Why me

Black Heart

Yoona stood alone, staring down at her tangled fingers. Even though, she was alone, she was surrounded by girls her age. The giggles and the whispers, she heard them all. The most interesting thing was the gossip. Nobody can go to a ball without it.


Whispers, giggles, whispers, gasps, more whispers...


Then the voices dropped very low when they talked about the son of Mr. Horvejkul. “I heard he's searching for a wife!” Most of them blushed and others were in deep thoughts—more like they're dreaming.


She looked up from her tangled fingers once she realized the voices stopped. A young man dressed in a black tuxedo with a red bow tie made his way to her. His features were soft and warm. His eyes were shiny and gentle. They got bigger and rounder as he came closer to her.


Yoona stopped studying him when she heard his quiet cough, enough for her to snap back to reality. “May I have this dance?” He asked again.


She wasn't aware he was this close to her already and was tongue-tied. Before she could reject him, he gently entwined his fingers with hers and pulled her to the dance floor. Her sight was on him the whole time but she could feel the girls eyeing angrily and jealously at her. As they reached to the dance floor where many other couples were dancing happily, he grabbed her other hand and put it on his shoulder and gave her a satisfied smile.


Why me?


“Are you enjoying the ball... or do you enjoy staring at me more?” He asked with the same smile.


Yoona quickly looked at another direction and was hoping to come up with something fast. Then another strange thought appeared, why was everyone glimpsing at them and whispering? Then she saw her mother's proud face and even when her father was busy talking to his friends, she could see him giving her gleeful glances.


It wasn't her dress they're looking at, for sure it wasn't her... it must be him then.


He must be...


She looked back at him alarming and spoke without realizing, “You... must be the son of Mr. Horvejkul.” Totally ignoring his teasing question.


He just nodded and replied, “My name is Nichkhun.” He looked over Yoona's shoulder and saw his mother amused face. Behind her, he could see three young women looking displeased and annoyed. He knew his mother was satisfied and pray that his mother will leave him alone... for the whole night.


Yoona saw his chuckle and turned around. She saw exactly what he saw, except the women are now giving her death glares. Then she saw an elder woman in a graceful dress gesturing them to continue to dance. Of course, Nichkhun obeyed and nudged Yoona to carry forward.


Everything is starting to make senses now. All she needed is to confirm one thing. She asked, “Your mother?”


Nichkhun felt intension in her voice and uncertain if he should answer. He thought it was a bit strange how Yoona doesn't recognize his mother. He was quite sure that whoever was attending this ball would know who his mother is.

 

Before all this happened, he had planned to find a woman to temporary please his mother. So he doesn't end up meeting and dancing to every girl his mother introduced. He watched and watched until he noticed her. There was a lot of beautiful women he could've chose but Yoona stood out.


“Yes.” Something must clogged his throat because he could barely answer her. Is he feeling awful for using her? Yoona find this dance more awkward than ever and difficult to continue. Nichkhun felt the same. The women usually did all the talking and he would be answering their endless questions.


He cleared his throat and broke the silence between them, “So, what's your name?”


“Im Yoona,” she replied and decided to cooperate in making conversations. “Mrs. Horvejkul did a wonderful job. Everyone is having a grand time this evening.”


“Well... Yoona, my mother will be very happy to hear that. She enjoys planning events and loves to see people smiling.” he said.


As Yoona was thinking what to say next, she was saved when the music ended. She quickly untangled her hands from him and applauded. Before he could do anything, Yoona bowed slightly and excused herself.


She didn't know where she was going but she knew she had to get away from the dance floor.


From him.


She found herself walking outside, to the enormous backyard with blooming flowers everywhere. She headed to the luxurious water foundation and sat down. She sighed.


Why me?

 

.
 

Vally
Sunday January 8, 2012