I Hate Romance

A Series of Wonkyu One Shots

 

            Hi.

            My name is Kyuhyun "The Snark" Cho and I hate romance. I hate love. I hate relationships, and I hate couples. I hate Valentine's day, White day, and any other day dedicated to love. It's stupid, and I hate it. I hate it, hate it, hate it.

            The whole concept of love is just so amazingly stupid. The whole "anniversary" concept is pretty lame, too. Why would anyone want to spend time with one person for so long? I just can't comprehend it. I know I'd go crazy if I lived with anyone, other than.. I guess my mom, for so long.

            Anyways, there's this guy in my university, and his name is Choi Siwon. A lot of people like him, and I know many professors are pretty fond of him, too. He's both a ladies' man and a gentlemen's man. He hasn't been dating for quite a while, so he gets presents from admirers almost everyday. He receives them with a smile and a 'thank you,' and that's all he needs before whoever he's talking to melts into a pathetic heap on the floor. I'm exaggerating, of course.

            Oh, I forgot to mention. I hate him, too. Yup, I said it. I hate Choi Siwon, the man everybody else drools over. If people spent as much time working instead of gawking over him, we would have ended world hunger, discovered life in outer space, and end global warming. Yeah, that's how much everyone loves him. I hate how girls giggle over him, and how guys blush when he's around. It's so pathetic. Come on, people. I'm sure he's just like everyone else: once you're in a relationship, you'll get bored.

            I mean, sure, he has abs, and he's handsome, and he's tall, and he's well built, and he's good at sports, and he's super duper smart, and he's well-mannered, and-- wait. What the. I'm sorry. I take back everything I said. I sounded pretty crazy for a second there, right? -insert nervous laughter-

            Let's… Let’s forget all of that, for now. Let's focus on the now! Right now, I'm at the cafeteria, by myself. I don't have very many friends. People are scared of me, and I don't blame them. Along with love, I also happen to hate people in general. My mother often worried about this, but she's given up on trying to make me a more emphatic individual with a soul and heart. Her efforts were all in vain.

            So here I am eating disgusting school food (You'd think that college would have better food, but that isn't the case.), when all of a sudden, Choi Siwon himself comes up to the table I'm sitting at. I glance at him, and he says, "Hey, mind if I sit?"

            I only shrug in response, because I just don’t give a damn. I’m kind of hoping that my coldness will send him away, but it doesn’t. He just sits down, as if he belongs here. Then it’s quiet for a few minutes, and it’s pretty awkward, but that doesn’t scare him away, either. Usually, any other person would make up a poor excuse and leave. But not Choi Siwon. For some reason, this makes me hate him even more.

            It’s really, really quiet. And for the first time, I’m starting to cave from the awkwardness. I’m the one who wants to leave. Man. I feel so threatened. Like Choi Siwon has encroached my territory, and I have to chase him away.

            So I decide to stand my ground, and stand this awkwardness. I must be resilient. I must not show weakness.

            Something like ten minutes pass, and still nothing. No conversation or anything. For some reason, there’s no flock around Choi Siwon as usual. Maybe it’s because of me. Actually, it probably is because of me. I tend to repel strangers.

            Choi Siwon finishes his meal without a word. He smiles at me (He has dimples?), says, “It was nice eating with you,” and leaves. The bastard just leaves, and I’m left at my table, just staring at him. What. The. Hell. Was that. Not only is this guy incredibly annoying, but he’s also insanely weird.

            The weirder part? It keeps happening! He always makes it a point to eat lunch with me now. I don’t know how he’s always at the cafeteria when I’m there, but it’s creeping me out big time. What if… Gasp. What if he’s one of those charming guys who lead you on, then kidnaps you, and sets up a ransom, and ohmygod. I just might be in danger. Uh… Maybe not. Sometimes, my thoughts can get carried away.

            “Hi, Kyuhyun.” He says again, snapping me out of my outrageous thinking. I only nod like usual, and he begins to eat like usual.

            And maybe it’s because it’s been, like, two weeks since he’s started eating with me, and maybe it’s because he hasn’t uttered a single word except for ‘hello’ and ‘goodbye’ to me in those two weeks. Whatever it is, though, today feels totally different, and I suddenly find myself blurting out, “What is wrong with you?!”

            I resist from clamping my hand over my mouth. That would look odd. But dammit, why couldn’t I stop myself? How embarrassing. I was hoping to look cool and all by never initiating a conversation. And now this. My plan is shot.

            And Choi Siwon? He just raises a hairy eyebrow. “Hm? What do you mean?”

            And before I can stop myself again, I say, “What do you mean what do I mean? Why are you here? Why are you eating lunch with me, every single day, for the past two weeks. And you don’t even say a word. My god. And I thought I was the one with issues, here!” Christ! My mouth has a mind of its own today.

            Choi Siwon just smiles. He just. Smiles. And then he shrugs his manly shoulders and answers, “I don’t really know myself. I guess I just like you.”

            My mouth drops open. What. He just said the L-word didn’t he? So that’s why he’s been sitting here stupidly for thirteen days, not that I’m counting. My eyes narrow and I abruptly stand up to leave. Stupid Choi Siwon.

            I hear footsteps behind me and Choi Siwon catches up in just a few seconds. “Kyuhyun, what’s wrong? Did I say something?”

            Sighing heavily, I stop walking and look at him. “Listen. I don't like you, and I don’t like relationships, or love, or ‘like,’ or infatuation. So please, let’s stay strangers.”

            And any other normal person would have probably been offended and left me alone. But Choi Siwon isn’t normal. He smiles his stupid smile again and continues to walk with me. “I don’t really want to stay strangers, though Kyu.”

            I was about to give a smart response, when I realized he called me “Kyu.” I look at him flabbergasted. “That’s not my name!”

            “It is your name,” he answers nonchalantly. “Kyuhyun. Kyu.”

            We argue this until we eventually reached my dorm. Choi Siwon says, “Well thanks for letting me walk you back to your dorm. It feels like we’re friends now!” And before I can retort and deny that we’re friends, he runs off. SO. DAMN. WEIRD.

            The next few days, our interaction is not limited to the cafeteria. Choi Siwon follows me around, annoys me to no end, and keeps calling me “Kyu.” I snap at him, insult him, sometimes I kick him, and I run away. But no. He just won’t stop. He even started to make food and bring it to my dorms. This was the one good part of everything, really. I didn’t know he could cook, but his food beat the cafeteria’s food by a million and one miles. At first, I felt ashamed at myself for succumbing to something like this. But… But food. I am a broke college student. I will take free food whenever I can.

            And then all of a sudden…. nothing. He just stops completely. He stops showing up to my dorm, he stops hanging around me. I don't see him anywhere. I’m back at the cafeteria by myself, eating by myself.

            This is how it should be right? Choi Siwon is a pest right? I should be happy! What is wrong with me? Ugh. Stupid Choi Siwon. Totally messed me up. But at least he’s gone now. Now things will be back to normal.

            But they don’t go back to normal. Before long, I find myself going crazy over Choi Siwon. Where in the hell did that horse go? I go to Lee Sungmin’s dorm. He is my only friend, but I sometimes think he is part rabbit.

            I’m now in Sungmin’s dorm and I’m pacing. I’m ranting at times, muttering to myself at times, and kicking things around at times. The third upsets Sungmin because he’s kind of a neat freak.

            “Kyuhyun! You are driving me crazy. Sit down right now and calm the hell down.” Sungmin scolds.

            I glare at him, but I do as he says. By now, he pretty much knows my situation through my cycles of ranting and muttering. He rolls his eyes. “You’re so stupid sometimes, Cho.”

            My head snaps in his direction. “Stupid? Excuse me? I’ll have you know that everyone in my Physics class was upset the other day because I got the highest grade on the exam, and ruined the curve for them. That’s not stupid, Lee Sungmin. That takes brains.”

            Sungmin only rolls his eyes once again. “I meant socially stupid, stupid. Why can’t you be a little bit more emphatic? Don’t you have a heart or soul?”

            “Oh please, Min. You sound exactly like my mother now.”

            “Ugh,” Sungmin groans. “Never mind. We’re going off topic. I was just trying to say that maybe, you know… Maybe you like Siwon.”

            This time, I stand up. “What?! No. Sungmin, you are one crazy rabbit. I don’t like Choi Siwon. I don’t like him at all. In fact, I hate him. He’s weird and he’s annoying and his eyebrows remind me of caterpillars. You know how much I hate those things.”

