CHAPTER 3: WANNA BET?

ONE TRUE LOVE

 

AUTHOR’S POV:

The bell rang signaling that it’s time for their recess. Mr. Jang collected all the papers, finish or not finish. They all headed towards the cafeteria. Upon entering the café, students give way to them. They even let them get their foods first, without letting them take the line. After they get their meal, they sit down on their usual spot reserved only just for them. Whoever mistakenly sits down there, they have to pay or else would end up being bullied. It was Lai who implemented that rule.

“Hey, Yoona, nice dress!” Jessica praised the girl who passed by their table who’s wearing a knitted dress.

“Thank you, Sica” Yoona bowed and smiled at her “my Mom knit this for me, if you want, I can give you one”.

“Ah, really? Can I?” said Jessica faking a smile to poor Yoona. The girl just nod her head, excused herself and marched to her friends adjacent to where the three’s place.  They even heard Yoona’s chuckled as she was relating that the three wants a knitted dress. Dara, Sohee and Jessica just laughed at Yoona’s silliness.

“That knitted dress is so yesterday” Dara quietly said to the two and offensively sniggered.

“I know, right!” Jessica supplemented while gazing to the girl who’s approaching them “loser on 12:00 o’clock” she notified the two who were checking up Sohee’s text messages. Both move their head together to perceive who Jessica was seeing.

They spotted a petite lady surrounded by few young men two tables away from where they are. And from the looks of it, she is enjoying the attention that the guys are giving her.

“Ahhh, such an attention- seeker beyotch!” Jessica whined while Dara and Sohee patted their friend’s back, reminding her to calm down.

“Easy, Sica” Dara advised.

“She’s such a ! A boyfriend snatcher!”

Dara and Sohee looked at each other. They couldn’t believe what Jessica had just said. All this time, she couldn’t move on to what had happened a year ago. She used to have a lover but one day she caught Sulli flirting with him. But it didn’t circulate in their school. The boy transferred in another school and Sulli is still a dust on Jessica’s eyes.

“I thought you’re already moved on, Sica” Sohee butted in “Why so bitter?”

“I am. Really!” she defended “It’s just that every time I see that Sulli, I want to pull her hair!” she said while acting like she was pulling someone’s hair “And see that? She enjoys when guys flocked around her. Such a flirt!”

“On what I’ve heard, she wasn’t the one who flirted with your ex first, it was him”

“Are you siding with her now, Dee?”

“I’m not but have you ever asked him about what really happened? You haven’t, right? You just jumped into conclusion that she flirted with him, that she was the one who had the motives”.

“Whatever, Dara!” Jessica replied angrily “Enough of her. I won’t waste my precious time on her”

Sohee and Dara just dropped the topic instead they talk about the latest fashion style, beauty products, weekend pampering plans and gadgets. And they also talk about BOYS.

“Hyunseung really likes you, Dara. Why don’t you give him a chance?” Jessica opened up.

“He just likes me because he just wants me to display to his friends just like any other guys here in school” she lamented pouting.

“He’s a good catch though!”

“Jessica, if you like him, then go and hook up with him” she annoyingly replied. Sohee is just listening to the two and not really minding the subject.

“Seriously, Dee, any guy here is dying to be with you!”

“I know that. I can make them mine if I want to. Remember, what Dara wants, Dara gets!” she proudly declared.

“Really?” Jessica asked while looking at the guy who was silently staring at them for minutes already.

“R-E-A-L-L-Y! Really!” Dara emphasized each letters of the word to make it clear and vivid on Jessica’s ear.

“Then make that guy be yours in 21 days” Jessica pointed the guy by pouting her lips. Confused, Sohee and Dara eyed who was Jessica’s referring to.

“Kwon Jiyong? Seriously?” raised Dara.

“Yes, Kwon Jiyong” Jessica gave her a grin and wink “make him yours, Dee! It’ll be easy since he has loved you silently since 7th grade”

“But… but…he’s not really talking to me since freshman year!” she protested.

“Oh, I thought you can make every guy here be yours anytime you like, you just said that” Jessica said and rolled her eyes.

“For how many days again?”

“21 days”… Jessica repeated “and oh, after making him yours, lose him within 10 days” she added.

“21 days? Too long!” she complained.

“Then make it shorter” Jessica sat beside Sohee who is just listening to them but her expression seems she doesn’t want Dara to do whatever Lai is up to “you’re every guy’s dream girl here, anyways”.

