The Hunt

Story Starters~ :3

My blood turned cold as the barrel of the pistol pointed straight between my eyes.

"I win." Klisen grinned triumphantly. His finger rested dangerously against the trigger and I froze.

~~

45 hours ago

"Y...you're a murderer!" I exclaimed in fright.

"What an awful word." Lute Klisen said, an amused smile playing on his lips. The flames dancing in the fireplace flicked menacing shadows across his face. He rested his cheek against the back of his hand and took a sip from his wineglass. "You of all people should understand, Miss Seighart. The thrill of the hunt, that is."

"I hunt animals." I spat accusingly. "You...you're a monster. What sane person hunts humans?!"

Klisen rested his head back against the soft, red plush of his chair and grinned. "Perhaps I'm not all sane then." He said with a low chuckle. He seemed far less attractive since when I first arrived. Klisen suddenly stood and began walking around the room, admiring the animal heads and hides that decorated the elegant walls and floorboards. He stood, staring at the angry expression of the lion head perched above the fireplace and slowly rubbed his thumb up and down the length of the scar on the left side of his face, that sretched from his temple to his jawline.

"This lion was a fierce beast." Klisen grinned, his eyes glazing over in memory. "It gave me this terrible scar and I thought I was going to die that day. In the end though, I won the game." He frowned. "I always win the game...Miss Seighart." He turned to me, a calm and thoughtful look on his handsome face.

"Why?" I asked, glaring at him through narrowed eyes. "Why are you doing this?!"

"Why?" He laughed like as if the answer was obvious. "Simply for the excitement of hunting, Miss Seighart. At the end of the day, animals survive purely on instincts. They can't think. Hunting has always been my life and when it suddenly became boring...I didn't know what to do. Then it hit me! I wanted -no. I needed to hunt something or someone that had a level of higher intelligence! And what is the most advanced species on this planet? Humans, or course!"

I shook my head in disbelief.

"You still disapprove, I see." He sighed unhappily. "And here I thought a great huntress like you would understand. Fear not, though. Tomorrow I'll take you out hunting. You'll see just how great it is! The adrenaline of the chase. You never get bored. Besides, these are criminals we're hunting! Humans with death sentences! No one needs them around. That's why they ship them over to my island. I get to play the game and I help society at the same time. Killing two birds with one stone!"

"I'm not feeling too well." I mumbled quietly. "I want to go to bed."

"Really?" Klisen asked, genuinely worried. "Perhaps you're not use to the weather conditions of the jungle. I'll you to your room."

Klisen led me up a grand staircase and showed me to my room.

"Thank you.." I said as he turned to leave. He stopped just outside the doorframe and looked back at me.

"You're very welcome." He said with a smile. "Oh, and Miss Seighart...Please don't go out even if you're craving a midnight stroll. I release my hunting dogs around this hour just in case someone strange tries to leave or enter my estate. I hope you start to feel better. Goodnight."

With that, he flicked the lights off and left the room, shutting the door behind him silently. I walked over to my window and looked down. Far below, a pack of hungry-looking dogs sat, gazing eagerly back at me. Shuddering, I closed the curtains, changed into my nightgown, and slipped into bed. Unaware of the dangers I would find myself in tomorrow...


This idea for a story popped into my head yesterday and I really wanted to write it down. :DD If anyone wants me to finish up any of the shorts I write here, just tell me. ^^-