Five

My Cold Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Seohyun mindlessly went to the church where Mrs. Kim helped her put on her wedding gown and made some last minute alterations. The white dress had long sleeves, a heart-shaped neckline and a pearl flower design in the front. The pearls on the dress matched her pearl necklace and earrings. Seohyun thought it was pointless to be so particular about a wedding gown. Why spend so much time fussing over a dress that is only worn once?

Yuri, her maid of honor, smiled. "You look splendid."

"I have yet to see an ugly bride," Mrs. Kim added. "Though I confess you are more attractive than some women I have worked with."

Seohyun decided not to respond. Instead, she waited until Mrs. Kim was done before turning her attention to her best friend. Yoona was her bridesmaid, but she hadn‘t shown up yet. There was still another hour before the ceremony, so Seohyun wasn‘t concerned.

Once Mrs. Kim left, Seohyun finally got a chance to talk to Yuri alone. She quickly sat at the small table in the bridal chamber and wrote Luhan a note, asking him to call off the wedding since she didn‘t wish to marry him. She turned to her best friend. "Will you send this to Mr. Xi?"

Yuri frowned. "I don‘t know if calling off the wedding is a good idea, Seohyun. I‘ve thought about it and I think he‘ll be a good husband to you."

She groaned. "Not you too!"

She shrugged. "I can‘t explain it but I don‘t think he‘s as boring as you fear. I had time to watch him at the engagement party and I saw the way he looked at you. He loves you, and he‘s willing to marry you even though you‘re poor. I believe you will be very happy with him, though it won‘t seem so at first."

"What is wrong with everyone? Am I the only one who sees how wrong we are for each other?"

"Apparently."

She shook her head. "Obviously, the insanity is spreading."

Yuri laughed. "Is that what it is? If insanity is wanting my friend to be happily married to a man who‘ll adore her, then I confess that I am insane."

Seohyun ignored her as she stood up and left the room with the note.

Her friend ran after her. "You don‘t know what you‘re doing." She reached for her arm and stopped her. "Seohyun, don‘t be rash. Seriously, he isn‘t that dull. He laughs a lot and has an enthusiasm for life. I didn‘t notice this until I watched him on Thursday evening. I misjudged him because he doesn‘t stand out in a crowded room. And if you take the time to actually look at him, you‘ll find that he‘s attractive."

"Since you think so well of him, why don‘t you marry him? I‘ll be glad to let you take my place."

"No. He‘s not for me. He‘s for you."

"See? Even you wouldn‘t marry him."

"He cares for you in a way he doesn‘t care for me. I‘m not the one he wants."

"So it‘s all about what he wants? What I want doesn‘t matter?"

"You are being unnecessarily stubborn. Do you honestly think Kai would make a better match?"

"No. Kai puts money before me. He would make a dreadful husband."

"Then be grateful that you get to be with Luhan instead."

"Luhan‘s not any better. His big concern is looking good for his clients. The only thing I will be is a doll he can put on display."

"You have no idea how wrong you are, and until you‘re married to him, you won‘t know the truth."

Seohyun decided that she had heard enough. She shook her friend‘s hand off of her arm. She marched across the entryway, ignoring the startled looks from the guests, and went straight to the groom‘s chamber. She loudly knocked on the door.

Her brother opened it. He looked shocked to see her. "Seohyun, you shouldn‘t be here. You know it‘s bad luck for the bride to see the groom before the wedding."

"This wedding is a big mistake and we both know it. I need to speak to Mr. Xi at once," she demanded.

"You can‘t. He‘s not here."

"What?"

"He had to take care of some business with a client. He expects to be here five minutes before the ceremony. You won‘t have time to talk to him before the wedding. You‘ll have to give him a list of your grievances later."

"How convenient it is for him to be unavailable so often," she snapped. "If I didn‘t know better, I‘d swear it was a ploy to make sure I‘d have to go through with the marriage." She crossed her arms and glared at him.

"Come on, Seohyun. Don‘t look at me like that."

She stood still.

Yuri ran over to them. "I‘m sorry, Mr. Seo. I tried to stop her."

He smiled at her. "You can call me Jun Young. We‘ve known each other long enough. There‘s no need to worry about my sister. Luhan isn‘t here so she can‘t talk him out of marrying her."

