Chapter 4

Nothing's Over

       When I awoke I didn't open my eyes I just inhaled deeply to immerse myself in Dongwoo's scent. His arms were still wrapped loosely around me and I enjoyed his touch as I intertwined my fingers with his and pressed his hand tightly against my stomach. It was nice having him so close and I didn't want to move at all today, luckily it was the first day, or the first day of the seven day week that we kept from the old world traditions, which meant that I didn't work.

 

       Letting go of his hand I rolled to face him and buried my face against his chest while attempting to go back to sleep. For the record, I really did try to fall back asleep, but he embraced me and rolled onto his back forcing me to lay on him. “Sleepy?” he asked in a raspy voice as he smiled at me, his eyes just slightly open as he looked into mine.

 

       “Not anymore,” I said grimly. He ruffled a hand through my hair and laughed lightly before laying his head back down on the pillow. I could tell his eyes were closed and I wasn't about to lose this. Pushing against his chest I attempted to get up though it was useless as he was stronger than me which allowed him to keep me pinned against him for the time being, regardless of how much I struggled. “Do you have work today?”

 

       It wasn't certain that he would have today off due to the need for repairs that randomly seemed to pop up in the city, but he usually got a few days off here and there. “Why? Do you want me to stay?” Dongwoo had a cheesy smile on his face, he already knew the answer he was just being a about it; which is cute sometimes but other times I just wanna hit him.

 

       Pretending to think about it, I put a finger to my chin and looked up at the wall and away from him. “Well, I guess if you really wanted to you could stay, but I can't make any promises that it'll be any fun.” I smiled and playfully kissed his lips before trying to struggle away from his arms again. The futile effort was wearing me out but it was worth it for his response.

 

       He rolled back to the previous position and then continued further, pinning me down on the bed as he pressed his lips firmly to mine. I kissed him back and slid my hands up his shoulders around to the back of his head to play with the messy but soft locks. His hands moved down my waist to the hem of my shirt, his fingers brushing against my bare skin as they slid up past the fabric. My hands moved down to his hard chest, it was instinctive to push him away at this point but there wasn't much I could do as his lips pulled away from mine, leaving me breathless.

 

       He moved to kiss my neck, lining it lightly with his saliva before he would playfully bite at the tender skin. I tried to hold in a moan as I reminded myself to push him away. Obviously not convinced that I wanted him off of me, he continued to press further and almost left a mark before I started to panic. “Dongwoo,” I said harshly and he understood immediately and moved away from me.

 

       It wasn't that I didn't like it, the problem was that I didn't want to be forced to do anything that made me uncomfortable and he understood that and respected my wishes when it came to things like that. On the other hand I was just afraid he would leave me if something more happened in our relationship. Pushing those thoughts away I turned to face him, he looked disappointed and guilty at the same time.

 

       “I'm sorry.” I had a small voice, but I didn't want him to feel responsible.

 

       “No. I made you uncomfortable,” he was about to apologize further, so I kissed him to stop that. Shaking my head I put a finger to his lips before rolling off of the bed for my feet to touch the floor as I walked into the hallway, hanging on the doorway to look in at him looking dumbfounded while still laying there. “You little,” he started his threat as he jumped up and started for me.

 

       I quickly ran down the hall into the living room where I jumped onto the couch and tried to form an escape plan. “You're mine!” Dongwoo declared at he entered and stared me down.

 

       “Doubtful,” I retorted. He got closer and attempted to grab me before I jumped from the couch and aimed for the hall once again. That's when he got me, pulling me to the floor to wrestle for a minute before we just laid there, both of us too worn out and lazy to try anything more. “Forever?” I asked the simple question to his previous claim, hoping he would understand without an explanation.

 

       Though as usual he didn't. “Hmm?” he asked while looking down into my eyes. Dongwoo had propped himself up on his elbow and loosely had his other arm wrapped around me.

 

       “Am I yours forever?” I reworded my lazy question to be recognized as something with actual meaning. He caressed my face then and kissed me softly.

 

       “Always and forever, no matter what,” he said. “Unless you want someone else to claim you.” He smiled teasingly and laughed, I joined him for a moment before rolling up off of the floor at the sound of a knock at the door.

 

       I headed straight for it, but Dongwoo was faster and kept me behind the door as he opened it and looked at who was at my doorstep. “Good, you are here,” the voice sounded young and male, I didn't know who it was but I assumed it was an associate of Dongwoo's.

 

       “I'm supposed to be off today.” He seemed slightly cross at the appearance of the unexpected visitor.

 

       “I know and I'm sorry but it's in the upper district and you deal with those people better than anyone else. Hey, is this your girlfriend's house.” I pulled around the door to face the boy while standing behind Dongwoo, I wrapped my arms around his waist and planted my chin on his shoulder as I peered down at the worker. “That's why you never want to work, she is pretty,” I immediately blushed and hid behind my boyfriend.

 

       “Watch it,” Dongwoo was firm with his instruction, “I'll be there in a bit. What are we working on?”

