Chapter 1

One Rainy Day

I just wanted to thank everyone who has subscribed already, you make me so happy! Constructive criticism and comments are always appreciated~

 

 

 

One Rainy Day

 

It was a rainy day when I first met Key. In a good old coffee shop - as cliché as it was. To add all the irony, I didn't even like coffee.

 

It was raining again and I didn't have an umbrella, again. So I just stepped into a random coffee shop to avoid the heavy downpour. The room was little but not really cozy. It was just... small. There were some people sitting at the tables but not many.

 

“And what could I get you?” An annoyed and snappy voice startled me, making me whirl around. Behind the counter stood one unique looking boy.

 

His features were bored and his appearance was little bit more than unusual. His face was almost feminine, jaw pointy, lips pouty and heart-shaped, his nose way too cute but his gaze was sharp. My eyebrow rose when I noticed dark eyeliner his eyes, making them even more expressive.

 

And of course the hair. He was half bald. Like, literally bald. Right side of his head was shaved and his dark brown hair was tugged to the other side in maybe even quite fashionable hair-do. He sure looked unique.

 

And hell of impatient.

 

He huffed and drummed his nails on the counter. I noticed they were dark blue. Like seriously. Blue?

 

“Surprise me.” I found myself smiling. Somehow I found him enticing - he was just so... unusual and different. Was he even for real? Even looking at him, it didn't seem too likely.

 

His motions stopped as he looked me for a moment with a raised eyebrow. My smile only widened and in return to that, he huffed again before making his way to the coffee machine. He pushed seemly indistinguishable buttons with such speed and annoyance that I felt a little smile tugging my lips, unable to turn away my gaze. Instead, I hopped onto the high stool by the counter.

 

He sure was something different.

 

I didn't have to wait long before he placed a big cup in front of me. I looked at it for a moment, suddenly thinking why I even ordered it when I didn't like coffee. I guess sometimes I didn't really think things through and just generally acted kind of stupid...

 

“You gonna try it?” His voice was monotonic but when I looked up, his face betrayed a little anticipation. I guess he wanted to see if I liked it. Or he was just annoyed and wanted to go mind his own business, I wasn't really sure.

 

I lifted the cup to my lips and took cautious sip. It tasted simply stunning, I had never ever tasted anything that good. Maybe only my mother's chocolate cake. But that was pretty much incomparable to anything else, anyway.

 

I lifted my surprised eyes and for a moment I almost thought I saw a little smile on his lips. But it disappeared so quickly that I thought I must've only imagined it.

 

“It's amazing. Is there a name for it?”

 

“What's your name?” The cheeky barista asked me, leaving me baffled.

 

“Jonghyun,” I answered, curious of his intentions.

 

“Then it's name is Jjongie.” His answer left me wordless. However it seemed my silence only made him smirk. That guy. He really was... something totally different.

 

I sipped the precious drink and eyed the boy, my curiosity on the peak. As soon as he had made sure there were no more potential customers, he had pulled out his phone and was now texting someone animatedly.

 

His eyes lighted up ever so often and his lips sometimes curved into a smile. I found myself unable to tear my gaze away. He probably noticed my pretty intense staring but didn't even try to let me know about it.

 

And to be honest, he was a pretty thing to look at, no matter if frowning or smiling. His face was so unique and beautiful that I found myself totally unable to think of anything else at that moment.

 

I felt like I was on a verge of becoming an addict. And maybe not only of the amazing drink that the cheeky barista had made for me.

 

***

It took two more visits to the coffee shop to get his name.

 

“You can call me Key,” he had answered. From that minute on I found myself doodling way more keys than anything else.

 

There was not a chance that I didn't found myself in the small coffee shop at least twice a week, it was becoming part of my schedule and I wouldn't give it up to anything.

 

First times Key had been even more moody when seeing me. But the more I went there, the more tolerant he got. I still didn't really get him but I think that it wasn't really important anyway.

 

“You. Again.” His voice was monotonic but a slight smile playing around the corners of his mouth let me guess I wasn't that unwanted after all. In response I just smiled and he went to get my special without any more words.

