Chapter Seven

Is this a dream or reality?

 

From my point of view, Sica looked really cute, running around in a dress and heels in a park at  night, with that big smile on her face at the sight of balloons, in different shapes and colors.

"Yah, slow down," I breathed. "You might slip."

It seemed like Jessica Jung was 7 years old again tonight. She only continued running as if she didn't hear me, her eyes twinkled at the sight of colorful things and she always had a big smile on her face.

"Yah," I said again. "Jung Sooyeon, slow down!"

This time, she listened, and stopped. She looked at her hand, still holding my wrist, to my face and then she let go. "Sorry."

"For what?"

"I dunno, for going too fast?" she joked. We both laughed and she ended her laugh with an unsure look on her face.

"What's wrong?"

She placed her index and middle finger on her lip and then she gestured for us to walk to the man again. We took about 5 steps, until she spoke again.

"Well, I haven't told anyone about this but--," she hesitated and then she finally gave in with a bog, heavy sigh. "It's just that no one has called me that in a long time. Come to think of it, the only people who call me that is my family and I haven't seen them for a long time already."

She looked down on the cold, shining pavement sadly.

I studied her face and I think I knew exactly what she needed.

“Come on,” I said and grabbed her hand gently.

We finally reached the man with balloons and I let go of her hand. “Which one do you want?”

Sica’s mood seemed to lighten a little bit. She showed interest at the balloons and she picked wisely. “Erm... Maybe I’ll get the pink heart-shaped ones…”

“Ani!” I objected. “You’ll get that because of SNSD right?”

She nodded slowly.

“Well, how ‘bout you choose for your own this time? Let it be all about you this time. So, I’m gonna ask you again. Which one do you want?”

She seemed to know the correct answer to this already. She pointed the one she wanted. “I want that blue one that looks like an animal of some sort.”

The man took it down gladly for Sonyeosidae’s Jessica and asked me what I wanted. “I’ll take the round, blue one please.”

Sica held it for me while I paid the man. After I paid him, he asked if he could take a picture of us together. As politely as we could, we denied. As both of us knew that this could bring a scandal.

Instead, we offered to give him an autograph. We signed a balloon for him which he said was for his daughter.

“Kamsahmanida!” Jessica and I both said happily.

“So what now?” Sica said, playing with her balloon happily.

“Close your eyes. Do you trust me?”

“Ne!”

“And no peeking.”

I held her left arm with my left hand while my right hand on her back to lead her gently and safely. At last, we reached the place.

“Open.”

Sica took in a deep breath of air as she saw that we were in a playground that was illuminated by red lanterns and other pretty lights. We tied our balloon strings to a pole and we sat on the swings. Sica took her shoes off and we started playing like five year-old kids. We started getting higher and higher in the air and Sica kept telling me that we should jump at the end.

“Ani!” I laughed while cold air beat on my face. “We might get hurt!”

“Hana!”

“Mura?!”

“Dul!”

“Yah Sica! – Jung Sooyeon!!!”

“That’s not going to work Jinki!”

“Seriously?”

“Set!”

Sica jumped from her swing and so did I, in the attempt to protect her. I didn’t want her to get hurt, even if I knew there was a soft patch of grass to save us. I landed on the ground first, then her, next to me.

Surprisingly, we were both laughing.

“Aigoo, you. Gwenchana?”

“Ne,” she replied, with that cute laugh of hers.

Eventually our laughter died and we laid on the grass, gazing at the beautiful stars.