Chapter 1: A Lonely Birthday

Behind That Smile

(A/N: your name is Park Jooyin. And italics are the flashbacks or the past or memories. Normal is present. )

Kris sat on the chair. His gaze was devoid of any expression. He stared at the some part of the wall. His mind travelling back….back…back to the past when you were still with him but he was not with you……that time when you two talked for the first time….

You were walking along the school hallway and bumped into someone. You looked up and immediately looked away. It was him. The guy who was always watching you and who you were always watching. You muttered a sorry and made your escape but he stopped you by grabbing your wrist. You gasped and turned around to face him. You really didn’t want to talk to anyone because today your parents had abandoned you and left you with your not so loving aunt. You immediately put on a smile and looked at him.

He staggered back. You frowned. Did I do something wrong? You thought, watching as he regained his posture and looked at you. “I’m Kris. No need to tell me, I already know your name. One question though: Why the sad smile?” he looked at you and you darted your eyes away. He put his finger under your chin and forced you to look at him. “You know, Jooyin, you could ditch school with me. Sometimes, having someone with you is alright.” He gave you a small smile. You looked at him surprised but nodded.

After a day of most fun you have had, he walked you home. That was the day when you first smiled because of happiness not sadness…..

He looked at you but didn’t really see you. His eyes were clouded. Fragments of the past kept asking for his attention. He gave in and remembered, saw what happened. He realised something he hadn’t before……

You sighed. You and Kris had been dating for one and a half year, now. You honestly, didn’t know what he saw in you. You both met two years ago when he had asked you to ditch school with him. You smiled at the memory. In six months, you were really close and he had asked you out. You grew even close when your aunt died, leaving you to live alone. You honestly had no one. No friends, no family. No one. But Kris. You loved him to bits. Your eyes turned sad when you started to think about the present.

He would mess up. And mess up and mess up….you smiled and him and forgave him. You really didn’t know how much longer you could hold. You sighed and heaved your bag on your shoulders and walked to school. This was your last school year. It was your birthday today. Your eighteenth birthday to be exact. You knew better than to expect anything from anyone. Even Kris…you knew what was going to happen, so you didn’t bother.

You sat on your table next to the window. Suddenly there was a girl there. “Park Jooyin.” You prepared yourself for bullying. But nothing came flying at you. You composed your face with a smile and looked up at a beautiful model looking girl. Your face must have shown confusion as she smirked at you. “Tell your boyfriend that I had fun last night.” You faltered for a second before smiling sadly at her. This was not the first time Kris had done something like this. Spend a night with another girl.

You didn’t even bother denying it. Suddenly you heard a familiar voice say “Hey Joo!” you looked up to see Kris’ eyes widening at the sight of you and the girl together. He quickly walked over to your table and stared at the girl. “What are you doing here?” he asked the girl. “Nothing. Just telling your girlfriend what a forgiving she is. Honestly, you could get away with anything if you are dating her can’t you?” she asked him curiously. “Shut up!” he said. He looked at you. “I’m sorry, Joo. I drank too much-” you smiled up at him. “It’s alright.” he smiled back and hugged you. But you couldn’t be fooled easily. The window was next to you, so, you could see what he was doing while he was hugging you. It broke your heart but you said nothing.

Because he was hugging you, he thought you couldn’t see what he was doing but he didn’t know how wrong he was. He pointed at the girl and pointed at himself. Then he pointed downwards indicating that he wanted to meet up with the girl tonight. He released you from the hug and waved at you before walking out of your class. You stared at nothing and sat down. The girl laughed at you knowing fully that you had seen what happened. You couldn’t take it anymore. You picked up your bag and left school. You took off your shoes and entered your house. You locked the door and lay down on the couch. You were too tired to care about anything. You immediately fell asleep.   

You woke up. You looked at the clock in your house that suggested that it was 10 pm at night. You had slept the whole day away. Is that even possible? Many people celebrate their birthdays with their friends, their families but you had none. You got up and decided to make a cake for yourself.

It took you one and a half hour to make the perfect birthday cake. You put it on the table and put two candles on it. One for Kris, the other for yourself. You lit them both. Without wishing for anything, you blew out the candle that was for Kris. You knew he wasn’t coming. Instead of celebrating your birthday with you, he had made plans with the other girl. You stopped expecting things from him ages ago. He didn’t even wish you happy birthday. But then again, he has been forgetting your birthday for last two years. It was Deja-vu. Last year as well, you were sitting alone, staring at the one lit and one unlit candle. Waiting for him to show up. He never did.

The clock chimed. It was twelve at midnight. You took a breath and blew the other candle out. But this time it wasn’t only the candle that you were blowing out, it was your hopes, you wishes you were blowing out. You sat in darkness letting tears fall. Tears of frustration. Tears of emptiness. Tears of grief. He never came. NO ONE ever came because the truth is no one cares. You fell asleep regretting that you were ever born.      

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

     Author's Note:

Hey guys! Let me warn you this is going to be a sad sad story. well, not THAT sad but yeah. so how was the first chapter? I know should have added more content. I know I potrayed Kris as a jerk but you guys....this is how my story goes. Well, don't forget to comment and subscribe! And don't mind any spelling or grammatical mistakes and if you see any can you please point out? Thanx! oh and I want to thank the people who commented and subscribed! Enjoy!