XXI

Foggy Days



Woohyun swallowed, holding back the vomit that was soon going to emerge. His eyes were b with tears, one sliding down his cheek as it dropped onto the paper in front of him. He bit his bottom lip, knowing for sure that he'd get kicked out if he let even a tiny little squeak come out. His eyes met Rina's, pleading for help. 


She shook her head and looked back down at her own paper, answering the questions with ease. 


The paper in front of him was a pre-test, and a hell of a pre-test it was. 3/4 of the questions on it were ones that a normal person would never even bother to look up the answers to and yet there Rina was, scribbling away on the sheet. 


Professor Yeon sat in the front of the classroom, watching the two in amusement. Truth be told, she had thought in the beginning that the test would trump Rina but looking at the situation right now, that is definitely not the case. 


Again, Woohyun was in a pool of snot and tears. He had dropped his rays of sunshine in the doorway the second he walked in, being oblivious to the rumors of the camp. Woohyun gently placed his pencil down in front of him as he closed his eyes. I give up, he thought to himself. Why, oh, why had he allowed Rina to pull him around like that? He was the guy after all, right? 


"Are you done, Nam Woohyun?" Professor Yeon spoke up, causing the engines in Rina's brain to momentarily stop. 


The two students looked up. 


Woohyun was about to reply before the old hag spoke up once again. "Do you want to go to a good college?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. 


He could only nod. 


"If this is all that you can handle," she began, unfolding her arms as she leaned over her desk, "then I don't think you have the capabilities to get into one, nonetheless a good university."


The words stung, and it was meant to sting. 


Rina stood up from her desk, sending a glare in the old hag's direction. "What right do you have to destroy a student's self-esteem? Aren't you here to teach students?" 


"Do you really want to be held back, darling?" Professor Yeon questioned. 


in a deep breath, she slowly breathed out to calm her nerves. "Look here," she started, "Woohyun is my friend and you have absolutely no right to bring him down like that. We signed up for this damn camp to get help, not to be badmouthed by an old hag!" 


"Rina, just sit down!" Woohyun finally found his voice to yell out. "Please," he begged. 


Scowling, she had no choice but to sink back down onto the wooden chair. 


"Read the directions carefully," was all Professor Yeon said before walking out of the room. 


Then, it finally hit Woohyun. 


The answers are within the questions.


Damn clever, that professor. The reason why Rina was easily answering all the questions was simple; she had read every single question carefully, taking note of the contents of the questions. She was finishing with ease because she took time to read all the questions. 


With a proud smirk, Woohyun set to answering all the questions. 


When time ran out, the two were dismissed from the classroom to the room where they were to be sleeping in so that Professor Yeon could grade the papers. 


"I figured it out, Rina, I figured it out! I cannot believe it was that simple!" Woohyun exclaimed, bouncing up and down. 


Rina's eyebrows creased. "What do you mean you figured it out?" 


"You didn't know?" he asked, obviously confused. "The answers to all the questions were in other questions!" 


"Were they really?" Rina gasped with eyes as round as saucers. "What? So you did the test using that? The questions were so easy though; it was common knowledge." 


Woohyun let out an exasperated groan, flopping to the ground. "Impossible! I cannot understand you at all, Rina Kim! The questions were impossible!" 


Rina scoffed as she sat down next to him. "I can't understand you! I mean, that has got to be the easiest test ever." 


"Excuse you, who in the world would even know what the a common vetch is?" 


With nothing to say, Rina could only shake her head. She looked at the clock, rather discouraged by the fact that it was only 5, and she had to stay here until 11AM. 


Hearing rustling coming from Woohyun's direction, Rina turned her head to see what the boy was up to again. 


"Want some?" he asked, holding up bread. 


Cracking a smile, Rina shook her head. "Just eat it yourself, you bastard."


With a chuckle and shrug, Woohyun stuffed the bread into his mouth. After he was finished, he patted his stomach with a cheesy grin. "You missed out on some good bread right there."


"Um, no thanks; I need brain food if I want to survive this hell hole and walk about in one piece." She stood up, smoothening out her skirt. "The old hag should be just about done grading the papers by now. Wanna come?"


Enthusiastically nodding for the first time that day, Woohyun jumped up onto his feet, stuffing the bread wrapper into his pocket. He followed right behind Rina like an obedient puppy, Usually, she would have him on his toes by now due to her short temper because he was walking with her like that but today, she didn't have time to fool around. 


Woohyun noticed her nervousness and all he could do was place a hand on her shoulder in comfort. 


The classroom: rows and rows of desks with chairs, lockers in the back of the classroom and a whiteboard in the front where the teacher's desk was, the place where they sit to stare down at the students with judgemental eyes. 


This place was the bridge between heaven and hell. 


 




Rie came downstairs with a confused look. "Where's Rina?" she asked Jong Suk. 


