Chapter five: The out-going Luhan

My Angel of Death

Luhan walked back a few steps until his back was pressed against the door and stared at the stick pointed at his heart.
“Are you sure about that?”, he whispered swallowing hardly.
Tao tilted his head and then he tried to hit Luhan with the stick, who surprisingly managed to dodge. Luhan ran into the corner of his room taking a baseball bat to his defense and waved it.
“I’m so not giving you my soul!”, he brought out between teeth.
Tao laughed and let his free hand run through the black hair of his.
“I’m not giving you the choice. You have none, Luhan. I can take your soul whenever I want”, he hissed and a cold shiver ran down Luhans spine.
Yes, our hero was scared, terribly scared to be exact. Still he wanted to fight to be alive longer.
“Are you okay honey?”, he heard his mom ask and apparently Tao heard her too as he looked towards the door as well.
“Yeah mom. I’m just fighting a bug”, Luhan replied earning him a frown from the black haired kid.
Tao attacked one more time and Luhan managed to escape the hit again and now sat on his desk while Tao was facing him. The shinigami tilted his head again so his bones made sounds and grinned devilishly.
Suddenly Tao was pressed against the wall and a few black feathers flew down to the ground while Tao struggled to release himself from the wall.
“Let me go!”, he yelled.
Luhans eyes followed Taos deadly glare to the window where Kris sat and apparently somehow pressed Tao against the wall. Luhan felt like hugging him so happy was he Kris had saved him.
“Nope. Why are you attacking him?”, Kris nonchalantly replied and crossed his legs.
“He is my target!”, Tao angrily spat.
“Luhan has three more months to live”
The black haired kid looked over to Luhan, who still had the bat pointed at him, and then down to his feet. He didn’t reply which was enough confession.
“Are you that desperate that you are willingly killing people now?”
Kris slipped down the window and walked over to his former partner forcing him to look at him by holding his jaw.
“You are not gonna attack him again, do you understand me Tao?”, Kris said, force and anger swinging with every word.
Tao widened his eyes at him and his face got a weird expression.
“Yes duizhang”, he finally whispered and so Kris let go off him. He slipped down the wall and stared up to Kris for a few moments.
“Well Han Han? Are you happy I’ve returned? Otherwise you’d be dead now”, Kris mocked. Luhan dropped the bat and quickly nodded. The blonde shinigami kept talking like he didn’t see Luhans response but the slightly red tinted cheeks gave it away. “If I hadn’t, you were dead by now. Believe it or not but this kid here is one of the best shinigamis in heaven”
Kris was cut off by Tao, who had jumped on him and happily hugged him tight.
“Oh you still love me, duizhang”, he beamed and his panda ears moved.
“Why is he calling you duizhang?”, Luhan wanted to know and got off of his desk to clean up the mess Tao had made. He of course knew what duizhang meant and as far as he could tell Tao was a full shinigami while Kris was still in training.
“I don’t even know”, he replied while Tao rubbed his head against his shoulder.
Luhan was sort of waiting for Tao to purr. The raven eyed kid disappointed him though.
“Are we still gonna have that deal?”, Kris asked after a while and tried to peel off Tao.
“Which deal?”, Tao interrupted Luhan who was about to agree.
“He wanted me to help him fall in love”
“That’s adorable”
“I know”
“I’m on it too then”, Tao giggled and let himself fall on Luhans bed. The blonde haired student shrieked in response and immediately urged him to get off.
“So I take it as I got two Angels helping me now”, Luhan said as he succeeded in getting Tao off of his bed.
The raven eyes boy shot a questioning glance at Kris who grinned.
“Totally”, Tao stated and clapped his hands.
Luhan sat down on his bed and rubbed his head.
“Are you tired?” Kris had transformed into his plush form and sat down on Luhans lap.
The blonde haired man nodded and patted the alpacas head.
“You should sleep then”, Kris suggested.
Tao joined them as he transformed into the panda that Yixing had given to Luhan.
“I guess…” He yawned and turned off the lights to sleep.
Tao cuddled onto his side quickly falling asleep and Luhan wondered how he had gotten into that situation in first place.

 

 


“If you two guys are gonna be spending time here living with me, there are rules to follow”, Luhan explained to the two shinigamis sitting on the floor as he refused to allow them sitting on his bed.
“First, leave me alone during university. You may not understand why I keep going there but it’s to keep me sane. So please respect that”
It was Saturday and Luhan didn’t have to go to university although usually he would learn now.
“Okay…”, Tao replied smiling at Luhan.
“Second, stay away from Yixing or my mom. No transforming into a human near them. I don’t want them to know from your existence at all. Got that?”
Both slowly nodded although Tao tried to complain. Kris had hit him on his head lightly and he eventually gave in.
“And thirdly”, Luhan began to say and walked out to get something. “You’re gonna sleep in that” Luhan carried in an bed for cats that used to belong to his beloved until she died.
“We ain’t pets Han Han”, Kris tried to interfere but to no use. Luhan insisted on it.
“Is that all?”, Tao wanted to know and stood up to examine his new bed.
Luhan eagerly nodded.
“Cool”, the raven eyed boy mumbled and transformed into his plush form to try the bed out. He fell asleep immediately.
“So Now that Tao’s out, we should head back to our plan. Shall we?” Kris pointed towards the door.
Luhan raised his eyebrows suspicious at what Kris had planned.
“Don’t worry its nothing too embarrassing Han Han”, he added as he followed Luhan downstairs.
Greeting his mother he walked into the kitchen to drink some milk.
“Are you going out honey?”, she asked as she noticed he was wearing street clothes already and his hair was styled. “Oh, are you meeting the girl that gave you the toy?”
Luhan almost choked on his drink.
“No, mom. I’m just gonna study”, he lied and begged that his mother won’t notice. If she did, she didn’t let it show and just smiled. Luhan walked out of the house followed by Kris and headed towards Kris’ car. The shinigami entered the drivers side and transformed into his human form while buckling up.
“So where are we going?”, Luhan asked as Kris started the car.
“You’ll get angry if I don’t tell you right? But I think you should give up control every once in a while. That’s why, you’ll see”
Luhan bit his lips as he saw Kris was right but he didn’t like to admit it. He hated not being in control. That’s why he organized everything.
“I trust you”, Luhan managed to say his voice a bit shaky.
“Should have already yesterday”, Kris retorted and drove into a garage to park the car.
When he was done he lead Luhan the way out and they entered a shopping mall.
“I’m not gonna buy new clothes, I actually like mine”, he said panic audible in his voice. Kris looked up and down, checking out his clothes.
“Your style is cute”, he complimented and smiled.
Luhan was wearing blue jeans and a college jacket combined with a beanie.
“Cute?!”
“Guys like cute people, so calm down. We are not gonna go shopping. Instead we need to built your self-confidence”, Kris explained. Luhan tilted his head in confusion. “You are gonna go to people and give them compliments”
“I can’t”
“Yes you can. You need to be friendlier to people”
The blonde haired boy snorted as he remembered that Yixing had told him the same long time ago.
“Watch me”, Kris said and walked over to an old lady struggling with her luggage. He helped her fixing it.
“I wish you a wonderful day, beautiful lady”, he then added with a dazzling smile. The lady blushed like a teenager and hurried away carrying her head a bit higher.
Kris returned to Luhan.
“That was cheesy”, Luhan commented and faked disgust.
The shinigami just grinned at him and pushed him towards a group of girls, that were sitting next to an ice cream shop. One girl had ginger hair and stunning eyes. Holding onto her cane she stared at Luhan, who approached her with shaky legs.
“Hi”, he mumbled and dug his nails in his palm. The girl didn’t answer, she just kept staring at him.
Luhan coughed and started again.
“Hi, I don’t mean to disturb but I really like your hair colour. It’s cute” He smiled at them before he turned away almost hitting himself as he found that a stupid compliment. On the other hand our hero was surprised how confident he had sounded.
Kris was obviously proud on him and sent him towards a boy this time.
Luhan checked the boy out while walking towards him to find something worthy to compliment. The boy was tall and lean and had really brightly dyed hair, it was almost grey.
“Hi”, Luhan said again, sticking one hand into the pockets of his jeans.
The grey haired boy looked up to him, he had been checking his phone until now, and Luhan saw he was Asian as well. For a few moments he wondered if he was a shinigami as well but pushed that thought aside to focus on his task.
“Do I know you?”, the kid asked and his sleepy eyes were scanning Luhan to possibly find something he could remember.
“No, eh”
“Are you hitting on me?”
“No, no, no!”, Luhan stated and waved his hands to protest. “I just wanted to tell you that I love your shoes and I wanted to know where they are from”
The kid simply rolled his eyes and walked away from Luhan, who stared after him in surprise. That was not what he had guessed could happen.
Behind him he heard Kris laugh.
“That’s not funny”, Luhan pouted as he was joined by Kris who leaned against the wall.
“Yes it was”
The student just rolled his eyes until he noticed someone.
“Oh no, there’s Yixing. Go go hide!”
“He had already seen me”, Kris complaint but Luhan didn’t care at all and just pushed him into a fashion store while he stayed outside to talk to Yixing.
“Hi Luhan, are you feeling better now?”, Yixing asked as they had greeted.
He was caring a few bags filled with books till the top. Luhan didn’t expect anything less.
“Not really, but one day I will”, he exclaimed and let out air loudly. Yixing patted his cheek.
“I know you will. You are strong, Lulu”
Lulu was stunned. That had been the first time Yixing had called him like that. Uneasy he moved from one foot to the other. As Yixing realized he won’t get a reply, he talked once more.
“Well, I gotta go. Those books about shinigamis won’t read themselves on their own. See you”
Yixing waved Luhan goodbye and the blonde man frowned as he got that Yixing didn’t even ask what he was doing here alone. He never had been the biggest shopping person and Yixing had known that. It bugged Luhan. A lot.
Sighing he returned to Kris in the store who was currently trying on a few t-shirts which all looked wonderful on him. But the best he looked in white, Luhan thought, white to fit his angel status. Kris flashed him a questioning glance as he took the last white shirt with some hip quote on it and went to the salesperson to buy it.
“You don’t have to buy it, Han Han”
“I wanted to. Just be thankful”, Luhan replied and handed the woman a note. “Thank you” He took the change and smiled at her. “Also your necklace fits perfectly to your eye colour”, he added directed at her and left the shop followed by a stunned Kris.
“Well that lesson worked quickly”, he mentioned. Luhan just shrugged as he didn’t want to talk about it. If he had told Kris he had bought the shirt because Kris looks so handsome in it, he definitely had made fun of him. And Luhan did not want that at all.


