Returned

It started on 25th december

 The sky was dyed in dark blue; Mai was walking down the path from the train station. She glanced that the black concrete posts that were beautifully lined up equally beside her. She let out a sigh. Now, I am walking towards the uncertain future. Nostalgic memories then flashes into her mind.

                                     

Shadows were cast by the orange light. The sky was painted red, returning from school at 5.30 in the afternoon, the smiles when we walked home together is still etch in my heart.

 

Mai smiled, her memory is like it was just yesterday when she was with her childhood friend, walking home together from school.

 

Mai look up to the night sky, she gaze that the starry sky and mumble to herself, “ The stars here are so clear, I cannot count them like I could in the city…Sigh, I wonder how long I have I not see them…”  Mai took in a deep breath and hastened her footsteps.

 

After some time, the sight of the mini mart could be seen. Mai smiled, running and pulling her luggage closes behind her. She craned her neck and peeped through the glass but she could see were packets of instant noodles. They were totally blocking her view. She moved closer to her right to get the right position to peek inside.

 

Then, “Beep peep… Beep peep…” Mai jumped. The ‘greeting’ sound shocked her out of her skin. She did not realized that she was moving too close to the mini mart’s door that the laser ‘caught’ her and release the sound.

 

The lady from the cashier turned and looked to Mai’s direction.  She widened her eyes, agape but then it disappeared by a wide smile.

 

She then screamed Mai’s name so loud that Mai thought that her ears are going to explode. Mai bowed as the lady approach her.

 

“Mai-chan! How come you are here? When are you back? How come you did not inform me?” The lady pouted, but her action is actually not suitable for her age at all.

 

“Aunt Sawa, I’m back!” Mai grinned.

 

“It is no use to tell me now! If you were to tell me earlier, I can cook a lot a lot of food for you!” Aunt Sawa shouted with her high-pitched voice.

 

Mai replied with laughing. Mai still think that Aunt Sawa look like she is in her early 30s when she is in her 40s. Some people might think that Aunt Sawa is Mai’s sister.

 

Suddenly, a tall figure with a familiar face appeared behind Aunt Sawa. Mai’s and his eyes met, at first he look a bit surprised but he then smirked.

 

“Taro! See who is back!”  Aunt Sawa said, pointing at Mai.

 

“Yeah, the shorty.” Taro said, smiling. Upon seeing the shorter girl expression, he laughed.

 

“Need not to say! You used to be shorter than me!” Mai retorted.

 

“Haha, but I am now taller!”

 

Mai remained silence as she could not find anymore excuse.

 

Aunt Sawa then started talking, “So you are going to your grandma’s house?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Taro go and send her. Mai-chan come over tomorrow, I will cook lots and lots of your favourite food!” Aunt Sawa yelled in elation.

 

“Sigh… So troublesome.” Taro grumbled despite getting the bicycle lending against the wall of the mini mart.

 

Mai grinned. He is still the same. Such a bad liar.

 

“Jump on!” Taro said to Mai.

 

“Hai!” Mai shouted . “See you tomorrow! Aunt Sawa!” She waved to the lady before getting on to the bicycle.

 

-…-

 

The night ‘s breeze was cold, the sound of the bicycle echoed. Mai gazed at the familiar view that passed her.

 

“Mai, is there something you want to tell me? I know that it is not school’s holiday now. Not even in the city.”

 

“Ha, you caught me. Yeah, I am skipping school.”

 

“Why? Don’t tell me you got dumped or you got bullied? Kidding.”

 

“You are right. I am being bullied”

 

-…-

 

The bicycle suddenly came to a halt. The person in front of mai stood up, turned and looked at her.

 

“You serious?” Taro asked in a serious tone. Looking into Mai’s eyes.

 

Mai could not find her voice so she nodded instead. Her feelings suddenly came back to haunt her. Seeing Mai’s respond, he pats Mai’s head.

 

“B-but in is not that serious, I just got bullied this morning and runaway here. I am just a coward. There are more people in this world that suffered more than me in bullying but they will not runaway.” Mai cried, tears streaming down her cheeks.

 

“It is alright. You will ne alright. You are just too tired. You will feel better if you sleep. Just forget all the bad memories and calm down,  Kay? You will regain yourself tomorrow.” In a gentle tone, taro comforted her.

 

“Thanks. You are right. I am too stressed… I will be okay. I will Let’s go now, I am cold..” Mai tried to smile.

 

Taro smiled, he then get on the bicycle and continue to peddle.

 

Upon reaching Mai’s house, She get off the bicycle and bowed. “Thank you so much. I will see you tomorrow.”

 

“Be sure to sleep well! Don’t think too much! I will se you tomorrow!” Taro makes a turn before peddling away.

 

Mai stared at the fading figure before ringing the doorbell.