Shi Hoo sat up with just as a confused expression as her. "She's not home?"


"Of course she's not," Jong Suk scoffed, switching the channel on the tv, "she's at school with the Woohyun kid. She's not coming home tonight." 


Rie gasped, completely taken aback. "So that brat is making me suffer here by myself?"


Jong Suk nodded, pressing his lips together in a smirk. "You left her to suffer by herself first though, must I remind you." 


Shi Hoo shook his head. "So she wasn't kidding when she said that she was going to go to an overnight camp." 


Ryan walked into the living room with a tub of ice cream in one hand and a board game in the other. "Mom wanted to play Monopoly." 


Everyone groaned in unison, throwing their arms in the air. "We're doomed," they all muttered. 



"Well," Jong Suk quickly stood up, "Shi Hoo hyung and I aren't a part of this family 
— so I think we'll take our leave now." he announced, smiling through gritted teeth and pulling the older man up with him. Before they could get far, Mrs.Kim entered the room. 



"Where are the two of you going by yourselves?" Mrs.Kim questioned with a raised eyebrow. 


"Uh—"


"Sit your asses back down on the floor." Mrs.Kim threatened with a bright grin on her face. 


Jong Suk cursed under his breath, mentally killing Shi Hoo for dragging him along despite the events from the last game night. 


Mrs.Kim set up with the same smile plastered on her face but there was a different aura emitting from her. There was this glint in her eye and they all knew what that meant: the devil gamer has returned. "Daddy will be here soon," she announced, "so prepare yourselves." 


A cold shiver ran down their spines, making them shudder. 


"Dammit, Rina you lucky ." Jong Suk swore. 


Slap. 


"Yah, I dare you to say that again!" 


 




"Do you study well, Rina?" Professor Yeon inquired.


The girl snorted, propping her legs up on the desk in front of her. She smirked, having another staring contest with the teacher. "Does it look like I study well?" she challenged, folding her arms across her chest. 


Professor Yeon bit her bottom lip and Rina knew that it wouldn't take long before she burst. After all, she was an expert in pissing off teachers who gave her unnecessary . Rina gave her a lopsided smile, the famous glint in her eye. 


"Well, you got all the questions correct, but I don't think you figured out the trick." 


"Does the method that I used to finish the stupid test really matter to you? Did we get them all correct or did we not? Dammit woman, it's a simple yes or no!" 


Woohyun glared at Rina, holding onto her arm telling her to shut the up. Rina slapped his arm away, pulling herself away from him. Her nose was scrunched up in annoyance. 


"God, why am I even wasting my time here?" she muttered under her breath, drawing circles with her feet. 


Professor Yeon sighed, waving her hand around in the air. "Just take a seat and wait patiently; I'm going to bring you worksheets that you must solve in 15 minutes." 


Worksheets, my . They came in thick packets the size of the Bible and there was only 15 minutes to solve them all? Uh, yeah, fun. Dammit, Monopoly with mom would be so much better right now. 


The questions were simple but reading through them took twice the amount of time it took the two of them to solve one problem. What made it worse was the fact that the questions were randomized, meaning that one of them could be on Physics and the other on WWII. This was worse than the Spanish packets that she had had to complete during every break back in middle school. 


She turned her head to look at Woohyun, only to see that he had made quite a bit of progress compared to herself in which she had barely gotten past the middle of the packet. There was a sudden sharp pain in her stomach, causing her to whince in pain and want to curl up into a ball which in turn kept her from completing the packet. 


Before she knew it, 15 minutes had passed and the old hag walked into the room again with her obnoxious heels clicking against the wooden floor. 


Rina slammed her pencil down on the desk, growling under her breath. "When can we eat?" she asked with her hand raised in the air although she didn't even wait for Professor Yeon to acknowledge her question. 


Woohyun pouted, nodding along to the question. 


"After I grade this," the teacher replied. 


Scowling, Rina got up from her seat and pulled Woohyun along with her out of the classroom and into the sleeping quarters. "That Professor Yeon lady is not scary; she's a ing annoying !" 


Woohyun frowned, pursing his lips in distaste. "You're a girl; stop using so much profanity in your sentences! Act like a woman, Rina." he chided. 


"Don't tell me what to do, Nam Woohyun." she sneered. 


Shaking his head, Woohyun pulled out his sleeping back and laid down on it, not bothering to the thing. With his eyes closed he told Rina, "Wake me up when Professor Yeon is done." 


Rina smirked, exiting the room. Yeah right. 



 


This chapter was supposed to be a lot longer,
but I got lazy. 
Happy Easter.

"Jesus isn't here!
He has been raised from death.
Remember that while he was in Galilee,
he told you,
'The Son of Man will be handed over to sinners
who will nail him to the cross.
But three days later he will rise to life.'"
-Luke 24:6-7