Cafe on the ave.

I'm Sorry That I Love You

 

Soo Jin

 

A few months later, I watched as she wore the dress I designed, accompanying Dongwoon. I couldn’t help but bawl. I sat in front of the TV set letting myself go. I don’t know why I do this to myself. Ever since I’ve realized that I haven’t been able to get over him, I’ve stopped trying. It’s not a crime to feel sad is it?

I heard the door clicking. I rushed to the bathroom to clear my face so my roommate didn’t have to see me like this.

 

“Soo Jin? I’m home!” Mi Kyung yelled.

“Hold on a second. I’m washing my face!” I yelled back.

“Okay, take your time,” she replied.

I turned the faucet on and let the water run, tears joining the running water.

 

Dongwoon

 

My mind wandered off mindlessly during dinner. Ji Hyun kept trying to talk to me but I couldn’t concentrate.

“So do you want to?” she asked.

“Want to what?” I asked, puzzled.

“Oppa, what’s wrong with you?” she looked at me with concerned eyes.

“Nothing. Nothing’s wrong,” I said.

“I asked if you want to go for lunch this Saturday,” she repeated.

“Huh? Oh yeah sure,” I mindlessly said.

“Okay then it’s a date,” she said, smiling at me.

She leaned in closer to me, resting her head on my shoulder.

“Ji Hyun, why are you doing this right now? There are so many people watching. This isn’t the time,” I said, pushing her head off of me.

She frowned.

“Who cares?”

“It’s etiquette,” I scolded.

She sighed.

“I mean it!” I said sincerely.

“You’re such a goody-good,” she made a face at me.

I zoned things out again. I wonder if Soo Jin is watching us.

 

***Saturday Afternoon

 

“I’m almost there, where do you want to go eat?” I asked Ji Hyun.

“Let’s go to that café on the ave,” she suggested.

“Okay, sure,” I pulled into her house. “I’m here.”

I watched Ji Hyun come out, smiling.

 

Soo Jin

 

“Hey Au Reum, I was going to go pick up some things to get at the café on the ave. Do you want anything?” I called out.

“A turkey sandwich would be nice,” she replied.

“Okay, I’ll be back within the hour,” I called out again.

“Thanks unnie!”

 

I headed out, it was a nice day and I haven’t thought about Dongwoon since the day I cried my eyes out at the award ceremony on Sunday. I was making a little more progress I suppose.

I walked into the café and stood in line.

A few minutes later, I heard the chimes of the door ring as a couple stepped in.

“Oppa, stop it,” I heard a female voice giggle.

“Stop what?” a familiar man’s voice innocently asked.

That voice.

I’ve heard it many times.

I subtly turned around to see who the man was and I gasped as I saw Dongwoon’s eyes looking right at me.

I quickly turned back around, pretending to not notice a thing.

The line moved so slowly I thought I was going to die waiting.

Once it was my turn to order, I mumbled my needs so he couldn’t recognize my voice.

“I’m sorry could you please repeat that?” the cashier asked.

“I would like a turkey sandwich and a small bowl of pasta salad to go please,” I said a little more clearly.

“Okay, coming right up. Please take a seat while we complete your order,” she kindly said.

I rushed over and sat in the furthest corner, away from Dongwoon and Ji Hyun.

I watched as the two ordered and sat down waiting to eat.

Ji Hyun got up to go to the bathroom and Dongwoon was waiting alone.

I watched as he looked around and our eyes met again. I quickly looked away, covering the side of my face with my long hair.

Thank goodness I didn’t put it in an up-do this morning.

 

“Order for Soo Jin!” the lady yelled.

I shut my eyes close.

Dang it.

I felt Dongwoon’s eyes immediately stare at me.

I ran to the counter, grabbed the food and booked it out. Before I could open the café door, I felt a warm hand clamp over my wrist.

I didn’t have to check to see who it was.

“Hello Dongwoon,” I faintly said.

“Soo Jin! Why have you been avoiding me?” he roughly questioned.

“I didn’t want to interfere with you and your lady friend,” I said with a little more confidence.

My heart ached at his touch. I wanted to just wrap my arms around his waist and tell him I was sorry for ever suggesting to part ways.

“That’s nonsense. You should at least have said hi,” he said.

“Hi,” I weakly said.

“How have you been?” he sat me down at the nearest table.

I’ve been bad. The past three years have , I want you back. I want to be yours again. But I know I can’t. I know that being with you isn’t the best for either you or me. It tarnishes your reputation and it hurts me to be with you. It hurts even more to be without you. What am I supposed to do Dongwoon? I miss you. I want to be yours.

“I’ve been doing well. How have you been?” I politely asked.

“Doing pretty well myself,” he replied.

I watched from the corner of my eye, Ji Hyun walking towards us.

“Oppa, what are you doing?” she hesitatingly asked.

“Hello,” I stood up to shake her hand.

“Oh. Oh my,” she looked a little taken aback. “Hello.”

“Ji Hyun, this is Soo Jin. Soo Jin, this is Ji Hyun,” he formerly introduced us.

“Yes, I’ve met her once before. Remember, oppa? I told you I requested my gown and your tuxedo to her,” Ji Hyun said.

“Oh, that’s right, I forgot,” he said.

“Nice to see you again,” I awkwardly said.

“Yes. Nice to see you again,” she sounded annoyed.

I should’ve been nicer to her the first time…

“How do you two know each other?” she curiously asked Dongwoon.

“We’re just good friends!” I said hurriedly, before Dongwoon could say anything.

Dongwoon looked a little startled and Ji Hyun just looked pissed.

“Uh, I have to get going now. I have a design to work on. Hope to see you two around,” I awkwardly left before they could say anything more to me.

Once I left, I squatted down and let the tears come.

Dongwoon never once took me out on a proper date. All of our dates where in the car because we had to make sure we didn’t get caught and here he is with his new girlfriend, just roaming the streets like it’s no big deal. Don’t they know the two of the combined will attract more attention than anything? I sobbed thinking how unfair life really is.

 

Dongwoon

 

“Oh it looks like she forgot her wallet. I’ll catch up with her and give this to her,” I told Ji Hyun.

She nodded.

I ran outside, looking for Soo Jin.

As I turned the corner, I heard someone cry.

I looked to see who was hurt and saw Soo Jin in the corner, crying.