Americano.

Coffee.

 

Just another day at work... It's been a week since he came with his friends. I wanna see him smile, and hear him laugh. It's pathetic I know. But I can't help it. I'm just another one of the millions who look at him. A heavy sigh escaped my lips.
 
I put the Americano and caramel macchiato onto the tray, and looked around for the customer. The customer must have seen me looking around and nonchalantly signalled me to come over. He must have expected me to serve his drinks. It's a self service counter since we're a just a small cafe, but since there weren't many customers, I went over anyway.
 
The customer, an affluent looking man, was having a animated conversation with a pretty lady. Sounds as though he was trying hard to impress the lady. I was approaching their table when his hand accidentally hit the tray I was carrying. Hot coffee spilling onto my fingers and apron, ceramic mugs breaking upon contact with the floor.
 
I was stunned.
 
"You fat idiot! Are you stupid or what?!" He shouted. I couldn't move. Even though my hand was burning from the hot liquid that it came in contact with.I was truly stupefied.
 
"Why are you standing there for!? Maybe if you weren't so fat, you wouldn't be so clumsy!" He shouted again. His voice ringing in my ears. My tears were threatening to fall. Not from the heat of the coffee, but from the sharp words, stabbing my chest like venomous daggers.
 
"Sir. I think you're outta line." a gentle voice said.... I looked up to see Mithra Jin staring at that man, a frown upon his face.
 
"I don't wanna drink coffee anymore," a lady's voice said. They stood up to leave. "fat b*tch" the man said silently, but loud enough for me to hear.
 
Not only was I embarassed, the whole ordeal had to happen in front of Mithra Jin. The venom from the words making its way to my heart. I was dying inside.
 
I began to pick up the pieces of the broken mugs. Refusing to look up.
 
"Are you ok?" Mithra asked.
 
I nodded. 
 
"are you sure?" he asked again.
 
I nodded again. Still refusing to look up. Next thing I knew, he was helping me picking up the pieces. "It's ok. I'll take ur order shortly" I mumbled. still not looking at him.
 
"Look at me." he said, gently but firmly. His words hypnotising. I had no choice but to look up. "whatever that a**hole said. forget it. Did u scald urself?" he asked. I nodded... 
 
"clean urself up first and change into dry clothes....and then you can start worrying about my order..." he said slowly. every word imprinting itself into my brain.
 
I nodded and hastily walked away carrying the broken pieces of mugs on the tray.
 
 
My heart was racing. 
 
 
***
 
(fast forward: Changes clothes, washed hands will cold water, mopped floor of spilt coffee)
 
***
 
"Sorry to keep you waiting," I said. 
 
"It's ok" he replied, "Are you ok? no scalds?" 
 
"Yup. no major scalds... Latte for you?" I replied.
 
"Yes please," he answered. Smiling that heart melting smile again, his dimples clearly showing.
 
I grounded the coffee beans onto the portafilter and proceeded to pull the espresso shots. As I was steaming the milk, I saw Mithra leaning onto the counter, watching every move I made. I wanted to start a conversation. Should I, or should I not?