 

       The boy scoffed slightly while looking away from the more experienced worker and started to mumble. “The Palace,” he seemed to be referring to the place where the ruler of the dystopia lived along with his family - which meant: Sungkyu.

 

       Dongwoo shrugged with a sigh. “Alright – but it better be worth it.” He didn't seemed pleased at all but that should be a good thing because it means that he's not pleased with leaving me to do something that he loves; the thought made me happy. He turned to me with a crestfallen expression. “Sorry, I'll come back tonight okay, and I'll make dinner.” As if he needed to make up for it or something he picked my face up with his fingers and kissed me lightly with an apologetic expression left behind.

 

       “Why don't I come with you?” I asked hurriedly not exactly wanting to be away from him.

 

       Dongwoo was shocked for a moment as he looked from my hand, which I noticed that I had hooked to his arm, up to my face to see if I was serious. “You sure?” he seemed uncertain of my enthusiasm. I nodded with a smile and hugged his arm to lean into him. “Alright as long as you don't cause any trouble,” he smiled and lightly tapped my nose with his index finger.

 

 

 

       We had arrived without any problems and I sat on the side lines and watched as Dongwoo directed the other workers. He would tell them when to get a cement block or wood and watch as they put it on. He would occasionally help but he was instructed to be the supervisor for the day which was something that he did well, he was good at his job without being too harsh or bossy and the other workers seemed to like him and would even tease or joke with him. All was going great and I was enjoying myself despite the lack of anything to do... Or at least it seemed that way until I saw the only face I thought I would be able to avoid for the rest of my life.

 

       “Hey, aren't you all supposed to go on a break sometime?” Sungkyu asked as he descended from the stairs and observed the sweaty and tired workers. I stared at his approaching form, wondering why he what he was doing there. Didn't he have other, royal duties to do?

 

       “Breaks are being regulated,” Dongwoo said with a strange commanding voice of authority.

 

       “Well, no workers overwork themselves in my city so I would suggest that you send these men to the dinning room for the lunch that has been prepared.” Most of the men seemed relieved and started to take off their gloves to head in that direction but only stopped to look at Dongwoo for the okay.

 

       Dongwoo looked angry but only looked at the men and nodded, caring more about them than his pride. He walked away from Sungkyu and over towards me. “Enjoy your meal and eat as much as you like,” Sungkyu encouraged to each worker and nodded as they passed by. “Jang Dongwoo, right?” he called in his direction. “You're in charge today, right?” he started walking towards the other man.

 

       “Yeah and why do you care?”

 

       I stood up next to him and he stood rather defensively not exactly letting Sungkyu see me, not that I wanted him to.

 

       “Well they seem to look up to you and I have been watching the progress from my window.” He looked back and pointed up towards his room. “You worked just as hard as anyone else, you should eat as well.” He was being polite and formal to keep up his image. I wished he wouldn't, it would make it so much easier to not like him.

 

       “I'm fine,” Dongwoo turned towards me and grabbed my hand, pulling me away from the area. “I don't want to talk to him. It'll make me angry,” he whispered to me, a small smile on his face. He wasn't over the incident and that was probably all he was thinking about.

 

       “Well, can I ask your girlfriend something real quick?” Sungkyu called after us, we had only taken a few steps. I assumed he knew who I was and that it would upset Dongwoo to talk to me.

 

       “Sure,” he called back while giving me a stern look, I shook my head with my eyes wide, I didn't want to talk to Sungkyu, well not under these circumstances at least. He just nodded towards Sungkyu and then looked away from me while letting go of my hand. I sighed and walked towards Sungkyu and waited.

 

       “Who do you think kisses better?” he asked as if it was a normal everyday question. I could only feel my jaw drop at his arrogance as I froze in place. I barely felt Dongwoo grab my hand and pull me away from there and down a few streets before we stopped. I was still in shock and couldn't move from where I stood as I continued to look down at my feet.

 

       “Go home. I'll see you later.” I looked up and could feel the tears stinging my eyes. I clenched my fist; I wouldn't let the tears fall. I just nodded, not wanting to upset him further as I turned away to walk to my house. He wrapped his arms around me before I got far. “I don't want you near him. I love you,” he whispered into my hair. I reached up and put my hand against his before peeling his arm away from me so I could continue walking.

 

       “I- I'll see you later,” was all I could manage to throw out of my mouth before I walked quickly away from him. It was a strange feeling, I was upset because he was upset because of Sungkyu which made me think that he didn't forgive me at all which made me even more upset and thinking about all of this just made me cry as I opened my front door and ran inside to close the door behind me before rushing to the couch to bury my face in a pillow.

 

       Why was life so difficult was all I could ask myself, maybe life was easier with Sungkyu, but life is better with Dongwoo, and now I'm conflicted because of one stupid dinner.

 

        I knew it was wrong but there was only one thing I could do to try and figure out my life. As odd as it sounded, I needed to talk to Sungkyu.