Chapter 1

LOVE

JIYEON'S POV

“Jiyeon, don’t move. I can’t get your perfect angle.” Sitting on the other end of the boat, Hyunsik is having my sketch. I can hear his pencil’s fine on his sketch pad. Too silent to hear but we are here in a serene lake, gently sailing across it. The blue sky is reflected on clear waters.

“I’m done! Your sketch is perfectly done.” He moved closer to me and showed me his work. He almost got my angle but…

“You almost got it Hyunsik, but few lines made my angle different.” 
“Yeah?” He turned his eyes on me. “You really think so? Well…” he took the paper and looked at it. “I’ll make it a perfect one next time”

He dropped his pencil and sailed the boat through the lake. Lush, is all that we can see. Our eyes were fascinated and being hypnotized by it. I took a glance on him, the evening sun is almost up and its glow struck Hyunsik's face, revealing his angelic aura.

“Why are you looking at me? Is there anything wrong?” I just smiled and said it was nothing. He turned again to sailing and looked to the sky.

“The blue sky is replaced by red as evening comes ahead
The birds are now silent as the sun comes to bed
But, we’re still here, anticipating its best
Sailing on, sailing on, waiting for the moon’s crest”

Those words filled my heart. How would I describe Hyunsik? He’s not a technical person but a poetic one. He, who is an artistic individual, with the of his hands, the ideas of the speech and the passion for music. Most people find him boring because of his personality, but I find him unique.

“Hyunsik...”
“Yes?”
“It’s been two years.. Since I said yes….” He flashed a smile and gently held my hand.
“Today, it’s been two years to be exact.” He whispered. Our boat reached the end of the lake. It was almost dark and my eyes can’t see anything. I can’t vision his presence.

“Hyunsik... Hyunsik.. Where are you?” I keep calling his name. No one responds. Oh no.. 
Hyunsik!” I can see him on the boat… sailing away from me. I ran, trying to catch him and a white light struck my eyes.

 

I got up on my bed with tears overflowing in my eyes. I can hardly breathe and my heart is beating faster and slower at the same time. I can’t stop my tears from rolling down my cheeks. That dream haunts me for almost 3 years now… the last day I saw Hyunsik. It’s coming back to me… its all coming back to me. Every scenario fills my mind. I can’t stop but remember. Flashback’s starting; I’m standing there, on the dark side at the end of the lake with him.

Hyunsik...”

“Yes? Don’t worry I’m here.” He wrapped his arms on my waist, guiding me in the middle of darkness for me not to stumble or something. He went to his car at the other side and he generously opened the door for me.

“I promised your mom to take you home early” I just nodded and make our way home. It was so comfortable being with him the whole time. We met each other two years ago; we are both young and both fine arts students. We have the same interests that made us a perfect couple. He’s the only one who can understand my personality and I’m the one who understand his.

So we’re here, in front of our house. We’re still sitting on his car, seemed like we don’t want to leave each other anymore.

“I had a good time with you Hyunsik… see you tomorrow at school.” He moved closer to me and kissed my forehead. He soothingly moved his lips to my left ear and whispered.

“Deep to my core Jiyeon I lo---“ his phone rang not finishing his words to me.

“Hello?” Their conversation lasts just seven seconds. He turns his attention to me, replacing his frown from the conversation with a smile. He caressed my cheeks.

“See you tomorrow.” I just smiled and did nothing but off from the car. I can see him waving at me saying goodbye. I waved back at him. His car drove away from me, I felt something strange. I want to say something to him I didn’t able to tell. I just come into our house and I’ll take some rest. Excited of seeing him tomorrow.

I woke up to the sound of peacefully chirping birds. The sun rays shone on my face giving me a greeting….Good morning Jiyeon! I inhaled the fresh air on my bedroom’s balcony and blinked a few times.

“Today will be a great day! Two years of my endless love.” Yesterday was our second anniversary and today is the start of our three more years! I walked downstairs to greet everyone.

“Good morning mom!” I gleefully said but.. Strange, my mom didn’t act in response. I walked into the dining room to eat breakfast. I was the only one on the table… I don’t feel relaxed this time. Everybody seems crazy..... Aren’t they happy for me? Well life goes on for me. I’m going my way to school, we have a museum tour today and of course, I’m with him.
“Jiyeon…” my mother’s voice approached me.
“Yes mom? I’m pretty late for out tour so I better get going… bye mom!” I made few steps away.

“Jiyeon wait!” her voice is different.
“What’s the matter? Mom?” I looked into her eyes… but she’s ignoring my look.
“Go with him… He needs you…” Mom’s voice is shaking… I can see her tears on the rim of her eyes. Something stabbed my heart; I really don’t know why but had this feeling last night after he left.

“Mom?....” I don’t want to hear anything from her… what could it be? I’m getting nervous… It could be…

“He’s gone Jiyeon, your Hyunsik is gone.”

GONE. I can’t still absorb that word I just have heard. I feel like the world is crashing on me. My head falling on my . He’s gone Jiyeon, Hyunsik is gone…. No.. no..!!

“That’s not true! You liar! How could you tell jokes about my Hyunsik’s death? He just told me yesterday he’ll be forever mine!” my words shouted by my mouth unconsciously. My mother was crying and hugging me. I can almost throw my mom away. I don’t know if I have to feel angry to my damn fate. Why?

“Someone called last night. Hyunsik told them not to tell you until he’s still alive… he doesn’t want you to see him suffer. He was in a car accident with a girl. They had a fight.” I didn’t let my mom finish and I ran away from where I was standing. I ran away but the truth of his death with another girl beside him is chasing me… never letting me go. I can’t feel my legs. I fastened my pace and reached the hospital.

I approached the nurse on the front desk.

“Lim Hyunsik please.” The nurse is too slow, she’s so relaxed. My blood boiled in a hurry.

“You damn nurse, where is the room of Lim Hyunsik?! Don’t you know the word hurry?” I don’t mind the words spoken by me. The nurse was so shocked.

“Room 132.” I never mind to say thank you. I’m in the middle of something I don’t expect.. So I ran, climbed the stairs. Room 130…. Room131… room 132. I opened the door. No patient was there and a nurse approached me.

“Miss.. can I help you?” she asked me tactfully. 
“Leave me alone…”
“But miss..” the nurse retorted.
“Just leave me alone!!” my vision was all blurred. River of tears fell from my eyes. My heart is crumpled in vain. I spend my two hours inside that lifeless room when a warm feeling suddenly wrapped me. Comforting me from what I am now. I never turned around to see who’s hugging me from my back. I know and pretty sure it’s Hyunsik, saying goodbye to me. The warm feeling left for about a minute of staying with me. I slowly turned around… no one was there. Death is such a crude word and a poignant thing to happen. God’s finger touched Hyunsik and he slept for forever.