One Bright Day

Oneshot Collection

 

 

Your smile was so mesmerizing that I keep on wanting to be with you....

 

 

The sky is so bright today, I thought to myself as I walked away from school. 

 

"JESSIIIIIEEEEE!!!!!" 

 

I was shocked when I found myself lifted from the ground and spun around.

 

"Put me down, Fany-ah."

"Fine," she pouted. Ah so cute...

 

It became a habit between the two of us to share a twirling hug everytime we see each other. As usual, we talked about what happened during the day. We had been childhood friends for as long as I could remember. We are also neighbors so we go to and from school together everyday.

 

As soon as we sat on the waiting area for the bus stop, I leaned on her and sighed.

 

"What's the matter Jessie?" I looked at her and worry was evident in her eyes.

 

"I'm just tired, Tiff. We ran around the school courtyard in such a hot day. You know how much I hate running, right?"

 

"Yeah! I even remembered the time when we were late and yet you didn’t hurry up. You even said that one of your mottos is never run no matter how late you are. Hahahaha!" Her eyes forming those crescent shapes that I love so much.

 

"Oh! The bus is here. Let's go! I'll pay for the bus fare" Tiffany said as she dragged me along.

 

I leaned on her shoulders again when we sat down on the bus. I smelled her strawberry perfume that I gave her on her birthday. How I loved that smell. I slept during the trip, resting my body against hers.

 

"We're here. Time to wake up!" Tiffany patted on my cheeks.

 

We walked to our houses, our hands holding.

 

 

"Hey Jessie?" 

 

"Hmmm..."

 

"You know we were supposed to go noraebang this Saturday, right?"

 

"Yes. Why are you asking?"  Something's wrong. I can feel it...

 

"Could we move it to another day? I'm sorry but I forgot to tell you that I promised a date with my girlfriend." Tiffany asked guiltily.

 

"What?! You have a girlfriend?"

 

 

I know I’m not allowed...

 

 

"Mmm... I started dating her last week. You know her. Kim Taeyeon from the neighborhood. You know, we ate lunch with her a couple of times."

 

"Ah, I see."

 

 

My heart beats for you...

 

 

"and so... let's go to the noraebang next time. I’m so very sorry, Jessie."

 

 

I don't care if you never know what I truly feel about you. I'm fine with forever concealing the truth in the disguise of friendship. And I’m fine with seeing your smile all day long, every day...

 

 

"It’s all cool. We can go there any day anyways, so enjoy your date with her." My heart... it hurts.

 

"Then see you later" Tiffany waved goodbye and proceeded to her house. 

 

 

so please smile like you always do. I will start forgetting, bit by bit...

 

 

I went inside my house and closed the door. I slumped at the door, all of my energy drained away from my entire body.

 

"Huh?... Why are tears falling out? ... are my eyes crazy? Must be the heat. hahaha..."

 

 

...so that my heart no longer throbs for you. the fact that I loved you,...

 

 

"Ugghhh... it's too bright today..."

 

 

...shall remain obscure, for as long as I live.