Pretend Couple

So I've Heard

 

Kyuhyun laughed in delight, though it ended up sounding a little bit sinister, just because it was coming from Kyuhyun.

“We shall commence our plans tomorrow!” he declared, staring at the ceiling in triumph, his bottom lip rolled between his teeth.

Sungmin looked at him funny and used this moment of distraction to grab his rainbow pillow and hug it protectively to his chest.

“Um okay, but what are we actually doing?” 

Kyuhyun pointed between them. “We’ll just pretend we’re a couple. But it can’t just be on the low down, we have to be one of those mushy, gooey couples that make everyone else around them feel awkward and embarrassed. And we have to do it on air sometimes, too, just for effect. Can you imagine all of them squirming in their seats while we pretend we’re having a lovey dovey moment? Oh god it’s too great, too brilliant, too exciting!” Kyuhyun said, bounding and twirling around the room in anticipation.

Sungmin worried about Kyuhyun’s mental health. Then he imagined Kyuhyun with a ribbon in his hand, and didn’t think he would do too badly with rhythmic gymnastics.

“So basically we just act like a really mushy couple to make everyone cringe and feel awkward all the time?” Sungmin asked, clearing things up.

“Exactly. We’ll just say you’ve accepted the fact that we’re together and you can’t stand being apart from me any longer. And on occasion, we’ll do something else for fun like glad wrap them to their beds while they sleep—but that’s for another time.”

Sungmin nodded and squeezed his pillow tighter. “Well, um okay. I guess I’ll just go to sleep then… and see you in the morning… or something.”

Sungmin was feeling a little awkward and embarrassed himself about the whole situation, even though he was supposed to be having to effect on others. And he was blushing, which he told himself was totally, one hundred percent, the heat in the room.

Both males had a difficult time getting to sleep that night; one pondering over why he was blushing, and the other giggling manically to himself.

 


 

 

The next morning, Kyuhyun and Sungmin skipped, literally, into the kitchen, hand in hand.

At least three people dropped their metal spoons.

Smiling gaily, Kyuhyun took a seat and had Sungmin sit atop of him on his lap. Everyone stared like they’d never seen anything like it, and Kyuhyun suppressed a laugh. Sungmin, even with the initial awkwardness floating around last night, was enjoying the looks on everyone’s faces.

Sungmin cleared his throat and gave a chipper smile. “I’m sorry for deceiving you all for so long.” Sungmin held a hand to his heart and attempted to look somewhat sorry, even though he wanted to burst out laughing. “But I really do love Kyuhyun. And now that I can admit that out loud, I just feel so happy.”

Sungmin looked to the ceiling and wiped under his eyes where tears were forming.

To everyone else, he seemed touched and emotional.

To Sungmin, he was trying to suppress his laughter so much that tears actually started forming.

He had to excuse himself from the room to laugh into his pillow before he snapped. Everyone sitting at the dining table turned to Kyuhyun with wide eyes.

“How did you get him to accept you?” Eunhyuk asked, looking strangely pensive.

Kyuhyun shrugged. “Well, I just kept talking to him, kept saying that we couldn’t just pretend forever, because then one of us would end up hurt. We needed to embrace our feelings for each other otherwise we would just end up going crazy.”

Ryeowook, in the corner, linked his hands together where his heart was, teary eyed. “I’m so happy for you two, I just…” Ryeowook whipped his head to the side, his hair flipping quite impressively, then blinked rapidly. “It’s just so sweet I can’t take it!”

Kyuhyun shifted his eyes side to side, gauging the other member’s reactions. Heechul was grinning deviously, Leeteuk looked like he wanted to faint, but looked happy, and the rest of the members didn’t really give two s and were just happy eating breakfast.

 


 

 

Sungmin and Kyuhyun kept up the act all the way to the van, fingers interlocked, smiling as if this was the best day of their lives.

On the way to their schedules, they sat next to each other and sent loving looks and winks to each other, making the rest of the passengers, Hankyung, Heechul, and Kangin cringe. Ryeowook just kept muttering to himself about how sweet it was. They kept this up all the way to the hair dressers, where they were getting their hair dyed and cut for their new album. 

After Kyuhyun had come out, and it was Sungmin’s turn to go in, Sungmin gasped and remarked about how handsome Kyuhyun looked, which Kyuhyun couldn’t deny. Even though he already knew it himself, somehow it felt nice coming for Sungmin, even if it was just for the game.

When Sungmin came out with dark brown hair, Kyuhyun stopped in his tracks.

“Do you think it looks good?” he asked nervously, playing with a strand of hair, twisting and twirling it with his finger.

Kyuhyun half coughed, half choked out, “great.”

No, it wasn’t just great, Kyuhyun thought, it was absolutely stunningly beautiful.

... Not like he was going to say that out loud, even though it wouldn’t have sounded strange to Sungmin because they were trying to trick people it was just… hard to say out loud for some reason. So he kept it to himself.

“It suits you,” was the best he could give, besides a half hearted ‘great’.