The Basket

The woman in the shack

 

It was bright and the sun was shining that morning, and it was still damp out from the previous night. The old woman got up out of her rocking chair and gently laid down a small night-gown she was knitting on the small wooden table next to her chair. She slowly crept over to the front porch and picked up the watering can she had filled the day before, and opened the door. Looking down in amazement there was a small woven basket with a beautiful quilt gently placed on the top. The old woman bent down and ever-so-slightly lifted the top corner of the basket. To her surprise, it was a small infant, barely a month old. She picked the basket up with ease and brought the child into her dwelling.

 

The woman placed the wet and cold child onto her counter in the kitchen and quickly moved to the sink, running lukewarm water she gently caressed the baby’s head and laid it up to her shoulder. The woman reached for a cloth and rinsed it in the water. The baby shivered when the warm cloth was placed on its back, and a calm, faint cry could be heard. The woman, still holding the small infant, walked over to the wooden table by the rocking chair and picked up the night-gown she had made earlier. She placed it over the child’s head and walked to her room. She placed the child in her bed and the child’s head with a warm smile.

 

 ‘’ Goodnight little girl.’’ 

 

 

 

{sorry for the short chapter >.< The next ones will be longer ~(^3^)~ <3 

Please comment and subscribe}