"This was done on purpose, wasn‘t it?" Seohyun fumed.

He shrugged. "There might have been some concern that you would resort to harassing him before the wedding."

"Harassing?"

"Certainly. You‘ll break his heart if you don‘t marry him."

She stomped her foot on the ground. "Doesn‘t anyone care about my feelings?"

"Of course, we do," Yuri gently insisted. "That‘s why we want to see you with him."

"I refuse to go through with this!" She ran to the entrance.

They gasped and chased her.

Jun Young managed to jump in front of her as she reached the doorway but she quickly darted around him and left the church.

"You‘re getting the hem of the dress dirty!" Mrs. Kim protested when she saw her run down the steps.

Dirt was the least of her concerns, so she ran right past the seamstress.

Jun Young caught up to her and wrapped his arms around her so she couldn‘t run anymore. He picked her up and took her back to the bridal chamber. Turning to Yuri, he said, "Lock the door from the outside so she can‘t get back out until it‘s time for the ceremony."

"You can‘t betray me like this," Seohyun screamed to Yuri as she fought to get out of her brother‘s arms. "You‘re supposed to be my best friend."

Her friend looked sympathetically at her. "It‘s because I‘m your best friend that I‘m going to do as your brother said. I honestly believe you‘ll be giving up a wonderful husband if you don‘t marry Luhan."

"You‘ll thank us someday," Jun Young agreed.

He dropped her in a chair and kept her in place until Yuri shut and locked the door. Yuri stood outside the room so she could unlock it when it was time for the wedding.

Seohyun had never felt more betrayed in her life. Her brother and best friend were active participants in the worst day of her life. "I‘ll never forgive either of you for this," she loudly stated so Yuri could hear her from the other side of the door.

"Yes, you will," he simply replied, not disturbed by her anger at him. "You‘ve been mad at me for worse things."

"I can‘t think of what‘s worse than this."

She crossed her arms and turned away from him. Just because he was in the room, it didn‘t mean she had to look at or speak to him. She considered her options. One, she could continue to try to talk sense into her brother and friend. That, however, didn‘t seem to be working. In fact, the more she protested, the more they wanted to see her with Luhan. So she thought over her other option. She could say no when the preacher asked if she would fulfill her marital vows. She was nervous enough about being in front of a church full of people, but it was an option worth considering. Sure, her family and friends would be upset. But they weren‘t the ones being forced into this marriage. Naturally, they wouldn‘t care if her heart was breaking over it. She finally decided that she would simply refuse to marry him during the ceremony.

She spent the rest of the hour in silence. Her brother tried to reason with her but she ignored him. She even refused to look at him.

Yuri unlocked the door. "Everyone is ready for the bride."

"Don‘t you mean, Xi Luhan  is ready for the bride‘?" Seohyun sarcastically stated.

"Seohyun, please don‘t make a scene out there," her brother pleaded with her. "Luhan‘s a good man who honestly cares for you. He doesn‘t deserve to look like a fool on his wedding day."

She didn‘t respond. She stood up and stomped past Yuri and Yoona who had been waiting outside the door. She briefly noted that Yuri looked upset, but she had a feeling that Yuri wasn‘t upset about the wedding, her or Luhan. Something else is bothering her. She has that same look she gets when she hears unpleasant news. Yoona was grinning from ear to ear, so obviously, whatever was bothering Yuri, it had nothing to do with Yoona.

Mrs. Kim handed her the white flowers. "You do look lovely. The dress really enhances your figure. Mr. Xi will be pleased."

She gritted her teeth so she wouldn‘t roll her eyes. She waited as Yoona and Jun Young walked down the aisle and separated so that Yoona stood on her side and Jun Young went to Luhan‘s side. She couldn‘t see the altar but knew that this was the procedure. Yuri and Chanyeol followed. Then it was her turn. She didn‘t bother to look at her father as she put her hand on his arm.

"Seohyun, must you be cold on your wedding day?" he sadly whispered.

"Are you surprised? You know very well that I don‘t want to be here," she whispered back.

He sighed. "I had wished my last day here would be a joyous one."

She glanced at him. "You‘re le

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter