The Past

The Dancing Boy

Kriiiiiiiiiiiing.

The resounding sound of the bell was hollering in every inches of the wall in the building. It was 4 in the afternoon, the bright sun was came down from it's throne and hid behind the clouds. The warm breeze was blowing and birds were chirping here and there welcoming the new bloomed flowers, it was spring in 2007.

Sound of chairs scretching the floor could be heard as the students were now flooding the hallway and hurriedly gone out from the suffocating building that held them since the dawn. Some of them were ready to go home, some were running to the football field, or to the library and the dance studio.

"Ouch, excuse me.. Sorry.. Thank you.." an 16 years old boy walked through the crowded corridor in hurry, bumping everyone around him in process. He was keep walking ignoring the people glaring at him. He was in hurry, not because he was late for his dance practice but worried that he missed to walk his favorite noona to her ballet class.

"Ah, finally." as he arrived at a more quite part of the school. "Noona!" he shouted as he saw a girl with dark brown hair tied up in a high bun, walking with few other girls around her. She wore the same uniform as the other, but to him, she was the most stunning girl that he ever saw. No, not because her long white legs, nor her curves that shown by her tight uniform. But from the passion that she had for dancing.

She was a ballerina. Everyone knew that she was one hell tallented ballerina. She won many competition since she was in elementary school. The way she walked, the way she turned, the way she leaped and twirled, it was all gracefull. And he fell for her since day one he saw her, on the year opening ceremony. it was a year ago. Since then, he has been trying to get close to her.

"Noona." he called her again and walked closer.

She felt that someone was walking to her side as she saw his shadow. She knew who it was and she purposedly didn't turn to him when he called earlier, acting like she didn't heard him. But now he was here, beside her, she couldn't ran away.

"Oh, hi Howon. Didn't see you there." she faked a smile as she talked to him.

"Really? I called you twice and you didn't turn." he said innocently.

"Well I'm sorry, I said I didn't know you're there, didn't I?" she tried to hid her aggravation. She could hear her friends snickering and murmuring beside her. "You girls go first, I'll be there in a minute." her friends left her with mocking faces made her rolled her eyes.

"That's fine. Are you going to the studio?" he didn't realized the annoyance in her voice but he could felt the underestimating look that her friends gave him.

"Yes." she simple answer.

"I'll walk you there."

"Err, you don't need too, Howon-ah."

"But I want to. Here, let me help you." he said as he took her bag.

She eyed him but gave her bag and followed him with a sigh.

She hid them so well, or he was too blind too see it.

 

***

 

"So you still following her?" Seunghun asked him.

"I'm not following her, I just walked her to her class." Howon denied.

"Same thing. You walked her to her every classes, you walked her home almost everyday, even bougth her things and she never even say thanks."

They were walking to a park to meet their friends and start their routine, dancing. Yes, he was a dancer. A street dancer. He always dreamed to became a big star, he liked to perform, he enjoyed people cheering for him. But being a big star is a big dream and life will be a gambling of fortune, that's why his parents didn't approve his dream and told him to study well, go to a prestige university, graduate and work like his father and older brother.

No one support him. No one beside him.

Except his fellow dancers.

"It's not true, Seunghun."

"It's been a year, Howon. Do you even know if she wanted you to walk her or not?"

"She never said anything."

"Doesn't that meant that she's annoyed?"

"She always said anything in her mind, I guess she'll tell me if she annoyed of me or not."

"Whatever. Just get the music started." Seunghun threw his bag and got ready to dance.

Howon the music and streched his muscles as he saw Seunghun dancing. His word lingering on his mind.

 

***

 

Days passed, weeks were gone and Howon still do what he usually done, walked his Noona to her classes. Whenever he talked to her, she sent her friends away. Whenever he called her, she picked up. She never rejected him, or so he tought.

He saw so many other boys tried to get her attention, some were even took her out for dates, she never said no to those invitation. He knew that he had many competitors to win her heart, but as long as she didn't say no to him, he would keep trying. He was so determined of what he was doing.

It was friday, he was on his way to her class, ready to walked her home. The corridor was crowded as usual, he walked in hurry untill he saw he figure leaned to the wall with a boy standing close to her. Too close to his taste. His pace stoped abruptly as he walked closer, trying to listening what were they talking about.

"So, you're free today?" the boy said, playing with her hair.

"It depend on what you're planning for me."

"The boys are going to go to a club tonight, maybe you and your girls should come."

"And?"

"And maybe we could have fun after that."

"After?"

"Or before? Which one you like?"

"How about before and after?"

"Sounds like a plan."

"Pick me at 6 sharp, I don't like to wait."

