering, he asked her back, “Why are you calling me oppa?”

“Well, I’m your fan! You said it yourself on the radio interview that you would love for the fans to call you that.”

Myungsoo glared at her but Naeun kept the beam on her face as she carefully asked, “I can call you oppa, right?”

He didn’t response to her question but his face was unreadable so Naeun took courage to talk, “I hope you’ll be careful. High school is full of drama, Myungsoo oppa. Just don’t choose the wrong clique.”

“Drama?”, Myungsoo scoffed, his face slightly irritated, “I’d been in a band with crazy fangirls chasing our asses every freaking day. I know well to not deal with those bulls.”

Ignoring his offensive words, Naeun shook her head vigorously, “No! It’s nothing like that. High school is so much worse. They will say nice things to your face and then stab you in the back when you least expect it. I mean, even this so called renowned school is ruled by the queen of all hypocrites and her stupid servant.”

“Who?”

“The seniors. They’re step siblings. Park Chorong and Kim Sunggyu. Well, Sunggyu is fine I guess but I still hate him for what he did to my best friend. It’s the sister you have to watch out for. She’s so cunning and manipulates everyone to fall into her trap. I’m so annoyed that only a few people can see through her. Even the one who is everyone’s favourite, the sweet Suzy is friends with her. That nasty woman. Ugh!” Naeun stomped her feet in frustration.  “I mean, come on- “

She kept on babbling but Myungsoo stopped listening after Naeun mentioned her name. His heart skipped a beat.

‘Yeah, she is indeed sweet.’

“Myungsoo oppa? Why are you smiling?”

The question startled him and he quickly wiped that stupid grin off his face, clearing his throat awkwardly, “No I’m not.”

“Yes, you are.”

“No.”

“Uhm, yes. I see you smiled-“

“I didn’t, okay! You’re annoying.” Myungsoo stood up and dusted off his buttock before taking steps to leave the dumbfounded Naeun. When he was a few meters away from her, he suddenly stopped and turned.

“You.”

Naeun raised her eyebrows and pointed to herself, “Me?”

“Yeah, you. You seemed like a smart person despite your annoying babbling so I need to ask you something.” He said in a monotone.

Hearing his words, Naeun’s face lightened up and her eyes sparkled. Her favourite idol said she was smart. Her celebrity boyfriend wanted to ask her something. She got up and strutted to him saying, “Yes, of course. Ask me anything! I’ll answer them honestly.”

Myungsoo stared at the girl standing in front of him. Eyeing her from head to toe, he admitted that this girl is quite attractive. Not that he was in awestruck of anything but he’d never been so close to a girl before. Well, except for her and the staffs of his former agency. In his perspective, Naeun appeared reserved and timid but the minute she started blathering, he was annoyed. Strangely, he didn’t shut her or tell her off.

Hands in pocket, he asked nonchalantly, “How do you impress someone without trying too hard?”

Naeun looked at him blankly, blinking her eyes. She tilted her head and tried to come up with a good answer because she didn’t want to disappoint him. Her brows knitted together while she rubbed her hands against each other. Clapping her hands gleefully, she said, “I know! You can try joining a sports club!”

Myungsoo startled at how excited she sounded but brushed it off quickly, “Sports club?”

“Yes!” Naeun nodded ecstatically, “It will help you with your merit and girls go crazy over athletes. My friend is the ace of his team and everyone follows him around. And he – wait! How about you joined the basketball team? I can recommend you plus you’re good, right! There’s a tryout this evening. Try giving it a shot.”

“Sounds good.” He replied and patted her shoulder, “Thanks. You’re a good classmate.”

Naeun watched his back getting farther and then disappeared at the corner. She could feel her heart beating like crazy as she touched her shoulder and muttered softly, “You’re welcome.”

 

-----

 

The toneless teacher kept explaining on a complex Math formula in front of the class but none of them were actually listening. Except for Sunggyu. He focused and sometimes jotted down notes, ignoring the soft snoring beside him and a muffle of laughter behind him. He knew well that Sungyeol was playing pranks with his other jocks at the back of the room and Hoya was taking his usual nap with his ‘Mathematics For Students’ covering him.

Ringing of bells was heard and the teacher began cleaning his belongings, “That’s it for today, class. And I want you to submit the papers I gave earlier, tomorrow. I expect them on my desk by eight, Kim Sunggyu.”

