Eleven

My Cold Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When Luhan arrived at work, his uncle looked upset. Cheng motioned for him to come into his office. After he put his hat up, he joined his uncle and sat in the chair in front of his desk while the older man closed the door.

"What‘s wrong?" Luhan asked as his uncle sat in his chair.

"I just got word that Huang Zi Tao‘ accounting firm went bankrupt, and the funny thing is that the Kims just opened an accounting division in their company. So they are not only doing investments and loans, they are also doing accounting."

"This is more than a coincidence."

"It‘s obvious to anyone what is going on but people are turning a blind eye to it. I originally thought we were dealing with rattlesnakes, but I was wrong. We are dealing with boa constrictors. They don‘t kill automatically. They squeeze the money out of the businesses they are trying to run out of town. Their ultimate goal is to be a monopoly. Just how many businesses they plan to take over is anyone‘s guess, but it‘s apparent, we are on that list." His uncle tapped the table with his fingers. "That‘s why they went after Mr. Seo. Accounting and tax preparation go hand in hand. Mr. Seo was the best tax preparer in this town and they knew it. It‘s too bad we can‘t prove they sabotaged his and Mr. Huang‘ businesses."

"We know for sure what happened with Mr. Seo, but are you sure they are responsible for Mr. Huang‘s bankruptcy?"

"No but I have a strong suspicion."

"So what is our game plan?"

"The Kims will be going to the Bi-Monthly Businessmen‘s Convention at the Lisp‘s Hotel."

"We go there as well."

"Which won‘t make them suspicious when we show up. I need you to follow good old Jr. for me while I follow his father. We need to keep a safe distance but stay close enough to overhear parts of their conversations with the other men there to see if we can figure out who they‘re going to target on their way to obtaining their monopoly. If we can gather enough support from the other businesses that are in danger, we might succeed in exposing them for who they really are."

"That sounds easy enough. Is there anything else?"

"We have that meeting in fifteen minutes with Zhang Shimin at his bank. Then we‘ll take an early lunch so we can be at the convention. I don‘t want to worry about eating there this time."

Luhan nodded and followed his uncle out of his office so they could go to the bank. Shimin wanted to offer his customers a place to invest money, and he was considering contracting that service out to the Xis or Kims.

By the time they reached the convention, the Kims were already there.

"Time to get to work," Cheng whispered before they separated and went to their respective Jongin.

Luhan kept a comfortable distance from Jongin who was talking to Jin Zhong Da, one of the wealthiest men in town. Mr. Jin was also a prominent client at the Xi Investing Firm.

"I heard that telephones are becoming more prominent," Kai. told Mr. Jin.

"Yes, I think they will become popular enough so that every household will have one by the end of the next century," Mr. Jin agreed.

Luhan pretended to be interested in a pamphlet that was on the table in front of him. He was focused on the conversation so he didn‘t even know what the pamphlet was about.

Mr. Jin stood at the table next to him, and Jongin was smiling as he talked to the older man.

"My company offers an investment in a telephone utility stock that you might be interested in," Jongin stated.

"Mr. Xi offers that type of stock as well," Mr. Jin replied. "I‘ve had good returns on my investments with him."

"Perhaps you would be interested in combining the utilities. Telephones aren‘t the only utility available. There is also water and electricity. These are other conveniences that are quickly becoming more popular as more people use them. I offer a good percentage on your returns if you invest in the entire package."

"Mr. Xi offers a similar package."

Jongin didn‘t look too happy, though his smile never wavered. "I‘m sure he offers you a fine deal, and I hope your investments continue to make you lots of money. However, if you ever find an interest in checking out other options, I would like for you to take my business card and this pamphlet that will show you what I offer at Kim Financial Services. My father and I recently added accounting to the list of services we provide our clients. I think it‘s more convenient to take care of several services at the same place instead of having to run all over town."

"I‘ll think about it."

"Thank you for your time." Jongin shook his hand and walked across the room.

"Will you be taking a vacation to China?" the man in front of Luhan asked. His name tag read Taemin.‘

Luhan looked up at the eighteen year old travel agent. "I haven‘t been there before," he slowly replied. He took a good look at the pamphlet in front of him. The blue paper highlighted the attractions in China.

"China is a beautiful country," Taemin eagerly nodded. "It‘s worth checking out at least once in your life, especially in the fall when the leaves change color. If you‘d like, I could arrange for your transportation and lodging. If you pay for both, I can save you 10% off the total price."

Luhan had no inclination to go to China so he politely declined.

"Well, you can keep the pamphlet in case you change your mind," Taemin offered.

Luhan thanked him and casually walked around some tables before he came to another table that was next the one Mr. Choi was checking out. Mr. Choi owned the other accounting firm in town. Since Huang Zi Tao‘ accounting firm went out of business, Mr. Choi was the Kims‘ remaining competitor in the accounting business.

Kai was talking to Mr. Choi who was looking through a brochure for office furniture. "My father and I would be interested in merging our accounting firms together," Jongin said.

Mr. Choi finally closed the brochure, crossed his arms and looked Jongin in the eye. "Yes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter