Chapter 8

One Rainy Day

This and the following chapter will be written in Key's POV. These two chapters were the original story, Amnesia, but I decided to write them into this story as well.

There are some changes and differences compared to the two-shot version and I'd recommend you to read it again, even if you already have. I think that way you would get the whole picture a bit better and maybe notice some things you didn't notice before :)

 

 

Key's POV

I opened my eyes. There was this scent hanging in the air, some kind of cologne. I had never smelled it before. I adverted my gaze from the ceiling. The room was strange, unfamiliar. My heart was beginning to beat rapidly against my chest. There was nothing familiar, I had no idea where I was.

Wait, did I even have clothes? Feverishly I threw my blanket aside. I was wearing pajama bottoms and some worn-out shirt I had never seen in my life. What the had happened?

Just as I was trying to take deep breaths, I noticed something that made me jump from my spot on the bed. Or more like someone. There was some ing guy in my bed. Not in my bed, I was probably in his bed...
There was some dude, who I had never even seen in my life, in bed with me. , , . This isn't happening. What the did I do last night?

I grabbed my head only to whimper in surprise when I found silky hair. I rushed to the only door in the room, trying to be as quick and soundless as possible, and stepped to the hallway, opening the door to the bathroom.

I stepped inside but stilled for a moment. Opening my eyes again I tryed to control my rapid heart and uneven breathing. I slowly stepped before the mirror and the sight that welcomed me emitted a quiet cry of horror.

In the mirror there wasn't the 17-year old with half shaved off hair, but older me with curly dark brown hair. Not believing the horrible change, I brought my fingertips to my face, trailing the skin, noting the first beginnings of wrinkles around my eyes.

Only when I had suppressed the tears of shock filling my eyes, I noticed the photographs stuck to the reflection. With shaking hands I reached for the first to catch my eye.

There was me like I remembered myself, although I didn't remember the picture being taken. I was eating ice cream. I hated ice cream.

The next one had me in the same clothes, but with that guy, that I just woke up next to. We were sitting on a park bench and he was holding the camera as far as possible, to fit us both into the picture. There were smiles on our faces.

I took the next picture into my hands. I had different hairstyle. It was otherwise normal if not for the diagonally cut fringe. I was showing my middle finger, but the carefree smile on my face was something I didn't remember ever having.

With numbness I reached for the last picture. The picture was taken by third person and there were again me and that guy, on a busy street, hands around our middles, dorky smiles on our faces.

I stared at the photograph, then at the mirror, head spinning and nothing making sense. Whoever that guy was, I wasn't gay. I placed the photographs neatly on the sink, turning my back to the reflection and stepping back to the hallway. I just had to get the hell out of here.

I went back to the bedroom, silently looking for clothes. Actually any clothes would do at the moment.

“Oh, you're awake,” the voice startled me, making me whirl around. The guy was still laying in bed, but his eyes were wide open. I stared at him, unsure about my next move. He wasn't ugly, actually he was pretty attractive. Funny, he kind of looked like a dinosaur.

“I know you're confused, if you wait a minute, I'll explain it all to you, Kibummie.”

My eyes widened at the pet-name. This much I'm sure, that no one, and I mean no one, called me that. My name was Key. All my friends knew I was Key. There had been only one person in the world who I had told my real name, ever. My name was the only assurance I had.

Smiling, he got out of bed. I turned away when I noticed his uncovered chest, his muscles and abs well defined. He chuckled lightly and I pretended to inspect my surroundings, walking to the desk and looking at the papers full of awful handwriting. They were for school I realized.

When I turned around, to ask the guy about it, I caught him staring at me with a sad smile. Then he shook his head and signed me to follow him.

We went to a kitchen. My eyes fell on the clock, that said it was little bit past nine. The guy the coffee machine and I sat at the table, silently watching him. He gathered things from the refrigerator and then started to make sandwiches, quietly humming to himself. I just watched him, not really knowing what to say. Just when I realized that I don't even know his name, he opened his mouth.

“My name is Jonghyun,” he said, bringing his gaze at me and smiling. He was cute, I'll give him that. He looked like a weird mix of cute puppy and dinosaur.

“I'm 24 and you are 23. I'll explain in a sec.” he finished the sandwiches, pushed the plate between us and signed me to take one. When I did, he placed two cups of coffee on the table and sat down.

“Okay. I know you don't know what is happening to you but I need you to trust me with what I'm about to tell you,” he said while sipping his coffee and taking a sandwich. For some reason he felt trustworthy. The least I could do was to hear him out. I'd decide if I believe him then.

“You have amnesia. You can remember things for only one day. When you fall asleep, you will forget it all. You usually don't remember much after your 17th year. I know you don't recognize me. And I know it's not your fault,” with his last words I could see how hard he tried to hold his smile in place.

It surprised me a little how he got straight to the point. He must've been used to explaining these things to me, he knew I hated beating around the bush. Amnesia. It actually would explain it all. Why I didn't look like 17 year old, why I wasn't at home, why I had been in the same bed with him. Well, not exactly that.

“I'm not gay.” It slipped out without thinking. When I noticed his change in expression, however, I regretted it immediately. It seemed like his heart had broken little bit more. But he was fast to cover it.