Sunggyu nodded, “Yes, sir.”

“Lee Howon, you need to stop taking nap in my class or I’ll send you to the principal.” He continued, giving a stern look to Hoya who was rubbing his eyes. Hoya smiled sheepishly and gave Mr. Kwon a thumb up. He shook his head in response and held his briefcase, “Class dismissed.”

The students left the class, ready to head home. Hoya yawned and stretched his limbs before gathering his stuffs and shoved them in his bag.

“Did you have a good rest?” Sunggyu said, smacking his back with his book. Hoya snorted at his best friend sarcasm and replied, “That was quite a nap. My neck is a little sore though.”

Sunggyu was about to rebut when Sungyeol came between them, putting his arms around the boys’ shoulders, snickering, “Sunggyu dear, how on earth did you manage to stay awake listening to that old man? I mean, I know you’re half robot but I thought robots can feel bored too! And Hoya, my man. Respect.”

He high fived Hoya and the pair cackled, earning a laser shot from Sunggyu. Sungyeol mocked him, “Quit frowning, Sunggyu. You look old enough. Chicks might run off.”

“One more insult from your mouth and I’ll punch your stupid little brain, you arse.” Sunggyu warned with a playful tone, “Are you going straight to the gym? I’m thinking to grab something before watching the tryout.”

Shrugging, Sungyeol said, “Yeah, I have to get change and warm up. You know how Coach Jung is. I’m the captain now. Like how he said in our first meeting of the year ‘Sungyeol, from now on you need to be responsible. You’re the team pillar blah blah blah.’ That dude needs to calm down, really. The season hasn’t even started yet! I think he needs to get laid.”

Hoya laughed out loud at his comment while Sunggyu pushed his arm away, “You’re grossing me out, Sungyeol. I told you, stop watching .”

“Hey, is a need, okay!” Sungyeol exclaimed and made a kissy face just to annoy Sunggyu more. Hoya gave him a smack on the head, shoving him away, “Shush now, Sungyeol. You’re gonna be late.”

“See you, man!” Sunggyu yelled as Sungyeol left the classroom, his distinct laughter erupted. The two lads shook their heads at his absurdity. They headed to the cafeteria to get some drinks before going to the gym to watch the tryout.

Hoya sipped on his latte, “Do you think Sungjong’s gonna come?”

“I don’t know. Sungjong hates his brother’s guts, remember?”

“Weird. I mean, they’re related by blood yet they don’t get along with each other while you and Chorong are inseparable –“

“Sunggyu!”

A voice suddenly cut off Hoya’s ranting and Sunggyu frowned seeing his sister a few steps away from them. She stormed to their direction and her face didn’t look so good. Hoya nudged him, whispered, “Speaking of the devil. Here’s come the little queen.”

Sunggyu hushed him as he chortled before putting a calm face when Chorong was standing in front of them. Chorong, being her usual self whenever nobody’s around, gave Hoya a grimy look. Hoya was used to her repulsive attitude and decided to just joke a little.

“Milady.” He bowed his head, lowering his body, “What brings you here, Your Majesty? Are you here for Commander Kim?”

Chorong crossed her arms and replied, “Can you shut up? I had enough dealing with idiots!”

Instead of getting hurt by her harsh words, Hoya grinned widely, looking amused, “I take this as my cue to leave, Milady. I’ll save a seat for you, Commander Kim.”

As he left, Sunggyu preached, “Stop treating my friends that way, Chorong.”

“Well, you’re being an towards my friends so it’s a fair play, my brother.” Chorong responded, patting his cheek. “Why didn’t you accept the invitation last night?”

“You want me to hang out with your stupid boyfriend? Nu-uh. I would rather put up with Sungyeol’s nonsense than breathing the same air with him.” Sunggyu spat in a way he knew well would agitate her. Nobody can refuse to her order.

“Really? Your dense, brainless friends won’t do any good for you in the future, Sunggyu! They won’t be with you when you stand in the company, working with real people. They will only come to you, kissing up your just to get money from you. How many times do I have to tell you? Stop hanging with them losers.”

