Chapter 6

Breaking Bonds, Forming Ties

 

***halmeoni means grandmother***

 

Chapter 6

***

Suho left, and gazed at the room he left.

 

In a way, Chaerim is like me. She comes from a big family, but doesn't want to really be a part of it.

 

Suho gazed out of a nearby window, and saw a black, sleek SUV.

 

Uh oh. Not good.

 

The window for the passenger seat opened slightly, and a pair of eyes popped up. And a nose. A dog's to be exact. It opened wider, displaying a small terrier puppy. It happily wagged its tail and its tongue stuck out cutely.

 

The door opened and revealed an elderly lady, about seventy to eighty years old. The terrier jumped out and patiently waited for its owner. The lady had heavy make up on, and walked with a dark ebony cane. She wore a dress suit, and a matching pill box hat, all of them the color of olives. She surprisingly walked quite fast and Suho watched with some amusement. The puppy followed closely behind.

 

Why didn't Jisu tell me?

 

He closed his eyes and waited. There was a knock at the door, and Chaerim opened it immediately.

 

Chaerim gasped and stood aside as the lady walked in, with her dog following. Chaerim bowed with respect and glanced around for Jisu. Jisu entered the room, and got on her knees, bowing.

 

Annyeonghaseyo, halmeoni,” Jisu greeted.

 

Suho quickly tried to arrange his hair and clothes. Jisu's grandmother looked his direction and sneered. She walked over and pointed her cane towards his face.

 

Who's this guy?”

 

He is my-” Jisu started, standing from her kneel.

 

I'm her cousin,” Suho said.

 

I don't remember any of my daughters having any ugly sons like you.”

 

From her abeoji's side,” Suho said through gritted teeth.

 

I'm ugly?

 

The elderly lady snorted and waved her hand, as if to excuse him.

 

Thank goodness you aren't dating that geezer.”

 

Geezer? She called me a geezer?!! Look in the mirror lady!!!

 

Jisu hid a smile, and walked over to Suho. She cupped his face and dusted off the remainder of his chalk mustache. The lady took out a handkerchief and laid it out on the couch. She waved Jisu over , her hand floating over the couch, in a patting motion. Jisu sat next to her and glanced at Suho and Chaerim. She gave a please-leave-or-else-you-will-feel-the-wrath-of-halmeoni look. They both understood and Suho followed Chaerim into her room. They shut the door, and listened in.

 

When the door shut closed, the lady started talking.

 

Jisu, I'm not going to live much longer. You and I both know that. So, I created a will. You are my favorite grandchild, and I'd like you to have a majority of my fortune and items. I have one condition though. You must marry someone by the time I die. You can't handle my fortune on your own, and you are a frail child. I don't want you to get in trouble, so I want someone to protect you.”

 

Neh, halmeoni” Jisu responded nodding.

 

Good. I'll be leaving now. I need to tend to other things. Stay away from your cousin. The only thing I approve of is his . It's the only good thing about your abeoji's side. But don't get near him.”

 

Jisu coughed when her grandmother left and fell on the floor laughing.

 

She. Approves. Of. My. Boyfriend's. ?” she said gasping for air between each word.

 

Suho came out and smirked. He moved his rear end toward her and smiled.

 

You likey?”

 

Jisu gave a small scream and scrambled to get away from Suho's . She couldn't stop laughing, especially with Suho tickling her. Chaerim looked at the couple lovingly.

 

They are perfect for each other. I just need to find my guy now...

 

She glanced at the clock and furrowed her brows. She cleared and the giggling couple stopped. Chaerim impatiently tapped her wrist, symbolizing the time. They both look at the clock and got up, straightening their clothes. Suho massaged his lower back and walked like a grandpa to his coat. The trio walked out the door, and was welcomed by heavier snow. They caught the bus, back to the college. They went into a different section of the college, on the far side of the campus.

 

They walked into a large room with several rectangular tables, covered in plastic sheets. The room was a large burst of colors, with bright and contrasting colors. They walked to the table at the far right corner, where two other people sat.

 

One of them had light brown highlights in his hair, and looked very kind. He gave off the kind vibe and smiled warmly. He wore some eyeliner, that made him look manly and fierce. The guy next to him had curly hazel colored hair, and looked up from his cellphone when the trio sat down. He flashed them a million-watt smile, shining his pearly whites. He looked slightly uncomfortable in the small stool, because of his height. He towered over all of them, and looked goofy.

 

Jisu and Chaerim, this is Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Baekhyun and Chanyeol are my friends. Baek and Channie, this is Jisu, my girlfriend, and that is Chaerim, Jisu's friend,” Suho said.

 

Chaerim stuck her hand out and waited for them to shake it. Chaerim quickly withdrew her hand and and gave a small nod. Baekhyun and Chanyeol looked puzzled by her first action.

 

Sorry. In a book I read, to greet someone, you do a thing called 'shaking hands'”

 

They nodded with understanding,and Baekhyun replied, “I saw that a few times, but didn't really understand that.”

 

Chanyeol stuck out his hand and Chaerim grabbed his hand. He felt a jolt run through his arm as he touched her. He started jerking his hand up and down like a maniac, attempting to shake hands, and Chaerim laughed at him, her arm flailing up and down.

 

I like this girl. She has a nice laugh.

