Grey Hairs

The Day Before

 

A young man in purple scrubs leans his body against the closed door of her room, a cold shiver running along the marrow of his spine. His brows furrow in anger while his fingers ruffle the top of his dark hair. Junkyu sighs as he takes his leave, fingers playing with the hem of his purple scrubs. His ears trying to ignore the painful sound of crying seeping through her door.

Hate is all he feels right now. Hate for the man that made her this way.

 

“So,” the girl stares at the doctor, the white-ish hair on his head made for an easy distraction. “Tell me about those days.” The doctor placed his hands on the table waiting expectantly for her answer. They had been talking for at least an hour inside this small container of a room, a small camera trained on her face. A simple machine watching her every move. By now she should know that ‘those days’ meant her time as a victim of kidnapping.

She looked at him, mind game at the ready, “I’ve told you everything I know, everything I felt. What else can I say to finally convince you to let me leave?”

Insoo chuckled slightly and nodded. “ So then… can you tell me about today?” He smiled warmly, encouraging her to tell him her secrets.

The girl was confused “Today?” Why would a doctor that had asked the same questions of ‘what happened during the days you were kidnapped’ and ‘how did you feel’, suddenly be interested in the here and now?

The doctor merely smiled at the girl. “How has your day been?”

She blinked. “It’s… been fine.”

‘That’s good to hear.” The doctor smiled gently but sighed. He needed to get to the point. “Eunkyung-ah,” he started carefully, “do you still think about the kidnapping?”

“I’ve already told you,” the girl replied, surety laced in her voice. “I don’t.”

“Then… do you still think about the kidnapper?”

Wide yes stared back at the doctor. “I-“

Insoo smiles gently. “It’s ok,” He says, “Can you tell me how you feel when you think of him?”

“F-feel?” Eunkyung turned her head away in shame. “You know how I feel,” she murmured in the lowest voice. “I’m not talking about this.”

But the doctor pressed on. “You said you loved him.” He sees her flinch. “ You said you had feelings for him.”

“And you didn’t believe me.” She snaps at the doctor, venom in her eyes.

She watches regret flash in front of the man for a brief moment. But she chose to ignore it.

“What if I told you I believe you now?” The doctor kept a level head.

“Then you’d be lying.” She said simply.

“Don’t you care about him anymore?”

“Don't mock me.” She glared at the man through burning eyes. “He left me here… why should I care about someone who never cared about me?”

Insoo pursed his lips and nodded his head. “I understand. That’ll be all miss Eunkyung.”

And with that, she was taken away from the room. Glare still evident on her face.

Insoo pinched the bridge of his nose. He’s made his decision. But that wasn’t the hard part. No. The hardest part was convincing everyone else to let go of their egos and do what was necessary to finally let the girl heal.

She’s fooled herself into thinking that she’s in love with him.

That’s what Insoo used to think.

They had analysed her. Everything she had told them, the absurdity of it all immediately made her psychologically traumatised. Immediately marked her as insane. Everything made sense to them; the doctors, the professionals. They thought they knew everything.

A typical case of the Stockholm syndrome, defending her kidnapper, claiming he was not a bad person.

That was all it was for them. That was all they saw.

 

She’d gone mad. Screaming profanities left and right as if it was the most normal thing in the world. Every day was the same and yet every day was different. They had tried to convince her that she was ill. Sick in the mind. But she was stubborn, resisting every arm that held her back, every needle that tried to sedate her.  Denial fell like blood through her lips. Her words were tainted; nobody wanted to see words so ugly. So desperate.  In the end she would always lose. Their war was always the same. And yet everyday she would look for him in the first rays of sunlight until she would fall asleep at a staircase or an empty chair. And they would always find her sleeping in a different place than the last. Never in her own bed.  

As for Insoo, his every move consisted of his routine check ups with the victim, keeping her in line, trying to explain the meaning behind her sickness. But every day was different. With each passing day, Insoo would rethink everything he knows, every psychological solutions for psychological problems. And maybe all they had to do was analyse her heart. Maybe then her mind would follow.

 

He makes his decision regardless of the hoard of complaints his tired ears would have to go through. He’s putting her in grief counselling.

For the loss of a loved one.

 

 


Here is chapter 2. Sorry for the long wait, the place where I write my chapters went AWOL for a few days ^^;

Please comment what you think :)

I want to try making my chapters longer too :(