Twenty

My Cold Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

In the morning the next day, Seohyun went to visit Heran. She was surprised to see Yuri and Mrs. Song there. Mrs. Song had brought her four sons over. She occasionally brought her children over so the nursing home residents could enjoy talking to them.

“What are you doing here?” Heran asked. “Shouldn‘t you be enjoying your honeymoon?”

“Don‘t worry, Heran. We won‘t be getting an annulment.” Seohyun blushed as she recalled the way she and Luhan had made that official.

“If that‘s true, then what are you doing back?” Yuri wondered.

“Mr. and Mrs. Nam turned out to be difficult people,” Seohyun replied.

Heran cleared . “You should show her your baby,” she told Mrs. Song. “Who knows, Seohyun? You could be pregnant this very instant and not know it.”

Seohyun shook her head. “Really, Heran. Isn‘t it enough that I‘ve consummated my marriage?”

“Would you like to hold him?” Mrs. Song offered.

“Yes, I would.” Seohyun took the baby and smiled at him.

“Did you hear about Yoogeun?” Mrs. Song asked her.

“No.” Seohyun felt her blood turn cold. “What happened to him?” She couldn‘t bring herself to ask if he was sick, or worse.

“Yesterday afternoon when the children were playing outside, he ran into the street. A man happened to be driving a horse buggy and didn‘t see him jump under it. Yoogeun‘s alright but his ankle got crushed. He‘ll have to go through life with a limp but he should be able to walk without a cane if he receives the proper help.”

“Is he in the hospital?”

“No,” Mrs. Song answered. “He stayed at the orphanage. He‘s still there if you want to see him. I‘m sure he could use some cheering up.”

“I‘ll come with you,” Yuri offered.

Seohyun handed the baby back to his mother, said good-bye and walked to the orphanage with Yuri. An idea came to her. “Yuri, are you doing anything for the next two hours?”

“No, I don‘t have any plans. Do you have something in mind?”

“I was wondering if you would like to try one of Kyungsoo‘s pizzas again? It would be a good snack before dinner.”

“He does make good pizzas. Alright.”

They passed by a baby furniture and clothing store and Seohyun paused. “I wonder if Luhan would be willing to adopt Yoogeun.”

“I think he‘d be willing to, especially considering the fact that his uncle adopted him.”

Yuri‘s words broke Seohyun out of her thoughts of what kind of crib and toys to buy Yoogeun. “Speaking of Yoogeun, we should go see him.”

 

 

Two hours later, Luhan decided to go to his office. If he guessed right, his uncle would be there and he could explain the promise he made to Seohyun the night before. To his surprise, his uncle had been there the entire night and was carefully double checking all of their documents so they wouldn‘t face the same situation that Mr. Seo, Mr. Huang and Mr. Lee had.

Luhan walked into his uncle‘s office. “Don‘t you ever sleep?”

Cheng stopped reviewing the papers in front of him and looked at his nephew. “You weren‘t supposed to come back for another week. What‘s wrong?”

A grin crossed his face. “Nothing. Well, there was that catastrophe at the Nams‘ house, but Seohyun and I won‘t be getting an annulment.”

“That explains the foolish smile on your face. But what happened with the Nams?”

Luhan sat down and placed his briefcase on the floor. “Where do you want me to start?” When his uncle didn‘t answer, he continued, “Jongin. was there at the Nam residence, which I didn‘t find out until about five in the morning when he knocked on my bedroom door. And he spent the day with me and Mr. Nam. We sat for twelve hours in that forest because that persnickety old man didn‘t find the deer that he wanted. Apparently, the animal had to be just right or he wasn‘t interested, and he found something wrong with every single deer that popped up. Then I had a fistfight with Jongin and decided I had enough so I left and went back to his house. Apparently, Mrs. Nam refused to be hospitable to Seohyun because Seohyun accidently broke a vase.”

The older man took a moment to absorb all the information. Finally, he said, “Don‘t worry about Mr. Nam. There are other clients, and as long as we keep a close eye on our paperwork, we should be alright. But you and Seohyun are alright?”

“Yes, but I promised her that I wouldn‘t go on any more weekend or overnight trips to a client‘s house. I told her I would work regular business hours and only give or attend dinner parties.”

His uncle nodded. “For now on, if there‘s an emergency meeting, I‘ll go to it, and if the client wants you there, I‘ll have to make it clear that your priorities lie with your wife, which is exactly where they should be. I‘ve been putting a lot of pressure on you to bend over backwards for our clients. As of this very minute, that‘s changing. If you tell Seohyun you‘re going to do something, do that before you do anything else. Always put her before work. Take it from me. You don‘t want to end up forty-three and only have a pile of papers on your desk to show for those years you spent on Earth.”

Luhan watched as his uncle returned to his paperwork. For the first time, he saw his uncle in a new light. He‘d always thought of his uncle as a businessman and a father. But now, he realized his uncle longed for a good woman, just as he had. Not knowing what to say, he picked up his briefcase and left his uncle‘s office.

The bell above the front door rang and Yuri and her father walked into the building with a basket.

“Hello, Mr. Xi,” Yuri greeted when she saw him.

Luhan didn‘t hide his surprise that they were there. “Good morning.”

“I just saw Seohyun. I‘m sorry about the Nams.”

Luhan shrugged. “Not all clients are logical.”

Cheng walked out of his office and walked over to them. “I thought I heard some familiar voices,” he greeted. “Good morning, Mr. Kwon, Miss Kwon.”

Luhan noticed Yuri blush. “Good morning, Mr. Xi.”

“We heard you‘ve been stuffed up in here since yesterday afternoon and wanted to know if you could use a break,” Mr. Kwon explained. “Yuri made a lunch.”

“I just made the coffee cake. The cook did the rest,” she clarified.

Luhan grinned. He suspected that his uncle and Yuri got along very well when they played billiards at the restaurant, but he hadn‘t thought anything would come of it. Apparently, her father approved of the match or else he wouldn‘t have offered to act as their chaperone.

“That is very thoughtful of you,” Cheng replied. “I could use a break. Luhan, will you be joining us?”

“No. I need to take care of some work.” He motioned to his briefcase and went to his office.

 

 

Three hours later, Seohyun led Yuri to her home so Yuri could meet Kyungsoo. But even as her thoughts were on matchmaking, she couldn‘t get her mind off of Yoogeun. She had mentally planned out exactly what Yoogeun‘s bedroom would look like and when she would take him to the park so he could play. Though he wouldn‘t be running, she could help him adjust to walking with assistance, though for the time being, he would be in a stroller. Of course, that was if Luhan agreed to adopt him. She really shouldn‘t jump to conclusions, and yet, she had a feeling that Luhan would be happy to adopt him.

When they reached her home, Seohyun opened the door and motioned for Yuri to follow her. “From the smell of it, I think Kyungsoo is making another apple cinnamon pizza for dessert. Kris is partial to those. When I first got here, I didn‘t think those two would ever get along, but they‘re like old friends. Even when Kyungsoo accidentally drops something, Kris doesn‘t mind anymore. He just laughs the whole thing off. It‘s a much nicer environment.”

“That‘s good news.” Yuri handed her the hat she was wearing.

After Seohyun put their hats away, they went into the kitchen. She noticed that it was only Sulli and Kyungsoo in the kitchen. “Sulli, are you actually cooking?”

“I thought I would give it a try,” she said. “Good afternoon, Mrs. Xi, Miss Kwon.”

“Where are Baekhyun and Kris?”

“They‘re at the grocery store picking out the menu for Wednesday evening.”

“Isn‘t that th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter