Red Lights

The Day Before

This is a flashback from Gunwoo's POV


 

He was at peace. No more running, No more hiding. No more fear.

She was screaming profanities at him, crying, wailing. So he did what he thought might calm her down. Gunwoo held her in his arms, sat them on the bed and whispered in her ear.

“It’s for the best.” Because it was the truth.

“You’ll be ok.”

“No… I won’t.” The girl was defiant as her voice trembled.

Gun woo took her face in his clean calculated fingers. Every move he made, he had planned, Every lie he’d spoken was crafted carefully.

But he had slipped. He made mistakes. The steps he took, he didn’t count. The smiles he gave were caused by his clumsiness. By his messed up mind. The mind that was occupied day by day with one thought, by one person. She had managed to creep into the dark corners of his mind. And turn him upside-down. But now that he had his mind clear, his conscience straight, he wanted to do right by her. He had calculated every possible option. Every possible solution. But this was the only way he was sure her life would be given back to her.

He was turning himself in.

They’d take him away, lock him up and keep him away from the world.

And she would be ok.

 

He whispered those very words to her as he cradled her in his arms. Her tears never ending, not believing a single word he uttered. Refusing to believe that this was the only solution.

“They’ll take you away from me,” she whispered, her voice fragile from wailing and screaming at the man she loved.

He could feel his own tears falling from his eyes like a broken dam. It hurt to know he could never be with her.

“It’s for the best.”

If only those words weren’t true.

 

The siren wails came closer, louder, deafening in her ears. It’s close.

Desperate fingers clung onto the collar of his jacket, pressing her face into the crook of his neck.

‘Don’t go,’ she wants to say. But he was hard to convince once he’d made up his mind. So she just hold onto him silently, letting her tears fall quietly.

Waiting for the time she has to let go. Dreading its arrival.

“They’re here,” she hears him say in a low deep voice, speaking with such abandon as if there were no consequences.

He let’s go of her. She does the same, letting her tears fall to the carpet, not daring to even glance at him as he walks away past the bedroom doors, arms raised in surrender. She hears the door burst open by brute force and she let a pained sob escape her unrestrained lips. She hears glass shatter and loud shouting as a body is wrestled to the floor. She thinks she hears one of them say ‘We have him restrained.’

And that was all she heard before her ears turned deaf, barely able to hear her own voice that she hand’t realized was screaming, crying, shouting; she didn’t know which one was right. Then again maybe she was capable of all three as foreign arms tug at her, force her to stand and hold her like a lover.

She felt weak. She had always been weak. Her legs stumbled as she felt her world collapse then turn dark. Her frail broken body falling limp in the arms of the very policeman that took her lover away from her.

 

 

 

 

 


I was listening to BoA - Implode, the whole time I was writing this chapter... I wrote it after work in a small notepad I have so I didn't realise it was so short :(