After window shopping for a while, they returned to Luhans home. During the ride back home they didn’t talk and Luhan was wondering whether Tao was okay or not. Also Yixing was busying his mind as he wondered if Yixing had always been like that or it just was because he maybe wanted distance now that Luhan was about to die. Yixing mattered to Luhan. He always had. When he moved here, at first he had no friends at all and frankly he didn’t care. The therapy for his heart disease didn’t work out and he was frustrated. One day during university, Yixing had sat down besides him, asking him to tell him if he had ever believed in ghosts. That’s how they had become friends. Because Yixing decided to. Did he decide they weren’t friends now any more?

“You worry too much”
Kris’ voice caught Luhan out of the blue and he was roughly ripped out of his thoughts.
“Believe me, you worry too much. If I have learned something in my angel life, that is that worrying won’t bring you far. If something bothers you, do something about it or it can’t be that bad”
Kris left the car after he changed back to his shinigami form.
“Why isn’t Tao your partner any more?”, Luhan wanted to know as he hurried after Kris to get his thoughts away from Yixing.
“You might not like him then any more if I tell you Han Han”
“I can take that risk”
Kris sighed and stopped walking to focus on what he was gonna tell him.
“When I became a shinigami I was told to pair up with him so he trains me, actually I was supposed to be with his former partner Chen, but then Chen said that Tao would take me. But somehow Tao hated me at first. He really did. It was horrible. Sometimes he took the souls for his own use instead of giving them to me like it was meant to be. Tao acted like a kid.”
Kris stopped and stared at the sky to maybe get a hold of a certain memory and a sly smile sneaked onto his face. Finally he continued talking.
“But soon Taos behaviour changed and he suddenly was glued to me. I still don’t understand what had happened but Tao claimed he had fallen in love with me. I didn’t reply those feelings I guess. So I just tried being his friend. It wasn’t enough for him as he told me soon he couldn’t be my partner any more. He just disappeared from our house in heaven and the next thing I heard is that he tries to achieve a level up. I don’t know.”
Kris paused again to check on Luhan who was basically glued to Kris’ lips.
“That must have been tough”, Luhan said empathetic. Kris shrugged. “Why didn’t you get a new partner?”
“The boss wanted to get one but I refused as I still hoped Tao would return to me one day. And he now did”, Kris smiled.
“What’s a level up?”, Luhan wondered and tilted his head.
“Haha sounds like a video game right? It’s just that if you have enough souls you can become a guardian angel and not be an angel of death any more”
“And that’s why he wanted my soul?”
Kris patted Luhans shoulders and pushed him forward towards the direction of his house.
“Yeah but don’t worry about it. I’m here to protect you”
Luhan was happy he walked in front of Kris so he didn’t see him blush at that statement.


 


 

When Kris and Luhan returned into his room they found Tao sitting on the floor reading one of Luhans Chinese books.
“I really hate the fact that I’m to stay here while you two have a fun date”, he frowned.
“That was no fun date. We worked on the task”, Kris said to calm Tao down. That didn’t work at all as Tao threw a book towards Kris who simply caught it.
Luhan rolled his eyes and took the book from Kris to put it into the shelve again.
“I’m still reading that Luhan”, the panda complained.
“Then don’t throw stuff at people” Luhan got the book out again and handed it to Tao who beamed and hugged Luhan.
Loudly sighing Luhan peeled off Tao and crossed his arms in front of his chest.
“My mom is not here this evening. Meaning I have to cook on my own”, he said looking cheery.
“Let’s order pizza! It had been a while since I had some”, Kris suggested and rubbed his hands in anticipation. He had sat down besides Tao on the floor, he had finally accepted that Luhan didn't want him on his bed at all.
Luhan felt his stomach twist at the thought of pizza, full of fat and cheese and good smell.
“Pizza? How about some Kimchi instead”, Tao threw in without lifting his head from the book.
“No to both. We are going to cook on our own. Can you guys even cook?”
An awkward silence followed and Kris and Tao exchanged a few glances before Kris spoke.
“Could be? Shinigamis don't remember their past”, he explained and Luhan could swear he saw Tao being uneasy at that topic. “That means, if I could cook before I died I can now. If not, well...” He made a movement with his hands to show a no.
Luhan furrowed his eyes, trying to understand the information he had been given.
“We are gonna try! No excuses I am hungry so follow me”, he insisted and walked down.
“But the book!”, Tao tried to complain but Luhan immediately shot back.
“I am dying in three months, you have enough time to finish it. Well, if you don't decide to kill me earlier”

Tao mumbled something like, that it hadn't been his fault but finally gave in and followed Luhan downstairs into the kitchen. There it showed that Kris indeed couldn't cook at all, he somehow even managed to fail at washing the rice. Still, Tao and Luhan managed to prepare a meal for the three of them. It felt nice for Luhan having them around him, Tao would often try to make fun of Kris, whilst the blonde would find something to reply and that went on until Tao pouted.
Luhan couldn't help but feel jealous at the closeness that Kris and Tao obviously had and his thoughts wandered back to Yixing and his actions today. Of course he told himself, that Yixing probably just was too excited about his books to care for anything else, but he was hurt. He didn't like being hurt. That was one of the many reasons he had always pushed people away, he feared of being hurt, he feared of losing something precious to him and now that he was about to die, he was gonna lose everything and he hated it.
“What is dying like? What's gonna happen to me once those months are up?”, he asked and Kris dropped his glass in surprise. It shattered in pieces on the floor.
“What do you mean?”
“Where am I gonna go once you've taken my soul? I just... ah forget it”
Luhan stood up from the table and went into the bathroom to wash his face. There he looked at his reflection, at his big brown eyes and the scars on his right cheek and underneath his lip from a bicycle accident some years ago. Softly he lifted his fingers to wipe away water that was on his nose tip. It couldn't go on like this he decided. He was gonna use the last few moments he had in life. He was not gonna worry about if someone liked him or not. Instead Luhan told himself to open up and find the love inside him.
“You will open up”, he said to his reflection in the mirror, his voice stern and fixed. He had never been any more sure.
With his head high he walked back to Kris and Tao, who were whispering to each other.
“We are going out tonight!”, he announced and hit the table with his fists only to find out it hurt. Rubbing his right hand with the other, Luhan ordered Tao to clean the dishes and Kris to clean up the glass he had let fall down. The two shinigamis were confused at the sudden need of Luhan to do something like that but followed his orders.


