Chapter 5

Letters To Heaven

 

Two weeks later, a wheelchair-bounded teenage boy was found gazing at Sulli's grave, a solemn look on his face. He had a bitter smile resting on his lips and beige curls that framed his delicate facial features filled with agony. 
 
Heaving a deep sigh, he wiped away the tears that were threatening to fall from his eyes and gently a white envelope at her gravestone. Then, gazing at the smiling Sulli in the photo for one last time, he turned his wheelchair around and wheeled into the showers of dusk. 
 
Dear Sulli, 
 
I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. 
 
Actually, I have been alive and well all these days. Due to the accident, my legs were paralysed and I did not want to be of a burden to you. Hence, I asked my relatives to be the actors of this lie for me. If you realised, you never got to attend my "funeral" or saw me getting cremated. Those events never happened, Sulli. 
 
Your mother had passed me the blood-stained letters. Upon reading them, guilt washed over me but I guess it's all too late now. I wish I could hold you in my arms again and tell you that it's all a lie... 
 
I was a great fool, Sulli, and may you forgive me for that. You must be blaming me in heaven right? Blame me all you want, I deserve the, indeed. What I would like to say is, please continue to smile and laugh gaily like you were when you were still by my side. Enjoy and appreciate life (in another world) like how you used to on earth. 
 
I am now unable to fulfil my dream of singing and dancing. But rest assure, that I will certainly fulfil yours for you. A cafe by the Vernice River, selling the best macchiatos... Be expectant of it! It will be a blast among customers there, I promise. And this time, I will not break my promise again. 
 
You were my angel on earth, now, you are my angel on heaven. Take care of yourself, while I reminisce over the days when we had together. I will love you forever, and ever. 
 
Love, 
Taemin
 
*Many years later, Sulli smiled in heaven as she saw the grand opening of the cafe. Looking at that one single macchiato on the table in the corner, Sulli whispered "I can taste it, oppa, it will certainly melt others' heart on a chilly winter day. I love you, oppa." And her whispers became the gentle breeze, planting gentle kisses on Taemin's cheeks. Looking up at the sky, Taemin grinned and went back serving the customers. All will be well with eternal love engraved in their hearts.*