“Well…” Dara is a slight hesitant to do the act. Her eyes darted to where he is. Her eyes chink as she remembered something and then faced Lai who was waiting for her decision.

“I can make him mine in a week and lose him after 10 days! Wanna bet?” she braggingly demanded.

“Oh, dare me! How much is the stake?” Jessica crossed her arms to welcome Dara’s idea.

“Your 1 month allowance plus a treat in a high class restaurant in Hongdae”

“Okay…” Jessica agreed “but if and only if you make him yours without falling for him because if you will, then you’ll gonna treat us!”

“That won’t happen!” Dara immediately protested.

“Then, let’s call it a DEAL!” they approached each other and had their handshake as sign of their bet.

“Why don’t you start making your move to him now?” Jessica suggested so Dara stood up from her chair lazily.

“Yah, Dee, you are not so going to do this” Sohee grabbed her hand to stop her from this situation. She doesn’t know but she kind of feel like something’s going to be so wrong.

But Dara already decided and no one will ever change her mind. She won’t back out for she doesn’t want to make Jessica believe that she is a coward. She’ll just make fun of her by pissing her that she’s a coward. That she has no one word.

She sipped on her soda and heavily sighed. She counted one to three on her mind and started to march to Kwon Jiyong’s direction. Some pair of eyes inside the café followed to where she is going. She may not see them but she’s aware of it. She continued to walk even if she feels like backing out. She’s just inches away, until she had a closer contact with Jiyong.

“Touch down” she thought before she begin on what she’s going to say. She cleared and sat facing Jiyong that seems so shock because of her unexpected move towards him. She smiled at him.

“Hey, Jiyong, do you have a copy of what Mr. Jang had lectured us earlier?” she started on “I didn’t copy the topic and since I like to review it but I have nothing to read on so ahmmmm” she cut off “can I ask for your notes about it?” finally, she was able to say it.

Jiyong, can’t think of what to say, immediately handed to her the notes she’s asking without even looking away from her.

“Thank you” she smiled and left Jiyong dumbfounded.

“She just talked to me and asked for my notes” he thought to himself.

“Just talked to me and the notes”

“Asked for my notes! Oh, God! My notes!” he remembered something.

 

JIYONG’S POV:

I was in the café minutes before Dara arrived with her two girls. They ordered for their snacks and sat like 20 feet away from me. She was facing the direction where I can see her clearly. I sneak at her from time to time when she’s talking with her friends. I even saw how they laugh at poor Yoona who they just tripped on. Even if she’s smiling devilishly, I am in awe of how great her smile is.

“Yah, Jiyong, staring is rude” said Subin, the girl next to me “You’ve been looking intently at her for minutes now”

“I am not” I denied even if I am really caught in the act by my friend.

“You are” she insisted “I exactly don’t get what it is with her that you really like until now?”

“I exactly don’t know either. I just felt it.” I answered back to keep her mum.

I don’t know how long I busied myself in nibbling my foods when I noticed that the café was slightly silenced down. It seems like an angel had passed by the place. And when I moved my head to check what was just happening, my eyes take me to someone who’s walking my direction. Indeed, an angel has just walked through the area. Everyone is waiting to where she is headed. Some are hoping that Dara’s after them only to be disappointed when she stopped in front of me, took a seat and smiled at me.

I blinked as many blink as I can. I even pinch myself if I am just dreaming. But it’s real.

“DARA PARK JUST WALKED TOWARDS ME” my mind says. It is rejoicing than the owner of it. And I held my breath, I don’t know why.

“Hey, Jiyong, do you have a copy of what Mr. Jang had lectured us earlier?” she started on “I didn’t copy the topic and since I like to review it but I have nothing to read on so ahmmmm” she cut off “can I ask for your notes about it?” finally, she was able to say it.

I know I couldn’t utter even a single word because obviously, I was really swept away by her beauty. This must be the happiest day of my life and it’s alright if I’m gonna die now. No, I still want to live especially now that Dara just talked to me. And she asked for my notes which I immediately handed to her without even taking my eyes off of her. I can’t exactly heard if she said thank you because of too much giddiness, all I can remember was she gave me a smile again and left. I didn’t even know too how long I held my breath. I was still in a deep trance and repeating what she had just said. She just asked for my notes.

“She just talked to me and asked for my notes” I thought to myself.

“Just talked to me and the notes”

“Asked for my notes! Oh, God! My notes!”

“Omo! She just asked for it. My drawings!” I remembered that her name and her face were all over that notebook: at the backmost page of it, “I’m busted” I frowned and faced palms.