 


 


 

“Are you still sure this was a good idea?”, Kris asked as he was standing together with Luhan on the bar getting drinks. Meanwhile Tao had already dismissed himself on the dance floor and was swaying to an upbeat song Luhan had never even heard of.
“Absolutely. Nothing will happen to me as long as you are with me right? So, I guess it was a good decision”
He sounded way more confident than he was. Actually he disliked crowed places although he told himself that he was going to be fine. Kris snorted at Luhans statement and paid for the drinks. They drank them quietly and watched Tao getting hit on by a girl. Then Luhan decided to dance as well, and apologized to Kris as he headed towards the dance floor. It had been awhile but somehow his body took over and he just moved to the music. His eyes met Kris' for a second and he smiled at him. Somehow although he wanted to kill him a day ago, he knew he now trusted the shinigami. It was a weird feeling to him and he actually enjoyed it.
Our hero danced to four songs before he noticed another boy checking him out. It was the only other asian dude there, expect for him, Tao and Kris of course and he obviously was interested in Luhan. Panic made its way through Luhans body until he told himself that this was exactly what he wanted. He looked the boy right in the eyes and tilted his head smiling. The boy immediately approached him and moved his body close to Luhans.

“I'm Xiumin”, he whispered into Luhans ear and a shiver ran down the spine of the student at that action. His eyes met once again with Kris, who had his thick eyebrows raised and quickly looked away as he noticed Luhan was looking at him.
“Luhan”
They continued to dance with each other until Xiumin suddenly snook his tongue into Luhans mouth. Luhan felt his head spin and turn and quickly kissed back before being pulled away.
“Sorry bro, this guy is nothing for you” Kris pushed Luhan behind him. Curious Luhan glanced at Kris, who balled his hand to a fist.
“No stealing here”, Tao said and over Xiumins jawline, moving Luhans purse in front of his eyes. Then he threw it at Kris. Luhan was stunned and wiped away the saliva on his mouth.
“And now get lost, before I consider hurting you”, Kris hissed and Xiumin dashed away. “And that's what happens when you get lost in the moment”, he added while handing Luhan his purse.
“Thank you” Luhan beamed and almost hugged Kris but stopped himself so it just became a weird shoulder pat. Kris raised his eyebrow questioning at it.
“What a jerk”, Tao laughed and returned to dance.
Luhan wanted to resume dancing too, his mood was a bit dimmed though. Instead he went back to the bar with Kris and drank some. He was a bit shocked at what had happened but was also way to proud to admit it. Kris didn't ask any further although Luhan could tell that Kris was interested in knowing what Luhan was thinking now.
They stayed for another three hours and eventually Luhan managed to get over the fact he kissed a thief and danced his heart out. Well not literally but you get the drill.
When they went home and Luhan watched his shinigamis as plushies falling asleep he was really happy he had them.


 


A/N: haha what a long chapter and so much information. I'm not sure when I'll update again as I have to write my one shots and my Zelo/Luhan fanfic *cough* I just noticed I can't write Tao without pairing him with Chen although I didn't knew I shipped them that hard.

In other news I am planning on adding some female shinigamis as well, so leave me a comment which idol you would want as I am at a lost with females. Haha. :( But seriously I only have male shinigamis so far (Kai, DO, Kris and Tao) and i need some girls. The boy in the shopping mall was Sehun by the way :D

xoxo Lucy.

 

UPDATE: OMG A PART OF THE CHAPTER WAS MISSING MIANHAE OMG I M SORRY :( I ADDED IT NOW