“I know it's hard to accept, but... we truly loved each other. I still love you. I will love you, always. Don't worry, I don't expect you to love me back. I understand that you practically met me just today. But... we were happy. Please, don't question it.”

His words were sincere, I could tell. I felt sad for him suddenly. If I really had amnesia like he said (and I had no reason to believe nor disbelieve him) he must've had a ruff life. To love somebody who will never love you back, who doesn't even recognize you anymore, who doesn't have a future. To love somebody like me.

“I don't have much time. I have to go to my classes,” he said while placing his cup into the sink. “Come with me.”

He showed me around the apartment and then he headed to the front door, pulling on his jacket and boots.

“I will be back at around 3. Then we can go eat lunch together. If you get hungry, there's food in the kitchen. Just look into the cabinets or fridge. You can go for a walk if you'd like, but please be back at 3. Otherwise I'd have to call the police again.” He said it with light tone and smile, but for some reason I got a feeling that he wasn't joking.

He took the bag I hadn't noticed before and waved at me, his smile making me feel little bit better. However, as soon as the door closed behind him, the feeling disappeared and anxiety took over.

I walked from one room to another, eying everything, trying to find anything familiar. If I remembered at least something... But I didn't. I remembered nothing.

Depression came over me as I looked through room after room. I took things in my hands, I felt them, eyes closed and trying so hard. Nothing. I had absolutely nothing.

I willed the tears to subside. Crying wouldn't change anything. I probably did it every day. I probably walked around this same place, doing the same things, crying over my own misfortune. Pathetic. I was absolutely pathetic.

Why did I even live? This was not a life. It was a nightmare. Whatever I did, whatever I felt it would be gone tomorrow. I would wake up and remember nothing.

Would I freak out, finding him in my bed, again? Would I cry over my lost years again? Would I listen him voicing the same words, hear out the same confessions? Was every day in my life exactly the same? Copy of the last? For years and years? How long? How long more would I live like this? Live without past nor future.

I was already dead. I was a nobody. I was just something broken, repeating the same from day to day. No truth, no lies, just repeating.

I took a look at the clock, only then noticing all the time that had passed by. But what would be one more lost hour in the midst of years of blankness? I had nothing to do and all the time in the world to kill. I had plenty of time until the guy – Jonghyun, I corrected myself – came back.

And I didn't say home. Because it wasn't my home. It wasn't familiar, I didn't feel secure. It was foreign and unknown. And Jonghyun was just a guy. He couldn't be anything more. Maybe before, but not anymore anyway.

This was and would forever be my life, living with nothing ever becoming mine. Nobody ever becoming mine.

I went to the bedroom and rummaged through the closet, picking out some jeans, a shirt and a heavy woolen sweater. I put them on and looked myself in the mirror. Even if I wasn't 17 anymore, it didn't mean I couldn't look stylish. I combed my hair with my fingers and when I was satisfied, I headed to the front door.

I found numerous boots and picked up the first pair that caught my eye. I found a smile on my face when I noticed the shiny leather fit me perfectly. I tied them and looked around, thinking if I had forgot anything. The irony.

I pulled out the keys that were in the lock and opened the door, welcoming the smelly corridor. I locked the door and shoved the keys into my pocket, taking a look at the door to be sure to remember it.

I got down the stairs, counting the floors until I finally got to the bottom. I stepped outside to the cold air and looked around, taking in all the colors of autumn.

Letting out a small sigh, I begun walking. It wasn't too warm and I almost regretted not putting more clothes on. I slipped my hands into the pockets and to my surprise I pulled out money. There wasn't much, but enough for a coffee and a cake.

I wondered if all the pockets held the same amount of money. If Jonghyun searched the clothes every night, putting money back where I had used it. Because he didn't tell me where he kept the money.

It was smart, actually. If I had known I could have run away. Maybe I had. Maybe that's why he had decided to do this. But I couldn't ever know. And I wasn't going to ask him.

I found myself looking at signs. I really would've liked to go to a café. Have a warm cup of coffee and of course at least one slice of cake.

I was sure Jonghyun must've known how I loved cake. The cake had a deeper meaning to me, I'm sure that's why he left me the money. It reminded me my childhood friend. He was crazy for sweets and especially for cake. Whenever he felt down we went to a café and had cake. He would take two or three, one time even four slices, depending on the severity of his sadness.

Good things never last long enough. Life is cruel and one day without warning I had to say goodbye to him. But I would never forget him. My Taemin. My Taeminnie.

I ended up picking out two cakes – one for me and the other for Taeminnie. I sat at the table by the window and ate both slices, one after another. When I was ready to leave, I looked around and found a clock that said I had still more then two hours to get back.

I left the café and walked farther down the street. Soon I noticed a park and in no time I found myself surrounded by blur of colors.

I had always liked autumn. It was colorful yet cold and dark. It was full of contradictions and unknown. It wasn't one yet not another. There was not a thing it didn't possess. It was something between, that held everything and all.

I made my way back to the apartment. I unlocked the door and took off the boots.

I headed to the living room, flinging myself onto the couch. I felt worn out, I just wanted to sleep. So I closed my eyes.

 

 

The next chapter will also be in Key's POV. So please anticipate it~

Comments are love ^^