Sunggyu closed his eyes, taking a deep breath trying to hold his anger. He realized how ruthless Chorong can be but he couldn’t accept her rudeness, talking trash about Sungyeol and Hoya. He muttered angrily, “I can hang out with whoever I want, Chorong. That’s our deal. And I will never be acquaintance with Suho. That guy is a blithering prick. Not my kind of person.”

“Huh?” Chorong looked at him in disbelief, “Well, tell that to his blithering prick father who decided to emerge with my father’s company last year to save us from starvation. To save you your precious Agusta. And your mother dearest Christian Louboutin shoes. So, stop being so pretentious and start listening to me, Kim Sunggyu.”

Chorong smiled in triumph as she knew she won the argument. She always won against him and right now was no exception. Sunggyu slumped in defeat and murmured, “Fine. I’ll go to his stupid party. You’re happy, Little Queen?”

“Splendid.” Chorong clasped her hands, “Now, I want to ask you about that DSP heiress. Any progress?”

Sunggyu shook his head, “I haven’t even met her yet.”

Chorong slapped his shoulder in frustration, “What is wrong with you? Losing your touch after dwelling with that Busan drama freak? You need to move fast, Sunggyu. Rumours flee that she’s after my position. I need her to get distracted.”

“I know. I’m on it, okay?”

“Good.”

“Now, can I go to the gym? I’m late already.” Sunggyu asked sarcastically.

Chorong rolled her eyes, waved him off, “Yeah, whatever. Go waste your time with them. Shoo, you – Wait!”

“What?”

Chorong narrowed her eyes at him, “Do you by any chance know someone’s named Nam Woohyun?”

“Never heard of him.” Sunggyu gave her a skeptical look, “Why? What about him?”

“No, it’s nothing.”

 

-----

 

/Hello?

/Hey, Yookyung.

/Oh. It’s you.

/How’re you doing?

/I’m fine. Where are you right now?

/Seoul.

/What are you doing here?

/I want to meet you. We have a lot of catching up to do.

/Okay. I’ll text you. Bye

/Bye.

 

--

 

A/N: Guys, guess who's back? LOL The amount of subbies while I'm gone aww <3

The newest chapter bring you the rest of the main characters! Sungjong and Yookyung yeay :) 

And the secret was revealed! Haha, well not really. Sungjong and Sungyeol are brothers - awkward brothers. They obviously don't get along that well since Sungjong was feeling resentful toward Sungyeol. I've seen those kind of sib relationship on TV a lot. You know how the younger was overshadowed by the older. That's the case of them. Sungyeol was really popular at his school, being the basketball all star and the school prankster while Sungjong was this awkward, out of place kid. He had to do things he didn't want and failed all over again. Sungyeol was quite embarassed to admit being the brother of him but he still care about him. This new side of him just show he can be a little mature if he want.

And then the forever childish bestie, Hayoung and Namjoo. You can see that Hayoung was beginning to adapt to being one of the cool kids and Namjoo was still Namjoo. They were still young so this kind of argument happened a lot so don't worry. It's nothing big. They'll make up late haha Next, Myungsoo got a fair part after that brief intro in chap 1. With our fav Naeun! Yeah, I love them muchh. Naeun was kind of talktative huh. It just showed that she was confident in front of someone she likes because she felt the need to impress him. Well I can say that Naeun was actually bipolar. In the first chap she was a bit grumpy and the second chap she became this sweet girl defended her friend. Myungsoo seemed a bit cold at first but he eventually conversed comfortably with Naeun which was really rare of him by the way. 

Moving on, you can totally see how Sunggyu was actually a good student. He paid attention in class, being the class representative and definitely every teacher's fav! But of course, he is such a different person around his two friends. I first thought of making Sunggyu rather skeptical towards Sungyeol. You know, since Sungyeol was such a dork and Sunggyu was kind of compose. But then I remember he was nothing like Chorong. He can tolerate with others. Chorong had never approved of Sungyeol and Hoya. She didn't fancy them much since they're just commoners. No family title backing them up and Hoya was used to her being hateful and all. I love writing Chorong. You know, being y and all hee she's a unique character.

Finally, Yookyung made an appearance! Well, a brief-phone call appearance LOL and who's that mystery guy/girl? He/She was definitely one of the main characters *winkwink*

That's all. Enjoy, guys. Do comments or leave some feedback.