CHAPTER 2: THE NICE GUY, KWON JIYONG

ONE TRUE LOVE

 

JIYONG’S POV:

It’s just an ordinary day for me but when I arrived in school and saw her, my day went extraordinary. There she was, walking down with her two best friends, Sohee and Jessica. I was like in a different dimension and all I could see was her and me. Roses are everywhere and bells can be heard. And we were dancing like those in the romantic movies my older sister usually watch. I was so drawn in thinking those thoughts when the school bell suddenly rang.

“Aish… wake up, Jiyong. You’re daydreaming again” I scolded myself for being so delusional a while ago. Well, there’s nothing wrong in daydreaming, right? It’s not a privilege anyways.

I gaited hurriedly towards where our classroom is located when I tripped and my books scattered on the floor. I was really taken aback when I saw her picking up my book and gave it to me. I said thank you but she was too quick to turn her back and not heard it.

“Park Sandara, what have you done to me?” I asked myself while holding the book she picked up closer to me. Her scent literally left on that particular side where she held my book.

I entered the classroom with a smile on my face and my thoughts are way up high. I looked to the door and waited for her to appear and when she did, I was stunned on how she looks so perfect.

“Heaven must be missing an angel” I thought to myself.

I watched her as she makes her way through the class. Everyone is greeting her like she’s a princess. She sat in front of me making me feel so nervous. But I tried so hard to compose myself when I smelled her scent. When she brushes her hair and the scent of her shampoo touched my nose, I was like DEAD for seconds but I was quick to revive myself. Seriously, how can someone not to fall in love with her? She’s the ideal girlfriend to anyone. Yes, to anyone. Even to me who’s just an ordinary guy. It’s like heaven and hell. She’s way too out of my league.

I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s not talking to me: because I’m nobody. The word has the impression that I’m boring and weird. Yes, with this glasses that I usually use even I have no any eye problem, makes everyone thinks that I am a loser. But yes, a loser can dream and a loser can fall in love. Sad thing is my heart beats for someone who wouldn’t take a second look at me.

My older sister told me that when it comes to physical aspect, I’m good yet she added I just don’t know how to choose the proper clothes to wear and appropriate haircut for me. And she even nagged on me about why I keep on wearing eyeglasses when there’s nothing wrong with my eyes. It only gives me an ahjussi- look, according to her. She always reminded me to have some guts to change my style because when I do, I will have more points in courting girls for a reason that my intellectual ability is beyond average. That’s according to her, AGAIN. Sisters sometimes are liars. They tend to lie just to make you feel better.

But my sister really knows everything. Even the girl I secretly love and secretly loving. I planned to hide it from her but she found out eventually. How did she found out? Blame it on the writings of her name and drawings of her face on my notebook. Yes, I usually do that even up until to this day, especially now, while waiting for Mr. Jang to arrive.

I closed my notebook when our teacher came in. He started the roll call of our names. And while he was doing that, my eyes were shifting its gaze to Dara and Jessica. Dara passed a piece of paper to her and I can tell that she giggled on what she just wrote. I heard Mr. Jang called her name but she did not hear it because she was like drown into thinking about something.

“PARK SANDARA!” shouted Mr. Jang which made me startled. Dara was also alarmed but she took it so cool.

But I can see her embarrassment. She just tried to cover the shame by throwing jokes on Mr. Jang. Even if she’s mean and brat sometimes, she is humorous. I couldn’t stop myself from beaming. Aside from that once I witness how she can be sweet and gentle to others far from the usual impressions of some students about her.

Mr. Jang began his lesson and half of the class is really listening but half too is pretending to be attentive. I know Dara’s not absorbing the topic because I can actually see her yawning from time to time. I know her brain’s capability to up the explanations. She’s really bored if the lesson is about Multimedia and Graphic Designing. It takes 60 minutes, and she can only bear it for like 15 minutes and the remaining minutes, she’ll spend it in yawning and talking with Sohee. You may think I am a stalker because I know her habit. No, I’m not. It’s just I can’t get out of her from my sight.

She seemed like observing the class for her head keeps on turning from left to right. She even looked back at Seungri who’s so into daydreaming beside me. I even caught her glanced at me for like 3 seconds. THREE SECONDS. Read it? Three seconds! It was three seconds and yet I’m like in heaven. Seriously, is she trying to kill me for so many times? Mr. Jang called her again and she wasn’t listening. But I was really tensed when he mentioned her name for we’ll be having the activity. I was nervous because the last name that Mr. Jang read out was MINE!

