Purple Scrubs

The Day Before

 

The nurse in purple scrubs walked swiftly down the sanitized hallway. The squeak of his shoes disturbing the silent walk towards his mentor’s office. He had been called to come immediately; about what, he didn’t know.  A mop of black hair poked in through the open door as Junkyu peeks into Insoo’s office. His mentor smiles at him motioning to come in. Insoo’s white hair swivels a little as he turns his head towards two others in the room.

“This is Junkyu, my protégé and one of Eunkyung’s ‘caregivers’.“

The two stood up and bowed in front of the tall nurse. Insoo continued his introductions. “These are Eunkyung’s parents, Mr and Mrs Park.”

The tall young man shifted awkwardly before bowing.

“Hello, n-nice to meet you.”

The white haired doctor cleared his throat. “They were the ones that called you here.” Insoo waved his hands toward the sofa in his office. “Please sit. Engage in conversation.”

The young nurse did as he was told, irritation in the doctor’s voice. With his head hung low, he sat beside Mrs Park as her husband paced the room impatiently. The older woman took his hand, tears in her eyes.

“Eunkyung was just the sweetest child,” she began. “Her smile was always so bright, she would never complain and she was always so considerate of other people… I hate to see her like this… she’s different, she won’t even look at me anymore.” The woman’s lip trembled and her eyebrows knit together. “Whatever that man did to her… it changed her. Oh please bring back my baby girl.”

“Y-yes ma’am.”

“Son, we just want to know if you’re capable of taking care of our daughter.” He turned his head toward the intimidating voice.

“Yes sir… I’ll do my best… sir.”

The pacing older man turned around to face the doctor sharply, accusatory finger pointed in his direction.

“You,” he hissed. “We’ll give you one month. If this doesn’t work then we’re getting another doctor!”

Insoo simply blinked and nodded once. “Of course.”

And as the older couple left the office, Junkyu looked toward the doctor only to find him staring back with a grave look.

“Hyung, what’s going on?”

 

 

- - - 

 

 

Junkyu blinked the tiredness away from his eyes not believing what he had just been told. He turned his head left, right then stared at the ceiling as if it would provide him with all the answers. Or maybe whoever is coming in through the door could shed some light on his otherwise confusing day.

“Jinseok. Jinseok. Jinseok-ah!” The young nurse said as soon as he saw the intern’s foot through the door.

“Yes hyung?” Junkyu ran toward the startled boy.

“Have you heard? They’ve put Miss Park in grief counseling.”

“Well, yeah Dr Kang told me.”

The older boy looked at him in disbelief. “He told you before me?”

“You were busy,” he mumbled. “He called us at the same time. Her parents were there when he told us but when they started arguing with him, he told me to leave.”

Junkyu nodded but heaved a great sigh. “I don’t get it”

“Don’t get what hyung?”

“Why they’re doing this… why they’ve put her in grief counseling.”

“W-well… what did Dr Kang say?”

“He said that we’re putting her on anti-depressants,” the young nurse said as he shook his head. “Help her get over her ‘loss’ or something.”

“What’s not to get?”

“We’ve taken her off the crazy pills –"

“– We’re not supposed to call it that –“

“– and it makes no sense!

Jinseok sighed. “Dr Kang explained it to me and I think he could be right.” The younger man fiddled with the stack of papers in his hands. “I mean… I’m just an intern but… you know, he knows more than us.”

“He could be wrong this time.”

“Well what else could explain it? She keeps defending him… like he didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Stockholme.”

“She has negative emotions when she thinks of him.”

“Trauma.”

“She still sees him everywhere.”

“Schizophrenia.”

“Noona doesn’t have schizophrenia.” The intern defended.

“Why are you arguing with me?”

“Why are you so bothered by this?”

“Look, I just talked with her mom,” Junkyu whispered. “Miss Park has changed. She’s different from the way her mother described her. He did this to her.” Jinseok looked at the older man and saw the resolve in his eyes. “And we have to change that. Doing this won’t change that.”

Jinseok looked back at his hyung with the same resolve despite the fear that gripped him. “Maybe we’re not supposed to change anything. We’re just supposed to help her.”

 

 


Hey guys! It's been a long time but here it is, the latest chapter for the story :D

i've been working on ideas for another story that i have because i lost the piece of paper for this one again ^^;

will check grammar and spelling later OTL