 

Every time I went there, he just made the same drink he had made the first time. To my surprise and unimaginable relief he remembered it perfectly. If he had forgotten, I would've never got the delicious coffee ever again. And that was horrible to even think about.

 

***

“Don't you have school or something?”

 

It was my fifth time at the coffee shop. But this time it seemed his mobile battery had died. And I totally deny anyone who says that my surprisingly good mood had anything do with that fact.

 

Key raised his gaze and for what seemed like first time that day, his eyes found mines. His gaze was positively piercing. I guess he wasn't really friendly type to make small talk. What a surprise.

 

Well, what a shame.

 

“You ever seen me here before four?” As he answered to me with a slight smirk, I realized that he had point. I had never even thought about it. Suddenly I felt really stupid.

 

“Well, you aren't in college yet, are you? What do you want to study in the future?” I egged on. Maybe he was just really cold to all the unfamiliar people. Maybe he would open up a little if I tried? Well, the least I could do was to try.

 

“Next year I'll try in textiles, clothing and design.” His answer was short and there was a light smirk on his lips, declaring that he thought the situation was pretty ridiculous.

 

I let out a soft sight. He was making it really hard for me.

 

“Sounds interesting. I'm contemporary writing and production major.”

 

After saying this I sensed a change in his attitude. Was he actually impressed? Wow, that was pretty easy.

 

“If you'd like, I could bring my guitar next time.” I smiled at him widely and at last I could see him warming up.

 

“If you think you should. As long as you order, it's fine by me.” Or not. After his cheeky reply, he just his heel and went to service the customer that had just stepped inside.

 

But somehow I couldn't stop myself from smiling. He was something different. And I was confident to figure him out.

 

***

As I always keep my word or at least when I remember my promise, then the sixth time stepping into the coffee shop, I carried a guitar case with me. Key didn't seem very surprised to see it. However, I didn't really recall ever seeing him surprised, anyway.

 

I sat on my usual spot by the counter and took out the guitar, tuning it before bringing my eyes to meet Key's. I found him watching me, my drink ready in his hands. I smiled at him, but he stayed emotionless, just placing the cup in front of me. However, I felt relieved when he made no move to pull out his phone again.

 

“Any special wishes?” I asked, eager to show my skills.

 

“Anything that won't hurt my ears.” As I was already used to his cheeky comments, I didn't even think of taking his words seriously.

 

A smile formed on my lips as I moved my fingers over the strings, sweet sounds soon filling the little coffee shop. Couple of people who were sitting at the tables, had stopped talking and were now listening in silence.

 

I really loved to play my music. Even if it was only in front of these few people, I felt suddenly stronger than I had remembered ever feeling. It was my chance to make them happy, to give them something. I felt powerful.

 

I hummed the melody and way too soon the song came to an end. The silence made me look up. The people were turning back around, resuming to their business. I turned my gaze to Key. And was I hallucinating?

 

I certainly must've been hallucinating because hell it definitely was a smile on his lips. Like, just a little smile. But still, a smile, because of me. And my heart decided to start beating like a lunatic.

 

“I bet you can't sing as well.” Even though his words were challenging, I could sense that he was impressed. Maybe he really wasn't so unaffected as he seemed.

 

“As you wish. I wrote it by myself. It's called Honesty.”

 

I played the introduction and started singing. I remembered the words perfectly, after all I had written them myself, not too much time ago. That song had always been one of my favorites. It was sweet and gentle and had a nice feeling to it. I just hoped Key felt it too.

 

When the song ended I didn't move instantly, I stayed in my position for a second, delaying the moment of seeing Key's reaction. Only when I had ended the song, did I get second thoughts. Maybe he didn't even like it? Maybe it had been boring? Every thought that flew through my head made me more nervous.

 

I gathered my courage and lifted my gaze to meet Key's and for the first time I saw his emotions visible on his face. His lips were curved into heartfelt smile, his eyes warm and... was it possible? ...watery?

 

“It was beautiful.” His voice was quiet and suddenly he seemed like a totally different person. Right on that moment the realization hit me, my breath hitching in my throat. I had most definitely fallen deeply and irreversibly in love with him.