"Deal." the boy pecked he cheek before he left.

Howon couldn't belive what he heard. Yes, he knew she was out for dates often, but he was never saw or heard how they asked her. The noona he knew wasn't like this. She was a great and very respected girl, and saw her like this was new to him. His noona was better than that and this didn't stop him from trying.

He moved slowly from where he hid and walked to his noona like there was nothing happened.

"Noona, you're here." he tried to sound shocked.

Her head turned to him the second she heard her voice, "Oh hi, didn't heard you coming." her voice sound relaxed, like she used to this.

"Are you going home?" he asked.

"Yeah."

"Want me walk you home?" this is the first time he felt unsure of what he was doing.

"Actually no, I'm going out with my mom today." she lied.

"Uh, okay then." he rubbed the back of his neck, no sure what to do,

"I'm going now, bye." she said, not wating any second.

"Be carefull, noona." he said but she didn't heard him as she flew away to the crowd.

 

***

 

"She's going for a date." Howon said to Seunhyun as they both sit in the park, all sweat and panting after a dance battle and now watching their friends doing another battle a few feet from them.

"So? It's not something new." Seunghun said as he downing a bottle of water.

"She's going to a club."

"How do you know?"

"I over heard them." Howon frowned.

"Now that's new." Seunghun calmly said and straightened his legs. "So what are you going to do about it?"

"What can I do?"

"I know she's not right for you, I told you, you just never listened."

"She's not like this." Howon insisted, trying to tell himself that his noona wasn't that kind of girl.

"You don't know her. She's a mystery to you." Seunghun only shook his head, "you should more concern about your audition, Howon-ah."

"What audition?"

"JYP audition! Now look what she've done to you, you don't even remember anything." Seunghun sighed, "she did notheng good to you, do you realize that?"

Howon could only silent and thought about what Seunghun said. He was his best friend since forever, and he knew that Seunghun wouldn't tell a lie.

 

 

***

 

The weeks passed torturingly slow for Howon. He never stoped thinking about what happened that day and what Seunghun said. He still done his dance routine even he was eliminated from JYP audition last week, this past week had been hard for him with his parents kept pushing him to stop dancing and trew away his impossible dream. The day was too hot and his mind was clouded, he was on the verge of frustated. And he wanted to talked to his noona.

On the his way down to the stairs, he heard a loud girls laugh going up, his stoped his steps and leaned to a wall. He could hear his noona's voice and going to showed up before he heard her friend asked her.

"I heard Howon got rejected on an audition." girl 1 said.

"Really? I knew it! He's not good enough." girl 2 commented.

"Did he said anything to you?" the girl 1 asked.

"Nope, he didn't said anything." now it was his noona.

"Maybe he realized that he was not good enough for you." the girl 2 said.

From where he stood, Howon could see the three girl walking to his direction.

"Maybe, it took him long enough." his noona said. "like seriously, he's just a street dancer!"

"Right! I wonder what makes you survive for a whole year."

"Well, he's a good and loyal pet. He did what I told him to, and I like attention." his noona laughed confidently, didn't realized that the boy they have been talking about was listening their conversation.

Howon's mind couldn't be more messed up. The noona he cherished the most, the noona he'd been looked up to was talking bad about him. He never knew what he did wrong to her, all he did was care and be there for her, even when she didn't need him. He just wanted her to know that he loved her and could do whatever she wanted to.

The only thing he had in his mind now was to confronted her. He didn't even try to be a ninja and hid his steps. Hearing a footsteps, the girls turned their heads to Howon. Their faces were shocked, eyes widened, jaws droped.

"Howon, since when.. how.. did you.." his noona stuttered and looked at her friends, looking for help.

Her friends though, looked at each other and backed away slowly and ran, leaving Howon with his noona.

"So I'm just your pet?" Howon asked her.

"Since when did heard us?"

"Don't change the subject and just answer me." his tone was dark.

"Come on Howon, you know that we're not a couple. Why do you even care?" his noona deffended herself.

"So it's true.." Howon took a deep breath, "do you even know how I love you? Do you know you're the one  I look up to? Do you know that I'll do anything for you?" he kept his voice down, didn't want to attract any unwanted attention.

"Lee Howon.." his noona sounded nervous.

"And you were just blew up my mind with those things you said." he shook his head, "you done great, noona. Absolutely great!" he didn't wait for her answer and just walked away.

That very moment, he made his desicion. He would focused on his dance and training harder. He would spend all the time he had to reached his goal, even if it meant he should leave this school or even Busan. He would persued his dream and prove to everyone that ever doubted him that his dream was possible. And he wouldn't come back untill he was succeed.