Catch Me If You Can!

Story Starters~ :3

"I want to be a theif when I grow up!" Oliver decided enthusiasticallly. I tilted my head in confusion.

"But thieves are bad guys..." I said. "I mean, they're pretty cool, but..."

"No, no!" Oliver said jumping up and down excitedly. "I'll be like Robin Hood! Steal from the bad guys and give to the good!"

"Ohh!" I smiled. "Then I'll be a knight! The best knight ever! And we'll take down the bad guys together!"

"Onwards!" Oliver laughed and ran away through the green grass. He picked up a stick and began swinging it around like a sword. I giggled then followed in suit.

"Catch me if you can!"

I still remember that sunny afternoon where Oliver and I played pretend till the sun set. Chasing after the frogs and birds who played the villains in our little heroic adventures...

"Yo, boss. We have a problem." Rein burst into my study suddenly, waking me up from my nap. I groaned then rubbed at my eyes. Why did I have a dream of that time? The last time I thought about Oliver was...

"What is it, Rein?" I sighed, swinging out of my hammock. "This better be important."

"The Taures are here."

"What?!" I exclaimed, quickly running to grab the small bags of money lying around. "Have you told the men?! Why didn't you wake me sooner?!"

"Because..." Rein said, placing a hand on my shoulder. I stopped and turned to him, a huge grin on his face. "We're the ones that turned you in."

My eyes widened in shock. Just as he said that, a couple soldiers clothed in white, shining armor appeared in the doorway of my little underground room.

"You...! Thick as thieves my !" I roared in fury as Rein chuckled. Before I could sock him, the soldiers grabbed my arms and held me back. One of them handed Rein two huge bags of gold coins.

"You know the deal." Rein said to the soldiers. "I've taken you to her, now you'll let the rest of us go." The soldier nodded solemnly in response.

Rein winked at me before leaving the hideout, flinging the bags behind his shoulders.

"Traitor!!" I screamed.


I sat in a cold cell, glaring menacingly at the guards outside who simply ignored me.

"This way, Captain." I heard voices from outside the room. A man entered, soldiers trailing behind. Upon seeing him, I groaned loudly and shook my head.

"Take her out of the cell." The man demanded. The soldiers hesitated. "Do I have to repeat myself?" They immediately did as they were told, and pulled me out of the cell, pushing me to my knees.

"Easy, easy!" I snarled. My knees would definitely be bruised tomorrow. "I'm tied up here! You think I'm going anywhere?!" I spat, gesturing to the tight ropes binding my wrists behind me.

"Let me talk to her alone." The man commanded and the soldiers bowed before leaving the room, closing the door behind them. They did as they were told but wore faces of uncertainty. After a few moments, I smiled.

"Hey, Oli." I grinned. "Look at you. Big man on campus, eh? The last time we met you were still just the Taure's little errand boy. Now look at you - captain of the Taure Knights."

"And I do recall you were still an honorable human being at the time." Oliver replied coldly, his blue eyes cutting deep.

"Ooh." I groaned, pretending to be in pain. "Boo hoo, that really hurts, Oli-wolly." He glared at me in silence for a time before speaking up again. Oliver got down to one knee, so we were at eye level.

"What happened to you, Makara?" He asked, the sound of hurt obvious in his voice. Truthfully that tone still hurt me, but I didn't let it show. "We planned a future together and everything. Why did you..."

"I already told you why." I growled in response. My anger rose as he opened up old wounds one by one. My voice dropped to a pained whisper. "...I refuse to marry the man who sent my father to execution."

"Your father was a thief!" He retorted furiously. "And a murderer! You can deny it all you want, but you know I did what I had to! It was for justice."

"Justice this, justice that..." I laughed bitterly. "You knew my father. He was a good man. Those men he killed and stole from were evil! They had it coming! Wasn't it your dream to be Robin Hood, anyways?"

"Why are you bringing that up now?" He sighed in exasperation. "We were children. Besides, you were the one that wanted to be a knight."

"Well I guess we switched roles now." I replied with a smile. "Are you happy? You've finally caught me. After you lock me up, I'll just be another point in your book of 'justice'."

"No, Makara." He said quietly. "You're not going to jail...you're...you're to be executed tomorrow morning." I felt my heart drop to my stomach.

"...Well." I said, keeping my voice steady. "...Like father like daughter, I suppose."

"Makara!" Oliver groaned, suddenly pulling me into a tight embrace. He cursed himself bitterly. "My feelings for you are not dead. No matter how many times I tell myself...seeing you like this is killing me. Please. Just give up on this treacherous lifestyle. I'm the captain of the Taure Knights, I know I can still save you! But you have to let me...please..."

"Oliver..." I began. He locked eyes with me once again, our faces so close our noses were touching. Before I could stop myself, we both leaned in, sharing an electrifying kiss. It took me back to all those other kisses we'd once shared. Back before... The kiss lasted merely a moment before I pulled away; the look of hurt written across his face.

"It's too late." I smiled. His expression was that of a broken heart and he rested his forehead against the nape of my shoulder.

"What a mess we've made..." He said so quietly I wasn't sure I'd heard him at all.


"Well, if I've gotta go..." I grinned as the soldiers led me up a small staircase to a wooden platform. "I suppose public execution is pretty cool."

A crowd gathered around the town square, three nooses hung in front of me. Two of them for the men on both sides of me, other criminals scheduled to die alongside me. The blistering heat of the summer sun high in the sky fell down like a heavy curtain.

"But hanging? I'd rather have the guillotine. It's classier, don't you think?" I asked the soldiers holding my arms who ignored me. I had tried to undo the rope around my wrist all night to no avail. The man on my left began sobbing and begging for mercy. I, however, along with the man to my right, kept from crying due to pride. The crowd jeered and screamed hateful comments out at us.

"I wanted to have my own personal executioner." The man on my right said, humoring me. 

"But what if they weren't strong enough to cut all the way through your neck?" I countered.

"I guess that's true." He nodded thoughtfully.

"Chop, chop, chop..." I sang.

"Both of you shut yer traps!" One of the soldiers who had been ignoring me yelled out. "Making me sick, you disgusting criminals!"

We both snickered.

"These three criminals standing before you have all committed heinous deeds too evil to take back!" One of the soldiers announced as the crowd hissed and cheered. He read off our names one by one and what we'd been charged for.

"Thieving?" I grinned at the man to my right. He nodded. "Nice." A smile played at the end of his lips and we were once again shushed by the soldiers. Strangely, I felt a bit more at ease knowing I'd be going down with a fellow thief. I looked out among the crowd. In the very back, furthest away, Oliver stood watching, a group of soldiers positioned beside him. Suddenly I was being pushed forward, the noose being placed around my neck. A sudden rush of terror fled over me, a million thoughts racing. The executioner got ready to pull the handle that would cause us to fall. I looked out at Oliver one last time before...

An arrow whizzed by, cutting the noose in half! The soldiers behind me screamed as they fell back, arrows piercing their armor. The crowd went into a wild frenzy, running off in all directions. Arrows flew around in the air and I finally realized what was happening when members of my den appeared to fight the Taure Knights! Rein soon rode up on a horse.

"Come on!" He screamed at the bottom of the platform, a bloody sword in one hand. I grinned ear to ear and jumped down. He easily cut off the ropes tying me back then handed me a sword. "Miss me?"

"You cheeky bastard!" I laughed. "I'm so going to kill you later!"

"Let's get out of here!" He grinned, holding a hand out to me. I almost took it then paused.

"Hold on!" I said, climbing back onto the platform. I cut loose the man to my right who grinned in thanks. He grabbed one of the swords of the dead soldiers then escaped into the chaos. Hopping onto Rein's horse, we rode out, cutting down anyone that dare got in our way. The soldiers were no match for my skilled thieves and we made our escape with ease, weaving through the city.

"This was all a plan." I shook my head in disbelief at Rein's audacity. "I hate you. But I love you. How much money did you get from my bounty?"

"Oh, you know." Rein grinned. "Enough to keep us alive for a few more years. And get us that vacation to the tropics." I laughed in response.

Before we fled the city, I caught a glimpse of Oliver, our eyes locking. It was like slow motion as we rode by. I was surprised to see that he actually looked...happy. I grinned.

"Catch me if you can!" I howled at the top of my lungs.


This was a lot longer than I thought it was going to be. xD

But I hope you enjoyed it :) Thanks for reading! <3