Chapter three: Deal? Deal.

My Angel of Death

As soon as Luhan entered the university, Kris appeared next to him out of nowhere, which made Luhan jump a little. Kris seemed interested in what Luhan studied and so he sat down two rows behind Luhan and listened to the lecture. Sometimes Luhan would turn around to see Kris face a little bit dreamy. He obviously liked music.
Kris was also there during lunch time and people were walking straight through him, as no one but Luhan could see him. It felt like he was a little boy again with his imaginary friend. He wondered how that felt for Kris, but he didn't dare to ask. Not only because he didn't want to seem insane, and since no one saw Kris, that would be insane, but also because Luhan was plainly scared. Scared of getting too much into that Shinigami thing, getting too much information which would force him to confront his death. And so Luhan just stared in amaze, watching people walk through his constant companion.
The sight of the shinigami around him the entire time, made him sad. Knowing he would die in such a short time and knowing he reached nothing in this life, was getting on his nerves. Of course the boy had known he was gonna day some day, and some day meant not when he had reached on old age due to his heart disease. Still, if he was honest with himself he wished he had reached something, experienced something.
And then a plan came in his mind.

 

“I will give you my soul”, Luhan said as he returned from his late evening shower, wearing his bathrobe. He frowned as he saw Kris sitting on his bed, and grabbed his arm to pull him off.
“You will?”, Kris happily replied his usually straight face suddenly seemed much friendlier.
“Under one condition” The happiness left Kris’ face and a frown appeared around his full lips. Luhan succeeded in pulling him off the bed and Kris stood around awkward in the room.
“Do you think you are in the position to make conditions?”, he replied and pulled on his cape, while sitting down on Luhans desk. The former balled his hands to fists as he tried to contain his anger over Kris sitting down everywhere.
“I am. You do what I want or you will not get my soul. You can’t take my soul without my permission, right?” Kris’ face turned even more annoyed as he snapped his fingers and a big black book appeared.
“What is this?”, Luhan asked while he placed himself on his own bed carefully to not destroy the prettiness of how clean it was.
“The rules. Shinigamis in training are allowed to check them”
Kris swapped through pages until he let out a loud sigh.
“Great, my former partner tells me about everything and their mom, but forgets to mention…” He lifted his hat with the fake alpaca ears and ruffled his own hair. Then he looked at his target.
“You do know that I am not like genie or something? I can’t just fulfil wishes in the blink of an eye” The shinigami let out another sigh as Luhan just blankly looked at him.
“What do you want?”,Kris finally asked.
“I want you to help me fall in love”
“What?” Kris slipped from the desk and fell to the floor. Luhan was sure, if Kris would be an actual human being, his mother downstairs would have heard the fall. The sight made Luhan grin.
“I want to fall in love before I die. All my life I had never experienced love. I dated people… But it was never love”, Luhan stated.
“Do I look like Amor? I am an angel of death not love” Kris pretended to shoot an arrow to underline his statement.
Luhan rolled his eyes.
“I know, guess what I am not stupid”
“You seem stupid to me”, Kris replied and shrugged.
“Hey hey hey, take that back!”
“Prove me wrong and I will- but for now. You seem stupid”
“Haha not funny”, Luhan said and pouted. He saw that Kris' eyes widened a bit at the sight, before he returned to his usual pokerface.
“Not even planning to be funny. So how do you think this is supposed to work, me helping you fall in love?”
“I don’t know. I thought you knew”, Luhan replied honestly. Kris let out a tortured noise.
“I can’t just run around and look at girls and tell one to fall for you. I am not allowed to change people’s free will, Han”
“You get me wrong, I want to fall in love. I never said something about my love being returned”
“This sounds like no fun though”, the shinigami said. “What kind of girls do you like?”
Luhan made a weird, not sure sound. Kris rolled his eyes. He snapped his fingers again and pen and paper appeared, when he got a hold on them, he started jotting something down.
“Okay, not limiting the prey is good. The more the merrier, right? Right!” Luhan made the “Ohm” sound again.
“Oh, and since you are going to die soon, I suggest you stop going to university, so you can focus on the task”
Luhan shook his head.
“I am sorry, but I can’t. I will go to university, Kris”
Kris narrowed his eyebrows.
“Are you sure you want to learn about notes and stuff, while you could be out there fulfilling your own last wish?” Luhan bit his lip. “Oh wait, you already like a girl and that is why you don’t want to leave!”
Luhan made another sound.
“What?”
“I never said I want to fall in love with a girl” Luhan took of his bathrobe and hung it up. He had been wearing a shirt and boxers underneath.
“What?”, Kris repeated as he finally got up from the floor.
“I am gay”
Kris dropped the pen and paper, he had made out of thin air, and frowned.
“Well, I guess I have to recalculate the plan then. I have no idea where to meet gay guys here in town…”
Luhan made another “Ohm” sound.
Kris stood up and sat down beside Luhan on his bed.
“Don’t tell me it doesn’t have to be a gay guy”
Luhan tried to push Kris off of his bed, but the shinigami wouldn’t move.
“Never. Said. Anything. About. That”, Luhan said between pants, still trying to get Kris off his bed. “Just teach me how to fall in love”
The shinigami stared at Luhan for a while, obviously hoping that Luhan will break out into laughter and explain he was just kidding. As he understood that this was not going to happen, Kris transformed into his alpaca form and curled up next to Luhan.
“I will try to. Three months seem enough”, he mumbled.
"Thanks, but can you get off of my bed, please?", Luhan begged.
"Do you want me to sleep on the cold floor? Meanie!", the shinigami stated. Luhan frowned but eventually gave in.
Silence followed for several minutes, after Luhan had turned off the lights, until the boy decided to break the silence.
“And you are not shocked I am gay?”
“Why should I be? You are allowed to like what you want”
Luhan nodded, already half asleep. And then his curiousity took over, although he had sworn himself not to.
“Kris? How did you become a shinigami?”
There was another moment of silence and our hero was sure, Kris was sleeping already when the angel finally answered.
“Never ever talking about that with you. Never. Its better if you don’t know, Hannie”, he said with a really dark tone. Alpaca Kris patted Luhans hand, and then they fell asleep.

