I Hope

Even If It Hurts

There are two kinds of people in this world: those who speak and those who listen. Some are born to speak, leaving memories behind of their voices and thoughts. Others are born to listen, leaving impressions of thoughtfulness and a feeling of placid.

Lee Hongki was a speaker at home but a listener to the public.

"Anyeong, sarang." Hongki walked into his living room straight from his slumber. His hair was ruffled, his pajamas were a mess, and his eyes were still closed. He did this unknowingly. "Taeyeon-ah, did you sleep well?"

Taeyeon is Hongki's mannequin. It's not a creepy gesture, more like a token to remember his parents. After they decided to retire in America, his mother, a successful tailor, left a mannequin for her son to keep him company while he protested that he liked living alone. She named the silent companion in the hopes of giving "her" more of a personality. To add even more of an image, she put a burgandy wig onto the mannequin, styling it delicately as if "she" cared about her image. The mannequin stands in the corner of Hongki's living room to this day, having never left his presense for over two years.

"Ahh, I see you're going to be quiet today." Hongki joked with his companion. He secretly hoped that if Taeyeon could reply, she'd laugh at his jokes because they really were funny not like his secret admirers who laughed just to make him notice. "Taeyeon-ah, I have a new song. Would you like to hear?"

Taeyeon stood motionless beside her neighbor, Hongki's piano.

"I'll play it for you before I make breakfast, arasso?" Hongki smiled. He shook his head in the slightest to move his blond hair out of his eyes. He sat at the piano and smiled at his companion.

"A day passed and a month passed
but I did not hear from you.
My tears fall and my heart burns.
This is not it, it's only temporary.
This is not gonna be it, this is not gonna be it.
This is not gonna be it. Don't try to cheer me up.
The empty space you left only gets bigger.

I see you again and you, you are my love.
I see you hundred times and I, I am your love.
You are my match made in heaven.
You took the wrong path, that's all.
Even if I am born again, I only want you.
Even if I love again, I only want you.
You will come back, you will come back.
Because without you, there is no me.

You said you love me
and where did you leave abandoning me?
My two hands that you held and our promise
how could you leave throwing me away and breaking it?

This must be a dream, this must be a dream.
This must be a dream, don't fool me.
I hate how I'm left alone..."

Hongki grinned, letting his fingers slip away from the piano keys. "Quite depressing, but very hopeful, yes?" He looked at Taeyeon who stood beside him.

"Wahh, you love it?" Hongki pretended. "Komawo, sarang! Saranghae!" He kissed the mannequin's cheek and ran off to make his meal.