Wing It

Story Starters~ :3

My heart felt like it was about to explode out of my chest, but I didn't care. I couldn't stop moving, couldn't stop for breath. My legs were shaky, but I pumped my arms harder, forcing myself faster. 

Just make it past those trees, Miria! Just past those trees and you're home free!

It was so close I could taste it - freedom.

Rocks tore at the underside of my bare feet, twigs whipped at my arms and legs as I sprinted past. But I couldn't feel any of it, adrenaline numbed the pain. 

I could hear them from behind, coming closer and closer. The demonic, animalistic growls that were anything but human. My fear only gave me more motive to run faster.

"Miria!" He called me, but I didn't turn around. "Miria, stop!!" The tears started to flow, blurring my vision. Still, I wouldn't stop until I made it past those trees. I was so close! I could still hear him beyond those hungry growls, that one clear voice calling my name, begging me to stop running. It tore my heart to bits, hearing his voice so devastated, but I refused to break. He was a liar. A traitor. I wanted to believe him, to go back - with all my heart and soul I wanted nothing more. But I couldn't and I never again would.

I pushed myself past the trees, and almost cried at the sight. I never thought I'd see a sunset ever again in my whole life. A vast blue blanket of water was spread as far as the eye could see. On the rocky cliff I stared out in a daze at such a magnificent, dazzling view.

"Show a prisoner the world, but all they will see are the bars."

Not today. This was not a dream. I was truly free.

All I needed to do was leap.

"Miria, stop!" 

I whirled around, and slowly backed away towards the edge of the cliff. There he stood before me, just as tired as I was. His chest flew up and down, trying to catch a breath. Behind him stood a whole fleet of those monsters, glaring at me with ferocious intensity. Their hands opened and closed, begging in wait to tear me limb from limb. Saliva dripped from their yellow fangs, off their chins - it was feeding time and they were starved. But they had to wait for the orders.

"Leave me alone, Breccan..." I said in my best attempt at a growl. I slowly backed away until I felt my heel hanging off the very edge. Breccan moved a hand out towards me in a warning.

"Miria, you don't need to do this!" He pleads. Breccan takes a step forward but I stop him with a look. "Let's go back. You know you can't go out there, you're not normal! Not anymore!"

"And whose fault is that?!" I explode with such fury I didn't even know I had in me. I point an accusing finger at him, the wind whipped my hair around viciously. "I am what I am because of you!"

"I can fix you!" He cries, more empty promises. The lies this man could tell astounded me- no. It left me baffled. "Miria, don't do this. It isn't safe out there for people like you! This world is cruel--"

"I know." I snarl, furious. "You've taught me that."

Without hesitating, I let myself fall backwards towards the rocks that awaited me at the bottom.

"Miria! No!"

I unraveled my wings, letting them catch the wind. It felt as though they would be ripped off by the pull of air as I ascended into the sky. I turned and flew off towards that bright sunset, looking behind me only once. Breccan called my name over and over, begging for me to come back. But I never would.

Or so I thought....


Okaaaay~ So this little short was inspired by the introduction of Maximum Ride (one of my ALL TIME favorite books.  ♥ )

It's offical. School is nuts-o. I won't be writing anything until...psssh...either winter or spring break. :P At least, I won't be writing any BIG stories. For now, just look forward to a lot more shorts like these. :)

Thanks for reading!!! It's always a pleasure being able to listen to feedback and whatnot. :'D