 


“You should really bring that girl over”, Luhans mother said as she was waking him up. He raised his eyebrows at the statement discovering, he was currently cuddling with Kris in this alpaca form. Luhan immediately let go off him, and the plush fell onto the floor. The mother picked him up, caressing the ears.
“Don’t be shy, sunshine. It is okay if you like the toy the girl gave you”,she grinned and left the room to prepare breakfast. Luhan rolled his eyes. His mother would be less enthusiastic, if she knew it was an angel of death waiting for him to die.
He looked down to see that Kris had transformed back to his original form and was giggling like a maniac. Luhan kicked him, and then headed to the bathroom.
After he was done getting ready, he went to eat breakfast with his mom, and kept an eye on Kris who snook around in the house.
"To find out who you really are", Kris explained as Luhan gave him an angry look, while the shinigami looked at family pictures. It was torture of Luhan to be so exposed but being unable to say something.



Thank God torture ended quickly and he headed to his usual pre-uni date with Yixing. Already thinking of a way to get rid of Kris, the shinigami excused himself this time.
"I have important issues to do, Han Han. Don't be sad", Kris muttered and patted Luhans shoulder. The kid furrowed his eyebrows, not exactly believing that, but he chose to be happy to have him off his back. He simply nodded and walked to the coffeeshop.
"How is research going?", Yixing asked and tilted his head, while Luhan placed the two warm drinks on  the table.
"Not good. I was too lazy", Luhan lied. Well, our hero wasn't too lazy. Not at all. It was just, how should he research with Kris basically glued to him? Get to know the enemy.
Yixing raised one eyebrow and pressed his lips to a thin line. Luhan smiled at him and studied his best friends facial expression and over all features. Yixing had an amazing built, everything about him seemed delicate. Milky white skin made him seem out of this world. Our hero was so jealous of Yixings appearence and sighed as he remembered again, that he would never look even half as good.
"That's so not you, Luhan. What's up? Are the pills too much?", Yixing asked, concerned covered every little letter. He knew about Luhans sickness, but definitely didn't have any clue about how serious Luhans condition was.
Luhan nodded, happy that an excuse was shoved in his face. His best friend sighed empatheticly.
"I'll look around a bit after university, okay?" Luhan flashed him another smile, which was returned by a dimpled one.

They finished their drinks and soon went to university, where Yixing of course dismissed himself to the library. Luhan sat alone durning the lectures and durning lunch break, still looking for either Yixing or Kris but thankfully or sadly none of them showed up. But he liked it better this way, so he could focus on the lectures.
For the last one Yixing showed up, carrying like hundreds of books and let them all drop on Luhans table.
"Shinigamis are portrait in different ways over history. Some describe them as angelic, guardians, that lead the poor and dead souls into the after life. They are said to be warm and caring", Yixing started to explain without paying attention to the fact, that they were in a lecture and Luhan wanted to understand something. Luhan remembered how he first saw Kris. There was nothing warm about that. A cold shiver run down Luhans spine. "Others portrait them as demonic soul reepers, that take what they want and use humans as their toys"
"Really? That sounds... harsh"
"Yeah, its like there are angels and demonic shinigamis. I really don't understand it completely. But it could also be that the people writing about them in a bad way are just pissed they'll die", Yixing laughed.
"I guess... Especially as you said they need permission to take the souls" And Luhan now knew this was true.
"Yeah, but I have found some diaries, where people write that the shinigamis stated, that they can take them even without the victims willing. I mean, they only guide them to the afterlife, right?"
Luhan kept silent. He had no idea what Kris would do with his soul once he got it.
"Confusing", he said then and looked at Yixing, who had his head buried in  a book.
"Do you mind if I write a story about shinigamis too? You got me hooked?"
"Nope, go ahead", Luhan stated and smiled. Especially since he didn't even plan on writing a story involving shinigamis, he didn't mind at all. Maybe Yixing found something useful.
For the rest of the lecture Yixing kept reading the books and Luhan felt a bit out of place, trying to focus on the lecture but it was to no use. Instead he grabbed a book as well and started reading. In that it described shinigamis as heroes, as fighters against souls, that didn't accept that they were dead and turned monster. Luhan closed the book frowning. That was far from true in his eyes.


After the lecture Yixing and Luhan walked out of the university, and had actually planned to go to their coffeehouse again, to learn a bit. Well, in Yixings case probably research more. Their plans changed though.
"What a cool car", Yixing commented over the huge amount of books he was carrying. Luhan looked up from his feet, to see a white jaguar standing in front of the university. He froze. That was not good, he immediately sensed.
"Hmm mhhmm", he made just to tell Yixing he heard him but in fact he was busy hoping his fear was wrong. It of course wasn't. A tall blonde man was leaning against the car, wearing a white t-shirt and tight blue jeans.

Kris.

"Hey Han Han", he yelled and waved to Luhan, signaling him to come over. Yixing gave him the look.
"You know a dude with such a sweet ride?"
"Do you believe me if I say I have never seen this human before?", Luhan replied and wasn't even lying. And then it hit him. Yixing saw Kris. Everyone saw Kris. Luhan blushed.
"Nope. Judging by the fact he is obviously Chinese like us and spoke mandarin to you... Who is he? Plus, why does he call you Han Han?", Yixing wanted to know and bit his full lower lip.
"Can't tell..." Luhan breathed and headed towards Kris, who pokerfaced several girls staring at him and Luhan had to admit he saw the reason. Kris was handsome.
"What are you doing here?"
Kris just smirked and opened the door for Luhan, pushing him inside.
"And where did you get that car??"

 


A/N: sorry this took so long. I had the chapter done, but totally forgot it over several one shots. I am sorry