 

Another guy came in and joined their table. He had large eyes and deep black hair. He looked at the girls at the table and his eyes widened. His face turned a light pink shade. He looked away as he sat next to Baekhyun.

 

That's D.O. He get's nervous around girls. Except when he is around his eomeoni and halmeoni.”

 

Suho hugged Jisu lightly and said, “This one's taken. Hands off!” D.O. gave a nervous laugh and rubbed the nape of his neck. His face turned a deeper pink as Chaerim removed her jacket. A few other people came in and spread themselves among the tables. They all began to cluster into little groups as time passed.

 

Where are the maknaes?” Suho grumbled impatiently.

 

A young man with brown hair, walked up to their table and glanced around. “Hi guyth,” he mumbled. He gave a large yawn, before greeting the two girls with a small nod. They returned his greeting, and Suho whipered, “That's Sehun. One of the maknaes. The other one is MIA.”

 

The classroom filled soon enough and the bell rang. As it sounded the professor walked in.

 

Annyeonghaseyo class,” gyohsoonim said in a bright high voice. She wore bright yellow skinny jeans, with a neon pink coat. She also had on pair of indigo colored boots on. She had finished the look with funky looking earrings, which tied her whole outfit together. She swiftly put on a large lab coat, covered with different colors of paint and other unidentifiable materials.

 

Annyeonghaseyo gyohsoonim,” the class said together monotonously.

 

This is the winter semester class for ART I. Right? OK! Let's get started with the introductions. I'm-”

 

The door banged open as a tan male entered, the room. He wore a t- shirt, which stuck to his abs, despite the cold. There was still some snow in his hair topping his head. His lips were plump, and almost every female swooned at the sight of him. Except Chaerim, and of course, Jisu. He spotted their table and gave a crooked grin. All the girls in the room were now gasping for air from his iness. He sat lazily in the stool, giving a what's-up-baby nod to Chaerim. She gave him her not-amused-at-all face.

 

Well, I'd like everyone's attention now that the young gentleman had decided to join us. As I was saying, I'm glad to say that we will be starting out class with Christmas themed projects. Working in groups of four, you will create a holiday-inspired paper mâché statues. They will need to be a minimum of 4 feet tall, and have to be less than 6 feet, or else it won't fit out the door!”

 

Gyohsoonim chuckled at her last statement and continued. “You guys will have until Christmas to work on it.” She continued to drone on about the details, and it came to these basic rules:

 

  • Christmas themed(Duh).

  • Has to have a distinct representation(Ie: No random blobs).

  • Must be colored.

  • No Christmas trees. Must be original.

  • Has to be stable.

  • Extra credit will not be given.

 

Chop, chop! Start forming groups! Tell me after you guys are done.”

 

People were running around finding other people. Many of the girls were mumbling about the guy who entered later on, and tried to muster the courage to ask him. The guy went face to face with Chaerim, staring at her features.

 

She's cute, and has a nice bod.

 

I'm Jongin. But you can call me Kai.”

 

I'm Chaerim. You cn only call me Chaerim,” Chaerim replied smartly, without looking away from the crowd. The girls were still watching Kai with amusement and stared at him like a chocolate banana sundae cover in caramel, topped with a large cherry. Kai looked at them and winked. Some of the girls fell back in their seats, while the other's eyes were filled to the top with love.

 

Suho snorted at Kai's actions. “Leave Chaerim alone. Stop breaking hearts with your looks and body.”

 

Kai shrugged. “No one can resist this,” he said lifting his shirt, revealing his abs. More people swooned. Even the teacher noticed.

 

So, Chaerim, want to be in my group?” Kai continued.

 

Chaerim shrugged. Chanyeol suddenly yelled, “Chaerim, Baekhyun and me want to be in your group too.” Baekhyun looked puzzled, and glanced at Chaerim.

 

I guess we are a group,” Chaerim said lightly.

 

Suho gathered Sehun and D.O. into their group and started planning.

 

The two groups gathered towards different ends of the table, Jisu and Charim glancing at each other, sending messages texting each other(Not really).

 

Me: How did I get stuck in this group? I wanted to be in yours. ;~;

 

BFF Unnie: IDK. I wanted you in mine too. ;^;

 

Me: I'm sad. A whole group of boys. _ EPIC.

 

BFF Unnie: Sooo, are you happy there? ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

 

Me: LOL. No. I want 2 be with yoooou~~~(≧∇≦)/

 

BFF Unnie: Missing you from across the table. _

 

Chaerim was about to text back when she was interupted by Baekhyun.

 

So, what do you guys wanna do?”

 

A giant candy cane!”

 

Balls. Those whatchamacallit things you stick on trees.”

 

You mean ornaments?” Chaerim questioned.

 

Yeah!”came the reply.

 

Fruitcake”

 

An angel!”

 

Guys, let Chaerim have a chance to say something,” Chanyeol said.

 

All eyes were on Chaerim as she looked around. “What were your guy's ideas again?” she asked finally. There was a quiet groan. Baekhyun wrote down the ideas, and passed the list to Chaerim.

 

  1. Giant Candy Cane

  2. Ornaments

  3. Fruitcake

  4. Angel

 

I like..., the last one.” Chaerim decided.

 

Chanyeol let out a sigh of defeat. Kai rolled his eyes, while Baekhyun beamed. Kai looked at Chaerim as she studied the list one last time.

 

I'm pretty sure you would of prefered my idea.