Back To You

I'm Sorry That I Love You

 

Dongwoon

 

I carried Soo Jin home and walked alongside Mi Kyung.

“So how long have you actually been friends with Soo Jin?” I casually asked.

“Since junior year in high school. How did you two meet again?” Mi Kyung curiously asked.

“She was in my physics class freshman year in college. Actually she was my lab partner and we became close and then eventually started going out. Well not any more obviously…” I said.

“So how have you been managing these last three years?” she asked me.

“It hurts. It hurts a lot,” I finally admitted it to someone.

“I hear Soo Jin crying almost every night before she goes to sleep,” Mi Kyung worriedly told me.

“Would you mind if I slept here for the night?” we finally arrived at Soo Jin and Mi Kyung’s apartment. I wasn’t ready to say goodbye to Soo Jin just yet.

“Sure, but we don’t have an extra room so you’ll probably have to sleep on the couch if you don’t mind,” she skeptically answered.

“Don’t worry, I’m not planning on anything. I just need to talk it out with Soo Jin in the morning. I think we have some clarifying to do…” I trailed off.

 

I laid Soo Jin down on her bed and took off her coat and shoes. Mi Kyung kindly set up a pillow and some blankets for me on the couch. I took my pants off because I didn’t have any pajamas and my jeans were uncomfortable. I waited until Mi Kyung was fast asleep and snuck back into Soo Jin’s room. I gently scooted her body over and joined her in the bed. I watched as she angelically slept and eventually fell asleep as well.

 

Soo Jin

 

When I woke up, I noticed a guy in his boxers sleeping next to me.

Oh god what happened last night?!

I didn’t manage to have a one night stand with some stranger, did I?! I started to panic.

I looked down and saw myself fully clothed and was relieved. But who was this man? I got out of the bed but once I was on my two feet, I felt a searing pain in my head from last night. I shouldn’t have drank so much…

I walked over to the other side of my bed to see who this person was and gasped.

It was Dongwoon.

What was he doing here?!

I quickly went out to the kitchen to take some pain killers before my head was going to explode and quickly washed my face and brushed my teeth. I changed into something less revealing and saw that Dongwoon was still sleeping. Because of all his activities, he must not be getting enough sleep… I heard his phone vibrate and I picked it up. Doojoon was calling.

The other members were probably worried sick that he didn’t show up last night.

“Hello?” I picked up.

“Hello? Who is this?” Doojoon worriedly asked.

“Hi oppa, long time no talk,” I said.

“S-s-soo Jin?” He asked in disbelief.

“Yeah,” I shyly said.

“What are you doing with Dongwoon’s phone?”

“I don’t know why but he’s here in my apartment… it looks like he spent the night here,” I was just as confused as he was.

“Will you tell him to come back to the dorms by 2pm?” Doojoon asked.

“Yeah, no problem. He’s still sleeping though, I’ll tell him when he wakes up,” I said.

“Thanks so much Soo Jin,” he said.

“Yup! Anytime!” I answered.

“Soo Jin?”
“Yeah?”

“It’s really nice to hear your voice again,” Doojoon said.

I blushed.

“I gotta get going. Hope to see you sometime,” I hung up.

 

For the first time in three years, I wasn’t feeling that emptiness in my heart. I wasn’t feeling sad. Even though I knew he wasn’t supposed to be in my bed, I was beyond ecstatic to have my ex boyfriend sleeping, half , in my bed.

“Soo Jin?” I heard Dongwoon’s voice from my bedroom.

I went back inside to see why he was calling.

“Yes?” I answered.

“Whew, I just wanted to make sure you didn’t leave,” he looked relieved.

“Doojoon oppa said that you need to be back by 2pm,” I told him.

“Great that gives us plenty of time to talk!” he said.

I stared back at him in disbelief.

“What do you mean us?” I asked

“I want to clarify some things with you,” he said.

My heart pounded fast. This was the time to admit it all to him. How much I missed him, how much life without him.

“Okay, Mi Kyung already left for work. We can just sit down here and have some tea,” I suggested.

“Sounds great, let me just go grab my pants,” he awkwardly said.

 

I headed to the kitchen to get the boiler running and took out two mugs and some green tea leaves. I prepared the tea and he came into the kitchen and we sat down at the table like we used to, three years ago.

“So, I don’t know if you remember, but you confessed quite a bit of information last night,” Dongwoon awkwardly started off saying.

I tried to remember last night…

I started to shake my head, not remembering…

 

 

Then it hit me. Oh lord.

Every word that came out of my mouth, I remember it all so clearly now.

I covered my mouth in shock. Dongwoon chuckled.

“So I see you remember… well I just want to know if that was all true. Or were you just drunk?” he asked.

I sat there staring at him for a few minutes and then nodded.

“It’s all true,” I confessed.

I felt my eyes water a little but I quickly grabbed a tissue before I let my eyes pour tears.

 

“Well in that case… I want you back,” he flat out said.

I stared at him for a few more minutes, in shock.

 

“Why?” I managed to ask.

“Because I’ve been in pain for three years too. Obviously this hasn’t worked out for either of us. What’s the point of continuing our separation?”

“What about Ji Hyun? What about the pain it takes to be with you?” I asked.

“I tried to ease the pain by meeting other people and trying to move on but I only think of you even while I meet other girls. I know I hurt you while we were dating, but I was only trying to protect you, protect us. I’ll do the best I can to not hurt you, please Soo Jin just give me another chance,” he begged.

I thought about everything he said.

It did hurt more to be away with him. Even while I dated him, the pain of being ignored at times was somewhat manageable. However, the pain without him is harder to deal with.

I nodded.

“I want you too oppa. I just don’t know if it’ll work out,” I said.

“What is there that wouldn’t work out?” he asked with earnest eyes.

“You’re an idol, I’m a regular person. You have schedules, you travel all over Asia, you stay out late and you barely have time for yourself, let alone a companion?”

“I’ll make it work, please Soo Jin give me another chance,” he begged again.

“Okay, let’s try again. I want it to work too,” I said.

“I’m so glad I found you last night,” he cheekily grinned.

“I am too,” I smiled again. The muscles in my face hurt to smile because I haven’t smiled in so long.

“What are you going to say to Ji Hyun?” I asked.

“I’ll tell her the truth,” Dongwoon said.

 

I smiled again. I couldn’t believe it.

We talked and caught up until it was time for him to leave.

“I’ll call you tonight,” he smiled and slid his strong arms around my waist.

“There’s something wrong with my phone,” I told him, looking concerned.

“What is it?” he worriedly asked.

“Your number isn’t in it,” I laughed.

“You never fail to make me smile Soo Jin,” he laughed at my cheesiness. It felt so great to have him back.

He saved his number into my phone and kissed me before he left.

I touched my lips. They hadn’t been kissed by anyone since we broke up. My lips tingled and I felt a wave of happiness rush over me.