Game of Life

Story Starters~ :3

What do you see when you hear the word "monster"? Maybe a demon? The antagonist in a horror movie you saw once? Monsters are things I've had to fight my entire life. They're as real as you and I, and where I live, they've become part of daily lives. Can you even imagine it? Not having the freedom to walk outside at night? Having to barricade your house when the sun sets?

This is what life is like every single day in Razor-Raw City, a dark, cutthroat city where only the strong have a right to live. I know what you're thinking - "if it's that bad, why don't you just leave?" Oh gee, why didn't I (along with the other 100,000 plus residents) think of that? 

It's because we don't want to. Outside of our demented city's walls await even more monsters. Only out there, you're not separated from them by steel walls. It's the life we live and that's how it will always be. 

~~

The moonlight poured past my curtains, lighting the room in a bluish-white. Slowly, I raised from my bed and stretched my arms out. The moonlight was suddenly blocked out by a dark figure. I turned to meet the red eyes of a beast hanging onto the bars just beyond the bulletproof glass. It's skin was as black as a shadow with strange, tribal, white symbols covering it from head to toe. It glared at me through four, hungry crimson eyes that glowed. The monster snarled viciously trying to break past the bars, flashing two sets of white teeth that jaggedly poked out at different angles. I only smiled. Looks like the first prey of the night found me insted. The cellphone sitting on my nightstand buzzed. I picked it up and read the new text.

"Hope you're awake, Ivycakes. Meet me in 15, I've got another job for you.  -Con"

The disgusting pet name made me grimace. Still, I quickly got dressed, snatching up my trademark dual pistols and hunting knife. I left my room, not bothering to lock the door behind me - I had nothing worth stealing. I made my way to the apartment's lobby, stopping just before the thick steel doors leading out.

"Going hunting again?" Lawrence, the desk clerk asks.

"What do you think?" I say coldly. He only smiles and walks over to help me with the doors.

"Be safe." He opens the door and the second I jump out, he slams it shut and locks it back up. Standing before me a whole three feet taller, is the same monster that had been outside of my window.

"How sweet of you to wait for me." I smile. I pull out my pistols.

~~

"You're early." Con commends me. As always he was dressed sharply - clean black suit, shiny shoes, a fadora sitting atop his head. He reclies in his chair and props his feet up onto his desk. "As expected of a bounty hunter of your skills, Ivycakes."

"How many times do I have to tell you to cut the stupid nicknames?" I growl. "It's Roseworth."

"But that boy you're always with calls you Ivy." He smiles.

"Wick and Mr. Antic are the only ones with the right to call me by my first name."

"But aren't we friends, Ivycheeks?" Con purrs. "After all, I'm the one who granted you another chance at the game of life."

"Shove it. I'm here for my next mission. Do you have it or not?" A dark grin makes its way onto Con's face.

My name is Ivy Roseworth. I'm a bounty hunter - I kill monsters for a living. Con is my employer.

Oh, and one last thing - I'm dead.


I've had this story in my head for a couple weeks. It's one that I'd actually like to finish :) Maybe I will. Most likely I won't. xD