002

As Long As You Love Me

 

April 13, 2012

 

 

Jongin fumbled around the bushes and pushed some leaves out of his face. His yellow brazer was crinkled and smelled of plants. This was his and Jinri's place, the small hilltop near the school. It was where they usually rendezvoused when they wanted to just stay together and this was where they fly their kites and sing together.

 

He smiled as he saw Jinri sprawled on their regular purple mat on the grass, looking up at the sky. At least she looked peaceful.

 

He silently sat down beside her, taking her hand in his in the process.

 

"Hi there love." She smiled, the morning sun shined on her brown hair and caught the light in her eyes.

 

"Hello." He replied.

 

"So... what did you tell Soojung for our cover today?" She asked. It was always Soojung or Sehun who covered up for them when they cut classes.

 

"No need. The whole batch is having their campus tour today... except us. No one will notice our absence." Jongin replied.

 

They both laid back down on the mat and looked up at the spring sky. Jinri's head was on Jongin's chest, feeling his heartbeat and matching her breathing with his.

 

You're my best side Choi Jinri, you will always be part of me, Jongin thought. He laughed at himself for thinking so cheesily but he knows it's true.

 

Whenever he feels that they can't survive through this love... it's the only thing that keeps him sane. It keeps him from showing Jinri his tears because this kind of love is hard but he is willing to fight for it.

 

"Jongin... we'll be college soon." Jinri stated out of the blue.

 

"Yes. Why?" He replied.

 

"Let's run away by then." She seriously said.

 

"Run away? Like, escape from your parents? Your brother?" He asked, striking her hair lightly.

 

This was his element, escape and running away.

It sounded like a plan.

 

"Why not? I'm 18 anyway. I can make my own decisions and ... and I'll be with you." She looked up at him and kissed his jawline.

 

"You'll be with me." Jongin smiled assuringly. "Is that a plan Jinri?"

 

"Well, yes. Just as long as we'll stay together. I have lots of friends in Seoul. We can stay there." Jinri nodded.

 

"Stay in Seoul, I'll be a dancer and you'll be a model... just like our dreams when we were young."

 

"Just like when we were young but it would be true this time."

 

"We can get married you know... buy a house, own a coffee shop, buy a dog, build our own dance studio. Get married..." He let the sentence hang.

 

They both know it's a long shot but hoping for it makes them happy, make them believe in happy endings that they have always heard stories of.

 

"Is that a proposal Kim Jongin?"

 

"Well, Choi Jinri, what else would it be?" He blushed and looked away. Gosh. Words are really uncontrollable.

 

"Sure then." She smiled confidently and squeezed Jongin's hand harder. Jongin smiled and leaned down to kiss her.

 

It's a long shot, faint and tiny.

 

But why not?

 

 

April 27, 2012

 

"Jinri-ah! Are you sure about this?" Sehun asked JInri.

 

"Yes. I'm very sure." Jinri smiled to herself. Soojung smirked and looked up at Sehun.

 

"Sehun... it's as if you don't know Jinri. She'll skate if she wants too and you can't stop her." Soojung laughed. She handed a rubber band to Jinri and she tied her soft brown hair with it.

 

"Plus, Sehun. I've got her... I thought her everything she knows." Jongin announced, coming up from behind Soojung.

 

"Jongin, you're my best buddy but I swear to God if Jinri dies..."

 

Jongin merely laughed and back-hugged Sehun.

 

"Why Sehunnie? You care so much about my girl! Any unrequited feelings I should know about?" He teased.

 

"Pabo! Of course not. It's just that Minho told me to take care of her. Do you know how scary Minho can get? As for me, I don't want to find out! So you better take care of his sister or else I'm gonna beat you up Jongin." Sehun retorted. Jongin pushed Sehun and put his arm around Jinri.

 

"You ready love?" He asked, smirking. Jinri looked nervously at the half-pipe, Kyungsoo was doing some sort of flip on his skateboard and Chanyeol was making a beeline for Baekhyun. Truthfully, Jinri did not care about what Minho would say about this, It's as if he doesn't go skating with his friends here.

 

Soojung smirked and mounted Luhan's skateboard. From afar, Luhan smiled and shouted, "Jongin! Looks like my Soojung is ready! Is your Jinri ready too?"

 

Jinri's face flushed and she hid it in the crook of Jongin's neck. Soojung shouted back, "How many times do I have to tell you Luhan? I am not your Soojung! Now, let's get this over with."

 

Jinri nodded and tugged the hem of the shirt she was wearing. "I'm ready Jongin."

Jongin smiled and hugged her briefly. "You can do it love."

 

Soojung took Jinri's hand and they walked to the half-pipe confidently.

 

"Psh. We can take them boys Jinri." Soojung smirked at Chanyeol. Baekhyun snapped a picture of them in his polaroid. Jinri smiled, squeezing Soojung's hand.

 

"I'll go first, Jungie."

 

"I have no problem with that." Soojung laughed. Luhan and Yixing helped Jinri up into the top of the pipe and she tested her weight on Jongin's skateboard.

 

In her mind, she calculated how far the drop would be. But then Sehun and Jongin shouted.

 

"LET'S GO KIM JINRI!!!"

 

She laughed and smirked.

 

She heard Wufan shout back at them. "Are you gonna marry her if she survives this then Jongin?"

 

"WELL OF COURSE!"

 

She smiled and pushed herself off the half-pipe.

 

It was exhilarating as she turned and shifted her weight. Her hair flew out in all different directions and her stomach dropped a hundred miles down. For a moment she felt like she was flying.

 

Then it was over.

 

She was on her back on the floor of the pipe, flushed, laughing and thrilled. Wufan, Luhan, Jongin, Chnayeol and Soojung crowded around her. They looked at her worriedly.

 

She laughed and they erupted in cheers. Jongin hugged her and kissed her cheek.

 

"Let's do that again." She said.

 

As Soojung skated the pipe, more gracefully than Jinri did though (she does this with Luhan and Baekhyun a lot), Wufan handed Jongin a marker and in his loopy handwriting he wrote on his skateboard.

 

Today, Jinri skated my half-pipe. She'll marry me soon. We'll have a party in this very place. She and Soojung will then skate in their dresses, Sehun and I will dance around them. I'll kiss her and we'll stay like that forever.

 

Jinri and Jongin shared a few laughs and a long kiss.

 

They're not forbidden to dream about it.

 

 

May 3, 2012.

 

"Jinri! Don't you dare go out and meet this ... this boy again. You hear me?" Sooyoung glared at her daughter.

 

"I won't mother. I won't meet him again." Jinri answered with fake calm. Inside she was burning to slap her mother for doing this to her.

 

I love him, don't you understand? He is not the evil boy you think he is mother! You just let judgement cloud your eyes to much! We love each other!

 

She kept her thoughts to herself.

 

"Make sure that you don't. I'll know from the principal herself if you do talk to this boy, so don't attempt to do so. He'll only be a pain to you." Sooyoung said.

 

"Mother! How do you know that he's only a a pain to me?" Jinri stood up, unable to keep her rage in check.

 

"His father is a drunkard and he is a troublemaker! Don't you realize that he's just having his fun with you? That he might not be serious at all with you!" Sooyoung asked, pushing Jinri down on the couch again.

 

"He is not just playing with me mother. I don't care what you say and I don't want to care about what you say." Jinri shouted. "Is this because of his father? We were friends when we were young but now you can't accept him? Mother, I Iove him."

 

"Jinri, it is because of his father. Are you sure that he doesn't take alcohol in too? You aren't sure of anything Jinri. Now stay away from him. You do not deserve him and he doesn't love you." Sooyoung harshly shouted.

 

Her mother's words made her step back.

 

She stepped away, taking the large staircase two steps at a time and locked the door to her room.

 

 

She closed the door, leaning her forehead on the cool wood.

 

She can't let her mother's words affect her. It isn't true. It isn't true.

 

The only thing that she can let in her mind is that Jongin loves her... and that's what matters.