Final

One Rainy Day

That's it! This is the last chapter. A lot happens and it might be a little rushed but I hope you will enjoy it :)

 

 

 

Jonghyun's POV

 

It was the first clearly sunny day that spring when I learned the existence of Choi Minho. I was waiting for my next class to start when I heard my phone ring. At that moment I didn't quite understand the importance of that particular call yet.

 

Hello, this is Dr Choi Minho. I know it comes as a surprise, but would it be possible to arrange a meeting in the nearest future?”

 

I frowned and didn't quite know how to respond to that. Hell, I didn't have even a slightest idea what he wanted.

 

It's about Kim Kibum.” My breath hitched and before I could think it through, I had agreed already.

 

How does this afternoon at two o'clock sound? I'll explain everything then.”

 

I listened to him dumbfounded, agreeing to everything and scribbling down the address of the café we would meet. I ended the call and continued to stare at the address, the man's deep voice still lingering in my mind.

 

Yes, I didn't quite understand the importance of this particular call yet. But I realized soon enough.

 

***

The rather young man sitting opposite of me was sipping his coffee and probably thinking of a way to start his story. His big eyes were on me and his enormous fingers were wrapped around the cup, his index finger tapping against it slowly.

 

Suddenly he stopped, placed the cup on the table and leaned closer, resting his suit-clad elbows on the table.

 

I think I owe you a proper explanation. My name is Choi Minho, I work at the therapy center where Kim Kibum had his treatment. I got there less than a year ago, though, so I never had any connection with him whatsoever.”

 

I nodded silently and wondered how he found me. More importantly, what was his reason for contacting me.

 

As I just graduated, my first assignments were to go through archive, help some doctors, get more experiences, learn. While going through some old cases, I found yours. I really found it fascinating and searched more into it. I can't say that I'm very experienced or anything, but I do have some theories. I think I might be able to help you.”

 

I watched the handsome man sitting opposite of me in bewilderment. There he was, young and green, looking at me in hope that I will hear him out. I didn't really understand it all, but somehow I felt that I trusted him more than any skilled doctor I had consulted before. So I said yes.

 

***

I stepped into the café, Kibummie close behind me. And I made damn sure that he was close – I couldn't afford 'losing' him again. I looked around and noticed Dr Choi already sitting at a table at the back.

 

As we sat down, I watched Kibummie closely. He seemed anxious, looking the stranger up and down.

 

Hello, my name is Dr Choi Minho,” he said with a slight bow of his head and we bowed back quickly.

 

I'm aware of the fact that I'm not very experienced. But still I have some theories that may help your situation.”

 

Kibummie frowned and turned to look at me, “Is it possible?”

 

If we don't try, we'll never know,” Dr Choi answered with a little smile. At that moment I remembered the reason I had taken liking in him from the beginning. He looked just so safe, reliable, trustworthy.

 

This would be your journal,” he said, taking out a nice diary with blue and silver hard covers. Kibummie reached out and examined it, his face still surprisingly motionless.

 

I think it would be really good for you to write things up. Whatever you want, how much you want. The idea is that then you can read your notes, think through the things you did, imagine, just give your brain some training. That way there's a bigger possibility to maybe even remember something real sometimes. But you mustn't hurry or wish for too much.”

 

I took a glance at Kibummie. Is it really possible for him to get over it all? Is it possible for him to regain his memory? Without my control I felt my hopes rising. And I knew. I knew the fall would be even harder. I just couldn't help myself.

 

***

I looked at the clock, fidgeting in my seat. I really wanted to go home already, but the class seemed to draw on endlessly. I had promised to take Kibummie to the movies and then out for dinner and now I couldn't sit still.

 

He had been writing into his diary over a week now. We had this arrangement that Dr Choi would call Kibummie every day when I was at my classes and let him learn the existence of his journal. He would explain and that way I wasn't part of Kibummie's writing – only that way he could feel secure to write everything and anything.

 

Of course I was curious about what he wrote about me, but I knew that the knowledge could be a two-edged sword. As well as it could make me the happiest, it could also destroy me. And I figured it was better not to know. He told me all I had to know and it had to be enough.

 

In this little time he had sometimes remembered little facts like that he had a new haircut or he didn't live with his dad. But he hadn't recognized me even once. I would lie if I said that it didn't bother me. It hurt like hell. But he was getting better, I had to stay strong.

 

I glanced at the clock. It seemed it hadn't moved an inch.

 

***

We were walking down a street, the setting sun coloring the whole sky. It was a beautiful night, really – it was warm and you could sense the soon coming summer. We had decided to take a walk, it was just such a perfect time.

 

I took a look at the smile on Kibummie's lips and went over my idea one more time. I tried to convince myself that I wouldn't be upset if it didn't help and it wasn't really that important. But who was I kidding? I thought I'd seriously die of desperation if it didn't have any effect.

 

We got closer to the place and I grew more nervous with every step. Finally I saw the sign and turned to Kibummie.

 

I'm a bit tired, why won't we step into this café for a while? I could use some delicious coffee.” He nodded and we made our way to the door.

 

I hold the door open for him, watching him closely as he stepped into the café. And my breath hitched when he looked around and stilled, his eyes suddenly distant. After a moment, he turned to me, face full of emotions.

 

I worked here! I.. I just remembered I worked here. And Jinki and... Jinki?” He turned abruptly, hurrying to the counter.

 

Jinki?” His voice was hoarse and chocked. The guy behind the counter faced him quickly, managing to knock over a bowl of sugar and looking like he saw a ghost.

 

Kibummie burst out chuckling, throwing his hands around his neck and pulling him into a hug.

 

It's really you! I.. I didn't even..” Tears ran down Kibummie's cheeks as he pulled back. I slowly walked to them, keeping my distance and trying my best not to intrude, not to ruin the moment. I knew it wouldn't be a good idea, no matter how bad I wanted to hug him tight and never let go.

 

Kibummie had remembered something. Someone real. He was getting better.

 

I felt like the smile was glued to my face.

 

 

 

 

 

We aren't who we were. We aren't who we will be. We are something in between, that holds everything and all.

We are nothing without past. Without past there isn't future. Without future nor past there isn't present.

Love is unconditional. Without love, there isn't happiness. Without happiness nor love there is no life.

Dreams are never achievable. If they are, they shouldn't be dreams. They should be reality.

There is no reality. Reality is what we make it.

Life is illusion.

Life is quite useless.

 

 

 

 

 

I felt the sleep leaving me little by little but I refused to open my eyes. It was yet another day, still way too early.

 

I knew exactly what to expect. No surprises, just the same old routine. I let out a soft sigh and did my best to stay positive. In all honesty, I was used to this already, I needed to be. All I had to do was to assure myself that everything was fine and imagine the bad thoughts flying away like black birds, leaving me white as a pure sheet of paper. Easy as that...

 

Jjongie?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thank you so much for reading! :) It would mean a lot if you'd take time to leave a comment (I'd really like to know if you liked the ending or not)

p.s. Can you quess where I got the idea for the little passage before the end? Key: it's inspiration was a preface from an infamous book (the original is much longer and better). If you know the answer then I'll love you forever :D

But I hope you liked the story~