 “I said we will be having an activity by pairs and you’ll be with Jiyong”.

“You’ll be with Jiyong!”

“by pairs and Jiyong”

“with Jiyong”

Mr. Jang words echoed inside my head. It took minutes for me to be able to absorb that I will be pairing with her. Good heaven! This must be my lucky day. I have been praying for this. But will I be able to talk to her? Thinking of she will, I think I’m going to be sleeping tonight with a huge grin pasted on my face.

I observed her as she listened to other’s name. I even heard her asked something to Sohee who just shook her head like she didn’t know what to answer. I know she was somewhat uncomfortable and itching for someone to answer whatever questions she has on her mind. When she couldn’t bear it anymore, I saw how she angled and pivoted her body almost facing me. My heart started to race. I can also feel my cheeks blushing up to the roots of my hair.

“Oh no, one word from you, and I’ll be in 7th heaven!”

I was anticipating of what will happen when she talk to me about what we are going to do. I was already planning on what she will be going to once we started the activity. All is alright when someone voiced out something.

“Uhh, Mr. Jang, can I swap partner with Jiyong? Instead of Dara and Jiyong, can we just make it, Seungri and Jiyong?”

“Ah, seriously?” I just thought to myself for the nth time.

“Yes, Mr. Jang, I agree to that!” and even my friend, Seungri seconded. Is he really a friend?

 “And you know how Jiyong gets so awkward when Dara is around” continued Jessica which made me looked down on the ground feeling like a fool.

“Jessica! Do you really have to say that?” thwarted Sohee “so unnecessary!”

I caught Sohee’s disgusted look at Jessica. Somehow, this Sohee girl is different from this Jessica wench. She is considerate on what someone will feel just like Dara maybe because they are actually the “original duo”. But sometimes, Jessica influences Dara to try things out like being a bully to someone.

“Jiyong, is it okay with you?” Mr. Jang asked.

“Yes, Mr. Jang” as much as I want to say no, I couldn’t help to just agreed on what Jessica wants chiefly because of her words. Could she at least think first before she says any words?

Seungri elbowed me. He is the one who’s very happy about the sudden change of partners for a reason that he is sure that we will have the best score again in this activity. On a lighter side, I’m thankful because I will work comfortably and easily. I guess I will be stuck with Seungri until we graduate in high school.

Soon, Mr. Jang takes the lead to the Science Laboratory and started our experiments. I can see Dara and Jessica from my peripheral vision that they are having a hard time analyzing the mechanics of the test. Dara is smart. I remember when we were just in 7th grade; she used to be on the top ranks, next to me. I exactly don’t know what happen why she seems lost her interest in studying. She’s good in numbers back then but now, she sometimes sleeps during Math course. I tilted my head and go back to the questions I’m answering. When I’m already done, I asked Seungri to write something on a piece of paper.

After few minutes, I saw Jessica and her approached Mr. Jang who was talking to someone outside the laboratory. I got up from my chair and walked to their post. I took a piece of paper from my pants and put it in her notebook’s cover. I scanned the class if someone saw me; luckily, they were all busy doing the activity. After a while, Mr. Jang with Jessica and Dara went inside the facility. I pulled out Seungri from his chair and dragged him to where our teacher is to pass our paper, hurriedly left the room and settled ourselves feet away from the entrance of the workroom.

I read the novel that I was holding and pretends reading it but the truth is I am checking on her if she’s already done answering the exercises. I even saw her give Sohee something and she stayed with her until the latter is finish with what she’s doing. They walked towards Mr. Jang and waved to Lai. I turned my back upon seeing them almost few inches near to us.

“Who could be the one left answers on your notebook?” I heard Sohee asked about the answers.

“I don’t know” Dara pouted “I just found it beneath my notebook. I even told Jessica that the answers were really right but she just said she doesn’t trust me that’s why she didn’t copied those”.

“Let her be!” Sohee said who stood really proximate to where I am and Dara is on her side, making Sohee in between us. I slightly glanced at them to acknowledge their presence. I saw Sohee ironing out using her hand a piece of paper. I saw how she examined the writings on the sheet and slowly take a peek on me.

“I think I know who could be that person” Sohee added, wiggling her brows at me and so I looked away. Dara is still clueless on the side, still thinking who could be the one.