            “Whatever, Kyuhyun.” Sungmin says, standing up to stretch. “You’re just in denial.”

            I huff, completely annoyed. “I will not stand for this kind of mistreatment. Lee Sungmin, I am leaving.”

            “About time,” I hear him mutter.

            “What was that?!” I screech. He only shakes his head and pushes me out the door.

            “Go away now, little love struck bird.” He dismisses me, and slams the door in my face, leaving me angrier than ever. Goodness! The nerve of some people. Wait till I see him again, he’ll be so sorry.

            So for the rest of that night, I stay in my dorms and glower. I manage to go to sleep eventually, but I wake up angry. I wake up feeling annoyed at both Choi Siwon and Sungmin. But more so at Choi Siwon. That stupid horse.

            The next day, I’m awake at three in the afternoon. It’s a Sunday, so no one has classes. By the time I get my hungry out of the door, it’s five. I take a really long time getting ready, because sometimes, after I brush my teeth, I kind of just crawl back into bed. I don’t like lying down in bed with that nasty taste in my mouth.

            I leave my dorm still sullen and still angry, when I bump into no other than the man whom all my anger was targeted at all this time: Choi motherfreaking Siwon.

            I’m shocked. My eyes are wide. I’m frozen in my place and all I can do is stare. I feel like a fish because my mouth keeps opening and closing as I struggle to find the words to say.

            Then he says, “Uh, hey.”

            And I lose it. I unleash all my anger at him at once. “YOU!” I scream. He takes a step back, shocked. “WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU?”

            “I… I—“ I don't let him speak.

            “Did you think it was funny, huh? Huh??? Leaving me alone suddenly? Without saying anything? And now you have the audacity to show up to my dorms and say ‘uh, hey’ to me? Huh?!”

            I’m ranting, and I’m yelling and I’m thisclose to punching him in the face. Eventually, he cuts me off. “Kyuhyun! I was sick! I’ve been sick, so I’ve been in my own dorm this whole time. I just never had the chance to tell you because you never gave me your number.”

            I snort. “Who the hell stays sick for that long?”

            Siwon frowns. “It’s been three days, Kyuhyun.”

            …

            Oh.

            Oh.

            Well… This is awkward.

            I feel heat creeping up to my face and suddenly, all I wanna do is run back to my dorms and hide under my blankets. I should have just stayed in bed today. I really should have.

            Suddenly, Choi Siwon grins. He grins so widely that I kind of want to put poke his dimples. That is… That is until he says, “Did ya miss me?”

            “NO!” I respond immediately. “I didn’t miss you at all!”

            Choi Siwon suddenly steps forward and advances towards me. He opens the door to my room, forces me in, and quickly shifts so that I’m against the door, and I am trapped by his arms by my side. I do not like the look on his face.

            “Cute,” he remarks. “You’re cute, Kyuhyun. CuteKyu.” He chuckles at his own lame joke

            Normally, I’d say something snarky in response. But suddenly, my tongue is tied and I can’t utter a single word.

            “I sat with you that day because I really did have an attraction towards you. Way before that, actually. That day was when I gathered the courage to sit with you.”

            I feel one of his hands cupping my cheek and… and I must say it feels kind of nice. His free arm encircles my waist and I suddenly feel him pull me towards him, and my lips touch his, and we kiss, and I find myself having to grip onto his shirt so I don’t slump onto the floor. Oh. My. GOD. This man is a good kisser.

            I moan.

            And I feel him smirking before he pulls away. “Did you like that?” he asks, his voice very cocky.

            “N-no…” I breathe out. I sound so pathetic right now. But I’m a stubborn, prideful brat.

            Siwon only laughs before pulling me into another kiss. This time, I don’t hesitate to kiss back.

            Um… Yeah… Earlier, when I said that I hate love and all that, it’s still true! I swear! Here, let me explain… See, love is stupid because…

            Well… What I’m trying to say is… relationships are dumb… um… Couples are stupid… uh…

            Ahem… Valentine’s day is full of bull… um… uh… Love… dumb…

            …

            it.

            I’m twenty-one years old and I have a boyfriend.

            So if you’ll excuse me, I have one Choi Siwon eagerly waiting for me to make out with him.


Should I just separate my one-shots instead of putting them together like this....? .___. Decisions, decisions.