Finding the voice.

Coffee.
What was she supposed to say? She wondered. Standing right before her was the man of her dreams. Yet she can't bring herself to say not even a word. And to top it all off, she got mad at him for a seemingly vague reason. He must've been taken aback. Part of her wished he would disappear.

"Errrm.... I'm sorry, " she said.

"Mwo? " asked Mithra.

"For snapping at you that night. " she replied.

"Dewi, you're Dewi right? " Mithra asked.

"I think u got the wrong person. My name is Chae Eun. " she said, fumbling on her words. She's only used that name once.... It's her pet name given by her dad when she was growing up.

"Talent competition. 12 yrs ago. I heard u. I can never forget that voice." Mithra replied.

"But i never sang. I never gotten the chance, " she said, mumbling the latter part of the sentence.

"So u were there! U sang! At the stairwell before the show! " Mithra exclaimed. He was getting excited knowing that she really was there, and he wasn't tripping.

Mithra looked at her. She was looking down, flicking the ash from the cigarette, and inhaling again, eyes staring into space. Mithra noticed that even though she's still chubby, she has lost alot of weight since 12 yrs ago. She looked sad as though he had reminded her of a time she wanted to forget.

Mithra inhaled his cigarette and asked again, "why did u get angry that day?"

without looking, she answered softly, barely enough to be heard, " because i thought u were mocking me, like how they did 12 years ago."

"I wasn't. Ur voice IS beautiful " Mithra answered.

"I was afraid." She said, softer than before.

Mithra understood now. She was afraid of being mocked. She was afraid of being laughed at. Her self esteem was lower than he could ever imagined. Part of him felt angry at all those who made her afraid to sing.

She closed her eyes, and. A glimmer of tear fell onto her cheeks.

"Sing for me. " he said.

She was surprised, and didn't want to open her eyes coz more tears threatened to fall. She shook her head.

She felt a thumb rubbing her cheek, wiping away her tear that went astray. She felt two hands on her shoulder, and a voice that said, "don't be afraid anymore. No one can hurt u unless u let them. Oppa will shout 'hwaiting!' again, and be here if u let me. Let's find your voice again."

She can't fight her tears. He pulled her in an embrace. She wants to believe everything is not a dream. She wants to believe everything he says. She's just afraid everything is too good to be true.

In mithra's arms she cried. She cried tears that no one saw. Tears of passion and regret, of hope and of sorrow.